UEFA Euro 2012, June 8th - July 1st

Comments

RogueAgent wrote:
    When you defend for penalties in extra time? You get what you deserve. We only played for the first 20 mins of a 2 hour game!

I agree. I think we were lucky to survive for that long tbh. Ah well.
    Still can't believe it. Young should have been taken off....but Italy were the better team. Stevie G was injured from the second half kick-off and look what happened to England. i feel that he'll announce his retirement after this....what a player.

Congrats to the surrender monkeys who for a change didn't have a reverse gear in their tank.

Agree about Young. But I don't think Stevie will be retiring just yet.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-news/liverpool-fc/2012/06/25/liverpool-fc-skipper-steven-gerrard-wants-to-captain-england-to-2014-world-cup-55578-31258741/
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    SaintMark wrote:
    And that Panenka by Pirlo as a penalty showed nerves of steel. To be able to do that at such a moment is a sign of sheer class. Which the man did show the whole game.

Pirlo is a fantastic footballer. A genius. Probably the best player in the world in his position.

I'm neutral in this since my team did not qualify for EURO, and I also think Italy deserved to win. I know you guys are waiting for a trophy since 1966, but being in the top 8 isn't so bad.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Damn, oh well. Better luck for us next time... Holding Italy off was just not enough.

Germany vs Spain should be a great final.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 2,782
    jackdagger wrote:
    Sorry to say but I was rooting for Italy. Great defending from England though. Italy had so many missed chances throughout the entirety of regulation time. Kind of painful to watch. X_X
    Completely agree. If England had won lucky on the penalty shoot-out, I'd feel so bad for the Italians after all those chances. Worthy winners for sure, but they won't match Germany.

Sorry for the Italians? - Did you see how much cheating was going on in that match? That ref was blind and the Italians are a bunch of diving cheats. It's the first, I can remember, tournament that they have been falling over for the fun of it.

Any way their whole domestic game is one big cheat - bribes are common place. The Italians should have never been allowed in the Euros, cheating diving bribe taking surrender monkeys.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    jackdagger wrote:
    Sorry to say but I was rooting for Italy. Great defending from England though. Italy had so many missed chances throughout the entirety of regulation time. Kind of painful to watch. X_X
    Completely agree. If England had won lucky on the penalty shoot-out, I'd feel so bad for the Italians after all those chances. Worthy winners for sure, but they won't match Germany.

Sorry for the Italians? - Did you see how much cheating was going on in that match? That ref was blind and the Italians are a bunch of diving cheats. It's the first, I can remember, tournament that they have been falling over for the fun of it.

Any way their whole domestic game is one big cheat - bribes are common place. The Italians should have never been allowed in the Euros, cheating diving bribe taking surrender monkeys.

Lovely stuff forgotmyusername.

Treasonous though it may be I'll be rooting for the Hun from here on in - someone's got to stop the axis of greasy, diving Latino cheats.

That's right people you read it here first - the Wizard will be breaking out the lederhosen and sauerkraut on wednesday. I'm ashamed of myself.
    As for my country's team, their results on the field and their attitude outside the field, there's only one word that applies to them:

"WANKERS !!!!!!"
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    edited June 2012 Posts: 1,347
    jackdagger wrote:

I think we watched different games. I watched one in which one team, Italy, played great football and should have won at least 3-0 after full time against a slow England, though defending well. They didn't dive any more than any other team, that's just such an old cliché and excuse.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The Italians did hold the shirts of England players in the box, mind. Nearly all the time in fact. The ref should have done something about that or at least have been told it was going on.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 940
    Out of 4 games, we won 2 and drew 2 over 90 minutes. But in reality, we didn't even have one truly decent performance.

vs. France - an average performance and fortunate not to lose. A draw was just about fair.
    vs. Sweden - rode our luck in a thrilling game but extremely close to embrassing ourselves.
    vs. Ukraine - fortunate to get all three points.
    vs. Italy - we had a decent 20 minutes in the 1st half then lost all grip on the game.

Over all, we defended pretty well throughout the tournament but nice free flowing attacking football was down to an absolute minimum. Stress factor was at its usual high throughout. The joys of being an English supporter...
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited June 2012 Posts: 1,699
    After the match, Alan Shearer on the Beeb posited that England are about seventh or eighth in the world. And while that seems rather a dubious claim given how we played during this tournament, it's probably accurate.

Clearly, the four semi-finalists are ahead of us - if we played them each ten times, seven times they'd probably beat us and totally out-play us every time - and it's probably fair to say Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay are ahead of us too and would probably out-play us most of time too. France and Holland should be ahead of us as well, but both are in disarray at present, it seems.

Which leaves us with England, who are devoid of real creativity, but probably capable of beating every other international team most of the time (especially when applying themselves as much as they can, as they did in Euro 2012). In which case, to think we're around the eighth best team in international football right now is - in its way - something of a silver lining. In its way... ;)
    jackdagger wrote:
    Disagree totally. Ze germans didn't really play that well against either Denmark or Portugal. Their midcenter, Scweinsteiger (how's that for a name) is no match for Pierlo, who played an absolutely amazing tournament so far.

It will be a very tight game.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Zekidk wrote:
    jackdagger wrote:
    Disagree totally. Ze germans didn't really play that well against either Denmark or Portugal. Their midcenter, Scweinsteiger (how's that for a name) is no match for Pierlo, who played an absolutely amazing tournament so far.

It will be a very tight game.

It could well be (which is why I'm looking forward to it - same with the other semi), but if the Germans play anywhere near their best, I suspect they'll have too much going forwards for Italy...
    Without a doubt the better team got through! It would have been an embarrassment had we got through? And could you imagine the cricket score had we played Germany trying to defend for 70 of the 90 minutes? No thank you! :-t
    Is this still underway, anyone won a title yet?

I said from the start that Italy would do well and I remember saying they could even win this and so far that may yet come to pass. England are one of the best soccer sides on the planet right now apparently so they must have done well and if they can overcome them than anything can happen, I don't think anything can stand between them and their title now, they usually do well in tournaments. I think supporters should be quietly confident

Buona Fortuna e Spero che vada bene

italy-flag.jpg
    England are one of the best soccer sides on the planet right now apparently so they must have done well and if they can overcome them

]

Ha, ha. Youre really not joking when you say you don't know much about football are you Baltimore?
    England are one of the best soccer sides on the planet right now apparently so they must have done well and if they can overcome them

]

Ha, ha. Youre really not joking when you say you don't know much about football are you Baltimore?

=))
    Bound to be an interesting match today. I heard the last time Spain played Portugal it was a friendly in November, and Portugal won 4-0, Spain's worst defeat in 47 years.

Makes me want to pretend I'm sick so I can leave work early to watch it. ;))
    Should certainly be two VERY interesting semi finals! Looking forward to both of them!
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 1,817
    In an hour, Barça-Real... ehm sorry, Spain-Portugal.
    I wish the final will be Spain-Italy.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I'm hoping for a Portugal-Germany final.
    Portugal and Germany have already played against each other last week, since they were in the same group, so I'm hoping for Italy-Portugal. Ronaldo vs Pierlo could be fascinating.
    Certainly a positive start by Portugal. I am hoping for a Spain - Germany final.
    Bah, another extra time game.. I should sleep ~:>
    Jesus how tedious was that?

How come when Greece have a one dimensional tactic of nicking a 1-0 everyone slates them but when Spain do it it's amazing. I'm sick of tiki taka its as dull and unadventurous in its way as the Greeks hoofing it all night. Where the f**k is a goal coming from here?

Shameful to say I'm backing the krauts - at least they have a f**king go.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Come on Spain. I just can't stand Nani and Ronaldo.
    Hoping for a Spain vs Germany final.
    Benny wrote:
    Come on Spain. I just can't stand Nani and Ronaldo.
    Hoping for a Spain vs Germany final.
    Seconded sir. There's not one aspect of Ronaldos character that doesn't make me want to punch him.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Thought of coming here to relax, this game is ruining my nerves ~X(

I though I hated Ronaldo (most of the times) but I can see there are far worst cases than mine!

@TheWizardOfIce at least he's a Bond fan.
    Portugal were the better of the two foe sheer effort in taking the game to Spain! Congrats to them!
    Ronaldo - what an arrogant little prick. W**ker wanted to go last and grab all the glory. Team game arsehole - think about that on the plane, a good player doesn't send up all his less talented team mates first.
    @TheWizard, ease down on the swearing, hiding them in asteriks doesn't help!