Bond Villain A vs. Bond Villain B (Chang vs. Gettler)

Comments

My vote goes to Brad Whitaker. While Stromberg did receive more screentime and had more made out of his character, I find him rather bland and dull, whereas at least Joe Don Baker put some light and energy into Whitaker's character. Plus, Whitaker engaged Bond in an actual duel face-to-well, shield. Haha. Anyway, Stromberg just doesn't do it for me.
  • DB5DB5
    Brad Whitaker. As for future contests I'd suggest either Red Grant vs Oddjob or Fiona Volpe vs Helga Brandt.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited June 2012 Posts: 16,333
    How about Max Zorin vs Dominic Greene. (The Axe Men!) =))
    I would have to say Whittaker too because he is a more plausable villain.
    Murdock wrote:
    How about Max Zorin vs Dominic Greene. (The Axe Men!) =))

There will only be one winner there and even a game of Russian Roulette wouldn't change that :D
    Stromberg all the way. Brad Whittaker was the weakest link in an otherwise excellent movie.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 2,107
    The hermit of the seas ; Karl Stromberg.

Xenia Onatopp vs Fiona Volpe? Pe-Pe-Pe-Pweeease!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited June 2012 Posts: 8,040
    Karl Stromberg.

Suggestion: Georgi Koskov versus Dominic Greene. Who'd win that?
  • Stromberg easily for me. He menaced everyone around him and enjoyed it. Whitaker, just a run of the mill, average arms dealer you could see in any action film.
  • Koskov was way too soft from the good life. TLD was very weak in the villain department except for Necros, who was a great and very versatile henchman.
    Two of the most instantly forgettable main adversaries of the Bond series, but Kurt Jurgens' Stromberg wins, it was the 30th anniversary of his death the other day as you know, so just for him, and because I think he also deserved this round, Stromberg wins

Neither of these two would win 'Best Bond villain of the franchise' award that's for sure :-<
    Two of the most instantly forgettable main adversaries of the Bond series, but Kurt Jurgens' Stromberg wins, it was the 30th anniversary of his death the other day as you know, so just for him, and because I think he also deserved this round, Stromberg wins

Neither of these two would win 'Best Bond villain of the franchise' award that's for sure :-<

I've always liked Kurt's performance in Spy. A class act IMO. Helped by Ken Adam and John Barry of course!
    If you want to see Jurgens in a decent role or performance even, check out The Enemy Below, he didn't manage it in 1977 for a James Bond appearance..

odd thing is, it never really got any better from there on, Drax had some great lines as mentioned, but was too banal, Julian Glover after him, was quite awful, Louis Jourdan was never going to win Bond adversary of the decade, Chris Walken was wasted, Joe Don Baker was about as dull and obscure as Whitaker, as his Jack Wade character, but nearly not so annoying, it was only until 1989 and Robert Davi, that we truly got back to the level of decent and entertaining James Bond villains I do feel

If you want to see Jurgens in a decent role or performance even, check out The Enemy Below, he didn't manage it in 1977 for a James Bond appearance..

odd thing is, it never really got any better from there on, Drax had some great lines as mentioned, but was too banal, Julian Glover after him, was quite awful, Louis Jourdan was never going to win Bond adversary of the decade, Chris Walken was wasted, Joe Don Baker was about as dull and obscure as Whitaker, as his Jack Wade character, but nearly not so annoying, it was only until 1989 and Robert Davi, that we truly got back to the level of decent and entertaining James Bond villains I do feel

You can't beat Walken/Zorin shooting his own men in the mine. Classic scene.
    Walken pulls some funny faces and seems to be enjoying himself amid all the mayhem but those few moments cannot componsate for a largely uninspiring performance

I wonder if he ever looks back at his acting resume etc, The Deer Hunter...The Dogs of War.. King of New York...At Close Range...Pulp Fiction....Last Man Standing....A View to a Kill....WTF =))
    Walken pulls some funny faces and seems to be enjoying himself amid all the mayhem but those few moments cannot componsate for a largely uninspiring performance

I wonder if he ever looks back at his acting resume etc, The Deer Hunter...The Dogs of War.. King of New York...At Close Range...Pulp Fiction....Last Man Standing....A View to a Kill....WTF =))

He's done a lot worse than VTAK...
    I have to say Stromberg, his plan arrived further, he had better henchmen, he was always relaxed and he had a submarine oratory, I mean, laboratory...
    Karl Stromberg for me.
    Enjoying all these comments.

For my next request I have for you - General Orlov vs General Ourumov.

When you are ready 00Beast.
    Okay, the results are in!
    Karl: 13 votes
    Brad: 10 votes

Close, but no cigar for Whitaker! Stromberg used the USS Wayne and Potempkin to fire sea-to-air missiles that launched all the way over to Whitaker's house in Tangier and blew the place to smithereens!

Round Three: Georgi Koskov vs. Dominic Greene
    Well if no one wants to open it up, I guess I will!
    My vote goes to Georgi Koskov. He simply feels more like a Bond villain than Dominic "Pathetic" Greene ever would hope to. I disagree with most people that he's a horrible villain. I thought that Krabbe did a really nice job with his character.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Greene

I love the madness in his eyes when he wings that axe at Bond. Great moment, IMO.
    Greene as he has a Shadowy organisation behind him! Koskov has nothing but a smile and BS! :))
  • DB5DB5
    Koskov. He's a much more interesting character.
    Dom Greene. I thought the casting was excellent, although they didn't really develop the character as much as I would have liked. Koskov is more of a clown than a villain.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Koskov I liked him more.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I guess Greene.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Koskov just didn't impress, and I forget completely about him, and he becomes lost behind someone as iffy as Whitaker. So, Greene it is. I love his dialogue, the moments between him and Bond, especially their fight. I also enjoy it when he almost pushes Camille off the balcony. He seemed truly villainous, and his childhood story he tells to Camille is malevolent to boot.
  • I'll go with Greene, but by a hair. They were on the right track with him as far as a villain but I'll always wonder what could have been. Koskov is just TOO friendly and soft and doesn't have enough menace for my taste. I thought his character in "No Mercy" was a lot more effective and it's shame he couldn't have brought more of that to this role.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'll go with Greene, but by a hair. They were on the right track with him as far as a villain but I'll always wonder what could have been. Koskov is just TOO friendly and soft and doesn't have enough menace for my taste. I thought his character in "No Mercy" was a lot more effective and it's shame he couldn't have brought more of that to this role.

Koskov is overly predictable. Bond just went through all this trouble to helpe him cross over to freedom. THERE'S NO WAY HE'LL TURN OUT TO BE EVIL OR ANYTHING.