UEFA Euro 2012, June 8th - July 1st

Comments

Come on England!!!!
    We look just as comfortable without the ball as we do with it! COME ON ENGLAND!!!!!!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Just believe boys. We can do this if really want it.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I really don't see England winning this. However, they've played well thus far against Italy.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 2,782
    Young get him off - is he playing for the Italians?

Can't watch extra-time....dear god this heart-breaking...come on England please come on.
    I hate extra time.
  • Another 15 mins and then dreaded Pens. Italy put us out of misery...please.
    Are we SERIOUSLY settling for penalties? X_X
    X_X X_X X_X X_X :!!

aaaah pens....
    oh god! here we go again! X_X
    RogueAgent wrote:
    oh god! here we go again! X_X

have faith...really did i say that. This is England and we're rubbish at Pens in big games phew....come on Joe.

1 - 0 to Italy

Steven to miss...no come on...

He scores....

1 - 1

Come on Joe...

Italy miss yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on England put this away....

Rooney come on you over paid weetabix....

He scores---

2-1 to England.....

Joe do it like Arnie - just do it!!!!!

Italy score

2-2 cheeky blighter - chip down the center...

Come on England...hit the bar

Come on England show us your Heart...

3-2 Italy bugger!

Come on Cole

He saves hit

4-2 to Italy

Come on Joe do it do it...

Italy win.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    oh dear
    Italy deserved it I'm afraid to say.
    When you defend for penalties in extra time? You get what you deserve. We only played for the first 20 mins of a 2 hour game!

RogueAgent wrote:
    When you defend for penalties in extra time? You get what you deserve. We only played for the first 20 mins of a 2 hour game!

Exactly. Italy could and should have won in the first 90 mins.
    Getafix wrote:
    Italy deserved it I'm afraid to say.

You're damn right!
    Great game by Italy, it was a pitty they didn't scored earlier... but thank you Buffon! and that touch of Pirlo in the penalty was just magnificent!
    Very happy for my team and now... against Germany!
    Sorry to say but I was rooting for Italy. Great defending from England though. Italy had so many missed chances throughout the entirety of regulation time. Kind of painful to watch. X_X
    Pathetically inevitable.

And having all the luck as well.

To be fair we're on the same level as Sweden and Russia and they'd be biting your hand off to take it to pens in the QF.

Can only dream of going toe to toe with Spain and the krauts. Italy nothing special and will duly be battered. Only Ronaldo having a blinder preventing a Spa v Ger final.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Pathetically inevitable.

And having all the luck as well.

To be fair we're on the same level as Sweden and Russia and they'd be biting your hand off to take it to pens in the QF.

Can only dream of going toe to toe with Spain and the krauts. Italy nothing special and will duly be battered. Only Ronaldo having a blinder preventing a Spa v Ger final.

Very true. We had pretty much all the luck throughout and still could not take our chances.

We are a technically very ordinary team.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Bit of an admission this, but... I felt a tiny bit happy Italy had won come the final penalty, given they were so superior and, despite our efforts (and especially those of Hodgson, who's clearly the man for the job - big plus there), the gulf in class and ability was achingly obvious from the second half onwards. And had we got to the semi, yes, it would have been a nice change but we'd have probably only been on the end of another absolute drubbing from Germany, which would surely have been more depressing.

Still, at least England gave pretty much their all this time round and two decent semis in prospect - looking forward to them myself... :)
    Congrats to Italy, much better team on the night. Congrats to England also, just a few kicks away from the semis with that team is worth celebrating. Annoying to yet again lost out on pens but as stated by others, we've been spared the Germans who look in top form. I fear as good as Italy can be, they'll be the ones defending for 90 mins against the Germans, hoping to nick it 1-0 or take it to pens. If the Germans score first then Italy may get a spanking themselves.
    SaintMark wrote:
    Spain's fieldgame is unsurpassed in this tournament, their playing together makes everybody looking like a fool or amateur. However they lack a striker with talent.

Rewriting logic yourself aren't you sir? Because of course Villa, Torres and Llorente are all as shit as Heskey aren't they? For some reason the manager seems to think that playing a 4-6-0 formation is a better bet than fielding a striker and I suppose you can't really argue on current results.

I stated that their fieldgame is the best on the tournament and the stats support that. That they do not have a great striker has not stopped them in Africa either.

Anyway you're incorrect in your assertion; my statement is perfectly logical - at the current point in time only 5 teams can win it. That's an unarguable fact.

Still incorrect there were three teams with a chance to win, one has a remote possibility and another a snowballs chance in hell.
    Tonight proved that England lived beyond its means, the only way they could have won was through penalties. And there 4 Italians did not fail.

An entertaining game tonight if you are not English. STill their passion deserves a compliment as does Hodgon who did more for the team tham the English papers gave him credit for. Well played.

And that Panenka by Pirlo as a penalty showed nerves of steel. To be able to do that at such a moment is a sign of sheer class. Which the man did show the whole game.

• Still can't believe it. Young should have been taken off....but Italy were the better team. Stevie G was injured from the second half kick-off and look what happened to England. i feel that he'll announce his retirement after this....what a player.

Congrats to the surrender monkeys who for a change didn't have a reverse gear in their tank.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Indeed congrats to the Italians, but to England as well, as I thought it was a great game to watch. Yes, Italy was better, but it's always better to fight and lose to a better opponent then to have the game stolen by a lesser side. Why they actually were playing to get to the penalties I'll never undrstand though. England's even worse then the Dutch when it comes to shootouts.

Oh well. Looking foreward to Italy vs Germany. Two attacking sides, ought to be a good game. And wondering if the Portugese will stunt, but neither them nor the Spanish I find really appealing, tbh.
    I am now hoping for a Spain V Germany final! That would be a cracker of a game! [-O<
    SaintMark wrote:

Anyway you're incorrect in your assertion; my statement is perfectly logical - at the current point in time only 5 teams can win it. That's an unarguable fact.

Still incorrect there were three teams with a chance to win, one has a remote possibility and another a snowballs chance in hell.
    Tonight proved that England lived beyond its means, the only way they could have won was through penalties.

Sorry I thought we were discussing matters of material fact not your opinion of who had the best chance of winning.

You are entirely correct in that there are only 3 or 4 teams who ever had any chance of winning it but thankfully you're not in charge of UEFA as a tournament featuring Spain, Germany, Italy and then a play off for the final semi final place between Holland and Portugal would be pretty dire.

At the start of the competition there are 50 odd countries and they all have the same opportunity to win it as one another. If Andorra, San Marino or even England win all the matches they play they win the tournament no matter how much you think they have no chance.
    At the point I made my statement only 5 countries could win it and until the last Italian penalty went in there were still 5. The fact that you, and indeed I, believe that there's no way England could ever beat Italy, then Germany, then Spain is just opinion and entirely irrelevant.
    You said it yourself "could" win it, was more a case of wishfull thinking.

And when it comes to the Dutch, I never believed they would survive the poule-fase. But even I was flabbergasted how poor they turned out to be. And the blame game has begun in the Netherlands, rightfully so I would say. I blame the trainer, his staff and all of the players. O:-)
    SaintMark wrote:
    You said it yourself "could" win it, was more a case of wishfull thinking.

And when it comes to the Dutch, I never believed they would survive the poule-fase. But even I was flabbergasted how poor they turned out to be. And the blame game has begun in the Netherlands, rightfully so I would say. I blame the trainer, his staff and all of the players. O:-)

Yeah at least we went out with heads held higher than the squabbling Dutch and the pathetically gutless frogs - who have squads packed with talent we can only dream of.

At the end of the day we have a very average set of players with at a pinch 2 world class players in Hart and Ashley Cole. The rest are decent enough pros but on the world stage, unlike the champions league when they are surrounded by quality foreign players, they have shown time and again they just aren't very good. Even Ukraine played us off the park and our lack of posession over the 3 and a half games told in the end when from 50 minutes in we were dead on our feet and hanging on for pens.

I think it's safe to say that any country who can find a place for Downing in their squad is never going to trouble the business end of the tournament!
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    edited June 2012 Posts: 1,347
    jackdagger wrote:
    Sorry to say but I was rooting for Italy. Great defending from England though. Italy had so many missed chances throughout the entirety of regulation time. Kind of painful to watch. X_X
    Completely agree. If England had won lucky on the penalty shoot-out, I'd feel so bad for the Italians after all those chances. Worthy winners for sure, but they won't match Germany.