Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

There's quite a bit I liked in Crystal Skull, and Harrison looked great. With Shia, there wasn't enough about him that suggested the 1950's greaser image he was supposed to be portraying. In fact he seemed more from the 2000's. Overall that sense of fun from the first 3 films is somewhat lacking, though not completely gone. There'a quite a few great scenes. I'd agree, that on the whole it's far better than the crap that's out now-especially all this reboot bull****.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Pratt could do it but he doesn't hit me as having the presence or acting talent of Harrison Ford. Urban can act but eh who wants to see him? It's like ah look Bones is playing Jones lol ...boring.

I'm sure there's plenty of American actors that can play Indy just like there are plenty of British actors for Bond.

It's Dredd and he is the law!

• I’m so glad to hear support for Crystal Skull. With the sole exception of the vine swinging Mutt, I thought it was terrific, and I think it’s far more fun than ToD. I have said since day one that any criticism you can throw at Crystal Skull (again, with the exception of the vine swinging), you can throw at any of the other films. We just saw the first three when we were much younger and not as cynical and nitpicky. For example, Indy surviving an explosion inside a refrigerator is absolutely no more ridiculous than three people jumping out of a falling plane on a life raft.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I don't even consider KOTCS to be a part of the series. Awful, awful movie with a very tiny handful of entertaining scenes or dialogue. That jungle chase was beyond cringeworthy.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Agreed. It was a HUGE disappointment to me. It's the DAD of the Indiana Jones Series and I like DAD better as much as I don't like it. :-??
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The next Indie film HAS to open with Indy retrieving that idol he stole from the temple in Raiders, only to have it stolen from him by Belloq. Any screenwriter not going there is a terrorist.
    Why do you think they should go down the fan service route? Leave the idol in the past.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    The next Indie film HAS to open with Indy retrieving that idol he stole from the temple in Raiders, only to have it stolen from him by Belloq. Any screenwriter not going there is a terrorist.

Agreed with @Matt007. Not to mention that Indy has already recovered that idol and Belloq died in ROTLA, and we don't want Disney retcon Indy like they did with Star Wars, do we?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Walecs wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Agreed with @Matt007. Not to mention that Indy has already recovered that idol and Belloq died in ROTLA, and we don't want Disney retcon Indy like they did with Star Wars, do we?

I thought it was pretty obvious Dimi was having a laugh.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    my issues with KOTCS are minimal - but mostly come from a script/fan service issue... the movie felt like one big trip down memory lane to the reference museum lol... the bit with the ark was a nice touch (seeing as how it's kind of referenced in the previous 2 films).. but the movie was so heavy handed about it's constant winks and nods backwards, that it kind of felt like the movie lacked it's own unique identity..

technically.. maybe i am the only one - but at times, the cinematography seemed weird, and almost fake - in terms of lighting - especially in the very beginning during the Area 51 stuff.. some of it looked great, but there were moments where it was just.. odd... i can't describe it.. i don't know if it's green screen work or not, but it just didn't seem genuine... if that makes sense... and thats not because CGI work, or anything like that - it just looked like it was all on a soundstage, instead of a real location (and i mean the outside stuff, where the guards get killed, and then right outside the hanger doors when we are reintroduced to Indy)..

the tarzan monkey swing thing was stupid.. no defense for that one..

on the whole, i do enjoy the movie.. i would rather sit back and watch this than a lot of other crap... but do i enjoy it as much as the first 3? - i can't say that i do... and it's not just out of nostalgia - the original 3 were just better films.. especially ROTLA and TLC.
    Ok fair dos. Only thing is I wouldn't put it past Disney. Or any studio these days
    Raiders is a truly great film. Period. Diminishing quality there after. Crystal skull I saw once. And It was the only time in the cinema I've turned to someone half way through a film and said 'this is shit'.

I still can't believe they got just about everything wrong. So badly wrong too. It's just appalling considering the talent.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I've always enjoyed it for the most part. I'm not picky when it comes to movies at all. I can lay on the couch and watch it all the way through and not cringe and whine about how it may be shit, because frankly I don't give one
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 1,314
    Life too short to watch bad films and films are too expensive to watch to not care about quality.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Meh it's not my money
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Meh it's not my money

He means the coin you spend on purchasing them.
    Ahh, but still I'm easily entertained
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    C
    H
    R
    I
    S

P
    R
    A
    T
    T

self-explanatory
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    K
    A
    R
    L

U
    R
    B
    A
    N

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    H
    A
    R
    I
    S
    O
    N

F
    O
    R
    D

D
    A
    N
    I
    E
    L

C
    R
    A
    I
    G

See, I can do that. Anyway, Ford for last one swing, or Pratt for a reboot.
    C
    H
    R
    I
    S

P
    R
    A
    T
    T

self-explanatory
    What is self-explanatory is that Pratt isn´t up to it. He´s got the looks perhaps, but not the chops.

KOTKS had a great first half but fell downhill in the last 30 minutes.
    Crystal Skull was OK until Marrion appeared... [-(
    According to David Koepp, George Lucas is not involved in Indy 5:

http://collider.com/indiana-jones-5-george-lucas-david-koepp/#steven-spielberg
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Now Koepp needs to go. Get a writer to counterpoint Spielberg, who will be too sentimental and comical.
  • Too bad we didn't hear that in 2008....
    If Koepp is involved so far, he will hardly leave or be let go.

Finally something's going right for a change!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I see the poll is gone, but

1 DOOM
    2 RAIDERS
    3 SKULL
    4 CRUSADE

And they re all bloody great.