SKYFALL: FANS' REACTIONS - GUARANTEED SPOILERS

Comments

RC7 wrote:
    Too many people on the defensive and I don't know why. No one here made the bloody film so why so protective?
    Not at all. It's just that I personally didn't have a problem with the locations in SF. I usually find far more annoying things in Bond films - OTT moments, silly gadgets, naff one-liners, poor scripts, bad CGI.
    Thankfully SF had none of this.
    Okay, can you please explain why you think the script was so excellent? You didn't mind the complete absence of logic? I'm really struggling to understand why the script is so good. But I can try.
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote:

And on top of that, I didn't even know Craig wasn't in Shanghai and Macao, so your argument falls apart.

That's cool, my argument was that it would have been more authentic to shoot on location. Guess I'm wrong. Nothing says authentic like a backlot.
    Zekidk wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Too many people on the defensive and I don't know why. No one here made the bloody film so why so protective?
    Not at all. It's just that I personally didn't have a problem with the locations in SF. I usually find far more annoying things in Bond films - OTT moments, silly gadgets, naff one-liners, poor scripts, bad CGI.
    Okay, can you please explain why you think the script was so excellent? You didn't mind the complete absence of logic? I'm really struggling to understand why the script is so good. But I can try.
    I think this image will say it far better than I can......
    6a00e5505fc4968834010536e09336970b-800wi

• edited November 2012 Posts: 3,279
    RC7 wrote:

That's cool, my argument was that it would have been more authentic to shoot on location. Guess I'm wrong. Nothing says authentic like a backlot.
    You're not wrong, you just judge things in films differently to what I do. As long as I thought Craig was in Shanghai, then there are no problems. Stick a back projection screen behind him, then I might have an issue......

• edited November 2012 Posts: 11,189
    A friend of mine (a non-Bond fan btw) said the film was 6/10 at best and said it "lacked depth". When I said I loved it he said "you just love it because its Bond". Another said it was "too cheesey" (my response to her was "you need to see some of the others")

Thought I'd share it. I thought it was great but not everyone (Bond fans or not) did.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    A friend of mine (a non-Bond fan btw) said the film was 6/10 at best and said it "lacked depth". When I said I loved it he said "you just love it because its Bond". Another said it was "too cheesey" (my response to her was "you need to see some of the others")

Thought I'd share it. I thought it was great but not everyone (Bond fans or not) did.

Wow! SF cheesy?? Stick on MR for her then...... :))
    Zekidk wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

You don't like Skyfall. Others do. This argument could go on for another 100 pages and still no one would agree. Perhaps best to let this one go?
    BAIN123 wrote:

'lacked depth' made me laugh. Probably one of the deeper Bond films. Oh well, some people just don't get it.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 3,169
    Volante wrote:
    Zekidk wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

You don't like Skyfall. Others do. This argument could go on for another 100 pages and still no one would agree. Perhaps best to let this one go?
    WHAT?!?!?

Why do you think that I asked about the script? Why? And why do you think that I wrote "But I can try"? Why?

So I could criticize it? Or so that I can try to understand what other people find so great about it?

But my question was left unanswered by the same guy who's more passionate about criticizing other fans that don't share his view than answering questions about his take on the movie we are suppose to discuss.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Volante wrote:
    'lacked depth' made me laugh. Probably one of the deeper Bond films. Oh well, some people just don't get it.

He said it was just Bond at a big house and an excuse for a major action finale. My response was that they featured the names of Bond's parents - something never touched on in the films before.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 774
    Zekidk wrote:
    Volante wrote:
    Zekidk wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

WHAT?!?!?

Why do you think that I asked about the script? Why? And why do you think that I wrote "But I can try"? Why?

So I could criticize it? Or so that I can try to understand what other people find so great about it?

But my question was left unanswered by the same guy who's more passionate about criticizing other fans that don't share his view than answering questions about his take on the movie we are suppose to discuss.

Please, don't think that I'm trying to stifle your discussion or shut you down, I apologise if it came across that way. It's just that you don't like the script and I don't see your opinions on that changing any more than my opinions or jetsetwilly's would change, but I do see a big argument coming out of it ending in personal attacks (something I like to avoid and that has really annoyed me on these boards lately). Exactly how every other 'I don't like Skyfall' vs 'I do like Skyfall' discussion has ended.
    Volante wrote:
    Zekidk wrote:
    Volante wrote:
    Zekidk wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

WHAT?!?!?

Please, don't think that I'm trying to stifle your discussion or shut you down, I apologise if it came across that way. It's just that you don't like the script and I don't see your opinions on that changing.
    Again: Why do you think that I ask the true believers specifically about SF? Really... I want to like it. But by avoiding questions like that, you are not really giving me a chance, are you?

And yes... arguments should be met with counterarguments, not with bashing your opponent and tell them to buzz off and "go watch DAD"
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 774
    Zekidk wrote:
    Volante wrote:
    Zekidk wrote:
    Volante wrote:
    Zekidk wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

WHAT?!?!?

Please, don't think that I'm trying to stifle your discussion or shut you down, I apologise if it came across that way. It's just that you don't like the script and I don't see your opinions on that changing.
    Again: Why do you think that I ask the true believers specifically about SF? Really... I want to like it. But by avoiding questions like that, you are not really giving me a chance, are you?

And yes... arguments should be met with counterarguments, not with bashing your opponent and tell them to buzz off and "go watch DAD"

I don't know and don't really care why you asked it, all I saw was an argument which would inevitably denigrate into personal attacks and so I chose to politely not enter that argument. Which is unfortunately what has happened without me even answering your question.

I resent the implication that I would personally attack you or your tastes, that's something that annoys me on these boards and was something that I was trying to avoid here. If you re-read earlier posts I think you'll find that I was not the person telling you to "go watch DAD", nor would I.
  • Zekidk wrote:
    Volante wrote:
    Zekidk wrote:
    Volante wrote:
    Zekidk wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

WHAT?!?!?

Z, I'll be happy to debate SF with you. Without bashing or telling you to go watch DAD.

Liked your Dominic "I can try" Greene reference, that made me laugh.
    Volante wrote:
    If you re-read earlier posts I think you'll find that I was not the person telling you to "go watch DAD", nor would I.
    I know. I wasn't referring to you.

@SirHenryLeeChaChing

Feel free to tell me why you think that the SF-script is great. I promise, I will not go into a debate, and just listen. Maybe just pose a couple of further questions.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 3,494
    Well, I don't exactly think that the SF script was thoroughly great. There are things I didn't like such as the too early ending of Severine and the "rust angle" that carried on too long. But honestly, when I read some of the criticisms regarding supposed plot holes I think that some are easily explained IF one wants to like the film. I stood up here and challenged DTK to a debate and that's what I am giving you the opportunity to do. One topic at a time. He didn't have the guyones and kept skipping like a worn needle on an old piece of vinyl.

Starting with locations, all they needed was the external shots of Shanghai to make it work and it was incredible. Craig being there would not have made it any more authentic. The Macao entrance was at night, again, it was an interior piece and who can tell it wasn't unless you are a native? Hashima Island was brilliantly recreated and London and Scotland (and Turkey) speak for themselves.

Lack of authenticity is CGI. Very little of that here.
    Well, I don't exactly think that the SF script was thoroughly great. There are things I didn't like such as the too early ending of Severine and the "rust angle" that carried on too long.
    "Rust angle"? What exactly do you mean?
    I stood up here and challenged DTK to a debate and that's what I am giving you the opportunity to do.
    Oh. A challenge. Hmm... I was kind of just getting prepared to listen and not counterargue, but okay, let's get it on!
    Starting with locations, all they needed was the external shots of Shanghai to make it work and it was incredible. Craig being there would not have made it any more authentic.
    They didn't have to go to China, Macao or Scotland because there were no need to. The script didn't call for it to make it look real. I understand that. But for me it just matters how they choose to deal with the locations they are choosing. And this is something that the Mission Impossible franchise does a lot better than the current Bond-franchise.
    MI3 had Hunt in Shanghai. So what did they do? Created a wonderful setpiece using the skyscrapers AND a carchase on the Shanghai streets. Everything on location. And Tom Cruise was in fact hanging from that tall building in Dubai in MI4. They could easily have chosen to film the whole thing in a studio set and used a CGI-background.

That's going the extra mile.

For SF we get some establising shots of Shanghai that took one day to shoot because "Bond has to travel to exotic locations" as Mendes put it, and then they shot the rest at Pinewood. But luckily on location in Turkey, where they spent three months shooting a 10 minute segment for the PCS. Several days inside the bazaar. I have been there. A wonderful place. It''s huge. Plenty of opportunites for an action movie. But what do they give us? Exactly five (!) seconds of Bond racing after Patrice. In comparison 1/4 of the entire movie, around 35 minutes in total, 2100 seconds, takes place at and around MI6. That's 420 times as much as the part that many were raving about in pre-production: the infamous chase inside the bazaar.

But that's what you get when hiring a dramadirector who wants to keep non-dialogue scenes at a minimum, I guess.
    The Macao entrance was at night, again, it was an interior piece and who can tell it wasn't unless you are a native? Hashima Island was brilliantly recreated and London and Scotland (and Turkey) speak for themselves.
    Lack of authenticity is CGI. Very little of that here.
    CGI or doubling. Makes no difference to me, really. Both fake, although I probably prefer doubling.

But yes... "who can tell", right? So if they come up with really good CGI that looks 100% identical to the real place, they could just shoot the whole movie using a green screen, and save a lot of money, right? Because as long as no one can tell, right?

I look forward to reading your response... tomorrow!
    Zekidk wrote:
    WHAT?!?!?

I wrote another thread about 10 Fleminesque moments in SF. Its on here somewhere. That pretty much sums up why I love the film, but in terms of answering your direct question about the script itself, I don't have much more to say on the subject than what has already been said, but here goes -

On first viewing, I never noticed any plot holes at all, and never realised Craig was actually never on location. There again, I never realised Connery was never on location in GF either. Does this make me ignorant and stupid about movies? Fine, if that's what conclusion you want to draw from this.

With regards the script itself, it was the first Bond film I have seen in a long time which didn't contain any corny, cringey dialogue, and the characters themselves seemed believable human beings, with natural dialogue conversation rather than `I think I got the thrust of it' type exchanges.

Since watching the movie, certain plot holes have been brought to my attention after reading them here and other forums, but I have to say, I was too busy enjoying myself in the cinema way too much, taking pleasure in Craig's characterisation, the scenes, the tension, to actually question the background plot itself. I very rarely actually understood many of the old plots in Bond movies (TLD used to confuse the hell out of me, but I still loved the film).

What I found so refreshing about SF is that the plot was actually uncomplicated and straightforward, more focused on characters motives to drive the plot along, which is what I prefer.

My favourite moments were the quieter scenes - Bond staring at a painting in the gallery and his exchange with Q, drinking a beer on the beach, Bond and M quietly sharing a moment together in Scotland, looking down at Skyfall lodge, Bond suddenly looking round for help when a gun is stuck in his hand and told to shoot the glass off Severine's head, Bond's exchange with M in the old Aston Martin. These moments stick in my mind far more than questioning what Mallory and Q were doing while Bond was driving off to Scotland with M, or how Silva managed to fly a helicopter up to Skyfall lodge without getting arrested along the way.

I read many of the Fleming novels and if I thought long and hard about them, they contain many plot holes. Does it take any enjoyment away from reading them? Hell no! I'm too busy enjoying reading what Bond is about to eat in a restaurant, or what he is about to wear after his ice cold shower, or his fear of flying, than the background plot which moves the story along.

I enjoy the view along the journey, rather than the logistics of the journey itself if that makes any sense.

Hopefully you will accept this as a final answer and move on, because I am getting the impression you are starting to bore everyone on here now with your constant probing and questioning of anyone who likes SF. Just accept fans liked it, including the script with all its glaringly obvious plot holes to you, and move on.

• We knew before time we would not have a 100 per cent flawless, immaculate Bond release, such a thing can't exist, although they did come close with From Russia With Love, but what they gave us, was a damn fine and exciting adventure, with lots to get involved in even if there was a number of errors along the way or things that didn't quite add up, but doesn't every Bond film, or any movie for that matter, include them ?

Not too much product placement, humor, or theatrics, just Craig doing another fine performance and I say it was an overall success, fitting of the half century celebrations
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 1,310
    All these talk of plot holes, and I still don't get it. The only true plot hole for me how Bond survived his sky fall from the train (the mystery sits perfectly well with me). If you wanna throw in the set of coincidences of Silva's escape then more power to you.

You wanna talk plot holes, illogic and sloppy writing? Let's talk QOS, and let's talk on another thread.
  • RC7RC7
    We knew before time we would not have a 100 per cent flawless, immaculate Bond release, such a thing can't exist.

Did we? I didn't. After 4 years and the talk from all quarters about this amazing script, I was expecting a little more if I'm honest. The human story between Bond, M, Silva is fine. 3 great actors, one great theatre director - that bit was never going to go wrong.

However, for something 4 years in the making the plot mechanics were wafer thin in my opinion. Everything was too convenient and linear, masked by computer jargon and cyber crime nonsense. The bit where Bond tells Q to 'stop' when he sees Granborough Rd is complete bollocks. As an audience member this kind of psuedo-hacker stuff is a mystifying and cack- handed way of driving a plot from A to B. I genuinely expected better. It could have been done with much more elegance.

I understand people will say 'oh that didn't bother me' because that's the way people seem to roll here. One rule for one film, one for another entirely. The other stock response is 'Bond never made sense' - Well a lot of talk is how this is head and shoulders above the rest so please don't use the old canon as a crutch in your arguments when it's convenient people.

As a final petty aside, I love the fact Goldfinger, a film very much disliked in this place is being used a reason to justify Skyfall's lack of location shooting. Any excuse eh?
    RC7 wrote:
    We knew before time we would not have a 100 per cent flawless, immaculate Bond release, such a thing can't exist.

Did we? I didn't. After 4 years and the talk from all quarters about this amazing script, I was expecting a little more if I'm honest. The human story between Bond, M, Silva is fine. 3 great actors, one great theatre director - that bit was never going to go wrong.

However, for something 4 years in the making the plot mechanics were wafer thin in my opinion. Everything was too convenient and linear, masked by computer jargon and cyber crime nonsense. The bit where Bond tells Q to 'stop' when he sees Granborough Rd is complete bollocks. As an audience member this kind of psuedo-hacker stuff is a mystifying and cack- handed way of driving a plot from A to B. I genuinely expected better. It could have been done with much more elegance.

I understand people will say 'oh that didn't bother me' because that's the way people seem to roll here. One rule for one film, one for another entirely. The other stock response is 'Bond never made sense' - Well a lot of talk is how this is head and shoulders above the rest so please don't use the old canon as a crutch in your arguments when it's convenient people.

As a final petty aside, I love the fact Goldfinger, a film very much disliked in this place is being used a reason to justify Skyfall's lack of location shooting. Any excuse eh?
    If SF had naff one-liners, cringeworthy dialogue, silly OTT moments and ridiculous gadgets, pathetic CGI, and more of the same crap we got in Brozza's 4 films, then I would have been slating the film - but again for these reasons and not the plot itself. The plot I can always overlook if the film has a sense of grounded reality to it in terms of the characters and dialogue.

Whenever I slate DAD the things I always hate about that movie is the fact Brozza stops his heart beating then beats up all the baddies, that there are silly flying lasers, the invisible car, the parasurfing, etc.

One of the reasons I didn't like QoS as much was because of the stupid freefall scene, and the action was badly edited and too rushed. The film didn't pause for quieter moments, and started to feel more like a Brozza film again with its unrealism. Bond suddenly became superhuman again. But again, this has nothing to do with the plot itself.

It's scenes rather than plot that are more important to me.

And for your info regarding GF, its one of my favourite Bond films, so no excuses from me on that score.

• RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote:

If SF had naff one-liners, cringeworthy dialogue, silly OTT moments and ridiculous gadgets, pathetic CGI, and more of the same crap we got in Brozza's 4 films, then I would have been slating the film - but again for these reasons and not the plot itself. The plot I can always overlook if the film has a sense of grounded reality to it in terms of the characters and dialogue.

Whenever I slate DAD the things I always hate about that movie is the fact Brozza stops his heart beating then beats up all the baddies, that there are silly flying lasers, the invisible car, the parasurfing, etc.

It's scenes rather than plot that are more important to me.

And for your info regarding GF, its one of my favourite Bond films, so no excuses from me on that score.

So you're basically judging a film on what it avoided putting in rather than what it did? All that stuff went out with CR which only leads me to deduce you agree that the plot was sub-par. Sorry after 4 years the plot should have been balls to wall awesome.
    @jetsetwilly.

Thank you for spending time answering my question about the script. Your reply is read and understood. As I promised I won't go into a further debate about the script with you. Like you said: We've already been there.

But this is the second time in two days that you request for me to "move on." I take this as a compliment. But sorry mate, ain't gonna happen! Guess you just have to learn to accept my presence here. And yes... I accept that most fans like it, no matter what you say. I haven't criticized anyone who love it. Not once.
    RC7 wrote:
    I understand people will say 'oh that didn't bother me' because that's the way people seem to roll here. One rule for one film, one for another entirely. The other stock response is 'Bond never made sense'
    Personally, I accept and look at the older movies as set in a world somewhere between reality and fantasy. Like you pointed out, this movie tries to be very realistic (Mendes said he wanted to do a "serious" Bond movie), including the way it portrays Bond. So, unlike most of the earlier Bond movies which didn't promise a "great and serious script" my implausibility tolerance factor was reduced and as a result I found it fell short being truly realistic on multiple counts. So of course I'm disappointed.

SF has plenty of good things going for it.Great acting, the cinematography, intelligent cross-editing. But the script - the most important part of a "serious" movie - ain't it.
    RC7 wrote:
    So you're basically judging a film on what it avoided putting in rather than what it did? All that stuff went out with CR which only leads me to deduce you agree that the plot was sub-par. Sorry after 4 years the plot should have been balls to wall awesome.
    I didn't have any issues with the plot whatsoever, but you already know that by now, don't you. No need to repeat myself.

• RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote:
    I didn't have any issues with the plot whatsoever, but you already know that by now, don't you. No need to repeat myself.

To be honest I didn't know. I haven't seen any comments from you about why the plot is good, just that it doesn't really matter to you.
    RC7 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

To be honest I didn't know. I haven't seen any comments from you about why the plot is good, just that it doesn't really matter to you.
    If you read a couple of posts up, I outline what I like about the SF script, and it is more around the dialogue and scenes, rather than the plot itself, which has never been a major concern for me in any Bond movie, even the poor ones.

How about, they weren't able to go on location with a huge crew etc, because MGM just got out of bankruptsy. I would think and expect the FANS to have an understanding for that. But, of course, it comes in too handy, if you want to be negative about the film.

IMO, it was very well done and nobody, wo hadn't followed the filming process would guess. So - that implies, the job is well done.

@Willy, you cannot put this discussion to rest, unless you stop replying. They will stamp their feet until the next film comes out... ;)
    Germanlady wrote:

@Willy, you cannot put this discussion to rest, unless you stop replying. They will stamp their feet until the next film comes out... ;)
    I think you are right GL. This is starting to become very exhausting.......

• RC7RC7
    Germanlady wrote:
    How about, they weren't able to go on location with a huge crew etc, because MGM just got out of bankruptsy. I would think and expect the FANS to have an understanding for that. But, of course, it comes in too handy, if you want to be negative about the film.

IMO, it was very well done and nobody, wo hadn't followed the filming process would guess. So - that implies, the job is well done.

Go back to your Daniel Craig forum. No one is stamping their feet here at all. As I've had to keep reaffirming there are lots of things I really loved about Skyfall. I'd much rather talk about the things I didn't, discuss how they could be addressed next time and there you have it. Do you think when they develop Bond 24 more time will be spent on positives or negatives of Skyfall? You say well done guys we got that right, pat yourself on the back. Now, where can we improve? Cue interesting discussions. God I pity some of you, I really do, especially those like you @Germanlady. You offer nothing other than pro-Craig rhetoric. Boring.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 6,601
    Instead of inslting me, you could answer to the fact, that money might have been the reason of shooting in PW, SINCE this is soo important to you. And I am sorry to bore you, but then again, many are bored by you, too, ;)

..and did I get this right? You are actually saying, that us discussing, what might not be perfect, will influence the producers take on the next film? Oh please...talking about illusion.

Just one tiny note, that its not the case - everybody seemed to hate M being in the last two films so much. What did they do? They made her the main Bond girl LOL