SKYFALL: FANS' REACTIONS - GUARANTEED SPOILERS

Comments

She doesn't trust him to complete his job and orders the idiotic shot. It makes ZERO sense. Your best agent is engaging the target and you order a pot shot. Silva is not sowing seeds of doubt. He is telling thetruth. She is an incompetent back stabbing old bat. If you like that in your M and I can see why it might appeal, then your welcome to it. Bon nuit.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 6,601
    Oh dear...maybe you could give way to the idea, that even though, he didn't pass his tests, she send him, trusting him to get the job done. How about that?

I can answer that myself - nothing will make you change your opinions...throwing logic at us, but not giving in to other peoples logic. Sad really...negativity must be your lifes energy...

If you could, you would happily make everybody, EVERYBODY, who dares to enjoy the film feel as miserable about it, as you are.

I am off your posts, as you might be happy to hear. Its just tiring and so senseless. Bye...
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I suppose she saw it as the best way to eliminate a potential threat, If that meant shooting Bond then so be it. It wasn't a case of 'trust', rather a case of Bond being expendable (we all know that he is).

I still don't know how he could have survived both the hit and that fall off the bridge though.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I suppose she saw it as the best way to eliminate a potential threat, If that meant shooting Bond then so be it. It wasn't a case of 'trust', rather a case of Bond being expendable (we all know that he is).

I still don't know how he could have survived both the hit and that fall off the bridge though.

Its Bond and as this, exactly what you will find in every of those 23 films - the impossible. Lets not forget in all the realism, its still the world of fantasy. I have often heard them saying in interviews, they can not go down this or that road, because its Bond...

Bond films never explained themselves through logic on every level. Bond is pure entertainment and as such (and remember all the other films like Batman etc) will go for excitement and jaw dropping action first. I think, the world around us is realistic enough.
    I do like the opening sequence though. I remeber thinking during the chase "this is great".
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I do like the opening sequence though. I remeber thinking during the chase "this is great".

Then don't stop liking it, just because someone tries to put it and everything else down and masks it as opinion.

• Fleming said Bond is beyond the probable but not the possible.as one stuntman said from the Bond team, reality stretched.
    GL is totally wrong. We have never had such an unconvincing escape scenario. In the past they would have at least credited the audience with an explanation of how Bond escapes from the bottom of the river. Eve perhaps fishes him out half dead to redeem herself. In the final scenes he again miraculously escapes from the depths of a loch with no explanation. Obviously its a new top secret super power he's developed. Or it could but utterly lazy and bad plotting. Sorry but if people are prepared to accept this garbage that treats the audience like complete idiots then frankly there isn't much of a discussion to be had. In almost every scene I was unable to explain why key characters behaved the way they did. Almost everyone on here has said the Severine character's seduction and actions are totally unconvincing. And people claim Roger was not convincing with the ladies! - it is a new low in incoherency and inconsistency.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited November 2012 Posts: 3,497
    GL is not "totally wrong", she can express her opinion in a polite & truthful manner.

You remind of those people who complained that Bond was no longer Bond in CR because he drove a Ford.

And if you call this film a new low in incoherency & inconsistency you clearly haven't seen all the other Bonds or too many other movies.
    JamesCraig wrote:
    GL is not "totally wrong", she can express her opinion in a polite & truthful manner.

You remind of those people who complained that Bond was no longer Bond in CR because he drove a Ford.

And if you call this film a new low in incoherency & inconsistency you clearly haven't seen all the other Bonds or too many other movies.

Not from where I am standing she doesn't.

I'm betting you already had a dislike for this film before you'd seen it.
    The plot is riddled with inconsistencies and unexplained or utterly irrational behaviour by almost every character. Show me where else in the series Bond escapes without ANY explanation?
    DAF when Shady Tee opens the coffin that had only been burning away SECONDS earlier. How did he know bond was there? How did he turn the furnace off so quickly? How did he notburn his hands?

Tb. How did the jet pack get there?
    Getafix wrote:
    The plot is riddled with inconsistencies and unexplained or utterly irrational behaviour by almost every character. Show me where else in the series Bond escapes without ANY explanation?

Jesus Christ, this is becoming hilarious.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 11,425
    BAIN123 wrote:
    DAF when Shady Tee opens the coffin that had only been burning away SECONDS earlier. How did he know bond was there? How did he turn the furnace off so quickly? How did he notburn his hands?

Tb. How did the jet pack get there?

You are giving explanations for how Bond escaped. The equivalent scenario in DAF would be Bond appearing back in Vegas with no explanation of how he got out of the coffin.

Obviously he put the jet pack there ready for his escape. Doesn't he have an accomplice in that scene waiting in the car?
    I've made my point.

Carry on, because it'll only get worse.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 11,425
    JamesCraig wrote:
    I've made my point.

Carry on, because it'll only get worse.

You made a point? I must have missed it.
  • I think he got the point.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Getafix' logic at this point is as useless and as pointless as Vargas. It's not worth questioning, it's just...there.
  • Have signed it just to say, well done Getafix. He's on a hiding to nothing, though.

Much of the plot of Skyfall is wholly irrational. It seems you guys don't like it in spite of that, but because of that. If this is part of a theme, I can confidently predict that Mitt Romney will be US President this time tomorrow. Start pointing out the plotholes and you're a real naysayer, put him in the stocks!

Bond is accidentally shot, he falls off a massive bridge, we see him dead in the water (who knows, a reference to how QoS left his movie status?) And all we get is some vague reference later to how the shot bruised his ribs or something.

But fair's fair. Like the Virgin Birth, if you can buy that, then you can buy the rest of it, no problem. If that's alright with you, then why the outcry over the Beach Boys in A View to A Kill? The Big Top at the end of the MR pts? Just deal with it.

I agree with Getafix, the Moore films set out their stall as a big silly romp, enlivened by some surprisingly serious moments. Craig's Bond sets out his stall as a serious, gritty film with a down-to-earth hero - but we're expect to cut it the same slack, if not more, in terms of credibility. The scene where he just ambles up to the villain's lair with a single gun, on the very boat owned by one of his sex slaves, to have a heart to heart! Yeah, good luck with that. It's straight out of The Man With The Golden Gun, but at least that was a deliberately hokey film.

I could go on, but I agreed with The Guardian review, so that makes me scum.

• yes and his girl can you kill him for me very MWTGG
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I imagine the scene where Bond swims to the surface of the loch was maybe edited out because of the film's length. We have to assume he swam to the surface. It isn't that silly.

When he survives a fall to the river with a bullet in him , that is less plausable, but then we hear stories of people surviving falls from aeroplanes, so we can't dismiss it as impossible.

Alec surviving his fall from the satalite dish is far more proposterous.
  • cold water shock would have probably killed him
  • Nor do we see him even shivering or banging his arms together when getting out of the water. Earlier, we see M and her new pal hurrying across waving a frickin' torch around! Inconspicuous. He may be an idiot, but she should know better.

Bond doesn't want to hurry back from his shooting, so leaves the gal to think she's offed a prime secret agent! And may be responsible in part for M's tarnished reputation.

Thing is, because Skyfall pitches itself as a gritty, real film I cannot let this stuff slide, whereas the lighter, fun movies I'm prepared to cut some slack. From the opening, where Bond leaves a fellow agent to die to obey his boss (he's a jobsworth then) it says, we're giving you a grim, serious Bond. Fine, so I'm going to be in a grim, serious mood. Which means I'm gonna call you out for any rubbish flung back at me.

But that's how it is. FYEO didn't work for me, because again, it pitches itself as a more serious film, but it doesn't hold up on those terms, so I'm more damning of it than I am of Moonraker. I am taking these films on their own terms.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    craigrules wrote:
    cold water shock would have probably killed him

'Probably?' Exactly. People have survived plunging over Niagra Falls. Not many, but some.
    I understand the point made by @Getafix, that we don't see how Bond escapes from these life threatening situations, but in the context of a long film they lose a certain amount of significance.
    Germanlady wrote:
    Its Bond and as this, exactly what you will find in every one of those 23 films - the impossible. Lets not forget in all the realism, its still the world of fantasy. I have often heard them saying in interviews, they can not go down this or that road, because its Bond...

Bond films never explained themselves through logic on every level. Bond is pure entertainment and as such (and remember all the other films like Batman etc) will go for excitement and jaw dropping action first. I think, the world around us is realistic enough.

Can't add to that.
  • Well okay, but then by rationale, it's just not possible to have an implausible moment in a Bond film. Anything goes.

You could have Jaws breaking his ripcord in the MR pts, and we wouldn't need to see him fall into the safety net, because - stupid! - you hear of people surviving a failed parachute jump occasionally, and that's obviously what happened there.

Don't bother with Bond's Union Jack parachute in the other pts as he skis off a cliff. He just shows up after the fall, what the hell. No explanation necessary.

But this is far from the only daft plot point in the film, it's just one of many, from beginning to end.
  • RC7RC7
    Thing is, because Skyfall pitches itself as a gritty, real film I cannot let this stuff slide.quote]

Does it pitch itself as this? QoS did, SF, not so sure. I don't think Silva was ever meant to be taken too seriously, nor a DB5 with an apparent ejector seat.
  • I forgive you RC7!

Well, if you can't take the villain in a Craig film seriously... as for the Aston Martin, well I agree, it's plain daft. But that is quite late in the film, I mean it may as well be The Cannonball Run, having that there.

The brief of Craig's Bond is that, imo, he's a more realistic portrayal than Brosnan and Moore. Am I wrong here? Did I not get the memo?

Truthfully, it's a long way from CR. But in fairness, Connery's YOLT was a long way from Dr No. Credibility in SF is sort of on a par with TWINE, or LALD, actually less so imo.
    YOLT has not the same credibility in comparison to Dr No as SF has in comparison to CR. Over time, TWINE has become better than GE for me.

And the worst for Connery and Brosnan still had to come.
  • RC7RC7
    The brief of Craig's Bond is that, imo, he's a more realistic portrayal than Brosnan and Moore. Am I wrong here? Did I not get the memo?

This is true, I think with SF they've tried to infer that it has more traditional elements not synonymous with the craig era - some people will think it works and others not. I myself raised the question of the DB5's validity. It's an ejoyable moment but totally out of step with what you would expect to see, so I can see both sides.