SKYFALL: FANS' REACTIONS - GUARANTEED SPOILERS

Comments

• BAIN123 wrote:
    SF is a better film/Bond film. That's just a fact.

We really feel the atmosphere of each and every location in SF - far more than in DAD. The film places us IN Shanghai and it feels like we are in more than just a studio with a backdrop.

The characters. Both the villain and the girl Servine have something resembling a backstory. This was a key trait in the books. What is Jinx's backstory? Errr....

I could go on but I'm not going to.

BAIN, I wouldn't respond anymore to the 2 morons above, who I'm fairly sure are the same person, who's just come on here to do a few rounds of good old-fashioned trolling.

I really wonder how large an inferiority complex you must have, that you feel that compelled to denigrate anyone who dares to have a different opinion than you. Oh and by the Way - the first Hour of DAD (untill 007 arrives in London and maybe a few minutes more) has about ten times more competence (regarding the Script), whit and of course James Bond than SF and Nobody is more Sorry about this than me!
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    SF is a better film/Bond film. That's just a fact.

We really feel the atmosphere of each and every location in SF - far more than in DAD. The film places us IN Shanghai and it feels like we are in more than just a studio with a backdrop.

The characters. Both the villain and the girl Servine have something resembling a backstory. This was a key trait in the books. What is Jinx's backstory? Errr....

I could go on but I'm not going to.

BAIN, I wouldn't respond anymore to the 2 morons above, who I'm fairly sure are the same person, who's just come on here to do a few rounds of good old-fashioned trolling.

I really wonder how large an inferiority complex you must have, that you feel that compelled to denigrate anyone who dares to have a different opinion than you. Oh and by the Way - the first Hour of DAD (untill 007 arrives in London and maybe a few minutes more) has about ten times more competence (regarding the Script), whit and of course James Bond than SF and Nobody is more Sorry about this than me!

You got to be jocking!?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited February 2013 Posts: 17,691
    SF is a good movie. So is CR. QOS is pretty good too. Can we all just agree here? Y'know, to break up the raging battle just a bit? :))
  • I am happy to agree that we disagree.
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    Ahhhh, my good buddy Matt Helm, who I am sure is the same person as the 2 trollers in question.

Of course you think that way about DAD. I wouldn't expect anything more from you...and you.....and you (addressing all 3 trollers in one).

• really?
  • Jet set willy
    I think you need to relax
    Try some "mink, it reduces the tension"
    No trolling here just disagreements.

We all like different bonds, is that really a surprise?
    hoppimike wrote:
    Just saw the Severine in the shower bit again. Seemed fine to me. In that honest trailers thing where it implies it's a bit like rape... it looks pretty darn consensual to me lol

Upon my rewatch I've just discovered something else I dislike about Skyfall... I don't actually like ANY of the new characters. In CR and QoS I did, but in Skyfall... I find Q too proud and snobby, Eve annoying, Silva tacky and fundamentally dislikable, Mallory uninteresting and Kincade... well, you know. Not exactly riveting.

Severine, I do like. But she dies so fast it barely matters lol

Some of the art in the movie is nice I'll admit, and I like the parts that echo QoS. Erm, it has a nice polish to it. I think the somewhat weak and melancholy atmosphere of it (primarily Bond being weaker and things being - as I said before - on a downer) just isn't my style. I do understand though that it's supposed to reflect a later stage of the character's career, and I understand the need to keep the series fresh.

Who knows, maybe it will lead to good things later o.O

Hoppimike, it's great to have someone with a fresh pair of eyes who speaks the truth. Frankly there are a lot of old farts on here who wouldn't know what a good film was if it came and slapped them round the face. I happen to agree with you but I like your absence of BS - you say it as it is, which is that SF is a bit of a downer and that's a strange thing for a Bond movie to be. OHMSS ends on a downer but overall the film is up beat. SF ends on a downer but overall the film is dreary and depressing.
    Getafix wrote:
    SF is a bit of a downer and that's a strange thing for a Bond movie to be. OHMSS ends on a downer but overall the film is up beat. SF ends on a downer but overall the film is dreary and depressing.
    Kind of why I like QOS the best of Craig's movies! I love the high note it ends on.

• edited February 2013 Posts: 11,189
    Getafix wrote:
    hoppimike wrote:
    Just saw the Severine in the shower bit again. Seemed fine to me. In that honest trailers thing where it implies it's a bit like rape... it looks pretty darn consensual to me lol

Upon my rewatch I've just discovered something else I dislike about Skyfall... I don't actually like ANY of the new characters. In CR and QoS I did, but in Skyfall... I find Q too proud and snobby, Eve annoying, Silva tacky and fundamentally dislikable, Mallory uninteresting and Kincade... well, you know. Not exactly riveting.

Some of the art in the movie is nice I'll admit, and I like the parts that echo QoS. Erm, it has a nice polish to it. I think the somewhat weak and melancholy atmosphere of it (primarily Bond being weaker and things being - as I said before - on a downer) just isn't my style. I do understand though that it's supposed to reflect a later stage of the character's career, and I understand the need to keep the series fresh.

Hoppimike, it's great to have someone with a fresh pair of eyes who speaks the truth. Frankly there are a lot of old farts on here who wouldn't know what a good film was if it came and slapped them round the face. I happen to agree with you but I like your absence of BS - you say it as it is, which is that SF is a bit of a downer and that's a strange thing for a Bond movie to be. OHMSS ends on a downer but overall the film is up beat. SF ends on a downer but overall the film is dreary and depressing.

Of the seven Bond films I've now seen in the cinema SF is the only one that left me wanting to genuinely see it again straight away. It was hardly depressing.
    Maybe its just me but this is the worst in the best movie franchise this planet has seen.
    I think its just you. I suggest you take another long look at films like DAD. That's probably more up your street....... ;)

It really is very tiresome seeing the SF fan club laying into everyone who dares criticise SF. Understand this - those who are disappointed by SF are not fans of DAD. What we dislike about SF is the fact that it reminds us of the bad old Brosnan era. SF didn't remind me of classic Bond, it felt like a remake of TWINE. That's exactly what I didn't like about it. I thought the DC era was taking us forward to bigger and better things and then we get SF - retrograde, poorly written and dubiously directed drek.

I 'respect' people's right to enjoy it but I cannot pretend for a moment it is a film worthy of being compared with the Bond classics. It is mid table mediocrity at best and with time I strongly suspect it will be relogated to the lower divisions.

I understand the desire to elevate the DC films to more than they truly are but people round here really need to get a grip.
    The photography makes it better than TWINE

The acting makes it better than TWINE

The cast makes it better than TWINE

The humour makes it better than TWINE

It's a better film than TWINE all round.

TWINE isn't all that bad in my view but SF is miles ahead of it in every respect.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    hoppimike wrote:

Of the seven Bond films I've now seen in the cinema SF is the only one that left me wanting to genuinely see it again straight away. It was hardly depressing.

Poor old Bain. You grew up watching the nadir of Bond - the Brosnan era. Of course you wouldn't want to see those films again. They're sh*t.

CR and QoS are much better films but only delusional lunatics would really claim that they're as good as the classic Bond era. CR is an earnest and decent film but it's not the joyous celebration of Bondness that some claim. The DC era is fine but at the end of the day it's not as good as Sean, Rog, or even Tim. It's not DC's fault. It's just that the writing is still not as good as it should be. Now that Purvis and Wade have gone I am looking forward to a proper Bond movie. Logan wrote some good scenes in SF and I am hopeful that left to his own devices he will deliver the goods for Bond 24.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 2,081
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Of the seven Bond films I've now seen in the cinema SF is the only one that left me wanting to genuinely see it again straight away. It was hardly depressi g.

I've been going to see new Bond films in cinema since the 80s and for me it was also the only one I wanted to see again straight away. To me it was a joyful experience, it was beautiful, and made me smile a lot (during and after). Like a mix of vitamins and endorphins gulped down, feeling energized and smiley afterwards, or a bit giddy even just thinking of various things in it. Talking of it as depressing is just weird to me. It always amazes me how differently people see and experience films.
    Getafix wrote:

It really is very tiresome seeing the SF fan club laying into everyone who dares criticise SF.

---

I understand the desire to elevate the DC films to more than they truly are but people round here really need to get a grip.

Um-hum. Somehow that doesn't seem quite logical. ;) You complain of attacks from those who have different views, yet attack others in a similar manner for the same reason. Would you like to be told to "get a grip" by those who disagree with your views?

Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    hoppimike wrote:

Poor old Bain. You grew up watching the nadir of Bond - the Brosnan era. Of course you wouldn't want to see those films again. They're sh*t.

CR and QoS are much better films but only delusional lunatics would really claim that they're as good as the classic Bond era. CR is an earnest and decent film but it's not the joyous celebration of Bondness that some claim. The DC era is fine but at the end of the day it's not as good as Sean, Rog, or even Tim. It's not DC's fault. It's just that the writing is still not as good as it should be. Now that Purvis and Wade have gone I am looking forward to a proper Bond movie. Logan wrote some good scenes in SF and I am hopeful that left to his own devices he will deliver the goods for Bond 24.

I never said I didn't enjoy the Brosnan films at the time. SF was just the only film ive seen in the cinema that left me literally buzzing. I've never felt that walking out at the end of a Bond film before.

2/3 of DC's films are better than most of rogers and both of Tims.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    The photography makes it better than TWINE

The acting makes it better than TWINE

The cast makes it better than TWINE

The humour makes it better than TWINE

It's a better film than TWINE all round.

TWINE isn't all that bad in my view but SF is miles ahead of it in every respect.

Yes, it's better than TWINE, but that's not hard because TWINE was complete and utter cr*@.

It's like comparing Strongbow with Carling - both cr*@ but inevitably someone is going to prefer one over the other. But they're still just cr*@.
    Well give me SF anyday. I've already seen it twice since buying the blu ray.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 11,425
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    hoppimike wrote:

I never said I didn't enjoy the Brosnan films at the time. SF was just the only film ive seen in the cinema that left me literally buzzing. I've never felt that walking out at the end of a Bond film before.

2/3 of DC's films are better than most of rogers and both of Tims.

I'm just going to say it how I see it. The Brosnan films are total garbage. Frankly I don't understand how any one sees any merit in them whatsoever. By comparison the DC films are much much better but none of them capture the joyfulness of Sean or Rog, or even of Laz or Tim. That's just the way I see it. I can't pretend any more that I think the DC films are as good as what was made up until 89 - they're just not. They might be technically competent with some decent acting but they just lack the special something that the Cubby films had. Call me a heretic if you like but I'm just saying it how I see it and I can't pretend to agree with the SF/DC crowd any longer.

When you think the emperor has no clothes you have to say so.
    How you can imply that films like AVTAK, MR, DAF, AVTAK or heck even OP(and I like that film) are better than the likes of CR or SF is beyond me. . Not all Rogers or Seans or even Tims were classics (TLD is decent but doesn't match early Connery by a long shot).

I say it again not all of those films were great but then again If you'd rather watch an ageing soon-to-be pensioner surfing to the beach boys or seducing women old enough to be his daughters be my guest. That film was made before 89 after all ;)

I think people have a tendency to look back at "old Bond" with Rose tinted glasses.
    The fact is I'd rather watch the best 4 Sean films, Laz's film, Rog's best 3, and Tim's 2 over anything made since. To me they're just better movies- more entertaining, more thrilling, dramatic, wwitty, better written, with better stunts, characters and more all round enjoyability than anything made since.

To be honest I like DC as Bond but I just don't think his films overall are as good as they should have been. We live in the post modern era when everything has to be that much cleverer than it used to be to pass muster and DC's films were unfortunately written by a couple of idiots. It's not his fault - it's just the way the cookie crumbles. Babs and MGW have made a lot of progress since GE but for some reason they have not been able to sort out the writing and that has been their achilies heel.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I never said I didn't enjoy the Brosnan films at the time.
    I still enjoy Brosnan's movies- he has as many wins as Moore IMO.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    2/3 of DC's films are better than .... both of Tims.

I think that right there gives me a licence to kill.... :-w
    Tuulia wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Of the seven Bond films I've now seen in the cinema SF is the only one that left me wanting to genuinely see it again straight away. It was hardly depressi g.

I've been going to see new Bond films in cinema since the 80s and for me it was also the only one I wanted to see again straight away. To me it was a joyful experience, it was beautiful, and made me smile a lot (during and after). Like a mix of vitamins and endorphins gulped down, feeling energized and smiley afterwards, or a bit giddy even just thinking of various things in it. Talking of it as depressing is just weird to me. It always amazes me how differently people see and experience films.
    Getafix wrote:

It really is very tiresome seeing the SF fan club laying into everyone who dares criticise SF.

---

Um-hum. Somehow that doesn't seem quite logical. ;) You complain of attacks from those who have different views, yet attack others in a similar manner for the same reason. Would you like to be told to "get a grip" by those who disagree with your views?

I don't care too much. I find most of the people on here pretty reasonable. I think most people understand that you can disagree and it isn't the end of the world. I disagree with a lot of what Bain says but I can tell that he is a decent bloke. Some people like German Lady are clearly certifiable but I just try and avoid them.

I think at some point you just have to say it as it is and for me the DC era is an improvement on the disaster that was Brosnan but still overall disappointing. For me he simply hasn't made a film that stands up to the classics. Laz, Rog and Tim all have classic Bonds IMO to rival if not surpass the best Connery movies. DC, despite having the potential to be great, has not made a film that bears comparison.

I'm not trying to offend any of those people who love to get wound up, I'm just saying it how I see it.
  • Sorry what I meant to say was:
    yeah but we are talking about bond respecting people not vesper respecting people.
    my bad

Jet set willy
    please dont insult me I have been a bond fan since I was a kid.
    I absolutely LOVE them.
    DAD would be lucky to make my top 20.

At first you said Skyfall was the worst, now it's AVTAK and TWINE. I'm thinking you haven't thought about this very much.

I'd take AVTAK and TWINE over DAD and MR, no question. Only DAD exceeds MR as the worst Bond film, and that's mostly because of Sir Roger's sense of humor and style.
  • I have never seen some one defend AVTAK before, very interesting.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 3,279
    Getafix wrote:
    I 'respect' people's right to enjoy it but I cannot pretend for a moment it is a film worthy of being compared with the Bond classics. It is mid table mediocrity at best and with time I strongly suspect it will be relogated to the lower divisions.

I think you need to get a grip mate. You seem to have a hard time accepting fans like SF, and you have been like this since the film came out. Maybe you were hoping (still are probably) that eventually the hype will die down and we will all join the Getafix Gang, in knocking SF together. Well to put you out of your misery - it ain't going to happen. I can only see the love for SF getting stronger now that it is released on DVD and we can all watch it again.

I respect your opinion in that you prefer the Dalton films and hate Brozza's - this is where our tastes are very similar.

However, I honestly believe what we have now is as good, if not better, than Dalton's era. For some reason you cannot see it. Either you see too many hangovers from the Brosnan era when watching DC's films, or your judgement is being clouded by nostalgia for a bygone era which really wasn't all that either.

The chello scene in TLD I found silly, a hangover from the Moore era, and the scenes in Afghanistan are really dull to me, not very Bond like at all. Also, watching AVTAK again recently, and there seems to be a lot of check list ticks throughout the film, that I noticed appear in Dalton's films too - all too contrived and formulaic. The one thing all 3 of DC's films don't do is follow the same formula pattern. Each one is very, very different to the next.

LTK, as much as I love it, is not without its faults either. The overall direction has an 80's TV movie vibe, without the sheen and exotic style we expect in Bond movies. The cinematography alone in SF wipes the floor with anything seen in Daltons' films.

• edited February 2013 Posts: 3,279
    Getafix wrote:
    Hoppimike, it's great to have someone with a fresh pair of eyes who speaks the truth. Frankly there are a lot of old farts on here who wouldn't know what a good film was if it came and slapped them round the face. I happen to agree with you
    You are in good company with this guy, Getafix. He has only seen 2 Connery films, and the Brozza and Craig films, and he loves GE, DAD and Indy 4 - right up your street, eh?

Ignore the old farts on here who love Dalton and Connery films like me, as I wouldn't know what a good film was if it came up and slapped me round the face, and get cosy with your new found friend.

I'm sure you have many things in common...... :D
  • Sorry what I meant to say was:
    yeah but we are talking about bond respecting people not vesper respecting people.
    my bad

Jet set willy
    please dont insult me I have been a bond fan since I was a kid.
    I absolutely LOVE them.
    DAD would be lucky to make my top 20.

At first you said Skyfall was the worst, now it's AVTAK and TWINE. I'm thinking you haven't thought about this very much.

I'd take AVTAK and TWINE over DAD and MR, no question. Only DAD exceeds MR as the worst Bond film, and that's mostly because of Sir Roger's sense of humor and style.

What? when did I mention AVTAK or TWINE?
    My top 23 is in the other thread if you want to take a look.
    Which you obviously need to instead of making up sh*t that I never said!!
    Getafix wrote:
    Hoppimike, it's great to have someone with a fresh pair of eyes who speaks the truth. Frankly there are a lot of old farts on here who wouldn't know what a good film was if it came and slapped them round the face. I happen to agree with you
    You are in good company with this guy, Getafix. He has only seen 2 Connery films, and the Brozza and Craig films, and he loves GE, DAD and Indy 4 - right up your street, eh?

Ignore the old farts on here who love Dalton and Connery films like me, as I wouldn't know what a good film was if it came up and slapped me round the face, and get cosy with your new found friend.

I'm sure you have many things in common...... :D

Does someone need to have watched 22 other films to realise that DAD is not very good? No. Ditto SF.

I totally accept that in terms of production values the DC films are in a higher league than a lot of the earlier films, but that doesn't make them classics. DC is a good Bond but the films are just not as good as the best of the past. I wish I could pretend otherwise but I can't. Dalton was a better Bond in better films.
    Tuulia wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Getafix wrote:

---

It was ALWAYS like that. We call it double standard. But nothing will change it until all jump on the Getafix anti SF wagon, But - like Willy said - not gonna happen. The DVD's are seeling like crazy - another example for how good the film still is in peoples mind.

Getafix wrote:
    Does someone need to have watched 22 other films to realise that DAD is not very good? No. Ditto SF.

I totally accept that in terms of production values the DC films are in a higher league than a lot of the earlier films, but that doesn't make them classics. DC is a good Bond but the films are just not as good as the best of the past. I wish I could pretend otherwise but I can't. Dalton was a better Bond in better films.
    DAD is a bad film period, regardless of whether you have seen the other Bond films. The fact that hoppinmike loves that and Indy 4, yet doesn't like SF speaks volumes to me.

I doubt your opinion will ever change on DC and his films, or on SF, so I won't try to change your mind.

Likewise, you should extend the SF fans here the same respect. I don't see SF as a flash-in-the-pan, quick trend that will slowly turn everyone against it over time. It is a film that is extremely good, both as a Bond film and as a standalone film, and this has been recognised globally by critics everywhere, not to mention the awards it is picking up along the way.

It's not just members here who have been won over by SF - it's happened everywhere. I think this is what you are having difficulty accepting. How can a Bond film be gaining so much popularity, both commercially and critically, and yet you don't see it? This must be the question you keep asking yourself, and why you keep getting frustrated with SF fans on here.