Bond Villain A vs. Bond Villain B (Chang vs. Gettler)

Comments

This is tough. Dr No and Goldfinger actually set the standard from which all Bond villians are graded. I cannot say which one was better and many future Bond bad guys had traits borrowed from one or both of them.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Other suggestions:

Sanchez vs Scaramanga

Irma Bunt vs Rosa Klebb

Blofeld (YOLT) vs Blofeld (OHMSS)

Blofeld (DAF) vs Moon/Graves

Red Grant vs Zao
    Well, because there are so many other combinations possible than my Bond movie versus thread, we'll go ahead and close this round down and declare Dr. Julius No our winner! In a climatic duel to the death, Goldfinger fired a shot from his golden revolver which Dr. No blocked with his metal hands, sending the bullet straight into Goldfinger's chest.

And now, on first request from @Whitaker1987, here's the next round:

Karl Stromberg vs. Brad Whitaker
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    I vote for the man with the Midas touch......Goldfinger!
    Ouch. Two of my least favorite villans. I like Joe Don Baker as an actor but I'll give the edge to Stromberg as he was originally going to be Blofeld.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Karl Stromberg since he's more in the classic 007 supervillain-mold of the 2.
    Stromberg for the same reasons that PrinceKamalKhan stated.

Whitaker was an interesting character but he does not receive enough screen time and thus did not leave much of a mark. .
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Brad Whitaker! I love Joe Don Baker. he was great in Walking Tall. and since I dislike stromberg. you have my vote.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Stromberg for the same reasons that PrinceKamalKhan stated.

Whitaker was an interesting character but he does not receive enough screen time and thus did not leave much of a mark. .

You're right about that. The idea of an insecure militant nut teaming up with a traitorous KBG General sounds awesome on paper. Sadly it just didn't translate to the screen.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited June 2012 Posts: 2,629
    My vote goes to Whitaker because he survived eating lunch.
    I will go for Whitaker just for the scene waving a lobster claw around.
    Stromberg.

"once again gentlmen...my most profound thanks"

He's also named after a cider I like.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 172
    Whitaker. He put up more of a fight at the end plus he had better toys to play with than Stromberg.

Stromberg's chair gun vs Whitaker's assault rifle. Bond shot fishfingers four times but Whitaker would have made it 80 ouch. Not a nice thought or way to go?!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I liked Stomberg.

But I love the character of Whittaker. His millitary obsession and his arrogance that he could do better than historical generals was a really nice touch. He plays out those battles the way he thinks they should've been played.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2012 Posts: 15,690
    Brad Whitaker

But I love the character of Whittaker. His millitary obsession and his arrogance that he could do better than historical generals was a really nice touch. He plays out those battles the way he thinks they should've been played.

The day you will say something negative on Dalton's films... the world will end ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Brad Whitaker

The day you will say something negative on Dalton's films... the world will end ;)

I don't want to pick on the man, but they could have picked someone better than John Terry. :D
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2012 Posts: 15,690
    I don't want to pick on the man, but they could have picked someone better than John Terry. :D

You didn't say that Terry was 'bad', just that someone else could have made a better job ;)

You didn't say that Terry was 'bad', just that someone else could have made a better job ;)

Well he's not good, and that's all you're going to get. ;) I wouldn't be the stark raving mad Dalton fan that I am, if I could pick his films appart and find so many problems with them.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I've always thought JDB was better cast as Jack Wade in GE.

"Oh yeah...what are you the weatherman?"
    No, for me it's the other wade around. Eh, eh, see what I did there? Actually that's quite bad now i'm looking at it on my screen.

Wade was a buffoon in both films. I think JDB was given better material, and was much better as Whittaker.
    No, for me it's the other wade around. Eh, eh, see what I did there? Actually that's quite bad now i'm looking at it on my screen.

Wade was a buffoon in both films. I think JDB was given better material, and was much better as Whittaker.

He's a buffon in TND but not GE. There he's actually quite helpful and gets some funny lines. Never felt he had much of a presence in TLD as we only see him after an hour. Until then I don't think he's mentioned.
    I love his line in TND 'sounds like my first mariage hihihihihi !!!' :))
    edited June 2012 Posts: 13,894
    BAIN123 wrote:

He's a buffon in TND but not GE. There he's actually quite helpful and gets some funny lines. Never felt he had much of a presence in TLD as we only see him after an hour. Until then I don't think he's mentioned.

No, I think he's terrible in both films, and one of the few aspects of TND that I don't like. Why they couldn't just use the Felix Leiter character, I don't know. It's not as if GE is following on from LTK anyway. The PTS takes place in 1986, as if to say the events of the previous 2 films don't matter. :-??

Not that I agree with the PTS of GE.
    BAIN123 wrote:

No, I think he's terrible in both films, and one of the few aspects of TND that I don't like. Why they couldn't just use the Felix Leiter character, I don't know. It's not as if GE is following on from LTK anyway. The PTS takes place in 1986, as if to say the events of the previous 2 films don't matter. :-??

Not that I agree with the PTS of GE.

I think he's far more convincing as Wade than he ever was as Whitiker.

He did what he could but I was never all that fond of him in TLD. He'll always be Jack Wade to me.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well I definitely liked JDB better as Wade.
    And I vote for Stromberg on this one; a villain, not a buffoon.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Stromburg, he's a better villain.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    How low can you go? What awful choices. Brad Whitaker takes it though, no doubt the better of the two.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Gotta say Brad. I can take him seriously.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    That's the tipping point for me. Stromberg is more like a parody and really bad pantomime villain.

Just my own view, of course.
    Gotta say Brad. I can take him seriously.

I can't.

Necros on the other hand ;)