Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I love the first three films and tolerate the fourth, I can't help think Indy 5 will get the Die Hard 6 treatment, Disney will want to kick start the Indy cash cow one way or another.
    Sad to see so many here ragging on George Lucas when he was the man that brought both Star Wars and Indy to the big screen to begin with. Wait till you get to see what David Koepp's done with Indy 5 before you start celebrating the loss of Lucas from the creative process. Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was the very same David Koepp that wrote wonderful The Crystal Skull screenplay that a lot of you seem to despise. Still, can't be any worse than those new Disney Star War movies that are stinking up the multiplexes. At least it has a fighting chance with Spielberg in charge, even though it's not his own creation. Fingers crossed.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I still think that Indy4 could have worked much better with the same storyline, if it had significantly dialed back the digital excess and the mugging Shia.
    A greater reliance on practical filmmaking is what Dr. Jones needs.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited March 2018 Posts: 40,488
    bondsum wrote: »
    Sad to see so many here ragging on George Lucas when he was the man that brought both Star Wars and Indy to the big screen to begin with. Wait till you get to see what David Koepp's done with Indy 5 before you start celebrating the loss of Lucas from the creative process. Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was the very same David Koepp that wrote wonderful The Crystal Skull screenplay that a lot of you seem to despise. Still, can't be any worse than those new Disney Star War movies that are stinking up the multiplexes. At least it has a fighting chance with Spielberg in charge, even though it's not his own creation. Fingers crossed.

You mean the guy who wrote Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, Inferno, and The Mummy? Can't say that inspires any sort of confidence in the script for me at all.

I had assumed everyone found the screenplay for KOTCS to be garbage, but I suppose not.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I actually enjoyed Indy 4, so I'm not much worried about this one, as long as the script is solid. My main concern is that it's going to star someone else in the role with Ford bookending the movie.
    Walecs wrote: »
    I actually enjoyed Indy 4, so I'm not much worried about this one, as long as the script is solid. My main concern is that it's going to star someone else in the role with Ford bookending the movie.

I'd like to think they won't try that again after their failed attempt with KOTCS, but who knows. They shouldn't back themselves into a corner or anything, could always do a soft reboot of sorts of the series with a new, younger actor in a few years time.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I'd like to think they won't try that again after their failed attempt with KOTCS, but who knows. They shouldn't back themselves into a corner or anything, could always do a soft reboot of sorts of the series with a new, younger actor in a few years time.

Exactly. Have this be Ford's movie, then reboot the series with a younger actor in a few years.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    And I thought my enthusiasm for B25 was at a low ebb.

Simply don't see how this can be any good. People laughed at Rog in AVTAK at the age of 58; imagine if he had gone on for another 20 years?!

Harrison just about got away with it in KOTCS but that's a decade ago.

At the end of the day Harrison simply can't be credible doing decent action scenes can he? So they're going to have come up with some sort of idea to get round that fact - be it flashbacks or a younger sidekick to take the punches, neither of which I would be happy with.

You'd like to think it can't be as bad as KOTCS but to say I'm reserving judgement is putting it mildly.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 15,818
    There's a lot in INDY 4 I liked, especially the 1957 setting. I thought Harrison looked great in the classic attire and had some great moments.

My biggest problem is I didn't find Shia remotely likable, and he didn't seem appropriate to the time period. His D.A. was awful and looked nothing like that style of that era.
    The film also seemed to lack a nice big climactic set piece akin to the truck chase in RAIDERS, the tank sequence in LAST CRUSADE or the roller coaster ride/bridge sequence in TEMPLE.

Still I'm very excited about INDY 5 and have confidence it will probably make up for CRYSTAL SKULL's shortcomings.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

You mean the guy who wrote Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, Inferno, and The Mummy? Can't say that inspires any sort of confidence in the script for me at all.

I had assumed everyone found the screenplay for KOTCS to be garbage, but I suppose not.

Ha ha. That's the one. You also forgot the abysmal War of the Worlds remake. I'll give him the first Mission Impossible script, but he does happen to share writing credits with the legendary Robert Towne, which might explain why it's so much better than anything else he's written.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    edited March 2018 Posts: 754
    Lucas created classic perfect greatness by which all our measured with SW, TESB and ROTLA... but then systematically, slowly ruined it all. TOD is okay, I mean I love it, but it's just ok. TLC isoverated and too cartoony thanks more to Spielberg's lame job.

KOCS was a lost opportunity with that amazing cast and I think Ford looked great and could have delivered with a great script/direction. But the script was a Frankenstein mess of many writers and Lucas' required approval to shoot. Spielberg was as much a problem and will continue to be so with Indy 5... he makes it cartoony instead of concentrating on action packed, suspenseful thrill ride. He should stick to historical films at this point in his career.

That said, I love Indiana Jones and will hope and pray against all odds this turns out good.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    1. Raiders
    2. Temple
    3. Crusade
    4. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    1. Raiders

2. Crusade

3. Temple

4. Skull
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 832
    I don't even hate skull, they're all entertaining at least. Apologies for the space in my comment. For me raiders is substantially better than any of the others, such that any comparison between them is absurd, and the distance between temple and skull needed to be proportional.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    1. Raiders

2. Crusade

3. Temple

4. Skull

That's my rating Raiders is a truly great film IMO one of Spielberg's best.
    If Indy 5 is on the level of the last Star Wars movie I´ll be a happy man indeed.

boldfinger wrote: »
    If Indy 5 is on the level of the last Star Wars movie I´ll be a happy man indeed.
    I take it this is irony?
    I take it this is irony?

I can't tell anymore. I sadly couldn't finish the latest Star Wars - finally got a chance to see it, but way, way, way too goofy and comedic for my tastes.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Love Star Wars like I love JB but I’ll be skipping the Rian Johnson trilogy. So glad he’s off episode IX
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited March 2018 Posts: 16,331
    Why does this need dug up again? There's nothing else to see.
    Vampire-Skeleton-Featured.png
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 1,661
    I read an item about a new Die Hard film and it's sort of a prequel and a modern setting all in one. Basically, the idea is to show cop John McClane as a youngster and then flash forward to the present day with Bruce Willis' older version. I mention this because it may be a way to do a final Harrison Ford Indiana Jones film. You have a fair bit of the plot with Indy in his late 20s (with a new actor in the role) then bookend it with Ford's Indy on one final mission. Obviously the two storylines would have to link up - the younger Indy fails to find the stolen relic (set in the 1920s) and the older Indy (set in the 1960s) finds the relic. Something like that could work.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The actual outcome of the nuked fridge! ;)

gfrWV54.png
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    I read an item about a new Die Hard film and it's sort of a prequel and a modern setting all in one. Basically, the idea is to show cop John McClane as a youngster and then flash forward to the present day with Bruce Willis' older version. I mention this because it may be a way to do a final Harrison Ford Indiana Jones film. You have a fair bit of the plot with Indy in his late 20s (with a new actor in the role) then bookend it with Ford's Indy on one final mission. Obviously the two storylines would have to link up - the younger Indy fails to find the stolen relic (set in the 1920s) and the older Indy (set in the 1960s) finds the relic. Something like that could work.
    And then the young version could then find a time machine and bang! problem solved new young actor and still continuation of the timeline :-)!

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    And then the young version could then find a time machine and bang! problem solved new young actor and still continuation of the timeline :-)!

I actually like the sound of that.
    Young new actor Indy could even jump to the presence and help the Avengers out!
    Crystal Skull was fun. Should have made John Hurts character Abner Ravenwood though instead of a random character. Ive a feeling we will be seeing Indy 5 before Bond 25 at this rate.
    Ooooh I like that idea!
    Abner is said to be dead in Raiders. Sure, they could retcon that, but why?

At the same time, I wish Indy had been accompanied by Marion only and the scooby gang had been left out of that mess.
    Abner is said to be dead in Raiders. Sure, they could retcon that, but why?

At the same time, I wish Indy had been accompanied by Marion only and the scooby gang had been left out of that mess

Now there's an idea for a thread!! Rank the Scooby gangs!!

SP, Indy 4, the MI films err any more?

To be fair despite the flak we all give them I think SP's might actually be the least irritating!!
    You know, @Wiz, sometimes I get dizzy reading your post.