DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    As a kid, I wanted to be Atom.
    The Flash for sure
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Willem Dafoe joins Justice League Cast
    THR reports that Dafoe is "playing a good guy in a role that will see him appear in both parts of the JL movies," but has no further details.

http://comicbook.com/2016/04/19/spider-mans-willem-dafoe-joins-justice-league-cast/?utm_source=Comicbook.com&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=160419_121407_Comicbook.com Daily Newsletter&utm_content=Link
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Dafoe as Green Arrow.

I will be downloading this.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Not looking good for DCCU, I think Snyder will not have as much control on Justice League. Warner may play it safe and pull the plug for now on a few of the solo movies. I like Man of Steel and BvS, though its clear to me that Warner have not got a clue what they are doing right now. Hopefully Suicide Squad will be a hit and inject some much needed positivity into the DCCU.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    With all these solo films experiencing at least one major director departure over creative differences, including Wonder Woman and recently The Flash, you have to wonder what WB are doing/saying to make these people so uncomfortable with their helmed films and their creative visions for them. I'm sure there's now great attempts by the studio heads to make the movies more humorous now, which could anger directors who signed up to really do these films as super serious fare without the wise-cracks.

One thing I know for certain in this: I'd love to be a fly on the wall in London right now, as Snyder is desperately trying to swim upstream against current in a river made of the tears of all the fanboys he and Warner have isolated and terrified.

Now, it must be said that none of what the DCEU is experiencing currently is different from what Marvel have dealt with in the past, like Thor: The Dark World and Ant-Man's director departures, but Marvel DC is not. I think this is where the majority of the worry comes from, as they've already shown that they are essentially playing each game by the inning and don't really have a plan for the future beyond slapdash progressions in the solo movies.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. I wonder how many times Snyder and execs from Warner have called up Christopher Nolan in desperation recently in the middle of the night, flooding the other line with their tears and the sounds of their groaning.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I'm pretty sure Nolan regrets deeply being associated with BvS right now.
  • RC7RC7
    I don't think Nolan regrets anything.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    No big loss with Seth Grahame-Smith leaving The Flash, but the rumor about James Wan backing out of Aquaman has me a bit concerned about what may be going on behind the scenes.

From the little bit that I have read, Wan seemed pretty jazzed to be a part of this film and I'm definitely curious to see what he could do with it. Regardless, whoever helms it, I wish them luck. It will likely be a very difficult film to pull off.
    A few points I want to make

Nolan approved of batman v superman and actually felt the ending was to uplifting and wanted superman to stay dead. (If I find the article I will post it here)

Justice League is still filming/going on so that is a good thing

While Flash and Aquaman are "in trouble" Wonder Woman and Sucide Squad is still going on and if successful could get WB moving forward and back on track (otherwise this will be a very short DCU indeed)

Marvel really caught lighting in a bottle. I believe they maybe have a vague idea but in all honesty with Inhumans taken off the phase 4 and hulk mysteriously no longer having a franchise (when Kevin said there would be back in 2008) means that while I will admit there is a plan in place it's very loose and adaptable plan. Just like EON could claim Spectre was always the film they wanted to make for Bond 24 but as the leaks show it was more like the only film they could give us after years of negoations lmao

so yeah should we be nervous no not really and I think WB is also pushing the panic button to much as well for me the solution is simple

Have Affleck ghost direct bits of Justice league and make sure the film and script are top notch.
    Play up sucide squad and market the hell out of the film
    For comic con (and believe me they can win it) show an amazing trailer of Wonder Woman, a great teaser for Justice League, and announce some of the cast of Affleck's solo batman film including some of the cast and the title (and if my idea of Hush being a main influence on the story then by all means cast MATT Damon as Hush and bring him on board)
    And there you go Warner can breath a sigh of relief for the time being and focus on phase2
    My first thought after learning of a possible Batfleck movie was: get Matt Damon! Cast him as an actor and co-screenwriter!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Damon is a god as far as I'm concerned. The boy's on the way back to the top after the Martian & soon Jason Bourne. Batfleck and he would work well together, being buddies and all.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Damon is a god as far as I'm concerned. The boy's on the way back to the top after the Martian & soon Jason Bourne. Batfleck and he would work well together, being buddies and all.

And both won Academy Awards for best script !!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames Damon is not the only guy on the way back recently - you can add Ben Affleck thanks to the recent 'Argo' and 'Gone Girl'. Tom Hanks is on a roll too, with 'Captain Phillips' and 'Bridge of Spies', and you also have Tom Cruise, with 'Edge of Tomorrow' and 'Mission Impossible Rogue Nation' (and now Cruise is racking up the interesting projects in the next few years).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I agree @DaltonCraig007. It's interesting, because these are established 90's stars (or even earlier in the case of Cruise and Hanks) and they are still very bankable, increasingly so these days. I'm happy about that, because it looks like they are all returning to form and Hollywood sees value in these guys.

Can't want for 'Inferno' later this year, when Hanks will surely deliver again with Ron Howard.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Risico007, I'm sure Nolan approved of Batman v Superman like we all did: we liked the idea of it; the execution of that idea, however, was far less than expected.

And of course DC/Warner are still going with Justice League. They're too far along with development to make any impactful changes, especially on the level they need to, like getting Snyder's arse out of there. Any moves like that would hurt their already tarnished reputation and standing, and plummet their stock even deeper into the abyss. They can't turn back now or reevaluate, unfortunately, and from what we've been hearing, that film will be more of the same, flaw wise.

WW and Suicide Squad are in the same position, both basically done, with the former having more post-production time, but still: it's too late to do anything about them or fix things that would actually make a difference with audiences. The only good thing WW and SS have going for them is no Snyder, Goyer or Terrio. They're what got us in this mess in the first place.

I think WB and DC are very much in trouble. You can't really rule a con when most of the people there are distrusting of your brand and handling of their favorite characters. I know if I was in Hall H and they tried pushing some DC movie trailers on me I wouldn't be very moved unless it had Batman in it, and even still, I wouldn't be that enthused because I don't even like this Batman.

Marvel on the other hand can be in panic mode and make it look like all things are going according to plan. They face disappointments or underwhelming releases with style and move on to the next, never changing their arcs or visions according to public appeal. Of course, none of their movies have experienced the walloping that BvS has either, so there's also that. One of the biggest shifts they've realized is that maybe Banner is only good as an ancillary character instead of the lead at the center of his own movies. For Warner and DC, they are realizing that none of their characters with the exception of Batman are guaranteed successes with audiences, and without him they couldn't even compete on the level of Fox's film efforts. That's not a great place to be.
    Ben Affleck's is going to executive produce justice league and likely ghost write and direct the film looks like justice league may not be the lost cause some at marvel would have us believe
    edited May 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Ben Affleck's is going to executive produce justice league and likely ghost write and direct the film looks like justice league may not be the lost cause some at marvel would have us believe

It's not Marvel that wants us to believe that.
    It's about everybody that was highly disappointed in BvS.

Ben Affleck given a lot of power over the JL movie and possibly further projects is the best news any DC fan could hope for.

I feel like celebrating New Years Eve and Christmas right now. This is such a relief.
    Snyder really blew it all the way and Batfleck will save the JL.

Especially since Affleck is a proven screenwriter, director and producer and actor.
    What else could we hope for.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/ben-affleck-becomes-executive-producer-justice-league-204139245.html
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Affleck is starring in/executive producing JL, he's not writing or directing it, which would be the area of concern for those who don't care for Snyder. Personally, I'm still shocked that MoS did so-so at the box office and received fairly okay/good reviews, and then they went ahead and hired him for two JL movies, plus BvS. Seems like they jumped the gun on that decision.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Affleck is starring in/executive producing JL, he's not writing or directing it, which would be the area of concern for those who don't care for Snyder. Personally, I'm still shocked that MoS did so-so at the box office and received fairly okay/good reviews, and then they went ahead and hired him for two JL movies, plus BvS. Seems like they jumped the gun on that decision.

But it says that Affleck will work with Terrio on the script.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    What they should do is ditch Snyder entirely and give full control to Affleck.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    What they should do is ditch Snyder entirely and give full control to Affleck.

Absolutely. I have no idea why they haven't already, to be honest. There's such a wide gap between them in terms of talent that it's really unbelievable that they've stuck with Snyder as far as they have.

I think it has to do with all the contracts. Had the production of JL only began in late Summer or Autumn Snyder would probably have been released from his duties I could imagine.
  • RC7RC7
    At least all the brats having a hissy fit can chill out now.
    Agreed and again I need to stress this

Christopher Nolan the man all DC fans seemingly worship (I thought begins was great the dark knight was just ok and rises well yeah) was the one who picked Snyder.

Personally Snyder has his strengths in being able to rip comic book pages out of stories and throwing them on the screen and it works somewhat but you needs a film around it so keep Affleck on story and Snyder on visualization and you could beat marvel at its own game....

Anyways I am still excited on this and Wonder Woman
  • RC7RC7
    Agreed and again I need to stress this

Christopher Nolan the man all DC fans seemingly worship (I thought begins was great the dark knight was just ok and rises well yeah) was the one who picked Snyder.

Personally Snyder has his strengths in being able to rip comic book pages out of stories and throwing them on the screen and it works somewhat but you needs a film around it so keep Affleck on story and Snyder on visualization and you could beat marvel at its own game....

Anyways I am still excited on this and Wonder Woman

I don't really think they need to beat Marvel at their own game, they should just do their own thing. I've said many times Snyder is a very visual director and lacks the sort of storytelling ability you need at this level, but I thought MOS was interesting and BvS had its moments. At this stage they're two films into their run. Marvel at two films in had Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk. Suicide Squad looks like a riot and WW can't be any worse than the pedestrian First Avenger. They seem to be learning/adapting as they go and so be it. Swings and roundabouts. I remember when Spidey was the zenith (deservedly so) and then Nolan stepped in and absolutely smashed it out of the park. It's all cyclical. I just enjoy it where I can.

Yes, because it's been people at Marvel who have, all this time, cast shade at DC with obnoxious and uncalled for comments about their films and characters. Oh, wait, that was the other way around, wasn't it? Interesting, that. Very interesting.

If I ever got to interview Snyder, I'd toss out all the questions they were making me ask and simply say, "Hey, Zack, who's the flavor of the week now?"
    RC7 wrote: »

Well, since you're asking so nicely... 8-| But you don't have to worry about us "brats" any longer, @RC7. At this point the majority here are cautious of anything DC is doing film wise in the future, and so our reactions will range from "well, I expected this," to "my expectations were so nonexistent, this wasn't a horrifically bad movie."

I'm probably still going to be upset, though, because such a rampant stupidity and lack of storytelling talent and focus as Snyder and his team have showcased here is hard to just tuck away in the back of my mind. Forgive me, but the "hissy" fits are far from over. I do hope you can bear it. Of course, you do know you're not at gunpoint to be here on these threads, right?

Some people's experiences of BvS are no different than the vast group of people who've had a cow over SF and SP in recent years. When you're a fan of something, you live and die for it. When you get disappointed, then, it's a far greater disappointment you feel in relation to that love and obsession.
  • RC7RC7

Yes, because it's been people at Marvel who have, all this time, cast shade at DC with obnoxious and uncalled for comments about their films and characters. Oh, wait, that was the other way around, wasn't it? Interesting, that. Very interesting.

If I ever got to interview Snyder, I'd toss out all the questions they were making me ask and simply say, "Hey, Zack, who's the flavor of the week now?"
    RC7 wrote: »

Well, since you're asking so nicely... 8-| But you don't have to worry about us "brats" any longer, @RC7. At this point the majority here are cautious of anything DC is doing film wise in the future, and so our reactions will range from "well, I expected this," to "my expectations were so nonexistent, this wasn't a horrifically bad movie."

I'm probably still going to be upset, though, because such a rampant stupidity and lack of storytelling talent and focus as Snyder and his team have showcased here is hard to just tuck away in the back of my mind. Forgive me, but the "hissy" fits are far from over. I do hope you can bear it. Of course, you do know you're not at gunpoint to be here on these threads, right?

Some people's experiences of BvS are no different than the vast group of people who've had a cow over SF and SP in recent years. When you're a fan of something, you live and die for it. When you get disappointed, then, it's a far greater disappointment you feel in relation to that love and obsession.

For the record, I wasn't actually referring to yourself or several others on here who have put forward very valid reasons their misgivings regard the current DCU. I was referring to the uninformed who are bitching left, right and centre without any rationale across the web.