Last graphic novel, comic book, manga you read

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'm not in any way ready for this Dark Knight III: The Master Race. I loved The Dark Knight Returns, I loved Batman: Year One, and although I didn't like most of All-Star Batman & Robin, it gave me my favorite line to say when talking about the g*ddamned Batman (you know the one). The Dark Knight Strikes Again was the first and only nail Miller's Batman needed to die in my opinion. It was crap, 100%.

I wish Frank Miller would return to Sin City. Stark black and white, true noir, it was where his real strengths lied, and where he needs to go again.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Frank Miller is a genius.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 4,813
    I agree @Agent007391 on Dark Knight III. I remember when it was first announced that there would be a sequel to Dark Knight Returns and it was an event. Then Dark Knight Strikes Again sucked so hard I can barely even remember the story. The art was atrocious too- nothing at all like DKR. I like the occasional stylized Frank Miller drawn comic cover, but DKSA was like that from beginning to end- it then became more like a child drew it. Everyone looked like they were drawn with a bold tip Sharpie.
    I did kind of like The Flash's costume design though- he looked like a runner.

The whole Robin reveal was the dumb icing on the stupid cake. :-L

Robin49_zpsb7387d75.jpg
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Was it the one where Dick Grayson dies, falling in a volcano inside the bat cave with Batman saying "Goodbye, Boy Wonder"? Boy, that was utterly balderdash.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Yes, it was. It sucked.
  • ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    I read the collected graphic novel of Prometheus Fire and Stone at the weekend. Really enjoyed it. Great expansion on the events of the movie and I loved the art. Now I have to wait a month for Aliens Fire and Stone to come out...
    Antman movie tie-in. Underwhelming.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Chevron, are you reading the trade paperbacks? Because I read all the Fire And Stone comics months ago.

And thoroughly liked them. ;-) (See several posts ago)
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 9,784
    picking up Batman #40 this weekend I am honestly looking forward to both 40 and 41
    Because while Bruce dieing is tragic I am curious to see what they do with Jim Gordon how he does as Batman and how the whole thing plays out I loved Dick as batman Battle for the cowl was one of my all time favorite arcs anyhoo we shall see
  • ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Chevron, are you reading the trade paperbacks? Because I read all the Fire And Stone comics months ago.

And thoroughly liked them. ;-) (See several posts ago)

Yep, I got the collected Prometheus graphic novel on the week of release. They seem to be coming out one a month. I used to buy individual comics when a story caught my eye but getting the collected edition works out better value.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Risico007 wrote: »
    picking up Batman #40 this weekend I am honestly looking forward to both 40 and 41
    Because while Bruce dieing is tragic I am curious to see what they do with Jim Gordon how he does as Batman and how the whole thing plays out I loved Dick as batman Battle for the cowl was one of my all time favorite arcs anyhoo we shall see

What? They're
    killing Bruce
    AGAIN? Christ, DC must be straight out of ideas at this point. I expected a helluva lot more from Snyder and Capullo.

Snyder actually said he wants this series to get the Batman comics more fans, which is hilarious considering that Bruce isn't even going to be around. Can't have Batman without Batman, can you? Not to mention how horrible the suit looks-is it Bunnyman or Batman? I'm confused.
    I like the new suit but I am perhaps a sadomasochist liking things others don't but I have a print out of the suit on my desk is it better then the classic. No but is it at least different and for the first time since arguably 1999 with Batman Beyond we have an actual new suit that is noticeably different yes. and I kind of like that.
    Just bought a huge Carl Barks book, featuring several classics-amongst others "Lost In the Andes". It is the first book in a series, and I am saving up for the others. Barks was a true genius.
    Scarlett Couture (Issue #1) by Des Taylor.

scarlettnightposter.jpg

All I can say about this is that if you do like the generic James Bond films and adventures, then this is definitely for you. Some brilliant artwork featured within the pages, all looking classical as well as dragging a newer spin on Bruce Timm's style of constructing the figures. Taylor, the creator of this comic, is a huge fan of Timm's. Well, he's full of surprises once you get to know him. I, personally, loved it, and can't wait for the second issue.

That's the best review one could get to read:
    http://geekmom.com/2015/05/genderbending-james-bond/

On another occasion, I was introduced to the long-time running series called Fairest, which I didn't have the slightest idea about what it was until I managed to get the issues from #21 to #26. In here, fairy tales and their characters are expanded and sort of immortalized to my understanding, coming from the past four or five centuries to the 21st century. For instance, Cinderella is a freelance secret agent, described by the writer of the series as "female James Bond" (Oh Lordy, how many are there, already?). I wouldn't say I enjoyed it, some bits becoming too much over-the-top for my taste, both magic and technology blend in to the storyline, which makes some parts look really ridiculous. If you're intrigued enough, however, be my guest and check it out by yourself.

FAIRES_Cv22.jpg
    by Marc Andreyko and Shawn McManus
    Thanks for that, @ClarkDevlin! :-)

I'm intrigued. I think I'll give both of those series a try.
    Currently reading Civil War
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Scarlett Coture reminds me of Danger Girl, I will keep an eye out for those two.
    edited May 2015 Posts: 15,423
    Hope you'll enjoy it, Dimi. :)

And that was definitely what I said to a colleague of mine about Scarlett Couture, Major. It is as good as, if not better than, Danger Girl. It's a straight out spy flick (if comics can be called that), without the inclusion of Indiana Jones-type supernatural or alienated elements.
    edited May 2015 Posts: 23,634
    I honestly can't believe anything can be better than Danger Girl, @ClarkDevlin! ;-) You're talking to ME, someone who's read ALL of the Danger Girl comics ever published several times now. ;-)
    You're talking to ME, someone who's read ALL of the Danger Girl comics ever published several times now. ;-)
    That certainly makes two of us, my good man. :D

Or as Dalton says...

"Better make that two!"
    And I know which 'two' you mean, sir. ;-)

2089718.jpg
    And I know which 'two' you mean, sir. ;-)

2089718.jpg
    Austin%20Powers_zps9bvt4s35.gif
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2015 Posts: 13,905
    And that was definitely what I said to a colleague of mine about Scarlett Couture, Major. It is as good as, if not better than, Danger Girl. It's a straight out spy flick (if comics can be called that), without the inclusion of Indiana Jones-type supernatural or alienated elements.

Then I certainly will keep an eye out for Scarlett Coture when I am next in my local comic shop. I do love me some Danger Girl, to the point where I have created my own fancast. The holy grail of my DG collection (which consists of the comics, graphic novel(s), the PS1 video game and the 2 1:6 Dragon Toys figures), is the Hardback Lt Ed 'Absolute Danger Girl Collection/J Scott Campbell Sketchbook'. A thing of pure beauty. ^:)^
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 9,784
    Picking up Batman Earth one Volume 2 Saturday and I have begun reading The Dark Knight Returns I bought because I am a batman fan but never got into it however based on the trailer considering there are what 6 Shots from the Graphic novel in the BVS trailer alone I figured now would be a good time to read it.

Then I certainly will keep an eye out for Scarlett Coture when I am next in my local comic shop. I do love me some Danger Girl, to the point where I have created my own fancast. The holy grail of my DG collection (which consists of the comics, graphic novel(s), the PS1 video game and the 2 1:6 Dragon Toys figures), is the Hardback Lt Ed 'Absolute Danger Girl Collection/J Scott Campbell Sketchbook'. A thing of pure beauty. ^:)^
    I think we are on the very same boat, sir. It's a shame, however, that the PlayStation game didn't meet the standards of superiority, but it was a good re-imagination of the original story arc. They seem to have added a new character as the third operative replacing Natalya Kassle who already was a villainess ever since the beginning of the game, whereas in the comics it took us six issues to find out about her true nature.

Well, I have to say, now, that she's back. Has anyone read Mayday yet? @DarthDimi, @MajorDSmythe?
    Sir, yes, sir! And I can't wait for the next story... I think it's a great 4 issue comic BUT it's also a setup for the next adventure so don't expect a traditional DG comic.

SCOTT PILGRIM: the color version

ScottPilgrimTBS.png

I'm a scottaholic. I already read the original black-and-white series by Bryan Lee O'Malley a few times and couldn't have been more excited when the color version was announced in 2012. Just recently the final volume (6) was released and I could at last start reading. For make no mistake, with the colored series complete, you couldn't have kept me from a scottathon.

Scott Pilgrim takes the best of manga, superhero comics and early 90s youth culture and blends it together nicely. The result? The funniest thing ever put on page for my 8-bit video game generation. :-) Meet Scott Pilgrim, 23, totally awesome and dating a high schooler in Toronto. But his life is about to change. Scott encounters Ramona Flowers, literally the girl of his dreams. However, if he wants to be with her, he must defeat her 7 evil exes...

You may (or may not) have seen the Edgar Wright film adaptation, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, starring Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, the lovely Ellen Wong and others. Whether you like that film or not is of absolutely no meaning. You have to read the 6 volume graphic novel, preferably in color though that's just my opinion, in order to get the scott-bug.

Scott Pilgrim is awesome.
    I am reading "The Revenge of the baby-sat". Calvin & Hobbes. Pure genius.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Risico007, be sure to post your thoughts on The Dark Knight Returns here. I'm interested to see what you think.
    Well, I have to say, now, that she's back. Has anyone read Mayday yet? @DarthDimi, @MajorDSmythe?

Yes, I have. It is my 3rd favourite DG series after the orgininal run, and Revolver.
    @Risico007, be sure to post your thoughts on The Dark Knight Returns here. I'm interested to see what you think.

So far I am only a few pages in and I just don't like the art style at all it's very blocky Story wise is ok but like I said I am not nor have I ever been the biggest fan of Miller But this is quintessential batman I guess and I figure why not lol

However I am much more looking forward to Earth One Volume 2.

I will give a more in-depth review when I finish it.