Christopher Nolan wants to direct a Bond

Comments

• Samuel001 wrote:
    Take it from me, you'll love both Brady. Great films.

Agreed @Samuel001. I've loved Nolan since I saw Memento at the cinema but The Prestige is his absolute best work, IMO. One of those films one can happily go back to time and time again.

(Also, again IMO, one of the relatively few films that's miles better than its source material)

Insomnia is still one of Nolan's more "meh" works, saved by the acting of the trio of Al Pacino, Robin Williams and Hilary Swank. The Prestige is much more interesting and well thought out, though both are great films in their own right.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I think one of the only bigger films of Nolan's I've yet to see is 'Insomnia.' 'The Prestige' is beyond amazing.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Take it from me, you'll love both Brady. Great films.

It's Nolan, so I am sure I will. I just have to find a time to see them after I get the films watched that I currently need to see.

Watched the Prestige. I love it so much, for what it does at the very end.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Insomnia is still one of Nolan's more "meh" works, saved by the acting of the trio of Al Pacino, Robin Williams and Hilary Swank. The Prestige is much more interesting and well thought out, though both are great films in their own right.
    Agreed. I would hesitate to call Insomnia great. It's well made and entertaining enough but I believe it to be the weakest of Nolan's films from what I've seen so far. I have yet to see TDKR. To be the "worst" in a collection of very good films is not a terrible thing though.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    I trust if Nolan directs Bond 24 or 25, it will be a damn good film. I feel he has a pretty good track record so far and I think his style will compliment Craig and modern day Bond pretty well.

However, whether or not he can make a good Bond film is my concern.
    Nolan would be ideal for Bond 26 with a new actor as 007. But that's so far ahead so it's a bit crazy to predict that will happen. Bond 26 could be nine years away!
    He should direct at least one bond.

I'd love to see him do another Christian Bale film with magicians.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    mi6-hq.com wrote:
    Christopher Nolan talks James Bond, praises Mendes and EON
    Bond News - 10-11-14
    It's not secret that acclaimed filmmaker Christopher Nolan admired the Bond films, but he was recently asked again about Bond and the possibility of helming a 007 production. Nolan admitted that he had had talks with the Bond producers, but that nothing had been forthcoming.

Speaking to The Daily Beast in the course of promoting "Interstellar", the writer and director said: "I love James Bond and I’ve talked with the producers over the years, but nothing’s ever worked out. They do a great job—they don’t need me right now, and Sam [Mendes] is an extraordinary talent."

He left the opportunity open of future collaboration, remarking, "I will absolutely be first in line to see the next Bond film as I have been for all of them."

Thanks to `Samuel001` for the alert.
    Great news to hear nothing´s worked out so far! Hopefully Eon will drop him completely after seeing Interstellar.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I would've loved to see Nola helm a film a couple of years ago. But in my opinion he had his peak in between TDK and Inception.
    Both TDKR and especially Interstellar are bloated films with characters more representing themes then being actual characters.
    Sure, I admire him for trying to do everything "for real" and for all the lengths he goes to actually make something different but his directorial style isn't that special and his latest scripts are more expiation than anything else.

It saddens me a bit to say this though.
  • It's also the other way around. Sam Mendes was indeed influenced by The Drak Knight-trilogy: http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/sam-mendes-says-he-was-not-at-all-interested-in-bond-at-first-took-direct-inspiration-from-christopher-nolans-dark-knight-films-20121018?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I can understand the fear for Noland, and that he might turn a Bond film into Gotham City. But wasn't it really Sam Mendes who went all the way with havoc and terrorism in London? London in SF is very comparable to Gotham City in TDK.

Am I happy with that? YES, I am. You've god bad copy-paste work, but also near=perfect inspiration that can bring other movies to higher levels. Which IMO was the case with SF.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I found Skyfall superior to all of the Dark Knight films because the characters felt real. In Nolan's movies everyone seems to speak in exposition and that doesn't appeal to me.
  • Murdock wrote: »
    I found Skyfall superior to all of the Dark Knight films because the characters felt real. In Nolan's movies everyone seems to speak in exposition and that doesn't appeal to me.

I agree. And Sam Mendes drama history helps here. Together with wunderful screenplay writing.
    I am sure Sam Mendes will do another teriffic job on Bond 24! I also believe it is only a matter of time until Chris Nolan helms a Bond movie.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I think the only way Nolan will helm a Bondfilm is if Intersteller under-perform on the box-office. As it is now he has unlimited freedom to do what the heck he wants, including original 'passion' projects.
    Murdock wrote: »

I agree. And Sam Mendes drama history helps here. Together with wunderful screenplay writing.

Agreed. And I think the humor helped. Silva was wonderful in the humor department. I can see he was inspired by Nolan's Joker but I thought Silva was a superior villain. Something about him just gave him more menace and charisma.
    MrBond wrote: »
    I think the only way Nolan will helm a Bondfilm is if Intersteller under-perform on the box-office. As it is now he has unlimited freedom to do what the heck he wants, including original 'passion' projects.

He is a huge Bond fan and has already met the producers several times. I believe Nolan will direct a Bond film one day no matter what.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    The problem with Nolan doing a Bond IMO is that he is too big for the franchise.

We're dealing with a franchise that has a 50+ year history in movies, and a longer history in books. One must afford it the proper respect. I don't think he necessarily will.

From what I see about Nolan, he likes to push the envelope completely. He is a visionary and he likes to bring his grand vision to characters. He was able to implement his vision with Batman because of the absolutely horrendous Batman and Robin being the preceding movie that nearly killed the movie franchise (can you believe that unfortunate tripe was part of the same franchise that brought you the original Batman-1989?).

So he was in a good position to create a grand vision with Batman at an opportune time. Also it was an origin story, so he could delve into the character completely with his vision.

With Bond, we've had a very succesful creative and box office run with Craig - and we've already had our origin story. So I don't think EON is going to go for grand changes in vision. I don't think they'll risk another origin story so soon either, or at all again, for fear of duplicating the Amazing Spiderman fiasco.

From what I can see, at most, moving the gun barrel around, removing some cliches and hiring a short, blond, thuggish Bond (but great actor) are as far as they are willing to go. In a way, I agree with that. As long as we have good story characterisations (which we very much do nowadays) we don't need grand visionaries messing with the franchise.

The same would be true if Tarrantino touched Bond, so I'm glad he did not.

Both these guys would be more suited to a Bond 'style' movie......like what Cameron did with True Lies. Perhaps they would also be more appropriate to do a rogue Bond, like NSNA, where they could really go all out. With the rights reverting to EON however, that won't happen.

Keep the original pure, thank you very much.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 11,425
    Isn't Bond big enough now to deal with a bit of tweaking and messing with? To be honest I feel it's been so messed with over the past couple of decades I am almost resigned to never again seeing the kind of Bond movie I want.

If Nolan wants to give a three movie Bond story arc his treatment I think that would great. It doesn't have to be three any way. He could just do one or two. What's the fuss? We have had some truly mediocre directors helm Bond. Even Mendes was not exactly at a career peak when he was offered SF. EON were helping him out as much vice versa.

What are we afraid of? A brilliant director with an amazing visual style wants to direct Bond. Let's give him a go and see what happens! I don't think the staid old formula approach is ever going to fully return (probably a good thing). So why not go with this auteur thing for a while and and see where it takes us?
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    You're correct. I think we're done (thankfully) with the staid old formula approach. EON were too burned with Brosnan's last to repeat that at least this generation.

I am worried about someone pushing the envelope too far however, just because of the franchise's history. Unfortunately, that history is one of the most difficult things to manage. If you push the envelope too far creatively, and then that director leaves, what do you do then? Where do you go from there?

That's the same problem I have with the new Bat/Supes movie. I'm really curious to see how they treat Batman in that one, since it follows Nolan's take.

I'm not averse to it per se, just worried... If you push it too far, then once that director leaves.....you may be forced to keep pushing since you can never go back to status quo (which in Craig's case, I like). Can we really go back to DAD now, after Craig, as an example.

I think Bond is best with small shifts over time, rather than quantum leaps, unless it's been messed up with the last entry (i.e. DAD).
    I don't really see Nolan after Mendes and Craig taking any Quantum Leaps. I suspect in some ways he might be tempted to tone things down a bit. Do a taught, stripped back thriller Bond, ripe with Hitchcockian tension and beautifully stylised, with the top notch production design you expect with Nolan. Even if the film is not great, I'm sure there would be plenty to appreciate. If the guy wants to direct one left him have a go.

I still think it's a bit of a shame Cubby turned down Spielberg. Turning down Nolan would be a similar missed opportunity IMO.

And speaking of Spielberg May be Cubby was right. Back then I think he would have directed Bond as a bit of a cheese fest, but now I think Spielberg could actually direct a really good Bond. Thinking Minority Report and Munich - two excellent mature Spielberg films.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I think we may be underestimating the benefit of having Nolan do a Bond film. He may go big with it, possibly too big in some directions, but there's always that next film to correct a few of the more exuberant elements, and compensate for the lack of other elements. Still, Nolan may be pretty big but he's also capable of showing restraint. I think we can trust him that he would make a Bond film directed by Christopher Nolan, not a Christopher Nolan film featuring James Bond.
    I agree. He would approach it with a lot of thought and care I reckon.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I think we can trust him that he would make a Bond film directed by Christopher Nolan, not a Christopher Nolan film featuring James Bond.
    Getafix wrote:

If you're both right, then I'm all for it. Especially if, as @Getaflix suggests, the following is the case: "I suspect in some ways he might be tempted to tone things down a bit. Do a taught, stripped back thriller Bond, ripe with Hitchcockian tension and beautifully stylised, with the top notch production design you expect with Nolan"
    As long as he doesn't write it, I'm game for him directing one.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 5,767
    Getafix wrote: »
    Isn't Bond big enough now to deal with a bit of tweaking and messing with? To be honest I feel it's been so messed with over the past couple of decades I am almost resigned to never again seeing the kind of Bond movie I want.

If Nolan wants to give a three movie Bond story arc his treatment I think that would great. It doesn't have to be three any way. He could just do one or two. What's the fuss? We have had some truly mediocre directors helm Bond. Even Mendes was not exactly at a career peak when he was offered SF. EON were helping him out as much vice versa.

What are we afraid of? A brilliant director with an amazing visual style wants to direct Bond. Let's give him a go and see what happens! I don't think the staid old formula approach is ever going to fully return (probably a good thing). So why not go with this auteur thing for a while and and see where it takes us?
    Fuss and fear are not about messing with character or formula, but with the fact that Nolan is totally overrated and his last two films were both a mess. Vision alone doesn´t garantuee a good director or film.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I think we can trust him that he would make a Bond film directed by Christopher Nolan, not a Christopher Nolan film featuring James Bond.
    I couldn´t disagree more. Both the aloofness of Nolan´s storytelling and the bleak atmophere predominant in all of his films except his first one, are antithesises to the bright and colorful escapism that has always been a major Bond element. Nolan doesn´t do escapism, he does incapism.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Each to his own but as much as like SF I personally think TDK superior, it obviously influenced SF that being said Nolan's been cribbing from Bond since BB so it seems fair to me.

I really like Bardem as Silva but Ledger was a force of nature in TDK and only Waltz matched that level in QT's Inglourious but as I said each to his own, I'm not going to wait for Nolan to direct but if he did it wouldn't be a problem for me.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    http://www.enstarz.com/articles/50552/20141110/james-bond-24-movie-news-christopher-nolan-may-take-over-soon-interstellar-director-has-had-discussions-video.htm

'James Bond 24' Movie News: Christopher Nolan May Take Over Soon? 'Interstellar' Director Has Had Discussions [VIDEO]
    boldfinger wrote: »

Fuss and fear are not about messing with character or formula, but with the fact that Nolan is totally overrated and his last two films were both a mess. Vision alone doesn´t garantuee a good director or film.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I couldn´t disagree more. Both the aloofness of Nolan´s storytelling and the bleak atmophere predominant in all of his films except his first one, are antithesises to the bright and colorful escapism that has always been a major Bond element. Nolan doesn´t do escapism, he does incapism.

I have my reservations as well, but the DC era has already seen most of that old surreal fun and escapism stripped away. It's not like any if the DC films are a bundle of laughs. SF was visually probably the darkest, drabbest looking Bond movie we've ever had. What's Nolan gonna do that is going to be so utterly different? We're on a Nolanesque trajectory already. Why not try the real deal?

Can the writing be that much worse than P+W? The story might at least have an interesting twist instead of the clunky plotting we got in SF.

I'm all for it. I agree that there are more imaginative and creative routes that could be take , but EON seem a bit of a shambles to be honest. Rather than another four year wait and last minute scrabbling around for a director, appoint Nolan to write and direct B25 now. And let's have it in 2017.
    It's not like any if the DC films are a bundle of laughs

I remember laughing a few times in SF - so did the audience.

Laughing in a good way.