Sam Mendes Wants to return for Bond 24

edited November 2012 in SPECTRE Posts: 9,770
http://www.contactmusic.com/news/skyfall-director-sam-mendes-in-line-for-another-bond-film_3332813

Lets See eon wants him and he wants to do it so.....

Sam Mendes for Bond 24 I hope :D

Comments

• tqbtqb
    It'd be best to let him take a break and let someone else try something first
  • Risico007 wrote:
    http://www.contactmusic.com/news/skyfall-director-sam-mendes-in-line-for-another-bond-film_3332813

Lets See eon wants him and he wants to do it so.....

Sam Mendes for Bond 24 I hope :D

I believe EON offers every director a chance to return the next film, even Forater, so this could be good!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    tqb wrote:
    It'd be best to let him take a break and let someone else try something first

A break from what? John Glen directed 4 Bond movies in a row. More recently David Yates directed the last 4 Potter movies in a row. What the series needs is some consistency and to capitalise on the momentum of what they've reignited. Mendes understands Bond and isn't looking to just direct Bond anyhow. He's established a direction that suitably evolves from CR and it only makes sense to reaffirm this new direction by implementing an element of consistency.
    On top of all of that Mendes managed to captain the whole production in such a way that it never felt overwhelming and kept the atmosphere simple and manageable. Mendes not coming back especially if he wants to would be crazy.
    I never knew Martin Cambell was not British.

Any way, have to say I am quite surprised Mendes is talking of coming back. Good news if true. As double ego says, we need some consistency. No director has directed two on the trot since Glen and only Cambell has returned to do more than one.
    Interesting news, though I'll have to watch Skyfall before I decide whether I think of it as good news. As has been mentioned, other directors have taken the helm for far longer in a row, so this would not be a problem.
    This is older then the reüport on im taking some steps back.
  • @ double0ego- Glen actually directed all 5 of the 1980's films.

I think I'll wait to see how Mendes does with this before clamoring for a return, but if the critics who I hear (because I won't read most of the no doubt spoiler filled SF threads at this time) are raving about the film are correct, I'm sure I won't mind if he does. Just hope he's OK with bringing QUANTUM back, if so I'm sure he'll do it right and maybe we'll find out about organizational depth and get someone close to the top as the villain.

Yes, you're right. I accidentally left out FYEO. Glen indeed directed 5 Bond movies in a row. That's incredible in itself. If SF is the success it's tracking to be then I would be genuinely shocked if EoN doesn't bring back Mendes.
    It would be a smart move by EON.
  • doubleoego wrote:
    Yes, you're right. I accidentally left out FYEO. Glen indeed directed 5 Bond movies in a row. That's incredible in itself. If SF is the success it's tracking to be then I would be genuinely shocked if EoN doesn't bring back Mendes.

Yes, but Glen and Mendes are very different types of directors. As much as we all love Bond, many of the people who work on the Bond films like variety in what they do. If Mendes was to only direct one Bond film he would still have a respected, diverse career between film and theatre. I could imagine Glen being profoundly grateful for the stability that directing Bond gave him but Mendes would likely want a change quite quickly.

edited October 2012 Posts: 11,139
    True but I'm not saying Mendes needs to do 5 Bond films. I believe SF is his 6th feature film as a director. Personally, I'd like for Mendes to direct Bond 24 and 25, capping off what we understand to be Craig's tenure...for now but the realist in me understands that in all likelihood, Mendes doing 1 more (Bond 24) would be an all round sensible idea not just for EoN but for Mendes too. I say let him do Bond 24, especially considering that he wants to and after that if he wants to work on other projects then fine, EoN can cast another director but now's not the time to risk dropping the ball when they clearly have a great working relationship with Mendes and Mendes seems to really know what he's doing and bringing back a convictive element of class and talent.
    From what i have seen and heard? I would have no objections to Sam Mendes helming Bond 24!
    The only problem with Sam Mendes returning would be that this forum would again consume sooooo much of my time, because I will be tremendously excited! B-)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    That's a shame. Well, nothing is confirmed, so time will tell.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 6,601

Benny wrote:

Like I said. Just nobody gives a *** ;)
    Germanlady wrote:
    This is older then the report on im taking some steps back.

Obviously he won't do it

Other projects announced include the National return of Skyfall director Sam Mendes, who began his career in theatre before moving into film.

The Oscar-winning director will direct a production of Shakespeare's King Lear, starring Simon Russell Beale, that will open next January.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21266738

Confirms my thoughts and I can understand him. Making a follow up to your OWN incredibly successful film can be quite scary. But it will be for all who follow him now. Nolan had the guts and energy to do it with Batman, but it took him 4 years to do it and we wouldn't want that, would we?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    If it opens in January, this may still not rule Mendes out. Don't be so certain until something official is announced.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    If it opens in January, this may still not rule Mendes out. Don't be so certain until something official is announced.

Sam did a fantastic job, but IMO 24 doesn't stand or fall with him. A new director could give it another interesting aspect. I believe that by now, more then ever, the prods KNOW, what is needed in a good Bond direcotr.

But the problem might be with another director, that the footsteps are rather huge right now and are hard to beat. Who will be confident enough? Apart from Tarantino, who is as wrong for Bond as it gets IMO.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I quite agree, if not Mendes who will step up the plate? You'd think, now more than ever, everyone would want to give it a go.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    If Mendes doesn't return, I wonder who will take over? Might they go bigger, ala giving Spielberg his long-lost chance or letting Nolan give it a go? They are both highly improbable, but you never know.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited January 2013 Posts: 2,056
    I hold out hope for Danny Boyle, but that's for another thread....

I get the feeling that if they're willing to push the film back to 2015 then Mendes will probably do it. It will give him time to go back to the theatre and fully develop B24 as well.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I worry if Mendes returns that we won't get the straight forward entry we've been hoping for, I still want the Daniel Craig version but without personal issues involved and M staying in the office, I'm afraid if Sam signs on this will have to be more than that.

Do we want the same type of film again or do we want something more traditional with a contemporary spin?
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Good point @Shardlake. We've all been going on about how it's all set for a straight forward Bond flick now, but will Mendes want that?

He's an arty director and the focus of Skyfall was almost entirely on the characters. So would he want to do a straight forward Bond on a mission film without any personal issues?

I'd like a more traditional film myself. Gunbarrel at the start, M staying in the office, Bond gets a straight forward (not personal) mission, etc. We haven't had one for a while now.
    Anyone wants to bet that the director will be either Matthew Vaughn, Joe Wright or Steven Spielberg? :)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I can't see Spielberg doing it. The fool will likely want it in 3D, and EON are too smart and refined to agree on such a stupid gimmick. Nolan knows IMAX and no weak 3D is where it is at.
    I can't see Spielberg doing it. The fool will likely want it in 3D, and EON are too smart and refined to agree on such a stupid gimmick. Nolan knows IMAX and no weak 3D is where it is at.

There is no way Spielberg would do it in 3D.

I know many fans would say there is no way Spielberg will ever direct a Bond film but I would say now or never. This is the perfect time for Spielberg to direct a Bond film.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Calling Spielberg a fool is something I cannot agree with. The man is a genius.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    DarthDimi wrote:

Calling Spielberg a fool is something I cannot agree with. The man is a genius.

I have yet to see any genius synonymous with Steven, and he hasn't given me much reason to see it either. When I look at the work of Orson Welles, Michael Curtiz, Hitchcock, Nolan and more, Spielberg gets completely drowned out and looks an amateur. I tend to lost respect for a guy that makes some films not for the love of it but for cashing in, promotes 3D as a cinematic marvel and helps Michael Bay's projects by giving him some money to help production along. If that isn't the definition of a fool I don't know what is.