Rest In Peace, show your respects to those who have passed away.

Comments

Words fail me, it seems everytime i switch on the news or check my phone? We have lost another person.

RIP Debbie Reynolds
    "And I thought she was getting better: the wonderful Carrie Fisher"

Got a feeling she wouldn't make it , same with Gorshin , Natasha Richardson & Michael jackson (after 2005 trial I wondered how long he'd live , the trials obviously took their toll)
    Awful. Just awful.

And just to cap off a very shitty year :

straitstimes.com/world/europe/william-salice-creator-of-kinder-surprise-dies

Every European kid has eaten those candies, and played with the surprises hidden within. American kids were not that lucky, from what I heard.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    What is this talk about 2016 being worse than other years? For those who suffered personal losses, that is true, of course. But heroes and celebrities will die in droves in 2017 too, just get prepared for it.
    Well, there were also the situation in Syria, which led to the Migrant crisis, which led to Brexit. Also terrorist attacks in France and Germany, and Donald Trump's election (YMMV on that last one, of course). Plus, no Doctor Who for a year (is Michael Grade back at the BBC ?). No, 2016 was not a good year, and things are not looking up from what I can see. Maybe it's because I'm middle-aged, but right now, I'm pessimistic.
    Gerard wrote: »
    Well, there were also the situation in Syria, which led to the Migrant crisis, which led to Brexit. Also terrorist attacks in France and Germany, and Donald Trump's election (YMMV on that last one, of course). Plus, no Doctor Who for a year (is Michael Grade back at the BBC ?). No, 2016 was not a good year, and things are not looking up from what I can see. Maybe it's because I'm middle-aged, but right now, I'm pessimistic.

Not to mention, there really wasn't ANY substantial information on a new Bond movie either. That alone makes 2016 a crap year, IMO.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 4,622
    patb wrote: »
    Not sure if posted before but check out this, a bittersweet moment at 3.10 when we see Bowie gently dancing along to the rehearsals, two icons of pop paying tribute to another icon...and now we have lost all three. Enjoy....

Michael was superb as stand-in for Freddy. Best of anyone I think.In fact quite perfect.
    Much better than Paul Rogers who I think was a little miscast.
    That Brian May is a superb guitarist. Could listen to him for hours, and have, but Michael sure rekindled the Freddie sound.
    Dare I say it, even though they were Freddie's songs, Michael might have done them just as well.
    Probably not, but he sure was close.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Selection of some fames Dutch people who passing this year:

EDDY WALLY (12 JULI 1932 - 6 FEBRUARI 2016) Belgium singer
    JOHAN CRUIJFF (25 APRIL 1947 - 24 MAART 2016) Footballer with world fame.
    WIM BRANDS (29 March 1959 - 4 APRIL 2016) kild him self from life. Journalist, Presenter and poet (Dutch: Dichter)
    COX HABBEMA (21 March 1944 - 18 APRIL 2016) Actres, theater directer and Producer of Stadsschouwburg.
    Renée de Haan (9 juli 1954 – 2 juli 2016) Famale singer
    TOOTS THIELEMANS (29 APRIL 1922 - 22 AUGUSTUS 2016) Jazz Musicant. Creater of Dutch tv series theme of ''Baantjer'' and theme of ''Turks Fruit''.
    MARNIX KAPPERS (8 SEPTEMBER 1943 - 10 OKTOBER 2016) Actor
    MIEKE TELKAMP (14 JUNE 1934 - 20 OKTOBER 2016) Singer
    JOOP BRAAKHEKKE (11 APRIL 1941 - 8 DECEMBER 2016) Chef/Tv Chef
    BARBARA STRAATHOF (25 MAART 1975 - 24 DECEMBER 2016) Singer
    and still 5 hours to go UK time :/
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    It's too many to mention, here the ones that really hurt me personally:

Garry Shandling, I own both of his shows complete on DVD
    <iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_tmLNXWAnY4"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Prince, one of his last great, great songs
    <iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QFdUIhVG7hQ"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pete Burns (Dead Or Alive)
    <iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PGNiXGX2nLU"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

George Michael, one of the best music clips ever
    <iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lu3VTngm1F0"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Carrie Fisher (and her mother Debbie Reynolds)
    <iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IlA6cj4DgLI"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Alan Rickman
    <iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iQc7oKh8KjM"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    What's unfortunate is that so many people assume the countless deaths of much-adored icons will seemingly halt right when the clock strikes midnight.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    jake24 wrote: »
    What's unfortunate is that so many people assume the countless deaths of much-adored icons will seemingly halt right when the clock strikes midnight.

This. It was definitely a pretty big year regarding all these high-profile passings, but we could just as easily (and unfortunately) kick off 2017 with a big celebrity death, too.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »

This. It was definitely a pretty big year regarding all these high-profile passings, but we could just as easily (and unfortunately) kick off 2017 with a big celebrity death, too.

Yes, it is strange. Considering that our heroes are getting into their late 70s, 80s and 90s, this kind of sad news will not cease. The next ten years will be absolutely brutal for the death of icons.

I will say though that their have been many shocks in 2016, as in the cases of Alan Rickman, Bowie, Prince, Carrie Fisher, etc. as they were so young and died so suddenly that it was extra shocking. So in that regard, the year was a real bastard when it came to out of left field tragedies.
    It is different if a beloved icon dies at 89 or let's even say 75 or if they are in their 50s or even younger, even 65 seems way too young nowadays....
    I was listening to an interview with the obituary editor of The Telegraph newspaper the other day and he said that it was a fairly standard year...up until the last month.
    The first three months were very unusual in celebrity deaths. I know some journalists were quick to claim it was a "normal" year, but it wasn't.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    In a recent BBC radio news report, they mentioned that statistics for 2016 showed it
    To have a very high number of Celebrity deaths, compared to what would have been
    Expected.
    Most significant deaths for me this year, as far as celebrity impact.
    #1 The iconic Man From Uncle, Robert Vaughn
    2 Bowie
    3 The ELP boys

Maybe some others, but those jump out.
    I'm not including world of sports
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Probably my favourite George Michael track is 'Freeek' (2002):

and this:

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ABhZQ_VRbsQ"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    I had to click on the link to know who that was.

RIP, Father Mulcahy.
    The one seemingly good bit of celebrity news in 2016 was Kirk Douglas turning 100.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    The one seemingly good bit of celebrity news in 2016 was Kirk Douglas turning 100.

Sweet old Betty White turning 94 (95 in a couple short weeks) was great, too.

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Yes that is good news
    RIP 2016.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    RIP 2016.

Rest in pieces?
    Remain In Past
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    RIP 2016 - Rot in Perfidy