DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Two more days till Gotham By Gaslight.
    Can't wait for that! :D
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited January 2018 Posts: 40,551
    He’s starting his makeup brand?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I like Zach though I hope he is hitting the gym, I think I needs to bulk up for the role.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California

I like Zach though I hope he is hitting the gym, I think I needs to bulk up for the role.

He has gotten quite a bit bigger, but its less critical for him to be as muscular as other superheroes since we will probably never see him on screen out of his Shazam costume (which will likely have a muscle suit underneath anyway).
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

He has gotten quite a bit bigger, but its less critical for him to be as muscular as other superheroes since we will probably never see him on screen out of his Shazam costume (which will likely have a muscle suit underneath anyway).

Good point he could wear a suit similar to Affleck, Ben is a big guy though that suit makes him look like a monster. Zach is very tall which will certainly add to the larger than life persona.
  • I’m not too familiar with Shazam but am I correct in assuming that while Billy is in ‘Shazam’ mode, he still acts like a kid? Because there’s potential comedy gold there.
    Or is it a totally separate persona?
    I’m not too familiar with Shazam but am I correct in assuming that while Billy is in ‘Shazam’ mode, he still acts like a kid? Because there’s potential comedy gold there.

Captain Marvel is a big idiot at times.

I’m not too familiar with Shazam but am I correct in assuming that while Billy is in ‘Shazam’ mode, he still acts like a kid? Because there’s potential comedy gold there.

In the original Captain Marvel comics he acted like an adult superhero. In modern comics (and in his animated appearances) he still acts like a kid.
    Shazam has started filming

27576590_167149000580883_5759407215286943744_n.jpg
    I keep reading rumours that Superman may appear in Shazam, it's common for these characters to meet or clash though I think it could be a mistake to have Supes in the first Shazam film.
    zacharylevi Under this cloak...I’m wearing my full Shazam! outfit. Jealoussssssssss??? #firstlook #likeaglooooooove
    Joaquin Phoenix in talks to play The Joker in Todd Phillips' standalone DC film:

http://www.slashfilm.com/joaquin-phoenix-the-joker-todd-phillips/
    I hope they remove the punk gangster Joker and place a traditional version of the character. No tattoos, gold teeth, piercings or whatever.
    I hope they remove the punk gangster Joker and place a traditional version of the character. No tattoos, gold teeth, piercings or whatever.

One can only hope. I knew I wasn't going to like his take from that first thug-looking image of him.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Phoenix will be a lot better than Leto.

I've no doubts about that. Don't get me wrong, I like Leto and still think he could've made a great Joker, but the direction they took didn't do it for me in the slightest.
    Precisely!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

I'm fairly certain there's no way he could be worse.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Phoenix would be an excellent choice for this role. He definitely can be chillingly disturbing when he wants to be (Gladiator).
    edited February 2018 Posts: 1,257

I'm fairly certain there's no way he could be worse.

I was CERTAIN Leto would give us an excellent and faithful version of the Joker. Then I saw the first image of him in character and was horribly disappointed. Despite his appearance, I was CERTAIN he would at least give us an excellent performance and characterization. Once again, I was horribly disappointed.

After al that, I don't feel anything is necessarily certain, but if Phoenix and whoever is directing/writing has any sliver respect for the character as we know him, we should be fine.

Regardless, I don't feel like paying much attention to these rumors. We've seen so much talk but nothing to show for it with regard to these DC films. There is even talk of Michael bay directing a Lobo film. With DC/WB's inability to make solid films, why should we even care.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The big issue here is that we will be expected to believe that this Joker in Phoenix's hands is the same one that Leto played in SS, which is where the problems begin. These films already lack a sense of momentum, continuity or character development, with characters acting entirely different film to film and a poor sense of cohesion and tone pervading the entire "universe" thus far that can't decide if the stories are hard hitting and cynical or light and bombastic. Nothing really meshes, basically.

While I think Phoenix would be great and much better than Leto (Ayer's bad script made sure of that) I'm just checked out at this point, really. The only thing I want to see are Wonder Woman movies and maybe a Superman film if they can get someone who actually knows what they're doing to direct and write it. Beyond that, I have zero interest and am numb to anything relating to the other heroes and even Batman, which is the biggest shock of all. When I don't care about what happens to a live-action Batman, it's time to head back to the drawing board. The big team film of this universe couldn't even escape being a box tickingly dull and lifeless parade of moments we saw done better by Marvel in the past decade, and with characters that actually resemble their comic counterparts. The DCEU already stumbled out of the gate, but it's done nothing to pick up speed either outside of Wonder Woman, the only competent effort since Man of Steel which itself was far from a perfect film.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The big issue here is that we will be expected to believe that this Joker in Phoenix's hands is the same one that Leto played in SS, which is where the problems begin. These films already lack a sense of momentum, continuity or character development, with characters acting entirely different film to film and a poor sense of cohesion and tone pervading the entire "universe" thus far that can't decide if the stories are hard hitting and cynical or light and bombastic. Nothing really meshes, basically.

While I think Phoenix would be great and much better than Leto (Ayer's bad script made sure of that) I'm just checked out at this point, really. The only thing I want to see are Wonder Woman movies and maybe a Superman film if they can get someone who actually knows what they're doing to direct and write it. Beyond that, I have zero interest and am numb to anything relating to the other heroes and even Batman, which is the biggest shock of all. When I don't care about what happens to a live-action Batman, it's time to head back to the drawing board. The big team film of this universe couldn't even escape being a box tickingly dull and lifeless parade of moments we saw done better by Marvel in the past decade, and with characters that actually resemble their comic counterparts. The DCEU already stumbled out of the gate, but it's done nothing to pick up speed either outside of Wonder Woman, the only competent effort since Man of Steel which itself was far from a perfect film.

Phoenix's Joker is apparently supposed to be the standalone non-DCEU Joker.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Which makes me then ask what the point is? If we're going to have different versions of the same character I don't see why DC/WB are pushing a connected universe. I guess this is the latest iteration of their "larger plan" with these films, which they change every time a movie of theirs tanks (which has been almost every time). I've lost count of the projects that were scrapped, reimagined or simply forgotten at this point.
    I am done with DCEU sorry but a solo Batman film with Affleck should of been a number 1 priority instead the joker solo film is picking up speed as is Lobo and Shazam is filming for crying out loud Shazam people
    Well, seems they follow the model of the comics. DC is famous for reinvinting them on a whim, throwing contnuity to the winds and the like. It's been 33 years now, and the situation has only worsened with time. From Crisis on Infinite Earths to Rebirth, I've seen it all, and I still don't understand it. Why should the movies be different ?

Which makes me then ask what the point is? If we're going to have different versions of the same character I don't see why DC/WB are pushing a connected universe. I guess this is the latest iteration of their "larger plan" with these films, which they change every time a movie of theirs tanks (which has been almost every time). I've lost count of the projects that were scrapped, reimagined or simply forgotten at this point.

It's a great shame what's happened to the DC film slate. They need a definitive head to their film division, somebody who can rein in everyone under them, as Marvel has with Kevin Feige.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I am done with DCEU sorry but a solo Batman film with Affleck should of been a number 1 priority instead the joker solo film is picking up speed as is Lobo and Shazam is filming for crying out loud Shazam people
    I'm all for a solo Batman film (without Affleck though) but recognize that they may have to give it some time before reintroducing us to the Bat.

So I don't mind them focusing on The Joker for the time being (as long as it's a completely different and more mature take to Leto's).
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I thought the extended edition of SS redeemed Leto's Joker somewhat.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 1,257
    Risico007 wrote: »

Nothing wrong with that. Shazam is an excellent character. Of the two films on DC's immediate horizon, I'm actually a fair bit more excited for Shazam than Aquaman.