DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Beetlejuice 2 is scheduled to be released in just under a year and starts shooting fairly soon, I believe.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    That was Jon Peters.

Bradley Cooper had just played him in LICORICE PIZZA and was a highlight in that flick. He plays him exactly like all the stories you’ve heard of him.

“You and me? We’re from the streets.”

Wish I could find more clips, but Cooper nailed how coked out CRAZY he was.

I stand corrected, I meant Jon Peters not sure why I said the other.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 2023 Posts: 23,378
    Just seen something from The Flash that was jaw dropping, god this film is going to be amazing. The score is day one purchase... Holy Rusted Metal.
  • edited May 2023 Posts: 301
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I don't care about this movie, but good reviews are welcome, especially if they lead to a third Keaton/Burton movie. They might be working on Beetlejuice 2 so why not Batman next.

A live-action "Batman Beyond" would make a nice choice for a new Keaton Batman film.

I agree. A movie like this has a lot of potential.
    I’m so conflicted about The Flash movie.

On one hand,if it’s good,it’s good.But it’s a movie designed to delete the Snyderverse ( which effectively kills the trinity of Batfleck,Gadots Wonder Woman,and Cavills Supes ) which disgusts me.

Also Ezra Miller is a psychopath.I just can’t watch the film objectively considering what he’s done in real life.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    The anointed one has spoken!
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Watched the movie this weekend and I must say I really loved it. It's not a perfect film but what is? The plot is easy to follow and has a cool explanation for time travel, which has been done to death at this point.

Miller does a nice job playing against himself and Keaton rocks as Batman. The CGI is bad, like really bad. Some sequences look terrible and take you out of the story.
    The babies looks terrible at the hospital scene. The Chronebowl (someone correct that if I am wrong, looks terrible with almost Scorpion King level characters. I was not a fan of the stunt ending nor did it get a big reaction at the end. Don't bother staying for the post credit scene as it really is pointless and as far as I can tell sets up nothing!

I would say the movie strikes the right balance between humour and action. Keaton is amazing as Bruce.
    This was surprisingly good.
    Having the climax predicated on Barry having to say goodbye to his mother was effective.
  • I find it interesting how split audiences seem to be about this movie. One portion seems to be heavily against by notion of it starring Ezra Miller. Another seems to be against it due to being fans of the Zack Snyder DC Films, then you have the people who aren’t really in tune with all the drama online (aka the General Audience) saying that the film is pretty good despite some poor vfx. Could this truly be the most polarizing DC Film to date?
    Another seems to be against it due to being fans of the Zack Snyder DC Film

Which is ironic given that Snyder called it the best DC film!

I’m not sure I would agree with him there. For the Snyderverse? Maybe. I only saw most of them just one time in theaters, but I definitely enjoyed this one more than most. I skipped BLACK ADAM and SHAZAM 2.

I partly went into this because it was praised by Gunn, and then was even more intrigued when Snyder gave it his approval. This movie is a real oddity when it comes to gauging reactions. It’s not getting the greatest reviews from critics, but it’s far better than what the last few DC titles have gotten.
  • edited June 2023 Posts: 2,070
    Another seems to be against it due to being fans of the Zack Snyder DC Film

Which is ironic given that Snyder called it the best DC film!

I’m not sure I would agree with him there. For the Snyderverse? Maybe. I only saw most of them just one time in theaters, but I definitely enjoyed this one more than most. I skipped BLACK ADAM and SHAZAM 2.

I partly went into this because it was praised by Gunn, and then was even more intrigued when Snyder gave it his approval. This movie is a real oddity when it comes to gauging reactions. It’s not getting the greatest reviews from critics, but it’s far better than what the last few DC titles have gotten.

I think a lot of people are going to have a hard time trying to approach this movie objectively for some reason or another. I haven’t seen it yet myself, but I’ve kind of lost a lot of my interest in the DCEU over these last couple of years. Gunn’s reboot is what I’m looking forward to now outside of what Matt Reeves is doing with Batman. But I can’t help but notice this online campaign (mainly on Twitter/YouTube) to discourage people from seeing this film, and a lot of the people responsible are either Snyder fans, or people boycotting the movie due to Ezra Miller, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the reason some critics may have had an issue with the movie is due to the latter.

It’s frustrating seeing the Snyder fans pile on this film though, and I say that as a fan of his DC work.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    This is might be the ultimate What if! What if DC had patience and not rushed Justice League, but set up all the characters ahead of a main movie? What if someone had reigned in Snyder somewhat from his overly ambitious JL. What if Affleck had been given a chance with his Batman?

So many what if's here. I enjoyed Black Adam, didn't bother seeing Shazam as it didn't look as good as the original one.

To me The Flash had the right amount of comedy and had some interesting action pieces. The ending bogs a bit with a CGI fight battle that seems light on action. I love the story arc of Flash. The end has a touching moment that hit me and my son. I really enjoyed seeing Keaton back. They don't give him a big dramatic opening sequence, but I like how it fits into the story. I read today that a 4 hour version of the movie exists and while I don't think I could sit through it I am curious what was left on the cutting room floor.

The story lacks a villain proper, though I suppose you would say Zod is the villain. But he really doesn't do much and he doesn't have any scenes with Flash. Part of me is excited by Gunn's Superman as I think he will be bold enough to take it in a different direction.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    With so many superhero movies around (I just watched Quantumania a couple of days ago) there's nothing about this one which compels me to see it right now. Feels like another I can wait to stream.
  • edited June 2023 Posts: 2,896
    I enjoyed The Flash, though it's another version of The Flashpoint Paradox and the animated film did a better job with the story material. Miller overdoes the nerd schtick in the first quarter of the film, but afterwards he's impressively effective on "double duty." I agree with everyone else about the CGI being bad and overdone, and how excellent it was to see Keaton's Batman again. The pacing is off, perhaps because the film is tonally all over the map. More reactions under the spoiler tag...
    The villain--Michael Shannon's Zod again--is like a dull afterthought. This is another area where The Flashpoint Paradox had the advantage and managed to create a greater sense of apocalyptic dread and urgency, a sense that that the Flash had to wipe this failed world out of existence.

Keaton's introduction consists of an overlengthy fight scene, and much of his screentime is taken up with more fight scenes--but our love for this version of the character wasn't based on him being a great fighter. The film doesn't give Keaton enough character moments for him to sink his teeth into, and as the film went on I got the increasing sense this wasn't fully the Keaton/Burton version of Batman.

The new version of Supergirl is a fine addition to the cinematic DCU, but she has the world's shortest character arc. Like Keaton she's short-changed by the film, even more so. I realize the name of the movie is The Flash, and it can only give the supporting characters so much screentime, but more could have been done with Supergirl.

What's with Nicholas Cage's Superman getting moe screentime than Adam West's Batman?
    Having the climax predicated on Barry having to say goodbye to his mother was effective.

Yes, I have to admit I got emotional during that part. One of those moments where humanity briefly pokes out of the studio product.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I could see Hoult bringing back the innocence of Superman.
    Hoult would be great as Clark I think.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    ‘Superman: Legacy’ taps David Corenswet and Rachel Brosnahan to play Clark Kent and Lois Lane:

https://deadline.com/2023/06/superman-legacy-david-corenswet-rachel-brosnahan-cast-1235420180/
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    He was my pick for the role.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I was hoping Danny DeVito would get the role but can't win them all, I guess.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Another role that Nicholas Hoult won't play.

I liked Rachel Brosnahan's performance in Dead for a Dollar. I'd like to see more of her. She's going places.

Creasy47 wrote: »
    I was hoping Danny DeVito would get the role but can't win them all, I guess.
    "Whaddaya mean I didn't get the role?!"

devito-as-shorty.gif
    I like those picks. I’m ecstatic.

Especially the new Lois. Casting her tells me they’ll be going for screwball comedy, which I think is an essential component to Lois and Clark as they were both created in that era. Singer and Snyder sapping that aspect from their films is what partly made SR and MOS depressing to watch.
    Corenswet fan art...
    Xh5SWad.png
    I am relatively happy with the choices though other than clips I have not watched anything either of them have starred in as far as I know. David Corenswet looks the part more so than Hoult, I do recall Hoult was in the running to play Les Luther also...
  • edited June 2023 Posts: 2,070
    Very pleased with the choices, I’m confident that both Corenswet and Brosnahan’s will deliver. Now I can’t wait to see who Gunn casts as Batman.
    edited June 2023 Posts: 8,025
    So I never saw Corenswet in anything ever before, and then I saw two clips of him. Yeah… sorry Cavill, I’m not gonna miss you.

This guy has legit Clark Kent energy.
    Just watched a few interviews with Rachel Brosnahan, personality wise Gunn must have instantly thought... 'Yep that's our Lois'.

Corenswet is in Pearl which I have been meaning to watch, Pearl is a prequel to the film X which was a decent horror.
  • Yeah… sorry Cavill, I’m not gonna miss you.

Let’s not dismiss Cavill like that already, especially when we haven’t even seen a frame of footage of Corenswet as Superman, because while you may not miss him, Cavill still has legions of fans from his take, and he’s going to be a tough act to follow.
    Yeah… sorry Cavill, I’m not gonna miss you.

Let’s not dismiss Cavill like that already, especially when we haven’t even seen a frame of footage of Corenswet as Superman, because while you may not miss him, Cavill still has legions of fans from his take, and he’s going to be a tough act to follow.

Totally agree, I am fan of Cavill and he was great as Superman.
  • Yeah… sorry Cavill, I’m not gonna miss you.

Totally agree, I am fan of Cavill and he was great as Superman.

Same here! I think the man perfectly embodied everything about the character, even if some of the material he was given was questionable. Ben Affleck was quite marvelous too.