UEFA Euro 2012, June 8th - July 1st

Comments

making hard work of it again Enlgand! Not seen the disallowed Ukraine goal yet! Hilarious Sepp Blatters extra referee's have failed! Nice one England! Now maybe they will FINALLY have goal line technology!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2012 Posts: 15,692
    2-0 for Sweden against France
    And we're through!!!!
    Cannot believe we won the group! :-O lol! Well? Bring on the Italians on Sunday!
    Come on England. I fancy Rooney to do well tonight. I bet he's raring to go!! Got to go for the win, attack, attack, attack!!!

Rooney this Rooney that - pah. Shrek is going to get him sent off within 30 mins.

Well he proved you wrong and scored the goal. Granted, a blind midget could have scored that goal & Rooney wasn't great tonight but he needed a good run out. He'll improve in next game. I was disapointed England ignored my advice to attack attack attack! Oh well England are not pretty to watch but winning games is the the name of the game.
    I honestly expected Rooney to get sent off in the first half. I don't like the guy but I have to give him props for tonight, he wasn't great but hey, he scored at least.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Priceless. World class Ibra finally steps up in a major tournament with a wonder goal.

Trouble is true world class players do it before their team has printed off the Ryanair online check in.

England going about things the right way - start slowly and have the rub of the green. Teams that batter people early on seldom go far - just ask Russia.

Not many will fancy playing us despite how average we look. It's there for the taking.

Come on!!
    Sweden !st goal was a cracker!
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    edited June 2012 Posts: 1,347
    Ibra's goal has to be the most beautiful of the tournament so far. Wow! And the whole minute leading up to it was pure awesomeness. 2-0 against France who haven't lost in 22 (23?) games is a pretty worthy goodbye I must say. If only we hadn't played shit against Ukraine...

Oh well. Good luck to England and France now! (and I think they'll need it against Italy and Spain)

• England played poorly because shrek came back. He was slow and poor. The england team that played against Sweden should have stayed together. Rooney shove it. Our capin was immense again.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Ibra's goal has to be the most beautiful of the tournament so far.

True. But there's being fashionably late to the party and then being so late the host's packing up the paper plates and letting the dog demolish the leftover food. ;) The problem many have with him is his ego, I guess, and for a man who's the clear leader of his side, his goal celebration spoke volumes - would have been more fitting to show a little humility given his side hadn't won the previous two matches and were effectively already out of the tournament, surely, as opposed to adopt a pose akin to a Greek god?

Anyway, on to pleasanter matters... yes, well done, England. Despite not being able to hold on to the ball for longer than 20 seconds, they've managed not only to get through to the Quarters but also top the group. Some achievement that in its way. Italy next - well, we'll have to defend for our lives once more because they're comfortable in possession and quality up front too. Yet, given how well organised and together a team this is, we've certainly a chance of getting through. Which is a nice thing to ponder on. Italy have to be favourites, though. Should be an interesting match, methinks.

And France for Spain? After tonight, don't think a mis-firing Spain'll actually be that daunted by that. Still think Germany's the class act, though. It's them all the way, unless Spain do the business again by passing everyone to sleep and winning by jammy odd goals as they did in the WC (and against Croatia).

Roll on the next round - good tournament so far, no question...! :)
    RogueAgent wrote:
    making hard work of it again Enlgand! Not seen the disallowed Ukraine goal yet! Hilarious Sepp Blatters extra referee's have failed! Nice one England! Now maybe they will FINALLY have goal line technology!

It crossed the line and should have been a goal.
    Platini doesn't want goal line technology.

St_George wrote:
    The problem many have with him is his ego, I guess, and for a man who's the clear leader of his side, his goal celebration spoke volumes - would have been more fitting to show a little humility given his side hadn't won the previous two matches and were effectively already out of the tournament, surely, as opposed to adopt a pose akin to a Greek god?
    Nah the goal celebration was appropriate for a goal like that \:D/

I know many people have problem with his "ego", something I haven't noticed with him the last years. Ibra has grown very mature and takes the captain role with great responsibility. I wish people watched interviews with him to see how he has changed..

Oh well. Doesn't matter anymore, does it?

Too bad I'll miss the friday and saturday games due to Midsummer and a wedding (not that those two things are something bad, but still :D). I would really like to see Germany crush Greece!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Germany has been crushing Greece too much lately, so it's about time Greece gives Merkel a good old' spanking !!
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 2,782
    Germany has been crushing Greece too much lately, so it's about time Greece gives Merkel a good old' spanking !!

Merkel arrives at Athens airport. Passport control ask her 'business or pleasure?'She says business. They go onto ask 'Occupation?' 'no I'm just visiting'. She replies.
    001 wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

It crossed the line and should have been a goal.
    Platini doesn't want goal line technology.

Platini lives in cloud cuckoo land! ;) Blatter has now shifted his position on it and has now said goal line technology is essential! So that will stick it to Platini! \:D/
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Here's hoping we can hold our own against Italy. Could the extra day off help?
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Here's hoping we can hold our own against Italy. Could the extra day off help?

It certainly can't harm us i don't think. We have a better chance of progress against Italy than Spain? But it will be a tough game.
    Sepp - 'Goal line technology is a necessity.'
    You cheeky c**t. Even JT shows more shame than this pitiful tin pot dictator. Unbelievable brass neck on the twat. I really would give a years wages to be allowed one punch right in the middle of his corrupt, bald, fat face.

Here's the Wizards assessment of the state of play for the QFs:

Cz v Por - bet neither of them can believe their luck. I think we'd all settle for playing either of these rather underwhelming teams for a place in the semis.

Ger v Gre - the Wizard feels dirty saying it as it's pretty much treason but I'll be rooting for the Hun to dish out a Fritzl style raping here. Greece are an appallingly limited side (even more so than us) who have only managed to score in this tournament through two goalkeeping howlers and a dismal piece of defending. The Russians must still be scratching their heads as to how this has happened.
    Fair play they do defend doggedly and work hard (ironic considering the fiscal plight their idleness has reduced them to) for each other but I'd rather watch the Villa under Mcleish.
    Forget the championship playoff final or the CL final - this is the big money game. Merkel should be on the blower to that new president ASAP telling him 'your boys had better roll over or you can wave goodbye to your bailout.'

Spa v Fra - Spain looked average and Croatia must be sick they didn't do them. However France looked even worse against Sweden. So who will bounce back best?
    When it comes to bottle and fighting spirit a Spaniard isn't exactly your first choice to be the bloke standing next to you in the trenches but if the only other option is a frog footballer he makes Manuel look like Nelson.

Eng v It - Make no mistake about it; we are f **king awful. Utterly unable to control or pass the ball, totally bereft of creativity and inventiveness, our longest spells of possession are when it's in the air following yet another aimless lump upfield from Hart.
    However we are still here and Roy is playing to our strengths - keep it solid and hit the big man.
    I think Italy look decent but if we stick to the Greece 04 model Roy is obviously assidipusly copying we have a good chance.
    Just get stuck in hard early doors and play the English game and who knows?
    Sepp - 'Goal line technology is a necessity.'
    You cheeky c**t. Even JT shows more shame than this pitiful tin pot dictator. Unbelievable brass neck on the twat. I really would give a years wages to be allowed one punch right in the middle of his corrupt, bald, fat face.

Here's the Wizards assessment of the state of play for the QFs:

Cz v Por - bet neither of them can believe their luck. I think we'd all settle for playing either of these rather underwhelming teams for a place in the semis.

Ger v Gre - the Wizard feels dirty saying it as it's pretty much treason but I'll be rooting for the Hun to dish out a Fritzl style raping here. Greece are an appallingly limited side (even more so than us) who have only managed to score in this tournament through two goalkeeping howlers and a dismal piece of defending. The Russians must still be scratching their heads as to how this has happened.
    Fair play they do defend doggedly and work hard (ironic considering the fiscal plight their idleness has reduced them to) for each other but I'd rather watch the Villa under Mcleish.
    Forget the championship playoff final or the CL final - this is the big money game. Merkel should be on the blower to that new president ASAP telling him 'your boys had better roll over or you can wave goodbye to your bailout.'

Spa v Fra - Spain looked average and Croatia must be sick they didn't do them. However France looked even worse against Sweden. So who will bounce back best?
    When it comes to bottle and fighting spirit a Spaniard isn't exactly your first choice to be the bloke standing next to you in the trenches but if the only other option is a frog footballer he makes Manuel look like Nelson.

Eng v It - Make no mistake about it; we are f **king awful. Utterly unable to control or pass the ball, totally bereft of creativity and inventiveness, our longest spells of possession are when it's in the air following yet another aimless lump upfield from Hart.
    However we are still here and Roy is playing to our strengths - keep it solid and hit the big man.
    I think Italy look decent but if we stick to the Greece 04 model Roy is obviously assidipusly copying we have a good chance.
    Just get stuck in hard early doors and play the English game and who knows?

:)) I love your first paragraph Wizard, but that is a very LONG queue you wanna join!
    Once more a team gets less than it had a right to, with 1-1 I am not so certain England would have made it to the QF. It has to happen to France before I expect any action from Platini. And on the subject of Blatter, he remains in power due to bribing the lesser brother in the FIFA. In my opinion the countries in the top 15 should have more votes than some of those like Liechtenstein. He would be voted out in a flash.

As for the QF

England - Italy, both looked bad in their last game of the poule so I cannot predict who will win. Before the last games I would have said Italy but they were very dissapointing.

Spain - France, I would say on a normal day that it would be Spain that takes home the match.

Czechia - Portugal, I would bet on the Czechs. But that could be my aversion agaisnt Ronaldo & Co.

Germany - Greece, I expect the Greeks to pile 11 men into the goal. So I do hope the Germans go through.
    It's been a tough even matched competition so far.
    I don't know why English fans are giving their team so much crap.
    They are into the last 8 so they must be a good team.
    A lot of people are so negative about the teams and players (rooney,ronaldo) in the final 8.
    Why don't you stop your whingeing and enjoy the finals.
    SaintMark wrote:
    Once more a team gets less than it had a right to, with 1-1 I am not so certain England would have made it to the QF. It has to happen to France before I expect any action from Platini. And on the subject of Blatter, he remains in power due to bribing the lesser brother in the FIFA. In my opinion the countries in the top 15 should have more votes than some of those like Liechtenstein. He would be voted out in a flash.

Listen to SaintMark people for he speaks the truth.

Have a look at this: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_Executive_Committee#section_3

These are the clowns that make the big decisions at FIFA. Just have a look at some of the footballing powerhouse nations who are entitled to have a say.
    Papua New Guinea, Sri Lanka, Jordan? Are you f**king winding me up? It's beyond belief.

As you say SaintMark the big countries should get together and say we're not having blokes from tinpot islands who probably haven't even got tellies to watch the Euros saying we can't have goal line technology just because they are on a retainer from dodgy Sepp.

But of course that would need solidarity from the big countries and you note that France and Germany are both represented here and why would they want to rock the boat when these match altering decisions never go against them? After all who cares about Ukraine getting shafted because absolutely nothing has been done in the 2 years since another team Blatter and Platini hate was screwed over?
  • Little known fact... Danny Welbeck's Dad,
    Stan, is one of the army's top bomb disposal experts.
    Please forgive my American ingorance, but would someone be so kind as to explain to one wanting to expand his sports horizons (i.e. me) what the significance of this tournament is? Isn't the World Cup considered the (pardon my americanisim) "Super Bowl" of socc....er, football?

Grinderman wrote:
    Please forgive my American ingorance, but would someone be so kind as to explain to one wanting to expand his sports horizons (i.e. me) what the significance of this tournament is? Isn't the World Cup considered the (pardon my americanisim) "Super Bowl" of socc....er, football?
    I'd say winning the EC is almost bigger than winning the WC. The greatest teams of the world are mostly in Europe, apart from the obvious Brazil, Argentina and other countries of South America.

But yeah, the World Cup is a larger scale tournament with 32 countries, whereas the European Championship has 16.

So Portugal are through! Was the Ronaldo show again! Can see why Mourinho is staying at Madrid for a little longer!
    While Ronaldo is something special when it comes to football he acts like he does it alone. He is not a bit of a prick but a rather large tosser.
    He's a lot better than he used to be, though. He passes a LOT more and rarely dives. I used to hate him but he's grown on me.
    SaintMark wrote:
    While Ronaldo is something special when it comes to football he acts like he does it alone. He is not a bit of a prick but a rather large tosser.

Ronaldo carries portugal.
    If it wasn't for him they would't have got so far.
    He shows passion when he celebrates goals.
    Wouldn't you do the same if you scored in the finals?

Balotelli and joey barton and others are tossers.