UEFA Euro 2012, June 8th - July 1st

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    SaintMark wrote:
    Indeed if only when they can do the fandango over Ronaldo and his cronies faces I'll be happy enough.

And Commander Ross we do have some of the best players in the world but our couch has some strange ideas of using them. He is still in favor of using his son in law and Hongkong Phoey de Jong (who is in essence anti-football in person) O:-)

Perhaps, but he did get the team to the finals of the WC, so I guess he's supposedly right. (and as a Feyenoord fan, I'm a bit of a fan of Van Marwijk as well).

I would be very happy though if he had left De Jong back home. oh well, tomorrow we're on!

My bets:

Group A
    Greece
    Russia

Group B
    The Netherlands
    Germany

Group C
    Spain
    Italy

Groud D
    France
    England
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Surprisingly decent first match - the first time I've been entertained by Greece and it wasn't by their economics.

Poland should be kicking themselves but in the end lucky to get a point.

However I don't think either team will be troubling the business end of the tournament - I reckon even England could turn them over.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    Wow, Holland fell for Denmark. This will be interesting.

Well done Danes!
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 7,653
    Indeed congrats Denmark.

Now the Dutch will have to win the next two games to keep in the tournament. I actually figured the Germans to win this tournament.

Perhaps van Marwijk will now finally understand that Van Persie is a shadow striker while Huntelaar is the real striker .
  • Roben is such a selfish player - love it that the Danes won love it - jammy Germanys as usual.
    I was pleasantly surprised by Denmark's win! That goal seemed to come out of nowhere. It was lovely.

Both Portugal and Germany did not seem to be in their top shape. I'm glad Germany won, they deserved it (especially because of that goal early on that was discarded due to the fowl), but I thought they would have done much better than they did.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    On yesterday's games it was nice to see the poles made it to the match after their flights from heathrow
    Damn Germans. Cost me 20 quid.
    I'll have a look at the soccer thread even if I don't know who's fully involved or what entirely is going on, what do they win with this, a champs of Europe honor or something, seems like a big event

The Netherlands seem like a decent side from what I can ascertain, got to the World Cup Final two years ago if I remember, so there was a surprise today, hope they can get back into it and make some progress. Germany seem a good side, and usually do well. I have no idea who will be winners with this, I've read reports that France and Germany could be favorites so that makes a certain amount of sense

heh, I don't know much about soccer, but reading above, a member has said - 'A goal early on was not allowed due to a fowl', did a chicken run on the field and get involved ? - (think you meant 'foul') ; - )
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 3,169
    Wow, Holland fell for Denmark. This will be interesting.

Well done Danes!
    Dutch coach before: "Anything besides winning the competition will be a major dissapointment for us"
    :))
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited June 2012 Posts: 1,699
    Yup, intriguing opening two days. I was out on Friday night so missed the lion's share of the first two matches, while yesterday's weren't a hell of a lot of cop really, so haven't exactly lucked out with Euro 2012 yet. Still, interesting results and surprising neither the - surely rightly - much fancied Dutch or Germans got anywhere near to setting the world on fire.

But will Spain reign today? What will they be like this tournament - can they really win three major tournaments on the bounce? They opened with a loss at the WC two years ago, if I remember correctly, actually. And will Italy have recovered from their highly disappointing WC last time out, or will they be shafted this time by the match-rigging scandal back home? Potentially fascinating tie in prospect that one.

And then it's the Irish up against Croatia tonight before we'll all watching England through our hands tomorrow (well, those of us of an Anglo-Saxon persuasion anyway). Love it when the Irish get to a tournament, love it. Come on, the boys from the Emerald Isle...! :)
    The luck of the Irish was not with them tonight sadly. Anyway I'm looking forward to the big one tomorrow between England and France. Come on England!!!! (In hope rather than expectation!)
    The luck of the Irish was not with them tonight sadly. Anyway I'm looking forward to the big one tomorrow between England and France. Come on England!!!! (In hope rather than expectation!)

While I do like the spirit of the Irish they lacked for the rest most of the necessary skills to really hurt the Croatians. ANd next up Italy & Spain, I guess they are there for target practice.

SaintMark wrote:

While I do like the spirit of the Irish they lacked for the rest most of the necessary skills to really hurt the Croatians. ANd next up Italy & Spain, I guess they are there for target practice.

I agree. Sadly it's most likely over for them already. Spain will beat them and best against Italy would be a draw in my opinion.
    SaintMark wrote:

I agree. Sadly it's most likely over for them already. Spain will beat them and best against Italy would be a draw in my opinion.

You did see the match earlier this evening?- The Italians were playing football against the Spanish, they did not play their usual counterfootball. Against Ireland they have far less worries so they probably can go all out, I fear that the Irish will go home with sero points.

But then again I fear that the Dutch will suffer the same fate, zero points. After the match yesterday they lack a realistic self-image and will muddle on. If they play the same team system as they did yesterday the Germans will bury them, and rightfully imho.
    Quite late now it's started, but here's my shot.

Group A
    Poland - q
    Greece
    Russia - q
    Czech Republic

Group B
    The Netherlands
    Denmark
    Germany - q
    Portugal - q

Group C
    Spain - q
    Italy - q
    Ireland
    Croatia

Groud D
    Ukraine
    Sweden
    France - q
    England - q (wishful thinking perhaps)

• St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    The one on the street right now (and when I say 'street' I obviously mean Twitter) is that Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain may be starting for England v France tonight. A bold choice on Hodgson's part that would be is putting it mildly...
    Is that the youngster @St_George? Who knows, maybe he'll do an Owen :)

I'm really looking forward to today's matches, obviously!
    I'm hoping England win but expecting them to lose.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Nothing less than a draw please. Just over an hour to go. Best of luck, England!
    Come on then England! Turn up first game for once! Best of luck!
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Lescott you beauty!
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Nasri... X(
    Boring game 80 of the 90 minutes, but I guess both teams are happy with the draw (since they probably see themselves as the two best teams of the group).

45 min left, go Sweden!
    The-Swedish-flag-blurb.jpg
    Good show, England did not lose. Now a draw with Sweden and Ukraine would be the icing on the cake.
    Good result for England, I can see them having every chance to qualify for the knock- out stages now. Always hopeful!
    Embarrassing so far. Hello 4th place in group \:D/
    The group may be all square with a point each. That would be very good - for everyone.
  • Two great headed goals so far the ukr legend. I fear for England now. Must win against Sweden and ukr.