Last graphic novel, comic book, manga you read

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I bought myself another couple of Carl Barks collections, featuring classics like "A Christmas for Shacktown" and "Christmas on Bear Mountain" (where Scrooge is introduced.) A bit expensive, but totally worth it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    SAGA
    by Brian K. Vaughan

17161268.jpg

Saga is an ongoing comic book series, so far collected in 4 trade paperbacks, that I can recommend to everyone who enjoys a weird cocktail of fantasy and subversive humour. The story is told from the logic of an alien world and so it's practically impossible to stay ahead of the writers. Instead, almost every page brings the promise of some really big surprise simply because we don't understand most of the rules. The drawings are amazing, full of strange ideas and nice colours.

With a strong appetite for the weird, Saga is a deliciously bizarre experience, and that makes it all the more fun!

RobotToilet.jpg
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    RobotToilet.jpg

Is his skin the exact same color as his pants, or is he taking a dump with his pants pulled up?
    Don't worry, he's got his pants down. ;-)
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    The last one I read from cover to cover was Batman: Killing Joke. Currently I'm in the middle of The Star Wars. The story is based off the original plot and concept art for Star Wars. Pretty decent so far but I much prefer what we got with A New Hope. If you're a fan of sci-fi you should check it out.
    22824.jpg
    The-Star-Wars.jpg
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I read the first issue but it did not catch my interest. Clearly, A New Hope was the better product here.
    I bought The Star Wars too, and I agree A New Hope is infinitely better. There's a reason they released what they released, lol

It actually wasn't bad, and it's always interesting to get a glimpse of what might have been, but the more I read, the more I found myself skimming over until ultimately I was just looking at the artwork. As @agent007391 pointed out, it's not terribly interesting.
    Plus I couldn't get past lizard Han Solo :-L
    HELLBOY:SEED OF DESTRUCTION By Mike Mignola/John Byrne

As much as I love the films, I must say this is head and shoulders above them, artistically and intellectually. I will definitely try to get hold of more.
    THE PIXILATED PARROT and other stories by Carl Barks.

These 200+ pages long Fantagraphics books ruin me, but what can you do? Barks is my drug. One of the few that can really make me laugh.
    mbqQyF-D3PfUxwsiwhQe7rQ.jpg

Superman Earth One, Vol 3

I've really been digging this series (Batman too) but I don't know, I fell like this one lost a bit of steam.
    The whole point of the Earth One series, at least the way I looked at it, was to show a brand new take, modernizing a classic character for this generation, not bogged down by years and years of continuity and baggage.
    Vol 1 delivered. Superman is now a young man just starting out- he may even be as young as 21, though I'm not sure they outright say it; it just feels like he's way young. Vol 2 delivered more of the same, in a good way. (even though it did venture dangerously close to Twilight territory with that sparkly exo suit of his)

With Vol 3 though, it feels like they lost what made it different from any other Superman book. With all the time it takes between releases I was really looking forward to Vol 3 and I was left a bit underwhelmed. Superman's hooker BFF from Vol 2 returns, so I guess she's gonna be a recurring character now. Not a huge fan of her.
    Superman fights Zod- who's actually pretty bland, in both appearance and character. In Man of Steel, he was certainly the villain, but you could at least understand why he was doing what he was doing, but here he's just a bully.
    I kind of like what they did with Lex, who was teased in Vol 2. It's not one guy like we're used to, but rather a husband and wife with the same goals! And Lex is actually the nicer one of the two, which I thought was funny. This made it a bit fresh because in the end
    Lex is impaled and near death, placed into a medical coma until he can be saved, which leaves the wife, Alexandra to remain and be Superman's nemesis from now on

SO. Now we have a female Luthor, and Clark's best friend is his hot neighbor who hangs around his apartment with her boobs and midriff on full display. Everything else is all standard issue Superman.
    And another thing about the neighbor: I HATE the way she's written. It seems like whoever wrote her dialogue was a sad man who never had a girlfriend in high school. She's always lounging in Clark's apartment, and everything she says is all, 'Oh Clark you get me- that's so hot. YOU'RE hot. Hey you don't mind if I take my shirt off, do you?' There's just no way that this girl would have anything to do with Clark- especially the way he's depicted in these books (the shyness is cranked to the max compared to the usual Clark Kent, and he barely says a word, ever)

When it all boils down, there are really TWO things I like about Vol 3.
    1: I like what they did with the Lex Luthor character and
    2: I like the artist, and for this go around, he draws Superman with a little more BULK. In volume 1 & 2, Superman was thin- more like Spider-Man in a Supes costume.

So I guess we'll see where we go from here. At $25 a pop, I'll probably read Vol 4 before buying it, rather than the day one blind buy this one was.
    @Master_Dahark, I've been meaning to read that series. Now I'm not sure again because your review leaves me to conclude that it might not be worth it.
    Help me out, sir. :)
    Thank you, @Master_Dahark.
    I have ordered the trade paperbacks. :-)

What did you think of them?

Batman Earth One, Volume 2 came out recently. I feel like this will be more successful than the Superman series has been going. I'll be sure to post that review once I read it!

As for Volume 1, there wasn't much not to like! I LOVED what they did with Bullock. He could have easily been a whole new character, but I think it'll be more fun to see him downward spiral into the unhealthy alcoholic Bullock we're familiar with! I liked the character development with Gordon too-- as opposed to Year One for example, we're used to seeing Gordon prepared to do the right thing no matter what, but here we see a man who's already been beaten. It's not even depicted to make him out to be a coward either, but rather just a man who once had good intentions but is now exhausted and defeated. His only real concern is providing for his daughter. It takes the actions of Batman (and Bullock, oddly enough) to spring him back into shape and it's awesome when he does!
    Oh and Alfred.... damn, I love Alfred. This is the best depiction of him yet IMO! He's arguably more badass than Batman in this book!

I suppose I have mixed feelings about Batman's costume... it gradually gets updated throughout the book, but one thing remains: the eyes. Does it help to see Batman's eyes? Sure we see them in the movies, but it's also dark and shadowy.

Maybe if the eyeholes weren't so damn big, that would help

batman-earth-1-geoff-johns-dark-knight1.jpg

As it stands, it looks a little cartoony, and, well..... like cosplay.

But as a whole I love Batman Earth One. I'm anxious to read Vol 2. Did anyone here read it yet? I hear there's a surprise with Two-Face....

@Master_Dahark,

I've already read the first volume and must say I thoroughly enjoyed it! Great stuff. I love Clarke's inner monologue. It's fun to read the thoughts of such a 'god' going through almost pubescent agitations and frustrations.
    edited June 2015 Posts: 45,489
    Kingdom Come by Mark Waid and Alex Ross (1996)

Maybe the best Justice League story I have ever read, and a deserved winner of the Eisner Award.
    KC_chapterdivider_full.jpg
    @Thunderfinger I can sit back and read Kingdom Come any day!

Have you seen the fan made trailer?
    The acting is atrocious, lol- BUT, the costumes are outstanding and Danny and Margie, who play Superman and Wonder Woman are professional cosplayers I've followed for years now. Visually, it's real neat to look at!

Haha! @Master_Dahark, thanks that was pretty impressive. I have a neighbour and friend who looks just like the Selina Kyle of that album, and did you notice the subtle cameo of Krypto, the super Dog?
    THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN-the Omnibus edition.
    I own these two first League comics beforehand, and was actually looking for Century , which I did not find. So this one tempted me. Couldn t resist.
    1201342-loeg01.jpg
    /\ what a fabulous image!
    Superman: Birthright

DAREDEVIL:BORN AGAIN
    American issues 226-233 by Miller and Mazucchelli (1986/87) collected. One of the greatest Daredevil sagas ever. Loved the little nod to The Spirit.
    HOWARD THE DUCK-THE COMPLETE COLLECTION volume 1

Collects the first stories from 1974-1976. I have been wanting to read this since the late 70s, and finally I got hold of this wonderful book!
    edited July 2015 Posts: 45,489
    The first Action Comics issues, featuring Superman as he was intended.

He runs real fast, he leaps real high, no flying. He takes out wife beaters, military folks and gangsters, no super villains.

He threatens to break the neck of people or rip their hearts out. There are even a few kills on his part.

His powers is not due to a yellow sun, just that kryptonians are millions years ahead of us in their physical development.
    Announcement for all Danger Girl fans:

New series coming up, guys. danger girl: renegade

Hopefully this one will pick up where May Day left us hungry for more. I subscribed today.

https://media.archonia.com/images/samples/78/30/227830_s0.jpg
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I saw the announcement on J. Scott Cambell's facebook page.

11008600_10152811809872581_8151798405101281323_n.jpg?oh=ca9a42bd064b38b397fa63881bcd8015&oe=564B8FA5

It's going to fill in the backstory of Abbey. Consider me very excited for this (it is Danger Girl, afterall). ^:)^
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Now, I'm overtly excited!
    SANDMAN_PRELUDES AND NOCTURNES

Never read the earliest Sandman stories before. This is great stuff.
    HELLBOY-WAKE THE DEVIL

Another masterpiece by Mike Mignola with a glowing foreword by anothe comic book hero, Alan Moore. And hey, Kroenen is in Norway this time.
  • SANDMAN_PRELUDES AND NOCTURNES

Never read the earliest Sandman stories before. This is great stuff.

Sandman is (IMHO) required reading for anyone who appreciates quality storytelling in the graphic novel/comic book format.

Neil Gaiman at first wanted to resurrect the original DC Sandman , but was urged by his publisher to create his own character.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited August 2015 Posts: 9,020
    full.jpg

Spawn/Batman (1994) one of my favourites of all time, I read it once a year I guess.
    HELLBOY-THE CHAINED COFFIN and OTHERS

A collection featuring Mignola s own favourite, THE CORPSE.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    MMFR%20Nux%20Immortan%20Joe_555bc57ab7dce2.65940876.jpg

The fourth of this series came out here today, interesting stories, and co-written by George Miller. Very enjoyable!