Rest In Peace, show your respects to those who have passed away.

Comments

• edited December 2016 Posts: 11,189
    Carrie sounded like she was a genuinely likeable person and a funny lady.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Anybody who has the foresight and good sense not to take themselves seriously is a special person. You see a lot of bullshit in Hollywood, and Carrie was always the first one there with a scooper to shovel any and all excrement to the garbage where it belongs. Very few people seeking good fortune in an industry like Hollywood that is by its very nature shallow and image-focused would do what Carrie did, being so open about her problems, demons and complications. As I said elsewhere today, she faced and made public her own darkness so that others could see the light. She knew the risks to her career by presenting her flaws to the public in such a way, and how much of a taboo discussing mental illness is in our society, but she didn't care. I hear many people today, from her family to her friends and co-workers, calling her "one-of-a-kind," and she most certainly was. Forever imitated, never replicated.
    George Michael's death is just so dreadful; at so many levels. It should go without saying that he was an amazing talent both for song writing and performance, but he clearly had his own demons and you wonder whether the demons contributed to come of the great songwriting?
    My wife works for a childrens charity and he donated serious amounts but wanted no publicity or credit for this (unlike many celebs who insist on PR coverage)
    Finally and perhaps selfishly, he represents a brick in the foundation of my childhood so his loss represents my loss (if that makes sense), if we can take something from this, we need to celebrate the musical talent that we still have because, the way things are going, our heros will all be gone all too soon.
    Still can't beleive he's gone.
    patb wrote: »
    George Michael's death is just so dreadful; at so many levels. It should go without saying that he was an amazing talent both for song writing and performance, but he clearly had his own demons and you wonder whether the demons contributed to come of the great songwriting?
    My wife works for a childrens charity and he donated serious amounts but wanted no publicity or credit for this (unlike many celebs who insist on PR coverage)
    Finally and perhaps selfishly, he represents a brick in the foundation of my childhood so his loss represents my loss (if that makes sense), if we can take something from this, we need to celebrate the musical talent that we still have because, the way things are going, our heros will all be gone all too soon.
    Still can't beleive he's gone.

Well said,and i totally agree,especially as he was about to write a new album.
    RIP and thank you George.

More than a Princess.....
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    RIP Carrie Fisher. Although I'm a huge TFA fan, I never really got into the original Star Wars trilogy all that much when younger. Nevertheless, her contributions to pop culture are unquestionable and her character is iconic.

From what I've read, she had to overcome some personal problems, and also had the courage to be open about it for the benefit of humanity. I respect that and hope more could do the same.

Thanks for the memories and I hope you're at peace.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 4,602
    Not sure if posted before but check out this, a bittersweet moment at 3.10 when we see Bowie gently dancing along to the rehearsals, two icons of pop paying tribute to another icon...and now we have lost all three. Enjoy....

Here's Carrie's show, "Wishful Drinking". It's funny and moving. I loved it, and so will you :

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Wow, this is unbelievably upsetting - Debbie Reynolds passes away at 84:

http://www.tmz.com/2016/12/28/debbie-reynolds-dead/
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I hate this f***ing year. RIP, Debbie Reynolds.
    So sad. At least she's reunited with her daughter. R.I.P, both of you.

This december really sucks. For the popular culture scene and for me on a more personal level. Lost a friend this december.

So, fu december and Christmas

That's why I'm boycotting this holiday season.
  • Sorry to hear Debbie Reynolds passed, the shock of her daughter passing must have been too much, truly tragic and saddening.
    RIP Debbie Reynolds. I knew this awful year wouldn't be finished until the very end.
    Okay, that was a bit too much. Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds within 48 hours. This is too much. RIP Ms. Reynolds.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 6,432
    1ebff25909b8878c31424a09e6757466.jpg
    R.I.P.

Celebrity deaths don't usually effect me, we for the most part don't know these people though this is an awful thing to happen.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Sad news. Apparently she fell ill while at her son's house planning her daughter's funeral. I only know her from Will and Grace, where she played Grace's mum and left a great impression. Her reputation precedes her of course.

RIP.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Sad news. Apparently she fell ill while at her son's house planning her daughter's funeral. I only know her from Will and Grace, where she played Grace's mum and left a great impression. Her reputation precedes her of course.

RIP.
    You've never seen Singing In The Rain - probably the greatest musical ever made? Shocking, truly shocking.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    You really couldn't write this shit, could you?

Some of my fondest childhood memories are of the weekends leading up to Halloween, where I'd sit at home, kick back and watch the Halloweentown films on Disney Channel, which had Reynolds as the main protagonist's grandmother, a sweet, wise and skilled witch that always had the answer. Reynolds therefore always conjured very pleasant thoughts in my mind, and though I haven't gotten into her other film work to this day, her appearance in those children's films and the time I got to spend with her character annually made her a big part of my growing life.

We let actors and actresses into our homes, and therefore, whether you enjoy a random Disney film or love Star Wars, characters like a kind old witch or strong rebel princess stimulate our imaginations and give us heroes to follow with all our emotion. For that, people like Mrs. Reynolds and Ms. Fisher will always be important, because the world will always be full of darkness that their light goes a long way towards blinding with their shimmer.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Oh my word, this just keeps getting worse. RIP Debbie Reynolds.

Daughter and then mother within 48 hours is just too much.

2016, what a bitch (apologies for the use of that word).
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    RIP Debbie Reynolds
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    While I find it too cruel that Debbie had to go planning her daughters funeral I can understand why her heart gave up.
    I'm still struggling losing my sister and brother years ago and imagine how that must be for my mother.

Rest in peace Carrie and Debbie, at least now you are together for ever.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Yes, it s a good thing.
    She's singing again with her Princess.

Sentimental but appropriate.

I do feel for the family left behind though. Must be absolutely horrendous for them.
    One day, I'll stop going on the net in the morning. These past few days have been one bad news after another.

BTW, I felt old today : I told the news of Debbie Reynolds's passing to a coworker. Her reaction ? "Who was he ?" I mentioned "Singing in the Rain", she asked me : "Was she the author of the song ?". I had to explain to her. I still can't believe it, given that she is usually smart. Maybe she hadn't heard of her, or didn't pay attention to who's playing in the movies she watches.
    I'm not a big fan of musicals but Singing in the Rain is of such quality, its impossible not to find a spring in your step...

• edited December 2016 Posts: 11,189
    Singing in the Rain is the only musical I own on DVD. Great film.
    :(
    And it goes on. Three deaths in France this week. First, Pierre Barouh, lyricist, died yesterday, aged 82. Among his many songs, this one :

Which brings back a lot of memories for french movie lovers.

Then, we have Michel Déon, writer, who died at 97, also yesterday. I confess never having read one of his novels.

And finally (I hope), we have Jean-Christophe Victor, journalist and host of "Le Dessous des Cartes", a TV show that talked of geopolitics according to the maps of the world. I didn't follow it, but every time it was on Arte, and I caught it, I watched it, it was always interesting. He was 69.