UEFA Euro 2012, June 8th - July 1st

Comments

Good second half so far for Ukraine against Sweden.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Ukraine winning should be good news for England too. I'm sure we can beat Sewden and Ukraine when the time comes.
    Well i have to say good result for England. And i have to say fairplay to Shevchenko! Took both goals well!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    A lesson to Ibrahimovic in how world class players step up to the plate. All well and good scoring hattricks against Chievo and Lecce but this is where the proper top players deliver.

Stunning stuff from Shevvy and big time charlie Zlatters had nothing in his locker except a 3 yard tap in - although to be fair the flick for Elmander was stunning but then its his fault they were behind as he hasnt got a clue where Shevvy is on the 2nd goal.

Squeaky bum time now in this group - think we need to do Sweden as I dont fancy having to beat the Ukraine in the last match.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    edited June 2012 Posts: 1,347
    Don't agree with you there Wizard, Ibra was pretty much the only good Swedish player. He gave us the goal and had two more chances where the Ukrainian goalkeeper was lucky (goal post head and the very hard volley).

Not his job to keep an eye on Shevvy on corners, someone else was totally lost. And the defender leaving the front post un-covered (Lustig) is the one to blame the most. Guarding that position on corners is something you learn at age 7 in football school, such a ball shall never go in.

Shevvy played really good though and Ukraine deserved to win (France & Ukraine might very well advance).
    Russia-Poland will be good to see tomorrow, the other match will be allright too I hope. Russia will probably score 3 or 4 goals I think. They impressed me against Czech Republic.

The team I root for apart from Sweden (Italy) had a good game and I'm happy about the result and the performance against Spain. Cassano did well and Di Natale should start against Croatia with Balotelli as a sub. And Torres showed his class (apart from his unlucky finishing), Spain became 10 times more lethal when he came on. Perhaps Del Boscue should consider starting Llorente against Ireland & Croatia, with Torres as a suber sub? The striker-less formation wasn't really satisfactory, was it? Torres is great at creating chances and making good runs, his finishing is on and off though.

England-France was the most boring game I´ve seen since Spain faced Saudi Arabia in the 2006 WC. Atleast the first half was awful to watch. I was impressed by Gerrard's assist and defensive play, though, aswell as Ribery's performance.

Sweden-Ukraine wasn't that much more entertaining than the England-France game, but I'm happy about the fact that Shevchenko scored 2 goals. If we (Sweden) had to lose, it was this way and it didn't feel bad at all. I just applaude the greatness of Sheva.
    I hope he will be a jinx to France and England as well. :D
    Ibra on the other hand had an ok game, the goal wasn't something to brag about, hoards of players would have scored from there. He could have scored atleast another and the pass to Elmander was impressive. But Shevchenko was clearly the star this evening. I'm very happy for him.

Now, please Italy, win this tournament! Forza Italia!
    I unfortunately am at work during all the weekday games. I did catch a few minutes of the France/England match during my lunch break, though. But I'm almost glad to hear that it was boring.

(I also noticed for the first time that "RESPECT" is an anagram of "SPECTRE".)
    jackdagger wrote:
    I unfortunately am at work during all the weekday games. I did catch a few minutes of the France/England match during my lunch break, though. But I'm almost glad to hear that it was boring.

(I also noticed for the first time that "RESPECT" is an anagram of "SPECTRE".)

Lol! That is a great spot!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Well, I can't see too many games, but as the Dutch are up tomorrow again I'll be seeing that in the pub tomorrow night. Must say though that I didn't think the team was playing that badly, it was just the strikers missing their focus. Otherwise the Danes would've been run over. All the same, they did ery well and tbh, there's worse teams to lose from. The Germans have been making so much fun about the Dutch side that tension is mounting. And I think they've been foolish and premature to do so. The Dutch prefer the underdog role anyway, especially when it comes to our eastern neighbours. So, we'll see.

If we're out, I'm rooting for Croatia. And Denmark as well. Both such lovely nations with nice people and teams that play very decent, if not good football. I see the chechs have won from Greece, and Poland-Russia is still 1 all. Interesting!
    Polish captain took his goal well!
    RogueAgent wrote:
    indeed! nice one.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    indeed! nice one.

Thought out of all the games i have seen so far? That was the most entertaining one yet. Have high hopes for the Germany V Holland game!
    Tonight we will see the goodbye of the Dutch team. In 2010 the team became second in the World Championship because they have great players. In 2012 they were eliminated because their trainer is just not good enough for such players. What a waste of such a talented group of players.
    come on holland! you're suppose to win the entire thing this year was my plan!
    Goal for Germany. The writing is on the wall now!
    Tough Holland.. Tough.. Well-deserved win for Germany though, what a machine.

And I'm glad to see at least one good Swede in this championship, the referee ;)
    Another good performance from the Germans! I would suggest they could be the team to threaten Spain in this competition?
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Another good performance from the Germans! I would suggest they could be the team to threaten Spain in this competition?

They'd better win that last game as well, if they lose from Denmark and Portugal wins there is still a distinct possibility that the Germans will tarvel home with the Dutch.

O:-)
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited June 2012 Posts: 1,699
    Kind of frightening how class an act Germany were tonight. Less flair and fireworks from them there, more ruthless efficiency and maturity (and that's from a pretty young team too). They allowed Holland to throw all they could at them and soaked it up while purring in midfield and up front when they needed to - and took their two outstanding chances to win the match, of course. The sort of performance you see from a very good international side in the knockout stages rather than the group stage. Ironically, rather like how Holland played in the past World Cup actually.

Could the Germans go all the way? Absolutely. Will they? Quite probably...
    SaintMark wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

They'd better win that last game as well, if they lose from Denmark and Portugal wins there is still a distinct possibility that the Germans will tarvel home with the Dutch.

Now that would be a freak event! :)) Germany will be too strong for Denmark so i think so i would assume they will be safe!
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 7,653
    RogueAgent wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Now that would be a freak event! :)) Germany will be too strong for Denmark so i think so i would assume they will be safe!

One red card can change everything.

Did I mention that the Dutch still have dreamteam, to bad they are still asleep.

The last time the Dutch defended so badly against the Germans we were occupied for 5 years.

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    SaintMark wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Did I mention that the Dutch still have dreamteam, to bad they are still asleep.

The last time the Dutch defended so badly against the Germans we were occupied for 5 years.
    And yet you blame it all on the trainer, wheras I saw a slow (too old?) Van Bommel let his attacker free as a bird, and same goes for Matthijsen. When finally Van Bommel was replaced the team stood up again, but it was too late (allthough Van Persie finally made his goal).
    But kudo's to the Germans and their efficiency, indeed! Let's see what the final round brings us. If the Germans win and the Dutch do as well with at least 2-0 they both go through. If the Germans lose and the Portugese win it's beye beye Germany. Love it that still in all the pools allmost everyone can make it to the finals.
    That was like the Torres of old! Wonder what will happen with him at Chelsea? Seeing as they brought a NEW striker?
    SaintMark wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

And yet you blame it all on the trainer, wheras I saw a slow (too old?) Van Bommel let his attacker free as a bird, and same goes for Matthijsen. When finally Van Bommel was replaced the team stood up again, but it was too late (allthough Van Persie finally made his goal).

I have always found this trainer lacking, with such an amount of talent he still wants to play his system regardless of their personal qualities. In 2010 they played well because their talent got them there regardless of the system. Now his bloody system did not work because indeed some folks are past their date (van Bommel being his son-in-law and captain??? Bouma and Matheisen), and the talented younger folks are left in reserve. And a player the trainer fancies that has barely played a game last season gets prefered over folks that did play all season and very well too (Emanuelson). Robben on the right flank is as predictable as Cheryl COle turning me down for a snog. Van Persie is a shadow striker and Huntelaar a striker (two of the topscoring strikers, but you know what we change their special skills for this team. What a surprise when it doesn't work).

The choices and the system of the traimer has annoyed me for a long time, and it is good to see that the reuslts finaly show his limits. Any decent club should think twice before hiring this guy, unless you have a not so special team in that case the man with his systems could do perhaps something for you.

And to be fair The germans deserve reaching the next round as do Portugal & Denmark, the Netherlands still have that chance but It would be awefull and undesereved if they made it to the next round.

So, Italy still stands a chance with this score. Only the Irish are sure to leave the competition. Well ,they never stood much of a chance anyhow and they did their best!
    So, Italy still stands a chance with this score. Only the Irish are sure to leave the competition. Well ,they never stood much of a chance anyhow and they did their best!

Yep, but the Spanish have yet failed to show the difference with goals. I think Spain and Croatia will probably go on to the next round. WHich is a shame since I quite enjoyed the Italian team for a change.
    Sadly it looks like Ireland are heading home. Too slow in getting started like the first half.
    Okay 4-0 is the kind of result one who expect beforehand.
    I thought Italy would win this tourney and it appears they're struggling, not won a game yet even?, I think they must win next or it's an early flight back to Rome. The Irish have done well before and I remember they beat Italy in New York when the world cup came to the states in '94 but not sure how good they are now, seem to be having a few problems over there but if they got beat by Spain, there's no disgrace in that

Think the next World Cup will be in Brazil next time, the host country will surely be favorites for that
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 2,782
    I would say one thing for the Irish....they are indeed Irish.

Polish fans have been officially warned that if they cause any more trouble during Euro 2012 they will be deported back to the UK.