Sam Mendes Wants to return for Bond 24

Comments

• RC7 wrote:
    The Chris Nolan case is like an updated version of the Spielberg saga. Chris Nolan is one of the few Director's in Hollywood who can sell a film purely on his name alone. Basically the modern day equivalent of Spielberg in his prime. I would bet good money Nolan will not get a sniff at the franchise in the next 15 years, if at all. They are making some bold decisions, but I think this is an unnecessary step too far. As the great Sir Alex Ferguson says, 'no one is bigger than the club'. I fear Nolan's star shines too brightly.

What EON need to do, is what WB had the foresight to do with Nolan, and BB. Give a director with potential a shot. The building blocks are there, they just need the vision.

Apart from the bit about Ferguson being great I think I agree.

Edgar Wright is still my first choice. EON would have to keep an eye on him and he couldn't throw in his usual references but he could still be great I think. Sadly it'll never happen.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    If that isn't the definition of a fool I don't know what is.
    Well go and search for a mirror :)

Oh, you're a clever one, aren't you? Must be a real hit at preschool.

fool
    /fo͞ol/

Noun
    A person who acts unwisely or imprudently; a silly person: "what a fool I was to do this".
    Verb
    Trick or deceive (someone); dupe.
    Adjective
    Foolish or silly.
    Synonyms
    noun. simpleton - dolt - tomfool - ninny - nincompoop-@Suivez_ce_parachute
    verb. cheat - deceive - dupe - bamboozle - hoodwink - kid
    adjective. foolish - daft - goofy - fatuous - idiotic - asinine
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    RC7 wrote:
    The Chris Nolan case is like an updated version of the Spielberg saga. Chris Nolan is one of the few Director's in Hollywood who can sell a film purely on his name alone. Basically the modern day equivalent of Spielberg in his prime. I would bet good money Nolan will not get a sniff at the franchise in the next 15 years, if at all. They are making some bold decisions, but I think this is an unnecessary step too far. As the great Sir Alex Ferguson says, 'no one is bigger than the club'. I fear Nolan's star shines too brightly.

What EON need to do, is what WB had the foresight to do with Nolan, and BB. Give a director with potential a shot. The building blocks are there, they just need the vision.

My fear is that EoN MAY be trying such an approach with Mendes but the problem with that is, time. Nolan's batman film's came out in 2005, 2008 and 2012. That's a 3 and 4 year gap, something that's not ideal for the Bond series. With Craig being EoN's golden child and SF being released 4 years after QoS, it'll be a shame to not get the mileage we should be getting with Craig. With all due respect to Mendes, especially as he's been involved since 2009 or thereabouts, what the series needs is, a great director who can prioritise making a Bond film immediately for a 2014 release. If we get an autumn 2015 release, then "congrats" Bond goes up against Avatar 2.
    Spielberg is a genius like cameron in knowing what the general public like in that Jaws, E.T and Jurassic park where the highest grossing movies ever at various different points. Has Spielberg ever done a 3d film thou just wondering his most recent one lincoln certainly was not.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Lincoln in 3D? What's the point? There is no insane action to warrant it. I could see 3D used as a gimmick in some trashy action flick with not much else to offer, but to be honest a Lincoln film has no practical need for it at all.
    I know it would be pointless waste of money in Lincoln. Spielberg did probably push for 3d in transformers 3 as bay was not up for it but did in the end tbf the 3d in transformers 3 is the best bar Avatar and life of pi.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Maybe traditional is not the right word as Benny says it suggests formulaic.
    I just worry we'll get more huge emotional moments if Mendes returns but the ending of SF suggests we are going back to a familiar place.

I really wouldn't mind 24 starting with a standalone PTS or make it seem that way and then later on it surprisingly ties in to the main plot. Have Bond go to M's office to be briefed and pop to Q branch for some banter and then off on a mission.

The rest of the film doesn't necessarily have to become a traditional entry it can play out like a Craig Bond but like SF see Bond having fun and not necessarily with him not at his best, maybe we'll see Bond more on top than we've seen in the previous 3, not a superman but moments of looking super suave and doing it with a rye trademark Craig smile. I don't imagine we are going to get GF or TB, it's going to be interesting seeing what tone these next 2 films take but I would like the big emotional moments dialled back please.

As for Mendes if he signs on and it comes out in 2015 so be it, I'm not going to have a hissy fit but something tells me some new blood would be nice, I'm not sure that lightening will necessarily strike twice.
    I would like to see him return. And the decision needs to be taken like soon, so we can have a release in 2014.
    Yh needs to be 2014 and 2015 is so crowded with huge movies anyway we need bond in 2014 lol.
    So it's been reported by Baz Bamigboye that Mendes hasn’t firmly made up his mind about directing another Bond, but has been reliably told that he’s ‘75 per cent’ of the way towards doing it. He had initially been reluctant because screenwriter John Logan was planning to write a two-part story that would have been shot back-to-back, which would have taken four years out of the director’s life.

It would have meant long stretches for the cast, too - led by Daniel Craig, Ralph Fiennes as the new M, Naomie Harris as Miss Moneypenny and Ben Whishaw playing Q.

That plan has been jettisoned, and Bond 24 and 25 will be stand-alone pictures.

At present, Logan’s thoughts for Bond 24 are in the form of two treatment papers outlining a rough idea of the plot. So, in theory, Mendes is on board, but wants to see the finished script before he fully commits.

Personally, I don't see why the two movies can't be linked and directed by two different people and shot separately rather than back-to-back.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2278914/Sam-Mendes-James-Bond-sights-Skyfalls-phenomenal-box-office-success.html
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    It's looking good!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Rumor or not, it's very interesting, and I wouldn't mind having him return!
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    It's very interesting, and I like the way things are shaping up.
    @bondsum I think the idea behind 24 and 25 being linked was to make something like CR-QoS, a direct continuation, and I think the style of the different directors was detrimental to the end result. I think stand alone pictures doesn't mean they are not connected at all, but that they are separate adventures, just like we had for most of the franchise. Thanks for posting the news!
    Well, we certainly want him back! SkyFall was a great success and ranks highly with most everyone here, so yes! Bring him back! It would be cool if he went on to become a sort of John Glen or Guy Hamilton and direct multiple Bond movies!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    This is great to know and has been on the cards for some time now. Next I'd love to know when production is due to begin. January/February perhaps?

Keep it coming Baz!
    I hope this rumor is true (the fact that B24 and B25 are NOT interconnected stories).

The series has lasted over 50 years because, for the most part, the movies have not been interconnected. I'm not saying that you cannot have an overarching villain like Quantum or SPECTRE, but I think all the films should be standalone pictures.
    Whether or not this Mendes news is true, I love the fact that we have the same writer in Logan for Bond 24 and 25. It brings that same style and understanding of Bond back again that we saw in Skyfall, which is great. Instead of separate styled films by different writers Skyfall, Bond 24 and 25 should feel like very consistent Bond films when we have Logan writing them all, where it should feel akin to the other films he has written in the series, if that makes any sense.
  • RC7RC7
    Whether or not this Mendes news is true, I love the fact that we have the same writer in Logan for Bond 24 and 25. It brings that same style and understanding of Bond back again that we saw in Skyfall, which is great. Instead of separate styled films by different writers Skyfall, Bond 24 and 25 should feel like very consistent Bond films when we have Logan writing them all, where it should feel akin to the other films he has written in the series, if that makes any sense.

It will be interesting to see. SF is still primarily a P+W film, so taking that into account I expect a noticable shift in 24.
  • I trust this Baz guy, and I'm certain Mendes will return. Baz clearly is in the loop, here's a small photo at the top of the page with him and Mendes at the BAFTAs.
    http://www.rexfeatures.com/search/?kw=sam+mendes&iso=GBR&lkw=&viah=Y&stk=N&sft=&search_action_desktop=
    It may well be that the '75%' quote is from the man himself.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    As a Nigerian I rarely trust my own people but Baz is one of the few I can place a generous amount of faith in. That being said, Mendes and various members of tge EoN family/alumni have given us plenty of affirmation signals to return for the next outing. The only concern I have is, will Bond 24 be here before the end of 2014? I'm not interested in a 3 year gap. Craig to me, is an amazing Bond and I'd like to get as many Bond movies out if him as possible. If Mendes can't get us a 2014 release, then EoN for the love of strawberries get us a capable director who can!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    EON probably think that because SF did the billion not unlike TDK that a longer wait will do it no harm and lets be honest despite the fact TDKR was for me the worst of the trilogy it's box office certainly didn't suffer.

I'd rather see Bond 24 in Nov 2014 but if we have to wait we have to wait, although I was delighted with how Skyfall turned out I'm still a little cautious to what kind of film it will take Mendes to commit. The emotional weight of SF does not need repeated again and I think we'd all like to see something a bit more relaxed and fun without the kind of moments we had in Bond 23 and will Mendes want to make that kind of film?
  • tqbtqb
    If he does return, I hope the film is different than Skyfall (not saying that SF was bad or anything) but a different tone etc.
    interesting well we'll see soon enough I wonder if Logan's two page outline has a title....

:D
  • Risico007 wrote:
    interesting well we'll see soon enough I wonder if Logan's two page outline has a title....:D

You know what, it likely does.
    'Skyfall' was the title of the script draft Logan was working on back in April 2011, I guess it either just stuck or the team grew rather attached to it.

• MrBondMrBond Station S
    Risico007 wrote:
    interesting well we'll see soon enough I wonder if Logan's two page outline has a title....:D

'Skyfall' was the title of the script draft Logan was working on back in April 2011, I guess it either just stuck or the team grew rather attached to it.

No, as far as i know the draft was titled "Silver Bullet" before it became Skyfall much later on.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I just think it's cool how excited (I would surmise) all of us are for the next film, and to know somewhere out there, tons of plot points, twists, lines of dialogue, and action sequences are more than likely confirmed, and the film still has 21 months until the earliest possible release.
  • MrBond wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:

No, as far as i know the draft was titled "Silver Bullet" before it became Skyfall much later on.

There was also a stage where it was called "Once Upon A Spy", I think.
    edited February 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Shardlake wrote:
    EON probably think that because SF did the billion not unlike TDK that a longer wait will do it no harm and lets be honest despite the fact TDKR was for me the worst of the trilogy it's box office certainly didn't suffer.

There's a big difference between a film that gets a massive box office and is trash and one that is a great film in its own right (TDKR). It may have taken a hit for its ambition and looser script and may not be the best of the Batman Trilogy, but TDKR is no lesser an immaculate film worthy of the praise and commercial success it has garnered.
  • RC7RC7
    Risico007 wrote:

Wade added the title SF - remember P&W wrote SF, Logan added dialogue and polish.
  • RC7RC7

There's a big difference between a film that gets a massive box office and is trash and one that is a great film in its own right (TDKR). It may have taken a hit for its ambition and looser script and may not be the best of the Batman Trilogy, but TDKR is no lesser an immaculate film worthy of the praise and commercial success it has garnered.

TDKR is good, but it is not even close to immaculate.