The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Sorry, just realised this was the wrong thread but I do enjoy Brosnan
    As Bond.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited January 2015 Posts: 5,080
    This is getting ridiculous now. What do people not grasp about an appreciation thread?

Why do people post contrary in an appreciation thread? It is just baiting for an argument, and to spread even more of the vitriol that the actor at hand receives on a daily basis elsewhere on the forum. Take it elsewhere. I will provide you with appropriate links as necessary.

If you can't adhere to simple forum policy, to respect the wishes of the thread creator, then I really think that further action should be taken. This isn't the first time.

The aim of this thread, taken from the very first post-

Basically, if you're a fan of Brosnan and his Bond films and you'd like to find a thread where you can discuss how you enjoy his films without somebody butting in and making a joke about how bad they were, this is the thread for you. Could also talk about some of the great films he's done outside of Bond, like The Matador.

There is no interpretation of this. Appreciation only.
    It would be nice for fans of certain actors to have a little Haven, away
    From the attacks on other threads. To come and see a little love for them.
    Before having to face the attacks on them on other threads.
    So I'm in agreement. Save the appreciation threads for ...... Appreciation.
    Wait a minute, I've listed what I think works well in the Broz films as well as what doesn't, just like I've listed what works badly in the Connery films as well. Critical thinking is not hating. If some of you don't like my posts, just ignore 'em, but censoring other people should not be permitted.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Wait a minute, I've listed what I think works well in the Broz films as well as what doesn't, just like I've listed what works badly in the Connery films as well. Critical thinking is not hating. If some of you don't like my posts, just ignore 'em, but censoring other people should not be permitted.

I agree that you should not be censored for your comments to date on this thread @doubleohdad. That would be a little excessive. However perhaps this is not the place for critical thinking. It's a sensitive crowd here.
    Not sensistive, just common sense. Appreciation threads are supposed to be safe havens for fans of certain aspects of the series, where they can indulge till their heart is content in the things they love.

"Bad is bad, regardless"- its this sort of thing.

Can @thelivingroyale, thread creator, clarify the purpose of this thread?
    Yes, but he's right that he should not be censored for it because he has commented on the films so far, not Brosnan personally. One should change the thread title to be more clear and include films if we're being pedantic. I'll agree that it's not proper etiquette but calling for censoring is too much IMO.
    I would have thought "Pierce Brosnan Appreciation" would encompass his films as well.
    Not censoring, he can post what he wants in other threads. Of which there are multiple.
    Let's keep the Appreciation treads for Love ! :x
    He was the man who defined Bond for me growing up.

I'll always appreciate him.

Even now when I see his face on posters I think of Bond.
    I still remember the excitement after waiting so long after LTK, to see
    Bond back in the cinema. Pierce was suave and funny, witty with
    The one liners, and looked good in the fight scenes. I left the cinema on
    A high, Bond was Back and better than ever ! ^:)^
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Let's keep the Appreciation treads for Love ! :x

No doubt.
    DrGorner wrote: »
    I still remember the excitement after waiting so long after LTK, to see
    Bond back in the cinema. Pierce was suave and funny, witty with
    The one liners, and looked good in the fight scenes. I left the cinema on
    A high, Bond was Back and better than ever ! ^:)^

100% agree with this. GE was spectacular in every way for me.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited January 2015 Posts: 17,694
    Better looking than Connery, nicer hair than Lazenby, tougher than Moore. Brosnan was a spectacular Bond IMO. :D
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited January 2015 Posts: 12,459
    Appreciation for Brosnan includes his films. So I can say, truthfully here, that there are parts of TWINE that bug me but I still really enjoy the great PTS. I'm not being specifically, detailed critical of the film, taking it apart, or denigrating Brosnan. It astounds me to have to clarify any further - as @thelivingroyale, @MayDayDiVicenzo, @chrisisall, myself and others have done time and again - that an appreciation thread is for appreciation only.

So, saying "bad is bad" and it is just "critical thinking" does not belong on this thread. You are continuing to be truly disrespectful to this community, this forum, and for sure this particular thread if you persist in saying negative things here on an appreciation thread, @doubleohdad. No, it is not enough for you to say your "critical thinking" negatives and that we should ignore you. You should be the one staying off this thread, period, unless you have something positive to say. This goes for any appreciation thread. Many times what you have said is not acceptable on an appreciation thread.

There does not need to be any further clarification in the title of appreciation threads. They are for appreciation. Detailed criticism, negatives, and debates - take them to other threads, for which there are plenty.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,189
    I used to really like TWINE. When I last saw it I thought it was ok but I can understand why it's criticised. Parts are decent, I really like the final moments with Bond and Q as well as the verbal confrontation with M and Renard but parts are kind of bad (Denise Richards, Brosnan's occasional overracting and the dodgy dialogue).

As a whole it lacks...punch. Nonetheless I'd take it over several other films.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Brosnan like Fiennes had been a Bond fan all his life. Brosnan's Bond revived the series and made Bond cool again after the dreadful poorly made Dalton films...

If it wasn't for Brosnan's films and the producers learning from them we wouldn't be here today.

True Brosnan like Dalton deserved way better... Brosnan wanted to do way more with the character but they never did.

I just hate to see so much hate for a fellow fan
    What I really love the best about TWINE are the scenes of Bond with Q. :)
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    .... after the dreadful poorly made Dalton films.....

You and I need to duke this out somewhere else
    What I really love the best about TWINE are the scenes of Bond with Q. :)
    That look of goodbye Desmond gives Brosnan as he's lowered genuinely gets a tear out of me every time. They had a great relationship.

Brosnan had - I think undoubtedly - the very best chemistry with Q. And the writers wisely gave them a few more lines to work with, too. So good in TND, also.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Brosnan had - I think undoubtedly - the very best chemistry with Q. And the writers wisely gave them a few more lines to work with, too. So good in TND, also.

So true. Looking back now, the dialogue between Q and Bond in TWINE almost makes me want to cry :P

In a good way, of course. The two had amazing chemistry in all their movies, and that this was basically his last dialogue with Bond really hits close to home.

"You aren't retiring soon, are you?"

"I've always tried to teach you two things. First, never let them see you bleed."

"And the second?"

"Always have an escape plan."

:')
    edited January 2015 Posts: 12,459
    I know; it is so poignant, isn't it? Then he goes down thru the trap door in the floor.
    The older films did not use Q as much, although in FYEO it is nicely done. I think the warmth and respect that Pierce had with Desmond was real and really shines through.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Yes but watching that and knowing Llewellyn's tragic death not that far in the future is saddening and surreal.

Yes, Me too. That scene now always brings a tear to my eye.
    It seems so poignant now.
    One of the best scenes in the series.
    I'd just like to add that I agree that is one of the series' best scenes, and simply incredible how that ended up being his departure. It's what I remember The World is Not Enough for the best. There'll never be a better Q as far as I'm concerned.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    There'll never be a better Q as far as I'm concerned.
    Agreed. Not the young man Q was grooming (TWINE, DAD), nor the baby in the reboot (SF).
    In many ways, Desmond was more iconic than the actors who played Bond....
    :-?
    BAIN123 wrote: »

So was Connery, but there's stuff in his films that do not hit the mark either, and I've stated that as well. Bad is bad refers to all films. I've stated that GE is one of the best Bond films ever made, but the other films were imperfect and there's no reason that stuff can't be discussed openly. I think PB tried to make good Bond films, and I thank him at least for not allowing his films to fall into the realm of parody.
    I think PB tried to make good Bond films, and I thank him at least for not allowing his films to fall into the realm of parody.
    Brosnan was a full producer on his films? Wow, you learn stuff every day here...
    BAIN123 wrote: »

So was Connery, but there's stuff in his films that do not hit the mark either, and I've stated that as well. Bad is bad refers to all films. I've stated that GE is one of the best Bond films ever made, but the other films were imperfect and there's no reason that stuff can't be discussed openly. I think PB tried to make good Bond films, and I thank him at least for not allowing his films to fall into the realm of parody.

But why do you want to discuss it specifically in this thread, when there a multiple other appropriate threads?

Baiting much?