Producer says Daniel Craig's tenure may end when it peaks

Comments

actonsteve wrote:
    I will freely admit I can be a little naughty regarding Brosnan but alot of it is tongue-in-cheek. As a person I think he is a superstar.

His Bond is fine. But it doesnt take me by the lapels and shake me like Connery, Dalts and Craig.

I'm happy to read this. So you think he is allright in the role after all? I hope more Brosnan-haters will try to look objectively at him and his movies. Perhaps some of them will end up with the same conclusion.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited August 2012 Posts: 12,459
    Some of you are showing that you can discuss your views of Brosnan, negative and all, without resorting to bashing; that in itself is refreshing. I am sick of the bashing and Brosnan does get far too much of that.
    Some of you a showing that you can discuss your views of Brosnan, negative and all, without resorting to bashing; that in itself is refreshing. I am sick of the bashing and Brosnan does get far too much of that.

I get sick of it too. I liked him (and still do) despite acknowledging he had his fair share of flaws. It seems that some people here make a habbit of Brosnan bashing.
    As the painful memories of Brozza recede into the distant past and (perhaps) more questions arise around DC, people are more inclined to forget about Brosnan
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Getafix wrote:
    As the painful memories of Brozza recede into the distant past and (perhaps) more questions arise around DC, people are more inclined to forget about Brosnan

Oh shush Getafix. No need for your constant bashing. It seems you're the one who likes to bring him up the most (I noticed you updated your "Who's Idea..."thread when it hadn't had any posts in a while). Craig is better yes but lets let Brosnans Bond rest in peace without constantly kicking dirt over him shall we? You've made your point - you don't like him. But some of us have good memories and STILL have fun watching him.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Oh shush Getafix. No need for your constant bashing. It seems you're the one who likes to bring him up the most. Craig is better yes but lets let Brosnans Bond rest in peace without constantly kicking dirt over him shall we? You've made your point - you don't like him. But some of us have good memories and STILL have fun watching him.

Exactly. Off to teach kindergarten now, where the bashing level truly belongs (is at least age appropriate). ;)
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Oh shush Getafix. No need for your constant bashing. It seems you're the one who likes to bring him up the most. Craig is better yes but lets let Brosnans Bond rest in peace without constantly kicking dirt over him shall we? You've made your point - you don't like him. But some of us have good memories and STILL have fun watching him.

Exactly. Off to teach kindergarten now, where the bashing level truly belongs (is at least age appropriate). ;)

I don't really want to resort to mockery.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Dalton has some great moments but he's just too "stagey". That's the main issue I have with him, he doesn't have the "swagger" that the other have and (at times) looks like he thinks he's at the theatre (the scene when he's reprimanded by M for not shooting Kara is a good example). I say this after re-watching TLD the other day.
    Then again, in those days Bond films were much more staged in general. Or the better word would be "stylised", a virtue that will hopefully return in the future, as much as I enjoy the last two films.

• edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Dalton (obviously) and Brosnan are better than Craig imo (that doesn't mean I think Craig is bad).
    doubleoego wrote:
    With Brosnan, most of his Bobd films bar GE were dissapointing and he himself was mediocre at best, not really doing anything wholly remarkable with the role.

Your opinion, doesn't make it true.
    Getafix wrote:

Cmon @Getafix, we all know you love the guy secretly ;) Don't you ever get bored of bashing him? Why can't you be more like actonsteve?
    actonsteve wrote:
    I will freely admit I can be a little naughty regarding Brosnan but alot of it is tongue-in-cheek. As a person I think he is a superstar.

His Bond is fine. But it doesnt take me by the lapels and shake me like Connery, Dalts and Craig.

See Getafix, he gave his opinion on Brosnan without exaggerating and bashing the guy. You should try that some time.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Unless I declare something as fact then it's obvious it's an opinion, especially when it comes to critiquing the Bond actors. Going out of your way to state the obvious is silly and pedantic.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Yes, adding "in my opinion" after every single statement would be ridiculous. It is quite easy to tell the difference between an undisputed fact and someone's personal views.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Forgive me but it's the nasty nature of the hatred that urks me the wrong way. I express views all the time (without saying IMO) but I'd like to think I'm fairly reasonable and moderate without going too overboard.
  • doubleoego wrote:
    Unless I declare something as fact then it's obvious it's an opinion, especially when it comes to critiquing the Bond actors. Going out of your way to state the obvious is silly and pedantic.

Yo could've just said "I think he was mediocre" instead of he was medicore", etc. When you say he was, makes it sound like you're stating it as a fact.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Forgive me but it's the nasty nature of the hatred that urks me the wrong way. I express views all the time (without saying IMO) but I'd like to think I'm fairly reasonable and moderate without going too overboard.

^^^this
    I probably can get a little carried away in real life when it comes to Bond to be fair. Almost all my family/friends say I'm obsessed with it :(
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 1,082
    Yes, adding "in my opinion" after every single statement would be ridiculous.

I do this almost all the time, or sometimes replace it with something like "I think". :D
    But that's because when I didn't, it seemed that the mad cow disease started to spread here among some members. :)) :)) :))
  • Yes, adding "in my opinion" after every single statement would be ridiculous.

I do this almost all the time, or sometimes replace it with something like "I think". :D
    But that's because when I didn't, it seemed that the mad cow disease started to spread here among some members.

Yeah I remember a few months back when you and Germanlady got into a big argument about opinions.

Anyway, we'd better get back on topic: Craig won't do 8 films, and SF won't be his last one. Both of MGW's quotes were pretty much BS.
    Yes, adding "in my opinion" after every single statement would be ridiculous.

But that's because when I didn't, it seemed that the mad cow disease started to spread here among some members.

Yeah I remember a few months back when you and Germanlady got into a big argument about opinions.

Anyway, we'd better get back on topic: Craig won't do 8 films, and SF won't be his last one. Both of MGW's quotes were pretty much BS.

I don't know about Germanlady but some others yes. Oh, sorry for keeping it off-topic.

Since it seems Wilson spoke about Brosnan, we really didn't get any information about when Craig will leave the role, other than Wilson's opinions about changing direction before the peak is already reached and the series is going downwards. I think Craig will do 4 or 5 movies myself.

• I think Craig will do 4 or 5 movies myself.

Same. I think him doing 8 is just people's wishful thinking, but I doubt he'll stop after SF. I can see him doing Bond 24, maybe Bond 25 if they get the films out quick enough.
    I think him doing 8 would hardly be possible even if they managed to make a movie every 2 years, since he is 43/44 already and IMO aging quite rapidly. I'd be surprised if Craig himself is willing to be Bond when and after he is 50. And it seems hard to maintain the two-year gap between the movies, especially with MGW still producing. I think a three-year gap is more likely. If I'm right about this, Craig will be 49 or 50 by his fifth, and last, Bond movie.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I can definitely see Craig going up to 'Bond 25' if they keep on the one-film-every-other-year schedule they planned a year ago.
  • Creasy47 wrote:
    I can definitely see Craig going up to 'Bond 25' if they keep on the one-film-every-other-year schedule they planned a year ago.

That is going to determine everything. MGM said in bankruptcy it wanted to resume an every-other-year schedule. Sony earlier this year announced Bond 24 would be out in 2014. Barbara Broccoli then said in an interview that, "Nothing's been announced." Well it had, but by Sony, not by Eon. It remains to be seen what kind of schedule the series will keep to. If thing slip to every third year or even another four-year gap (I'm not predicting this, just bringing up a hypothetical situation), who knows?

• edited August 2012 Posts: 5,767
    To get back to the topic of the thread:
    MI6 wrote:
    Bond producer Michael G Wilson presents a talk about the history of 007 and the British film industry and how the series stays ahead...

Creating A Global Franchise
    19th August 2012
    Michael G Wilson OBE, James Bond producer at EON Productions, spoke at about the legacy of the 007 franchise at the British Business Embassy on 31 July 2012 as part of the "This is Great Britain" conference held during the Olympics to boost UK business. His presentation, titled "Creating an International Film Franchise", walked through the history of the series, the "dream team" that created "Dr. No", the bumps along the road during the last 50 years, and the tough decisions they make to keep the films fresh and appealing to old and new audiences alike. One of his quotes about Pierce Brosnan leaving the franchise was taken a little out of context by the press and hit the headlines last week. Presented here is the complete speech (his presentation slides are off-camera):

I would have thought DC would do Bond 24 and that will be his last, Bond 25 is a big number so EON will want a new star so they can maximise promotional opportunities!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I would have thought DC would do Bond 24 and that will be his last, Bond 25 is a big number so EON will want a new star so they can maximise promotional opportunities!

I think from listening to MW, and by the fact they ignored 2007 altogether it's safe to say they prioritise other factions far more than anniversaries or promotional opportunities. After all DC is still Bond in the golden anniversary year. The most important thing for MW was to put the best film possible out there which will help the longevity of the series.
    I think dc peaked in cr. How is he going to beat that?
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    By peaking again in SF, only higher, perhaps? I have a good feeling about it, there is a bit of fun in the trailers.
    zebrafish wrote:
    By peaking again in SF, only higher, perhaps? I have a good feeling about it, there is a bit of fun in the trailers.

Yes that's possible, but cr was such a good film it will be very hard to match it.

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited August 2012 Posts: 13,972
    One rises to meet a challenge ;)

Of course it's anyone's guess at the moment, but if SF is Craig's halfway point (finishing up after B25)- then I'll be quite satisfied. IMO he's too captivating as Bond to be let go just yet.
    I don't think Craig peaked with CR or QOS. He might do it in SF (in the trailer it looks like it and the comments from people involved make me optimistic about this) or one of the following movies he might make.
    I haven't watched the full trailer yet just the teaser, trying hard to aviod spoilers, like the likely lads avoiding a football result.I do hope this film is good though.