Rest In Peace, show your respects to those who have passed away.

Comments

barryt007 wrote: »
    My tribute today is to America,and the people of New York....i dont need to tell you all why...i always watch 9/11 documentaries today and only today..to show the beautiful people who died on this day that they will never be forgotten...my cousins from across the sea....i salute you,and feel your anger and pain...God bless America on this day.

I did not know that you were personally effected that day Barry. It must be tough when the anniversary comes each year.

I was at Ground Zero in May during my first ever visit to New York. Certainly a humbling experience.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    My tribute today is to America,and the people of New York....i dont need to tell you all why...i always watch 9/11 documentaries today and only today..to show the beautiful people who died on this day that they will never be forgotten...my cousins from across the sea....i salute you,and feel your anger and pain...God bless America on this day.

I did not know that you were personally effected that day Barry. It must be tough when the anniversary comes each year.

I was at Ground Zero in May during my first ever visit to New York. Certainly a humbling experience.

I'd say it's impossible not to be affected, no matter where you hail from.

A tragic day, not only for the lives lost, but because of the dominoes of tragedy that have fallen in subsequent order after it. Wars, more death, religious prejudice, hate speak. Of course, these things rear their heads without the occurrence of events like 9/11, but the day's horrors spawned off its own variety of these things that continue to show the worst aspects of humanity.

On days like this, however, people can forget past pains and come together sharing one heart, so today we also see the best aspects of humanity raging on through the darkness.

A tragic day, not only for the lives lost, but because of the dominoes of tragedy that have fallen in subsequent order after it. Wars, more death, religious prejudice, hate speak. Of course, these things rear their heads without the occurrence of events like 9/11, but the day's horrors spawned off its own variety of these things that continue to show the worst aspects of humanity.

On days like this, however, people can forget past pains and come together sharing one heart, so today we also see the best aspects of humanity raging on through the darkness.

Of course, the legacy of that day is most certainly still felt now. It's also strange when you realise that todays teenagers would have little to no memory of it.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Rest in Peace to all the victims of 9/11.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2016 Posts: 28,694

Of course, the legacy of that day is most certainly still felt now. It's also strange when you realise that todays teenagers would have little to no memory of it.

Yes. And I was only 7 when it happened. It's crazy that it was so long ago, yet feels like it happened yesterday even for the people who weren't cognizant of the horrors of it as it happened.

One thing I'll always remember hearing after it happened, was a classmate of mine talking about his mother's reaction to it. His mother told him she saw the horny head of the devil in the smoky aftermath of the towers' destruction, and back then I was obviously very shaken and fascinated by that.

Now the statement feels to me as asinine as those who remark with God's grace whenever a cloud looks like Mary or Angel Gabriel, but even today as it was back then, the mention of Lucifer was a fitting symbol of a very dark day where only echoes of screams filled the ears and ash rained from the sky.
    I was 15 and remember hearing about it when I got home from school.

I remember it all feeling very strange and surreal on the day itself. It's a cliche now but the images did seem to be like something from a film.
    I was 15 and remember hearing about it when I got home from school.

I remember it all feeling very strange and surreal on the day itself. It's a cliche now but the images did seem to be like something from a film.

The craziest footage I'll ever see of it was this:

A guy was down low on the ground getting a skyward shot of New York, while he was speaking to his buddy, who was standing tall leaning against his car. The perspective of the camera frame was directed right up at the towers, making the people feel like miniatures in comparison to how mighty the buildings looked in the footage. The cameraman and his friend were speaking pleasantly enough, then out of nowhere you see the first plane smash into the first tower, afterward chaos and shock take hold.

I'll never forget that. I can't fathom what it was like to be there that day, unaware of what was coming.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 19,339
    I was 31 and at work on Tuesday 11 September 2001,in the middle of London...i remember some rumours going on that a plane,a jumbo,was on its way towards London and we had scrambled jets..a load of crap obviously but it shows the effect...unfortunately i got that experience first hand when i was in the middle of 7/7 ,so i know the fear it brings and the panic that ensues...but that is for another day..
  • I was 18 and fresh out of high school. I had gotten on the ol' computer real quick before going to work. My sister sent a message (back when AOL Instant Messaging was a thing) that said 'are you watching tv? Terrorists just attacked the WTC!'

This was still way early in the morning and I didn't know just how serious it was- because I never did turn the tv on. I drove in to work , without the radio on, still oblivious! Only when I got there and saw everything was closed did I see how big this really was, and of course once I got back home I was glued to the tv the rest of the day.
    I just want to follow suit and show my respects to those who lost their lives on 9/11 15 years ago, as well as all the family and friends affected. I lived in New York at the time (not the city, the state), and I was very young. I always get a little emotional on this day.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 11,189
    Today is the second anniversary of my granddad's passing.
    Thoughts are with the 9/11 families everyday.
    And it goes on : Alexis Arquette, transgender actress and sister of David Arquette died this sunday, aged 47.

variety.com/2016/film/news/alexis-arquette-dead-patricia-david-the-wedding-singer-1201857594/
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    RIP Alexis Arquette

@BAIN123, my condolences, friend. Losing a grandparent hurts. A lot. Even after two years... I still wake up sometimes to the cold realisation that the reunion with my grandmother I dreamed about... was just a dream. PM me if you like to talk.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 5,822
    Playwright Edward Albee, author of "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf", died this friday, aged 88 :

nytimes.com/2016/09/17/arts/edward-albee-playwright-of-a-desperate-generation-dies-at-88.html?_r=0
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Curtis Hanson, the director of 'LA Confidential', has passed away aged 71.
    RC7 wrote: »
    I haven t seen BATMAN THE MOVIE, but that clip above is the funniest thing I have seen all day.

It's a brilliant movie. Totally ludicrous.
    "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb"

I've got the blu-ray on order to replace my dvd copy.
    Looking forward to a rewatch in gloriois Bat HD.

The shark battle should be epic!

I know this thread 9 times out of 10 is about showbiz people, but this dedication is a very difficult and personal one.

On Saturday one of my two heroes my father passed away. It has been an impossible time as my other hero my mum suffers from dementia. We are already in triple figures in having to break her heart in telling her about her soulmate.

I have left this thread until last tonight on purpose as i know it will generate a response from people. I assure you i will read them, as this forum as well as being a great place for disagreement, debate and laughter. I have seen and read that it is also a great place of support. Which is amazing as I know I have kindred spirits on here from all over the world.

All I will add to the above is this. Whatever your age, treasure your parents as when you lose one you realise how much they did for you and the unconditional love that comes with it. I know this does not apply to some as life is not perfect so treasure the people you do.

God bless you all.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    My condolences, @RogueAgent.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    My heart goes out to you try and stay strong for your mother and family and look for happy memories of your father to sustain you through your loss My condolences @RogueAgent.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Very sorry to hear that, @RogueAgent. My condolences.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @RogueAgent, I'm so very sorry to hear that. If you ever need to talk, I'm here.
  • @RogueAgent Sorry to hear of your sad news, keep positive.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    @RogueAgent You must have had so many great memories with him. Remember the many good times and the parts of you that were shaped by your hero. The mi6 community is here to help support, distract, or simply listen if you need us.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I'm so sorry @RogueAgent
    My condolences.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 12,276
    @RogueAgent You have my condolences. I'm very sorry for your loss. You have my full support, and I'll pray you get through this.
    My sincerest of condolences in this time, @RogueAgent. The loss we feel at times like this can be overwhelming and it's easy to slip into the doldrums, but it's important that you stay strong, hold on to the grandest memories you have of your father, and live your life in a way that would make him proud, as I know you will. We're all just a private message away if you need us, my friend. :)>-
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    @RogueAgent you have always been the kind voice here ...the one who sees the positive. I thank you for that.

I lost my dad two years ago and now my mom is declining cognitively. I truly appreciate what you are going through right now and truly appreciate you sharing with us.

You have my sincere condolences as well. Prayers for yours and you.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    My sincere condolences on your loss @RogueAgent. I cannot say anything that hasn't already been said by our fellow forum members. As hard as it may seem, try and remain strong. By all means grieve, but when we hit rock bottom, remember the only way back is up. As others have said, we're just a PM away should you need us.
    Thoughts are with you our friend.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    I am so sorry for your loss @RogueAgent, my sincere condolences to you and your family, thoughts with you all.