SKYFALL: FANS' REACTIONS - GUARANTEED SPOILERS

Comments

• edited February 2013 Posts: 6,601
    RC7 wrote:
    I think everyone's gone mental. The Gunbarrel and DB5 are not even slightly similar. I think everyone's blinded by there obsession with SF. You know, it is possible to adore the film, and have issues with it. It's actually quite amusing watching everyone fall over themselves in their quest to prove that it is a masterpiece of cinema.

It speaks for itsself, that you promote YOUR views in more or less harsh words, but at the same time can't live with and belittle those, who speak out for THEIR point of view and I am not even talking of myself. I ceased to expect certain people to stop arguing about everyting I say, because its me, but there are others around, who might count for more in your mind... and even they don't agree with everything you say. So - ridiculing that is hardly a mature way to deal with things. Just saying...maybe pay others more respect then you give me. Saying they are going mental is hardly the right way.

BTW - just for the record - I agreed on the gb.
    The DB5 was Sean Connery's car that wasn't in the films for 30 years, but since GE they've bought back it time and time again for a cheap nostalgia grab (although I liked it in SF).

The gunbarrel is an iconic, fanastic opening sequence design that has never left the series and was always at the start until CR. Maybe I am being old fashioned but for 19 years of me watching Bond movies the GB was at the start and I see no reason to change that. It's where it worked best.

If the gunbarrel can go why not ditch the theme song and title sequence? Yes we'd miss out on great theme songs and title designs, but it'd be so much more arty and striking if we got a nice shot followed by the films name instead. Let's have a terribly designed sped up title sequence at the end of the movie, instead of a great one in the middle. I don't see the difference between that and the gunbarrel.

@Benny Completely agree. Nice shot but I really would've preferred a gunbarrel. You can't beat seeing the lights go down then having the white dots roll across the cinema screen. Fantastic.

@RC7 I think most of the people saying the GB doesn't matter will be celebrating with the rest of us if it's at the start of Bond 24 (providing it's good) because they just want to like everything about the film.

I agree, it's possible to like Skyfall while pointing out flaws with it. Some people though don't seem to be happy unless everybody thinks it's a masterpiece.

I agree about the gunbarrel. It's a beautiful motif that signals (or used to) that you're about to be thoroughly entertained. put it back where it belongs!

Next they'll be scrapping the PTS.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 3,279
    hoppimike wrote:
    The problem is that it's completely out of character for James Bond both as a character and as a movie series.

For a person who has only just seen Dr. No and GF for the very first time, and never watched any other Connery flick, OHMSS or any of the Moore or Dalton flicks, or read one single page from Fleming, I don't really think you are in a position to state boldly who the character of James Bond is.
  • hoppimikehoppimike Kent, UK
    Germanlady wrote:
    Brady, if you look back, its only very few people, who are complaining about the DBS es. They hardly reflect the majority - neither here nor worldwide.
    As I see it from reactions here and worldwide, people were fine with the mix of old and new

Please stop repeating this logic that popularity = quality or just because something is popular, no-one else can express a negative opinion on it.

Am I not allowed to dislike anything popular, ever? I must have missed a memo :)

And I would bet that there are multiple things that you yourself dislike that MOST people like.

It's natural o.O
    hoppimike wrote:
    On another note, I just saw Dr. No and it was pretty cool I enjoyed it! Entertaining from start to finish :)

Welcome to the world of James Bond. Come back and talk to me when you've watched all the films at least more than twice, read a few novels too, then I'd be interested to know more of your opinion on SF.

As it is now, you are coming off slightly offensive with making comparisons to people liking SF to liking Lada Gaga too.
    RC7 wrote:
    A total non-argument. Of course they would react like that, the general audience are only interested in the their own self-satisfaction. Giving them some nostalgic hits is always going to put a smile on their face. But we, as Bond fans, have the interest of the franchise at heart. The gaps between films and the age of the franchise suggest the anniversary's will come thick and fast. I really want them to knock the homage nonsense on the head. However timeless and beautiful the DB5 is, it's the past. They managed fine without it from TB - GE. The only decent inclusion being CR. It's symptomatic of modern pop-culture, combined with the risk-averse nature of business during a recession. Everyone wants guaranteed success, and what better way to do that than look to what was successful in the past and do it again. The problem is, you create nothing for the future, it's alright in the here and now, but 20 years down the line it's an unsustainable model. We need new icons. Simple as that.
    I agree with this to an extent. The DAD homages were terrible, the Aston Martin DB5 in CR was pointless, and the Fields moment in QoS totally unnecessary.

However, the nods in SF worked for me, including the reappearance of the original GF DB5. This was a celebration done properly and tastefully, like it should have been done with DAD.

But here I want the nods to end. I want the next film to be free of its past nods, to be a standalone GF or TSWLM, a film which puts the gunbarrel back at the start, has Bond being briefed by M in his normal office, a little flirtation with Moneypenny, and then sent off on an assignment. A formula Bond film for once, without too much looking back or inward. It would be nice to see Craig in a film like this.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    hoppimike wrote:
    The problem is that it's completely out of character for James Bond both as a character and as a movie series.

For a person who has only just seen Dr. No and GF for the very first time, and never watched any other Connery flick, OHMSS or any of the Moore or Dalton flicks, or read one single page from Fleming, I don't really think you are in a position to state boldly who the character of James Bond is.

This is what we call 'hitting the nail on the head' where I come from, @jetsetwilly. ;-) Bond is far more complex than what one could possibly distil from a mere few films.

• Benny wrote:
    I'm in the group of fans who would like to see the gun barrel back at beginning of the film. Call me old fashioned, but Bond films start with the gun barrel. It's one of the things that sets Bond aside from all the immitators. The white dots racing across the screen, the Bond theme blaring at full volume. You're instantly transported into this thrilling world, and without it, it just feels....meh!
    Skyfalls opening was ok, but I'll go the gun barrel opening over artsy fartsy gumpf thanks. The gun barrel could still have opened SF and you could've retained all the Ronson scene intact. Leave out the overly dramatic and blurred entrance, and problem solved.

I'm with you on this Benny. After the gunbarrel there is always that white circle, and that could have been used to slowly fade in on Bond just how the scene opened. I could understand what they were going for in CR/QOS, but I just don't agree with Mendes on this one and was surprised he went against tradition. There's something just a little off about Skyfall, it feels like a traditional Bond film yet these little details plus Bond's backstory with M also make it almost feel like a continuation of CR/QOS minus QUANTUM. If that makes any sense.

RC7 wrote:
    I think everyone's gone mental. The Gunbarrel and DB5 are not even slightly similar. I think everyone's blinded by there obsession with SF. You know, it is possible to adore the film, and have issues with it. It's actually quite amusing watching everyone fall over themselves in their quest to prove that it is a masterpiece of cinema.

That's how I feel about it too. It's a top 10 Bond film that does so many things well and mostly makes sense to me and others who like the film. I can't wait to see it again Tuesday evening at home with my son and will enjoy this one for many years to come. But it has it's faults as well and falls short of my top 5 of GF, CR, LTK, FRWL, and TLD.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I think some people are being too harsh and overly critical of the nostalgic iconography. What's deemed logical in any film, particularly in a Bond film is too flexible to state it in such a black or White way. The perspective of what's deemed logical stems from a narrative point of view AND what needs to be implemented to please the masses. Some things aren't meant to make much sense other than to simply excite.
    At this point I see a lot of pointless arguing despite the fact that one of the biggest pieces of Bond iconography in SF was destroyed as a means to do exactly what some people here are hoping for. SF wasn't a perfect movie but one thing that is constantly being concluded is that SF as a movie has secured the future of Bond movies to continue and remain relevant.
    Mendes has gone on record stating that, SF is a film that mixes the old with the new and that there are nods and moments that harken back to the days of old. We knew this going into the movie and whether one likes it or not it worked. SF marks the 50 year anniversary of the series, I think some people here need to lighten up because as serious as SF was, it, like every other Bond movie before it doesn't take itself too seriously.
    Given that SF marked 50 years, I'd like to give the producers the benefit of the doubt in that, as SF was in preproduction they were also thinking about sewing the seeds for another 50 years, so, naturally, there are going to be obvious connections to the previous movies to some degree in SF but for Bond 24 or more noticeably, the ending of SF ushers in new era of modern Bond movies that can move away from being shackled to old establishments and be given the flexibility to create new iconic structures and to be honest, that already started in CR with, the casting of Craig himself. No other Bond actor since Connery has been given such positive media and critical praise as much as Craig has and to think, hordes of people from all over the world balked at the idea of his casting. But look at it now, look at the respect, accolades, critical acclaim and the financial success Craig has garnered. A man far removed from the look of his predecessors and yet, Bond hasn't seen this sort of success and awareness blitz since the days of TB.
    SF ushered in a new take on familiar characters that keep these movies what they are and should be in the form of M,Q and Moneypenny, even a return to the classic yet timeless Westminister-esque London office of Univex. The groundwork has been set and Bond 24 and beyond now, has the freedom to create and explore new grounds and iconography while at the same time respecting it's own history.
    RC7 wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    We as Bondfans have the interest of the franchise at heart???- Really? Rarely I read such an example of overstatement of self importance on this board.

Well if you don't have the interest of the franchise at heart, that's up to you. I'll still be there when the SF lovers have disappeared to pastures new in 10 years. If that's self importance, so be it. Sue me.

I have found that EON has vastly improved upon the formula since QoB with SF, the movie is not perfect but a shedload better in entertainment. WHich has been the one thing I have enjoyed with this franchise since I encountered it.

I am not a great fan of the DC era, but with half of it being fairly good and it having some great ideas I do know that I will live to see another movie and dare I say another Bond actor with a possible different direction.

And unless Barbara asks me to put forward some ideas I shall remain in my fanmode, either enjoying or being annoyed. But at no moment do I have the idea that any of my remaks will influence the franchise at any moment. Untill 007 becomes Black or female I will probably watch and buy the stuff.

Benny wrote:
    I'm in the group of fans who would like to see the gun barrel back at beginning of the film. Call me old fashioned, but Bond films start with the gun barrel. It's one of the things that sets Bond aside from all the immitators. The white dots racing across the screen, the Bond theme blaring at full volume. You're instantly transported into this thrilling world, and without it, it just feels....meh!
    Skyfalls opening was ok, but I'll go the gun barrel opening over artsy fartsy gumpf thanks. The gun barrel could still have opened SF and you could've retained all the Ronson scene intact. Leave out the overly dramatic and blurred entrance, and problem solved.

I'm with you on this Benny. After the gunbarrel there is always that white circle, and that could have been used to slowly fade in on Bond just how the scene opened. I could understand what they were going for in CR/QOS, but I just don't agree with Mendes on this one and was surprised he went against tradition. There's something just a little off about Skyfall, it feels like a traditional Bond film yet these little details plus Bond's backstory with M also make it almost feel like a continuation of CR/QOS minus QUANTUM. If that makes any sense.

RC7 wrote:

That's how I feel about it too. It's a top 10 Bond film that does so many things well and mostly makes sense to me and others who like the film. I can't wait to see it again Tuesday evening at home with my son and will enjoy this one for many years to come. But it has it's faults as well and falls short of my top 5 of GF, CR, LTK, FRWL, and TLD.

Agree completely about the gun barrel. Mendes' reason for not using it as the start makes absolutely no sense. It would have worked perfectly with the opening shot. If only this were the only mistake in the direction and editing though!

Your top five is pretty impeccable. Can't really argue with it too much apart from CR. Glad to see GF in there as well.
    Welcome to the world of James Bond. Come back and talk to me when you've watched all the films at least more than twice, read a few novels too, then I'd be interested to know more of your opinion on SF.

As it is now, you are coming off slightly offensive with making comparisons to people liking SF to liking Lada Gaga too.

You don't honestly believe that's what I said do you?

I was just using Lady Gaga, Harry Potter, The Hunger Games and any number of other things to illustrate that popularity does not necessarily mean quality.

And I don't intend on watching all of the films twice and then reading a bunch of the books. I have other things to do with my time than spend 80+ hours watching films.
    hoppimike wrote:

I was just using Lady Gaga, Harry Potter, The Hunger Games and any number of other things to illustrate that popularity does not necessarily mean quality.

And I don't intend on watching all of the films twice and then reading a bunch of the books. I have other things to do with my time than spend 80+ hours watching films.

What you clearly say is - that gaga, Potter and Hunger isn't quality. Well, for some it is.
    Life with it and don't argue around your own wording and meaning. At least have the guts to stand by your word, hoppi.
    hoppimike wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:
    Brady, if you look back, its only very few people, who are complaining about the DBS es. They hardly reflect the majority - neither here nor worldwide.
    As I see it from reactions here and worldwide, people were fine with the mix of old and new

Please stop repeating this logic that popularity = quality or just because something is popular, no-one else can express a negative opinion on it.

Am I not allowed to dislike anything popular, ever? I must have missed a memo :)

And I would bet that there are multiple things that you yourself dislike that MOST people like.

It's natural o.O

Tell me where I said it. I referred to the number of people, who said something and pointed out, that it was a minority. So - maybe think or read twice before asking ***questions?
    hoppimike wrote:

In that case don't start spouting off on here about what is the James Bond definitive character. At least have the knowledge of the entire franchise before making such bold statements.

As its stands at the moment, you sound 100% clueless about what a Bond film is. Your experience runs as far back as GE, and you've admitted to only just watching Dr. NO and GF.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 11,189
    hoppimike wrote:

With all due respect @hoppimike if you're serious enough about James Bond that you joined this site then surely you are at least open to seeing the films again and reading "a bunch of books". Many of those books are actually better than their films. I highly recommend them. You will be missing out if you don't and will be at a disadvantage around here. They aren't hard to read and will only take you a few days if that. I say that as someone who is a slow reader.
    Germanlady wrote:
    What you clearly say is - that gaga, Potter and Hunger isn't quality. Well, for some it is.
    Life with it and don't argue around your own wording and meaning. At least have the guts to stand by your word, hoppi.

You are STILL missing my point though.

At best we have agreed it is subjective, which is possibly the case. To some, Harry Potter is good.

I mean hey I never said it was bad, I merely said that popularity does not equal quality. THAT was my point.

Popular things CAN be of good quality, but they can also be of bad quality.
    And quality is often in in the eye of the beholder.
    hoppimike wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

You are STILL missing my point though.

At best we have agreed it is subjective, which is possibly the case. To some, Harry Potter is good.

I mean hey I never said it was bad, I merely said that popularity does not equal quality. THAT was my point.

Popular things CAN be of good quality, but they can also be of bad quality.

Missing the point is, that you put them into the race as clearly being the height of bad (otherwise you wouldn't have chosen them). Well, in YOUR mind, but certainly and obviously not in many other peoples minds - so just don't put your opinion stamp on stuff and make it general. That's all - there is no missed point. Just say, what YOU dislike and be done. Let everybody else decide for themselves.
    edited February 2013 Posts: 290
    SaintMark wrote:
    And quality is often in in the eye of the beholder.

100% agree, for most aspects of quality. Some may be more objective than others though... I would imagine. I mean, for example bad acting or a tired storyline are pretty much always seen as negative qualities (for argument's sake) but I suppose someone might argue that to them they are not serious or not very significant.
    Germanlady wrote:
    Missing the point is, that you put them into the race as clearly being the height of bad (otherwise you wouldn't have chosen them). Well, in YOUR mind, but certainly and obviously not in many other peoples minds - so just don't put your opinion stamp on stuff and make it general. That's all - there is no missed point. Just say, what YOU dislike and be done. Let everybody else decide for themselves.

I don't think my opinion of Harry Potter or Lady Gaga is particularly relevant :)

I'm sorry if using them as examples is an issue, but the key point regarding them is that they are POLARIZING, not that they are bad.

Read yourself, hon. Does this shout bad or polarizing?
    Like I said, don't start watering down your own words.
    Germanlady wrote:

haha fair play. Ultimately though who really cared what my opinion is of those things in this context (a Bond forum)... I kinda assumed no-one else would like them either xD

But if you do it's all cool... no need to take it so personally O.O
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Harry Potter used to be good, until Yates got his hands on them and made them teen hormone dramas. :-L
    hoppimike wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

haha fair play. Ultimately though who really cared what my opinion is of those things in this context (a Bond forum)... I kinda assumed no-one else would like them either xD

She wasn't taking it personally. She didn't say if she liked any of them or not, and that wasn't her point, anyway. You keep changing you own line (these are popular but bad... no, didn't say they're bad just polarizing... actually, assumed no-one else would like them either), but apparently you don't understand her comments on that, or on your take on popular, but bad stuff. ;)
    Tuulia wrote:
    hoppimike wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

She wasn't taking it personally. She didn't say if she liked any of them or not, and that wasn't her point, anyway. You keep changing you own line (these are popular but bad... no, didn't say they're bad just polarizing... actually, assumed no-one else would like them either), but apparently you don't understand her comments on that, or on your take on popular, but bad stuff. ;)

I think hoppimike sounds like a crazy, mixed up kid, not sure what he likes..... ;)
    Honestly I couldn't possibly imagine having all 25 Bond films well within my reach and not spend hundreds of hours watching them several times in a row. ;-) As I kid I found myself fortunate enough to have

a) a VCR and plenty of empty tapes
    b) a TV station kind enough to broadcast almost all the Bond films with 7 day intervals between them
    c) plenty of time to spend in front of our TV

Thus, I watched every freshly taped Bond film again and again for a whole week, until I could move on to the next. Being able to quote tens and tens of lines from a film meant I had reached 'that' point where I had acquainted myself with the film enough to proceed to the next. ;-)

Truly, my days as a 12, 13 and 14 years old were pretty much loaded with Bond... :-)
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Honestly I couldn't possibly imagine having all 25 Bond films well within my reach and not spend hundreds of hours watching them several times in a row. ;-) As I kid I found myself fortunate enough to have

b) a TV station kind enough to broadcast almost all the Bond films with 7 day intervals between them

Thus, I watched every freshly taped Bond film again and again for a whole week, until I could move on to the next. Being able to quote tens and tens of lines from a film meant I had reached 'that' point where I had acquainted myself with the film enough to proceed to the next. ;-)

Truly, my days as a 12, 13 and 14 years old were pretty much loaded with Bond... :-)

haha, yeah it's a cool series :)

Something very captivating about the style it has! If you cut it it would bleed pure charisma lol

That's also why I loved (some of) the games so much. They felt like a whole different world to CoD and all that stuff. Stylish, sleek and fun to play!
    hoppimike wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

haha, yeah it's a cool series :)

Something very captivating about the style it has! If you cut it it would bleed pure charisma lol

That's also why I loved (some of) the games so much. They felt like a whole different world to CoD and all that stuff. Stylish, sleek and fun to play!

And yet you still haven't seen most of the Bond films yet?

He sounds like he is around 16, so he might not have had the time ;)
    Germanlady wrote:
    He sounds like he is around 16, so he might not have had the time ;)

Come now, a 16 year old has two things in life, one of these I shall gladly omit from our sober daytime discussions and one of those involving being wildly into Star Wars, horror, Bond, ... ;-)
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    DarthDimi wrote:

I have precisely the same story except in my case the TV station broadcast one Bond film a month, give or take, I (or better, my parents) still own the tapes :D By the time GE was released, when I was 12, I have already seen all the previous ones several times and was fluent in "Bond". I must have started watching them in my mother's and grandfather's lap, I can't believe how lucky I was.