Last graphic novel, comic book, manga you read

Comments

The first Michel Tanguy album, originally called "L Ecole des Aiglons" in 1961.

Charlier was a class A writer, you will know him from Blueberry and Barbe Rouge.

Uderzo a fantastic artist who could both do carricatures (Asterix) and realistic (this).

I agree a nice series of french comic, a am a big admirer of Blueberry and Barbe Rouge.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    French? I thought they were Belgian?
  • I believe Tintin was Belgian, but Asterix and Lt. Blueberry were French.
    I had to goooglle it. Charlier was Belgian, Uderzo French.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited November 2015 Posts: 6,816
    Tintin is Belgian indeed. We're very proud of that . :D

Another great Belgian comics I would advise people to read is "Blake and Mortimer".
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Best Belgian comic IMO is Largo Winch.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    I picked up Batman Vol. 1: The Court of Owls today. I was reading Batman: Dark Victory but I was having a hard time getting into. I'll come back to it late I guess.

614QFaigiAL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    @GoldenGun, when I was younger, I used to read the Clifton comics, which I believe are of Belgian origins, too. :)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I've been meaning to pick up Court of Owls, but just haven't gotten around to it. Would others recommend it?

I'd get it just to look at Greg Capullo's illustrations. He's a big artistic influence of mine and I adore his Batman work.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 15,423
    Speaking of comic books, I just have happened to finish reading the first story arc for Dynamite's The Man With No Name. Boy, but don't they know how to deliver an exceptional storyline for anything they publish?

The arc is consisting of six issues, as usual, and it's called Saints and Sinners.

THE MAN WITH NO NAME #001-006: SAINTS AND SINNERS

MWNN01CovReOrder.jpg

Thoroughly enjoyed it. The crew did an exceptional job and it felt like Sergio Leone's spirit was flying all over the projection of the whole delivery of the whole graphic both in appearance and narration.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    @ClarkDevlin, wauw that looks amazing!
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,679
    Gotham Central (2002 - 2006)
    by Ed Brubaker, Greg Rucka, Michael Lark

GC01-630x420.jpg

Gotham Central is the story of the Gotham police department and its many colourful characters. It is not the story of Batman. While Batman makes a few cameo appearances, we spend most time with Renee Montoya, a character created in 1992 for Batman: The Animated Series. Even the likes of Gordon and Bullock are hardly ever brought up. We do get to see some of the supervillains, including Mr. Freeze, Mad Hatter and Two-Face, but they too are not the focal points in this 40 issue series.

IMG_8483.png

Does that annoy you? Are you still coping with the bitter after-taste of the television series 'Gotham'? Let me tell you, this stuff is brilliant! The Gotham police usually functions only peripherally in a Batman story; now it's the other way around. We experience the darker side of Gotham City from the cops' point of view. The corruption, the inner struggles, the personal losses, ... this is the book that shows us the things we never stop to think about. How would you feel if you were a detective in Gotham, trying to play things by the book, yet the "Dark Knight" does whatever he wants? And how about those freaks, like Joker, targeting cops like yourself?

-OKTOpaY0wUmOnOAT27otCxWuOXlEvUHT7M_6MKwAX4lOHuB6p27IzgttiCATHEFZl6Aa-xGdOXccz_1YiSh69UPm-2PL008re1L_TPUvSndLoEKACzkG3HCNo2RlJptUw

Do you like police procedurals? This is the comic book version you want to read. And a very good one! After a few issues, you get to know the characters, you grow to like and love them. The writers have worked hard to give them all a story, personal conflicts and character traits. The level of detail is impressive. At first I kept looking for Batman. After a while, I forgot about the Bat. Only when the time is right are famous characters like Robin or Bullock thrown in for a specific reason. The authors know we are familiar with those characters and so they tell the story of other characters first and foremost. I applaud them for that. I applaud them even more for taking risks and bringing a lot of violence, death and risqué topics to the page.

13586095._SX540_.jpg

Not in the very least am I impressed with the graphics. The panels flow like shots from a film. Facial expressions and details in the background are a delight in and by themselves, just to look at!

gothamcentral_022_crispus.jpg

Despite great reviews, Gotham Central was eventually cancelled because the authors were moving on to other things. But the 40 issues we were left with, are some of the best stuff I've ever read, not just in the Batman series but in comics in general. Whether you're a Batman fan or not, if you can appreciate great story telling and wonderful graphics, this book is for you. The highest of recommends.
  • I've been meaning to pick up Court of Owls, but just haven't gotten around to it. Would others recommend it?
    I'd get it just to look at Greg Capullo's illustrations. He's a big artistic influence of mine and I adore his Batman work.
    Court of Owls is imo the best thing to come out of New 52 (if I understand correctly, they were brand new and not in old Batman comics).
    It kicked off the new series with a bang and brought whole new creepy levels to Gotham City's history.
    And I agree, the artwork is great!
    I haven't kept up as of late but I believe he drew the whole damn thing!
    The most recent book I read involved Joker wearing his own cut off face as a mask, lol.

I think currently Batman is dead and Gordon took over (?) That can't last...

But Court of Owls is a new classic- definitely give it a go!

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I've been meaning to pick up Court of Owls, but just haven't gotten around to it. Would others recommend it?
    Court of Owls is imo the best thing to come out of New 52 (if I understand correctly, they were brand new and not in old Batman comics).
    It kicked off the new series with a bang and brought whole new creepy levels to Gotham City's history.
    And I agree, the artwork is great!
    I haven't kept up as of late but I believe he drew the whole damn thing!
    The most recent book I read involved Joker wearing his own cut off face as a mask, lol.

I think currently Batman is dead and Gordon took over (?) That can't last...

But Court of Owls is a new classic- definitely give it a go!

Yes, Scott Snyder as far as I've heard it has created a brand new story for the history of Gotham and how it came to be, ie. the founding families and the like.

Capullo has drawn everything Batman related that Snyder has written for the main run of the New 52 comics, and is now taking a break to work on a yet unannounced project that they are both involved with. Apparently it's going to be amazing, whatever it is.

I believe the Joker stuff you're referring to is the Death in the Family run, which did look interesting. I'll have to get around to purchasing all of Capullo and Snyder's work sometime, though I live nowhere near where graphic novels are sold and I hate ordering online and falling victim to shipping costs.

As far as Gordon as Batman goes, I think Bruce currently has amnesia or something to that affect, and in a recent issue, has proposed to a woman in his life. Of course, we all know how that's going to end up.

DarthDimi wrote: »
    Gotham Central (2002 - 2006)
    by Ed Brubaker, Greg Rucka, Michael Lark

GC01-630x420.jpg

Gotham Central is the story of the Gotham police department and its many colourful characters. It is not the story of Batman. While Batman makes a few cameo appearances, we spend most time with Renee Montoya, a character created in 1992 for Batman: The Animated Series. Even the likes of Gordon and Bullock are hardly ever brought up. We do get to see some of the supervillains, including Mr. Freeze, Mad Hatter and Two-Face, but they too are not the focal points in this 40 issue series.

IMG_8483.png

Does that annoy you? Are you still coping with the bitter after-taste of the television series 'Gotham'? Let me tell you, this stuff is brilliant! The Gotham police usually functions only peripherally in a Batman story; now it's the other way around. We experience the darker side of Gotham City from the cops' point of view. The corruption, the inner struggles, the personal losses, ... this is the book that shows us the things we never stop to think about. How would you feel if you were a detective in Gotham, trying to play things by the book, yet the "Dark Knight" does whatever he wants? And how about those freaks, like Joker, targeting cops like yourself?

-OKTOpaY0wUmOnOAT27otCxWuOXlEvUHT7M_6MKwAX4lOHuB6p27IzgttiCATHEFZl6Aa-xGdOXccz_1YiSh69UPm-2PL008re1L_TPUvSndLoEKACzkG3HCNo2RlJptUw

Do you like police procedurals? This is the comic book version you want to read. And a very good one! After a few issues, you get to know the characters, you grow to like and love them. The writers have worked hard to give them all a story, personal conflicts and character traits. The level of detail is impressive. At first I kept looking for Batman. After a while, I forgot about the Bat. Only when the time is right are famous characters like Robin or Bullock thrown in for a specific reason. The authors know we are familiar with those characters and so they tell the story of other characters first and foremost. I applaud them for that. I applaud them even more for taking risks and bringing a lot of violence, death and risqué topics to the page.

13586095._SX540_.jpg

Not in the very least am I impressed with the graphics. The panels flow like shots from a film. Facial expressions and details in the background are a delight in and by themselves, just to look at!

gothamcentral_022_crispus.jpg

Despite great reviews, Gotham Central was eventually cancelled because the authors were moving on to other things. But the 40 issues we were left with, are some of the best stuff I've ever read, not just in the Batman series but in comics in general. Whether you're a Batman fan or not, if you can appreciate great story telling and wonderful graphics, this book is for you. The highest of recommends.

@DarthDimi, Gotham Central is by and large the sole biggest recommendation for Batman runs that I've ever had addressed to me. I've been an idiot for holding out for so long, and I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and order it online soon. I've heard nothing but stellar things about it from my best friend, and it was in many ways what I was hoping Gotham was going to be: strong, emotional stories about the detectives facing insuperable levels of crime in a city riddled with danger and corruption.

I think Gotham has been far and away a better series in season two, but so many of the showrunner's decisions have thrown good sense to the wind and at times I don't think the writers realize how many great story opportunities they are throwing away by the plots they're crafting. We can only hope that the show gets closer to Gotham Central in its vision looking ahead to the future.
  • I believe the Joker stuff you're referring to is the Death in the Family run, which did look interesting. I'll have to get around to purchasing all of Capullo and Snyder's work sometime, though I live nowhere near where graphic novels are sold and I hate ordering online and falling victim to shipping costs.
    Yes that's the one- the whole thing started in Detective Comics and I thought it was a cool idea (no more clowning around, let's see a REAL psychopath) but I hate when you need to buy multiple different books to get the whole story.

When I get trade paperbacks or hardcovers I usually get them on Amazon!
    The prime membership gets you automatic free two day shipping, but even regular customers get free shipping if you spend $35 on most items. Practically all current books count!
    I believe the Joker stuff you're referring to is the Death in the Family run, which did look interesting. I'll have to get around to purchasing all of Capullo and Snyder's work sometime, though I live nowhere near where graphic novels are sold and I hate ordering online and falling victim to shipping costs.
    Yes that's the one- the whole thing started in Detective Comics and I thought it was a cool idea (no more clowning around, let's see a REAL psychopath) but I hate when you need to buy multiple different books to get the whole story.

When I get trade paperbacks or hardcovers I usually get them on Amazon!
    The prime membership gets you automatic free two day shipping, but even regular customers get free shipping if you spend $35 on most items. Practically all current books count!

On Batman Day a while back I meant to price check some trade paperbacks that were on sale on Amazon to add some new stuff to my collection, but it slipped my mind as it was quite the busy week.

As for the multiple book purchases, I am with you. Part of the reason why I don't bother keeping up with weekly comics in our current age is just that. I'm not sure about Marvel's strategies, as I'm not as familiar with its current publications, but I know DC spans its stories across different books a lot. What results is something like this...

Random DC Spokesperson: "What's that? You want to find out what happens to Nightwing in Detective Comics #53? Well, first, to get the backstory to why he's doing what he is in issue #53, you'll need to buy issues #22, 23 and 24 of the Nightwing series. If you want to know what events lead Dick to do what he does in issues #25 and 26 of the Nightwing run, check out Batgirl issue #13 and Robin: The Boy Wonder issues #8 to #9. Buy the slightly more expensive variant covers to the Batgirl and Robin comics to get an extended five page epilogue that connects Nightwing's mission in issues #22, 23 and 24 of that book and issue #53 of Detective Comics, while giving you a sneak peek at the next arc in his story."

I've seen comics fans ranting about this kind of thing, where to follow the story of just one character of interest to them in completion, they'd need to pick up several separate comics of a similar price. Why DC does this is beyond me, as it obviously hurts a substantial part of the market who either can't afford to invest that much into comics or who may not live in an area where all those issues are for sale.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,116
    Last comic was Vargr. Sure #1 is just a set up and I would have preferred Sir Miles but it's great Bond.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Last comic was Vargr. Sure #1 is just a set up and I would have preferred Sir Miles but it's great Bond.
    Indeed. And have said that, I've just finished reading all the three issues the previous Bond comic that was published in its complete form and not left alone like A Silent Armageddon and GoldenEye. What I've read is The Quasimodo Gambit, which apparently took the writer six years to finish it off. It was a mixture of Dr. No, elements taken from Licence To Kill and Live And Let Die and last but not least, Die Hard. I don't if I could have said that I liked it a lot but the inner artwork was certainly a terrific one, whereas the cover artworks really strikes inferior by far when you compare them with the actual panels.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Indeed. And have said that, I've just finished reading all the three issues the previous Bond comic that was published in its complete form and not left alone like A Silent Armageddon and GoldenEye. What I've read is The Quasimodo Gambit, which apparently took the writer six years to finish it off. It was a mixture of Dr. No, elements taken from Licence To Kill and Live And Let Die and last but not least, Die Hard. I don't if I could have said that I liked it a lot but the inner artwork was certainly a terrific one, whereas the cover artworks really strikes inferior by far when you compare them with the actual panels.

Yes I have it ...untouched since the 90's. I enjoyed QG as well. Always pictured Henry Rollins as the baddie.

A pre-9/11 plot with then 90s dubbed "domestic" terrorists.

The only domestic terrorist I ever encountered was an angry housekeeper at a budget hotel in Galveston. That's another story.....
    Donald Duck: Trick Or Treat

Another Carl Barks collection, this time covering the period 1952-1953. One of the very best.
  • ANDY-KLAUS%20promo_559c0e4f16b9b0.23516031.jpg

Dark Knight III

There's really not a whole lot I can say without spoiling the whole thing.

But without giving too much away, thank goodness, this is the TRUE sequel to Dark Knight Returns! After the unbelievable what-were-they-thinking disappointment that was Dark Knight Strikes Again, Dark Knight III captures the look and tone of the original. DKSA is referenced to a minimum, aside from Wonder Woman & Lara returning. DKSA felt like it too place on another freaking planet while DKIII feels more like the Gotham from DKR.

Regarding the ending
    'Batman' is subdued and revealed to actually be Carrie Kelly and she says THIS:

DARK-KNIGHT-III-MASTER-RACE-Carrie-Kelly-cant-carry-on.jpg

I'm curious as hell as to what's REALLY going down!
    Marvel's current Star Wars / Darth Vader comics

Star-Wars-Vader-Down-001.jpg

Marvel has been involved with Star Wars since before Empire was released. But the recent comic book lines top everything. With ongoing series "Star Wars" and "Darth Vader" and miniseries "Princes Leia", "Lando" and "Chewbacca" and single issues like "C-3PO", they really went above and beyond anything ever printed before in the Star Wars universe. These comics bridge the gap between Star Wars and Empire and actually provide great content for fans of the original trilogy. A few nods to the prequels here and there actually work well too.

More than the good stories, we also have outstanding graphic work. All familiar faces are expertly drawn, often in poses we recognise from the movies. Flashback panels to the movies can be found in some issues too. The star and other battles are very exciting.

I'm currently at issue 13 of both Star Wars and Darth Vader, as part of a 6 issue cross-over called Darth Vader Down. This is addictive stuff, people. And I'm already waiting for the next couple of issues to be released.

vader3.png
    HELLBOY_MIDNIGHT CIRCUS
    by Mike Mignola and Duncan Fegredo.

It is 1949, and like Pinocchio the 4 y.o. Hellboy runs away to see the circus. This is marvellous stuff.
    Currently reading some old Donald Duck magazines from the 40s-70s. Nostalgia seeps in.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Z-Girl And The Four Tigers: Odyssey #1/5

4eec30ecf95ecfc2cebe9de01997f207._SX312_QL80_TTD_.jpg

I'm going to be honest here, I had no idea that this character existed until a few months ago. It was the announcement by Phicen that they were releasing the 1/6 figure of Z-Girl. When I found out about the figure, I couldn't possibly pass up the chance to add to my collection, a female zombie action hero. I was surprised to open the box, and find a comic on top of the upper tray. In no write up on the figures' accessories, was there mention of a comic. Having read the first issue, i'm curious to see where this is going. The concept is bonkers enough to get my interest, and keep my hooked.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 15,423
    A SILENT ARMAGEDDON
    DPTR6JB.jpg
    Yes, yes, the James Bond comic book that, unfortunately, never got a completion and only published two out of four issues. What a shame. I don't think I like the New York setting of the early 90s which has a bit of 70s Live And Let Die feel into it with the casual and ghetto elements mixing up with the Bond story in the first half of the first issue. The highlight of the comic book is the artwork, John M. Burns' fantastic illustration of the panels, characters and the architecture of the scenery. The story gets a bit more interesting when it takes us back to London for M to brief 007 of the results that occurred in New York earlier. The second issue leaves with a cliffhanger that's extremely interesting to me, and one day I pray I could see a completion of the comic book if Dynamite (that has the license to publish Bond comics, as of now) could acquire the IP of the comic and republish it in its original format. I'd die a happy man. :D

One interesting part of the comic was that one of the panels seems to have inspired the artist for VARGR's Retro cover by Robert Hack. I'll be posting the links to the artworks below in case it interests any of my fellow Bond fans.
    I love the retro look of that VARGR cover! It's more in tune with classic Bond than the poster designs for the recent films could ever hope to be.
    I love the retro look of that VARGR cover! It's more in tune with classic Bond than the poster designs for the recent films could ever hope to be.
    It does, doesn't it? :D I do believe though, that one issue is sold out, but we'll get that as a bonus feature once VARGR comes out in its complete edition by the end of July.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 28,694
    I might definitely pick this up when a trade comes out.

By the way, are there any big Daredevil fans in here? I've had him on the brain recently due to the show coming back, and was curious if anyone could point me in the direction of a really great collection of Frank Miller's 80s run on the character. I want to get into his era because I've heard nothing but great things about it, and was curious to know where I could find a collection of his best stuff. For instance, the Roulette storyline, his Kingpin work with David Mazzucchelli and all the great Bullseye stuff.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'm gettting a serious Pan books vibe from that cover.