SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans - Favorite Moments In NTTD (spoilers)

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I don't know T.H.E. Cat ... but I remember Top Cat. ;) Always loved Top Cat.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    1960's
    Doctor Who (1963-1966, 1966-1969)
    Man In A Suitcase
    Adam Adamant Lives!

1970's
    Doctor Who (1970-1974)
    The Fall And Rise Of Reginald Perrin
    The Professionals
    Dad's Army
    On The Busses
    Porridge
    Going Straight
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited January 2016 Posts: 17,816
    1960s

The Twilight Zone
    The Man From UNCLE
    The Saint

1970s

Columbo
    The Professionals

Dad's Army

Columbo
    (1968-2003) is my favourite TV series of all time though.
  • @delfloria: Thomas Hewett Edward Cat? Man, there's an obscure one! I only barely remember it (and if I got the name wrong, that's why...)
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 3,564
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    M*A*S*H was good to do one. Though I found the episode nap worthy....I had stopped watching the show when Wayne Rodgers left but I felt I owed it to myself to watch the finale.

Actually...Since you brought it up…I think MASH is one of the few TV shows that actually improved every time they had to replace a major character. Wayne Rogers’ Trapper John was essentially the same character as Alan Alda’s Hawkeye Pierce…anything one said or did could have been voiced by the other and no one would have noticed the difference. Both great, dedicated doctors; both cynical, funny, anti-authority types, both alcoholic womanizers. Mike Farrell’s BJ Hunnicut brought a slightly different element to the mix: another great surgeon with a strong sense of humor and a quickly developing taste for moonshine, he was a dedicated family man who actually turned down the attentions of an attractive woman in one episode because he wanted to be faithful to his wife. When Frank Burns and Henry Blake left the show as well, their replacements were substantially more realistic (and to my mind, more believable) than the characters they replaced. Blake was something of a buffoon, too easy for Hawkeye to fool and therefore not really believable as a base commander. Henry Morgan’s Colonel Potter was far more realistic: he’d been around the block several times, knew how the Army worked AND knew how much he needed the talented surgeons under his command. Lenient up to a point, by-the-book when he needed to be -- the episode where the shared a bottle of cognac left to him as the “last man standing” from a group of soldiers who’d served in France during WWI was a touching tale that never could have been considered if Maclean Stevenson’s Henry Blake had remained with the show. Frank Burns was even more unrealistic: he was a whiner and a wimp, a pretend patriot that was never anything like a match for Pierce & MacIntyre/Hunnicut. David Ogden Stiers’ upper-class egotist, Charles Ermerson Winchester III, was a much stronger foil for our lead characters…and one that deserved the audience’s respect, which Burns never did. Even when Gary Burghoff’s Radar O’Reilly left the show, his position in the camp was taken by Jamie Farr’s pre-existing character, Corporal Klinger -- and the facetious cross-dressing Klinger was rendered more believable when the character was given the responsibilities that had been Radar’s. Every single time the show had to replace a major character, the show itself grew stronger -- and there aren’t very many network TV shows that can make that claim!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I loved MASH. Sad to see that Wayne Rogers recently died, but it was his time.
    I really should have been crazy about Hart to Hart, but I didn't see it much (busy with life, I guess). But I did like it. Love the two leads (Wagner & Powers). I remember enjoying MacMillan & Wife and Columbo. Kojak was a favorite; I tried not to miss that.
    And yes, it is sad Wayne rogers recently died. He was quite memorable in M*A*S*H - though I agree with you, @Beatles, about the two lead characters being too similar during Wayne's time. Wayne made real success in other business fields, too. I'm sad he passed away.
    I just checked rather quickly online, and it seems all the lead actors in the Mary Tyler Moore Show are still with us, except Ted Knight. Bless them all; it was a classic show.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    As I am far too young to know (most) of the other shows, just want to support @Beatles's take on the show development. Only other show that improved considerably by changing characters a.f.a.i.k. is JAG, when Meg was replaced by Mac.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    I really should have been crazy about Hart to Hart, but I didn't see it much (busy with life, I guess). But I did like it. Love the two leads (Wagner & Powers). I remember enjoying MacMillan & Wife and Columbo. Kojak was a favorite; I tried not to miss that.

And Ironside!
    Yes! I watched Ironside. Thanks for mentioning it. :)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Yes! I watched Ironside. Thanks for mentioning it. :)
    Basically, I watched almost everything back then. I'll be no one here remembers Mr. Terrific!
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I had to look it up: CAPTAIN NICE.
    Captain Nice sucked; Mr. Terrific was the cat's whiskers.
    I do NOT remember those at all. But I like people posting some fave clips ... other ones, please too. :) I'll go find Top Cat, somebody get me a Kojak clip! ;)
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 2,341
    @4EverBonded, I enjoyed Hart to Hart also. I always felt that the characters and show were loosely based on Nick and Nora Charles of "the Thin Man" films from the 1930's. It was a great show.

The Incredible Hulk anyone? How's about Wonder Woman ?

Soap I thought the first season was tops. It was witty, fun and cutting edge. Some networks actually tried to keep it off the air back in 1977. A young Billy Chrystal playing gay Jody Dallas, his brother in the mob, his uncle cheating on his wife and one of his cousins a nymphomanic trying to seduce a young priest. Great stuff.

The later seasons not so...
    The Incredible Hulk anyone? How's about Wonder Woman ?

Of course! Hulk had great stories & WW had Lynda.
    As far as I am concerned there can only be One and only ONE WONDER WOMAN and it be my girl Lynda!!!!!!!!!!
  • OHMSS69 wrote: »
    As far as I am concerned there can only be One and only ONE WONDER WOMAN and it be my girl Lynda!!!!!!!!!!

I used to think that way about George Reeves as Superman...then Christopher Reeve as the same...then......... well there hasn't really been a great Superman since Christopher R IMHO. Let us know how you feel once you've seen B-Man vs.S-Man coming soon to a theater near you!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Soap I thought the first season was tops. It was witty, fun and cutting edge. Some networks actually tried to keep it off the air back in 1977. A young Billy Chrystal playing gay Jody Dallas, his brother in the mob, his uncle cheating on his wife and one of his cousins a nymphomanic trying to seduce a young priest. Great stuff.

The later seasons not so...

I loved Soap. As a kid, I thought Burt was one of the funniest guys around.

I used to think that way about George Reeves as Superman...then Christopher Reeve as the same...then......... well there hasn't really been a great Superman since Christopher R IMHO. Let us know how you feel once you've seen B-Man vs.S-Man coming soon to a theater near you!

I agree as far as I am concerned there can be no more Superman since Christopher Reeve and Christian Bale broke the mold on Batman. I have no intention of seeing the new movie later this year. "Dawn of Justice" my ass.
  • OHMSS69 wrote: »

I agree as far as I am concerned there can be no more Superman since Christopher Reeve and Christian Bale broke the mold on Batman. I have no intention of seeing the new movie later this year. "Dawn of Justice" my ass.

Hey, DC NEEDS to get a Justice League film out there to soak up all those "Avengers" $$$. Ready or not, here comes the Sub-Ma...* oh, excuse me: "Aquaman!"

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Christopher Reeve and Kevin Conroy will forever be my Superman and Batman. ;)
    I actually do not remember that, @Birdleson! But I remember loving eating Butterfingers (and they were really hard on my teeth). :)
    GE had that feel in the theatre I saw it in. Much less so after that, but in the theatre I saw SP at least everyone laughed out loud at the funny moments.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 12,459
    I vividly remember the audience having that kind of reaction for Tomorrow Never Dies, right from the PTS; almost like they were participating with Bond. Not just laughing at certain funny moments; it was palpable. That was in Florida. I cannot say about any audience reaction for Skyfall and SPECTRE because in Japan the audiences are quieter all around.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    In my experience it really depends on the audience and the time of viewing. I saw SPECTRE 5 times and of those five times the second and third viewing the audience was really enthousiastic (mind you, not the first!). The rest was just some laughter, but that was it. So I guess it's the time of day, the expectations of the audience and if they're surprised or not. People at 'The Man From U.N.C.L.E.' were lauder, but that film was very different from what I and probably the people around me expected. For me SPECTRE was/is a very good Bond film, but as I said, I did expect something like this.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 2,341
    The Bond movie that I noticed the most reaction from the audience was DAF.
    I was sitting there just sadden by the whole sorry affair while I noted the audience howling at the car chase, Kidd and Wint (especially the one who squealed)

It was a very surreal experience for a campy surreal film...and the one rank at the bottom with MR
    edited January 2016 Posts: 12,459
    DAF was my first Bond film in a theater, so its flaws were lost on me. I was 15 and dazzled by Bond's world. And I yearned to be Jill St. John. ;) All I remember is the audience loving it.

It is lost 80% of its luster for me, I think.
    I was 11 for DAF, and I remember lots of chuckling, and a big "whoah" when he did his Whyte House Spider-man thing.