Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited April 2018 Posts: 9,117

he believes it is time the explorer took “a different form”.

What's that supposed to mean? Why not have him played by a dog then?

"We’d have to change the name from Jones to Joan. And there would be nothing wrong with that.”
    That doesn't even make sense. Why would she be called Indiana Joan?

What is wrong with people that they are so desperate to spout this drivel they ignore all rules of logic and coherence?

There is already a female Indiana Jones - she's called Lara Croft - so what on earth would be the point of this except to tick an exceedingly wearisome box?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Who knows if he even said those things.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I hope he didn't, because that would mean he's gotten dementia already.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

"We’d have to change the name from Jones to Joan. And there would be nothing wrong with that.”
    That doesn't even make sense. Why would she be called Indiana Joan?

That part jumped out at me, as well. It doesn't make sense.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Other than a few rebellions, who's going to be really interested in an Indiana Joan movie? I sure won't.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    It's the same for Indy as it would be for Bond, change the gender and it's an entirely different character.
    There already is a female Indiana Jones. Her name is Lara Croft. Why would anybody want to change that? It’s beyond me, to be honest.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    It's basically trying to cash in on an existing IP, Disney are already in the process of diluting Star Wars, Indy is next expect alot of bad ideas being presented on how to squeeze money out of the franchise.
    Why do I feel like one day in the not so distant future I'll be the old guy pining for the days when my heroes were the ones I started out with and not altered to fit what somebody thinks is a fair idea at a given time and have no semblance of who they were? Wasn't it enough that we were threatened with Shia LaBouf continuing the Indy series?

If it has to come to that, just leave the series as is and let us enjoy the trilogy - or 4 if you like KOTCS - and leave it at that. The new Star Wars are fine with a new female heroine because she's new. What's next, Hanna Solo?
    That’s exactly why they’re one of those companies I passionately despise.
    There already is a female Indiana Jones. Her name is Lara Croft. Why would anybody want to change that? It’s beyond me, to be honest.
    aIpCigG6WvTS.gif

There is already a female Indiana Jones - she's called Lara Croft - so what on earth would be the point of this except to tick an exceedingly wearisome box?

Better phrased, Wiz. But, then again, you’re unbeatable in that department. ;)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Take the keys away from Steven and lock up the franchise forever.
    raiders_of_the_lost_ark_warehouse_scene.jpg
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I'd much rather give them the opportunity to make this new one and end the franchise on a good note instead of having it end with whatever Crystal Skull was.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I pretend it ended with The Last Crusade. Crystal Skull doesn't exist.
    last_crusade_ride.jpg

Perfect ending
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Murdock wrote: »
    I pretend it ended with The Last Crusade. Crystal Skull doesn't exist.
    Except that it does.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Why do I feel like one day in the not so distant future I'll be the old guy pining for the days when my heroes were the ones I started out with and not altered to fit what somebody thinks is a fair idea at a given time and have no semblance of who they were?

I'm pretty much already there. ;)

Collider are currently doing a Spielberg Movies Top Ten countdown, personally Raiders would have just made number 1 for me narrowly beating Jaws
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Munich would be my number one, followed by Saving Private Ryan and Jaws, respectively.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Munich would be my number one, followed by Saving Private Ryan and Jaws, respectively.

Still not watched Munich got a few weeks off at end of the month will catch up on back log of films I need to watch. Raiders and Jaws I watched along with Close Encounters hundreds of times as a kid, I guess the films are ingrained.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited April 2018 Posts: 6,738
    I'd like Indiana Jones 5 to go back to the tone of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Less sidekicks, no relatives, slightly more serious.

And give us snow.
    Indiana Joan. That IS pretty funny, actually. If Spielberg were serious, though, this would be immensely idiotic.

Now, call me foolish........... call me irresponsible, but it occurs to me that we're living in an era where stupidity is immensely popular. With articles like this, it seems to me, being a dumb a$$ in this day and age is almost as popular as The Beatles were in 1964.

TBH, as glad as I am that Ford is coming back, I do think LAST CRUSADE was a fitting end to the series. As long as it's being dragged out, though, I'm hoping INDY 5 will be decent. However, I kind of want the series end with this one.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Indiana Joan. That IS pretty funny, actually. If Spielberg were serious, though, this would be immensely idiotic.

Now, call me foolish........... call me irresponsible, but it occurs to me that we're living in an era where stupidity is immensely popular. With articles like this, it seems to me, being a dumb a$$ in this day and age is almost as popular as The Beatles were in 1964.

TBH, as glad as I am that Ford is coming back, I do think LAST CRUSADE was a fitting end to the series. As long as it's being dragged out, though, I'm hoping INDY 5 will be decent. However, I kind of want the series end with this one.
    This is precisely where I stand as well.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Why do I feel like one day in the not so distant future I'll be the old guy pining for the days when my heroes were the ones I started out with and not altered to fit what somebody thinks is a fair idea at a given time and have no semblance of who they were?
    Utterly depressing. Which is why I give a reasonable amount of credence to the 'Bond mentoring a young female sidekick' rumours. Not because the source is or isn't particularly believable, just that we're currently at the crest of the #metoo wave so if they want to get on the bandwagon EON need to do it for this film. Let's just say I don't think we'll be getting a rebooted Dink in B25.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I'd like Indiana Jones 5 to go back to the tone of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Less sidekicks, no relatives, slightly more serious.
    I think you'd be very lucky to get even one of those.

Things like these make you glad that Eon are still in charge of Bond. Because, no matter how absurd the Brofeld stunt would sound like, they'd still wouldn't succumb to Hollywood's idiocy of cashing in on the bandwagon trends like radically changing the character's genders, etc.
    Things like these make you glad that Eon are still in charge of Bond. Because, no matter how absurd the Brofeld stunt would sound like, they'd still wouldn't succumb to Hollywood's idiocy of cashing in on the bandwagon trends like radically changing the character's genders, etc.
    I wish I had your confidence Mr Devlin, but I guess it's not like EON have a history of jumping on the latest bandwagon or ripping off other films:

Exhibit A: LALD - Blacksploitation
    Exhibit B: TMWTGG - Chop socky
    Exhibit C: MR - Star Wars
    Exhibit D: QOS - Bourne
    Exhibit E: SF - TDK
    Exhibit F: SP - The Room

I wish I had your confidence Mr Devlin, but I guess it's not like EON have a history of jumping on the latest bandwagon or ripping off other films:

Very good points, Wiz. I can't argue with those. But, I can easily tell the day they make Bond a female is the day I stop following the film series. Good thing we still have the classics to watch and celebrate.

Very good points, Wiz. I can't argue with those. But, I can easily tell the day they make Bond a female is the day I stop following the film series. Good thing we still have the classics to watch and celebrate.
    I think anyone sane is with you there.

Even an expanded universe spin off on Netflix with a female 00 would be utterly depressing.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 5,767
    Jones is Indy´s last name. Indiana sounds already like a girl´s name. So how could anyone possibly seriously suggest "Indiana Joan"?

Incidentally I felt like watching Crystal Skull last night and noticed that more than any CGI or other stuff (I was never disturbed by the fridge) I was bothered by how low-octane the film is. You can say about the characters and CGI what you want, but even without that, the film is just lame in the most direct sense of the word.