Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• edited March 2016 Posts: 4,813
    Young Indy could have been great, but it didn't have even the slightest bit of tone from the movies. Watching an episode of Young Indy felt more like Forrest Gump (how he repeatedly meets real life famous people) but with more HISTORY AND EDUCATION shoved down our throats!!
    Remember in Elementary school when they'd try to trick us into watching something blatantly educational and boring, but you were fooled because there was action sprinkled in? That's Young Indy in a nutshell... :-q

On that note, remember in Crystal Skull when WWII was only briefly talked about? Man, what a missed opportunity...
    Imagine what could have been the 4th Indy movie in the mid to late 90's. It didn't even have to follow the 'Indy Formula' where he had to go out finding an artifact! It's the character we love, not just the archaeology! It could have been "Indiana Jones and the Intent of Not Getting Killed Because it's Fucking World War Two" ;) I'd love to see that movie!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Would love to see a WW2 Indy film once they eventually reboot.
    I think Ford will play a Connery type role due to the age factor. Does this mean Shia will return too?
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I think Ford will play a Connery type role due to the age factor. Does this mean Shia will return too?

My thoughts exactly.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

My thoughts exactly.

I hope not. There needs to be totally clean break with KOTC.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Does this mean Shia will return too?
    Please.
    No.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

full.jpg
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    So they announced the movie, and with Ford's age, I was hesitant: he'll be in his late-70's by the time it's out, so we're either getting a lot of CG (not good) or tons and tons of stunt doubles/stunt work (better than nothing)...BUT, I thought, there's absolutely no way it can be any worse than 'Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.' Fine, I'll retain some optimism...

...until I see that they hire one of the screenwriters from 'Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.' They picked the absolute last person they should've chosen to write the script for this, and with that, all optimism is out the door.
    If they're trying to make a good movie, then bringing back Shia is the exact opposite direction they should be going
    At this rate, I won't be surprised if the next casting announcement is the return of the CG monkeys from the vine-swinging scene in KOTCS.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

f2ilsdszhmvxppli6qrm.gif

Creasy47 wrote: »
    At this rate, I won't be surprised if the next casting announcement is the return of the CG monkeys from the vine-swinging scene in KOTCS.
    I'd rather see them return than Mr. LaBouf...
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'd rather see them return than Mr. LaBouf...

Both were poison to KOTCS, and both would be poison to 'Indy 5.' Never again.
    Indiana Jones and The Vampires On The Moon.

Set in 1969.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited March 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Seriously how can people overseeing spending millions of dollars have this conversation:

'Who shall we get as scriptwriter?'
    'I think the guy who wrote KOTCS is available.'
    'Sign him up right away.'

It's like saying 'who shall we get to write the next James Bond film?' 'Get me the guys who wrote DAD.' Oh wait.

They might as well bring George Lucas back and be done with it.
    Seriously how can people overseeing spending millions of dollars have this conversation:

It's like saying 'who shall we get to write the next James Bond film?' 'Get me the guys who wrote DAD.' Oh wait.

They might threaten him if he writes another bad one... then it might be good.... just sayin'.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    This was interesting from Collider.com. Darabont Is a good writer, does anyone know what his script involved?

was personally holding out hope that a different Indiana Jones 4 scribe would be enlisted for this latest film: Frank Darabont. The Shawshank Redemption filmmaker famously wrote a script that Spielberg and Ford apparently sparked to, but which Lucas did not. Given that a unanimous vote of confidence has been the deciding factor in all Indy films, Darabont’s script was tossed, and he was none too pleased. His script made its way online and was much better than the final version of Crystal Skull we got, so I was hoping he might finally get to bring Indiana Jones to the screen, but alas, Spielberg has chosen Koepp for the gig
    I dont have much optimism for this new indy movie unfortunately. One major concern is Ford. The action scenes in TFA may have worked, but indy is totally different, and requires much more physicality and involvement from Ford.

Two words... 'Part time'. This honest trailer never gets old.

Two words... 'Part time'. This honest trailer never gets old.
    Dude, people age.
    Or get mileage.
    Whatever.
    Honest trailers don't discriminate, they poke fun at great movies also... Its a joke.
    Honest trailers don't discriminate, they poke fun at great movies also... Its a joke.
    "It's not funny man!" -Hudson

Okay, it's funny.

:))
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    As has been said, a mixed bag

Koepp’s work as writer or co-writer:
    1988 Apartment Zero
    1990 Bad Influence
    1990 Dark Angel
    1990 Why Me?
    1991 Toy Soldiers
    1992 Death Becomes Her
    1993 Carlito's Way
    1993 Jurassic Park
    1994 Suspicious
    1994 The Shadow
    1994 The Paper
    1996 The Trigger Effect
    1996 Mission: Impossible
    1997 The Lost World: Jurassic Park
    1998 Snake Eyes
    1999 Stir of Echoes
    2002 Spider-Man
    2002 Panic Room
    2004 Secret Window
    2005 Zathura: A Space Adventure
    2005 War of the Worlds
    2008 Ghost Town
    2008 Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    2009 Angels & Demons
    2011 The Little Engine That Could
    2012 Premium Rush
    2014 Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit
    Crystal Skull was a patch job though wasn't it? Frank Darabont wrote a draft at one point and I'm pretty sure there were more writers too, plus Spielberg and Lucas added ideas, etc. Criticising them for hiring this writer to write the new one is like criticising EON for bringing back Purvis and Wade to write CR after DAD.

As for the film itself I'm excited. I thought the last one was fun apart from the overuse of CGI and I don't think I'll ever not be excited for an Indiana Jones film. I think the only way it can work is a dual narrative with an older and younger Indy because the action and stuntwork are such a huge part of the series that a film focusing entirely on a 70 year old Ford just wouldn't work imo.

I think a film without Ford would have probably been better actually. As much as people hate Crystal Skull it gave pretty much the best possible ending for that version of the character (well second best, he already had a great ending when he rode off into the sunset at the end of Last Crusade). And what the series needs to continue is a new take on it. That's why Bond lasted so long.

If they recast an actor and do a dual narrative, then the actor is limited in what he can do with the role. At best, he'll be doing a really good Harrison Ford impression, and he'll never be as good the series will never be able to move out of Fords shadow. What they need is a Roger Moore equivalent. Someone to make the role their own and prove that the series has life after Ford. And they can't do that if they still have Harrison playing older Indy in the future because then he has to try and play Ford's version rather than a new take.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 45,489
    How about the evil Empire invades our galaxy and Indiana Jones battles sith lords in the next one?

Teaming up with a wookie.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Not sure if this has been posted somewhere here, but I thought it was 'newsworthy' regarding both the Jason Bourne & Indiana Jones characters going forward.

Asked by Variety senior film and media writer Brent Lang about continuing “Indiana Jones” for even more sequels, Marshall said it could happen. “It’s all about the story. I think both in the ‘Jason Bourne’ series and on ‘Indiana Jones,’ we are not going to do the Bond thing,” Marshall said, referring to rotating different actors through the title roles in the two franchises that he oversees. “We think those characters are iconic, and those are the only actors who can play that.”

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/frank-marshall-indiana-jones-harrison-ford-cinemacon-1201750527/
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited April 2016 Posts: 4,399

Seriously?.. You would rather just have that?

I trust Koepp under Spielberg's supervision more than I trust George Lucas as the grand overseer on a project... a writer is only going to write what he is told to write - he didn't come up with all the stupid gag ideas that plagued KOTCS - it all reeked of a senile George Lucas, who was more concerned about dumbing things down so the kiddies would enjoy it - much like he did for the prequel Star Wars trilogy..

plus i thought it was common knowledge that Tamahori and his wife took a chainsaw to the script that P&W wrote for DAD, and were really the ones responsible for the mess created on that film.
    My main issue with skull was the fact it was all set up like nothing had changed. He was still the same Indiana Jones, just with higher trousers. If any film wanted a "lured iut of retirement for one more adventure" approach to the characters motivation it was this. The references were too glaring, mack was incoherent, gah!! In getting angry just thinking about it. Terrible film.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    My main issue with Skull was that punk Shia LeBeouf from the Transformers series. I'm tired of flavour of the month wannabees potentially infecting classic franchises.
    Thankfully, they've stated that there aren't plans to recast Indy, so hopefully we don't have some young tag-along the entire movie that is overstaying his welcome, just so he can "pick up the hat" at the end of the movie and become Indy.