Christopher Nolan wants to direct a Bond

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    (deleted)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,043
    HASEROT wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    The problem some have with Nolan as they can't see past his most recent output but for me Memento is still his best film and I wish he could return to something more low in the future evoking that size of film but I'm more than happy to see him get handed the keys to Bond in the future be it with Craig or his successor.

I not suggesting Nolan is perfect, this is the problem he's been hailed as some new Kubrick by some (he's clearly not) he has his shortcomings. Nolanites as they I believed are called have done no end of damage in their behaviour to whenever he is criticised some of their actions are just ridiculous. I know some aren't going to get on board whatever you say but this knee jerk reaction that he'll just deliver a Bond film like his Bat films is a little hasty.

My only problem with Nolan, is the fanboys - the ones that think he can/should/will direct every single movie, and treat him as though he is the Alpha and Omega when it comes to filmmaking.... it's sad, because i like his films - but the fanboy craze that surrounds him, almost makes me want to hate him and his movies..

It makes me wonder when I hear about their actions, I was a fan before Batman Begins but after Dark Knight he seemed to acquire this band of nut cases so I can see why some think he is vastly overrated, he is if you compare him to the claims of these idiots.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    (deleted)
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 5,767
    Shardlake wrote: »
    The problem some have with Nolan as they can't see past his most recent output
    Ok, let´s look past his recent output:
    imdb lists two films before Memento. I´m not sure if anyone at all has seen those films.
    Memento, I agree with you, is still his best film.
    Insomnia is not worth mentioning in my book.
    BB: Great blockbuster, a little unbalanced here and there, but almost as good as Memento.
    Prestige: Decent, but I don´t feel the need to watch it again.
    TDK: Successful, even though the realistic approach introduced in BB was thrown out the window in many places.
    Inception: Powerful at first sight, on second sight pretty hollow.
    TDKR: A mess.
    Interstellar: Three precious hours of my life wasted. Even sloppier in places than TDKR. I admit I liked the robot humor and the cast.

If at all, I see a decline in quality.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @boldfinger, Nolan's debut film, Following, is actually great. It was made on almost no money but it's of a high overall quality.

I can't agree with some of your statements but then we can easily agree to disagree. ;-)
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,043
    I would have to disagree about Insomnia probably not a cool thing to say and personally I normally would plump for the original language version of this film but like Fincher's Dragon Tattoo I think the Hollywood version is superior.

Both Pacino and Williams in my view are excellent in this and worth watching plus Nolan throws a great chase sequence in as well, the log segment is full of tension. It only drops the ball with it's ending, here the original version betters it but the two leads for me are far more compelling in Nolan's version.

As for Prestige this for me is second only to Memento and tops any of the Bat films & Inception, I also don't get the assumption that Nolan's films lack emotion Mark Kermode was only saying he doesn't understand this comment about his films. Michael Mann gets it but Heat and The Insider have plenty of emotion just not the normal Hollywood sense and as Dimi pointed out Following is a promising debut.

I don't think BB enters the brilliance of Memento and personally TDK was such a step up for me I'm still yet to see a blockbuster get near it. Inception was close and SF had a good stab and this summers Dawn of The Planet of The Apes but Nolan 2nd Bat film remains the bench mark for me in this arena, I'm seeing Interstellar this Saturday so we'll see how I view that. As for BB being more realistic than TDK I don't get that one, especially when BB goes for a far more comic booky approach and TDK is more a sprawling crime epic but each to his own.

TDKR for me is Nolan's worst film but it's still better than the majority of blockbuster that get foisted on us by Hollywood, yes it is a mess and over long . The Marvel films are just empty eye candy in comparison, Avengers now there is one of the most overrated films in recent memory.

Not a big fan of Nolans work, he also suffers from the visual overload and the story comes in second.
    (deleted)
    I still prefer Keaton as Batman. Thought he was really good.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Getafix wrote: »

Me too. Keaton was the best Batman IMO.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote: »

Too much agreement here.... :-O
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »

Too much agreement here.... :-O

It's better than too much disagreement like the Bond24 threads have become. :P
    (deleted)
    My batman ranking (including animated versions). :))

1.Keaton
    2.Conroy
    3.Weller
    4.Kilmer
    5.West
    6.Bale
    7.Clooney.
  • What is going on in this thread? People agreeing that The Dark Knight is overrated and Batman Begins the best of Nolan's Batman films? You guys are my people!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    You guys are my people!
    \m/
    I just fail to see what benefit Nolan could bring to Bond. His dreary, aloof style and his way of storytelling doesn´t appeal to me really. IMO Forster brought a much better result to the table than I would ever expect from Nolan, and Gareth Evans shows much more promise for entertainment than Nolan. I would rather have him do a Bond film. Nolan always busies himself with too ambitious ideas and doesn´t seem to be interested in simple and plain entertainment.
    What excites me about a Nolan Bond is the visual flare he would bring. I don't feel we've had a truly beautifully designed Bond picture for a very long time. Ken Adam brought an architectural sensibility to the production design, something Nolan clearly also understands and appreciates. Plus I do think his style suits Craig's take on Bond.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Keaton was unhinged as Batman. A little psycho. Loved it when he lost it a couple of times.
    What excites me about a Nolan Bond is the visual flare he would bring. I don't feel we've had a truly beautifully designed Bond picture for a very long time. Ken Adam brought an architectural sensibility to the production design, something Nolan clearly also understands and appreciates.
    In which Nolan film is there any architechtural sensibility comparable to Ken Adam?

Well, I for one like to think that Inception, Interstellar, The Prestige and the Dark Knight Trilogy all have pretty good production values.

HOWEVER, is it fair to challenge any filmmaker in the shadow of the great Ken Adam? I'm of the opinion that if we keep waiting for another Adam, Barry, Connery or Llewellyn, we might as well call it a day and never produce another Bond film any more. ;-)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I'm of the opinion that if we keep waiting for another Adam, Barry, Connery or Llewellyn, we might as well call it a day and never produce another Bond film any more. ;-)

Or we can wait until we can clone human beings, thus we can have them do Bond movies again. ;-)
    @DaltonCraig007, me and my cloned Solitaire agree. And now you must excuse me. cloned OddJob and I are having target practice with lethal hats in about 5 minutes. ;-)
    Just seen Interstellar and it's now for me Nolan's most unsatisfying film.

Yes it is visually stunning and McConaughey is good but not on par with his best. Some elements didn't seem explained to me and the ending left me ????? What!! Some lazy writing just didn't convince me of the woolly conclusion. 3/5

Sorry still love TDK don't care about some Guardian critics revaluation of the film and apart from OHMSS I don't find a Bond film as good, just my opinion and the Burton films are so dated. That first one is just a disjointed mess with a hammy Nicholson hijacking every sequence he's in and not in a good way. That film was probably raved about as much when it came out as TDK but we forget that don't we?

I remember the plaudits for it at the time it was only after the dust settled that people noticed it's flaws, at least BB and TDK had a plot!
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited October 2015 Posts: 5,131
    SaintMark wrote: »
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    Please NO, his Batman movies are a depressing lot I do not want to see that happen with 007.

Have you seen any of his other work.. he does more than Batman.

Inception isn't depressing. You know, the film with scenes based on OHMSS.

Actually I have seen all his work and for that reason I can safely say that TDKR will be seen on dvd if at all.
    He does not speak my cinematic language.

Inception is pure class and The Dark Knight is the best Batman film yet....?
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 11,189
    As much as I like TDK (and I've said this before) EVERYONE in the film talks in speeches or like they are having a debate.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    As much as I like TDK (and I've said this before) EVERYONE in the film talks in speeches.

Agreed. That's why I don't want Nolan to write it. I'm fine with him directing but I don't care for his or his Brother's writing.

God i prefer Nolan to stay away from the 007 franchise, I am somewhat fed up with all this navelstaring. And too be honest The first Nolan Batman was a straight forward rip-off job from "The Shadow" the second overrated and the third was a waste of time seeing it. As for inception it did have its moment but was mostly meh, pure fanboy wank.

I would like the next 007 movie to be fun and adventurous without any pretentiousness that is so much the brand of the DC era.