The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

Not his fault. Eon hired pretty bland directors after Campbell. TWINE in particular needed a firmer hand, not someone who is going to hand off the action stuff completely to the stunt people, which is always a mess when that happens.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    @Murdock, after my recent viewing of GE I have some thoughts...

I see TLD, LTK & GE sort of as a trilogy. But I also see GE, TLD & TWINE as another.
    So many people cite GE as a great Bond movie, and I think it's because it's the transitional film. Elements of old, elements of new... a subtle Dalton influence & a new era makeover bound together in a glorious mix...
    If it had had a Barry score I think most would call it near perfect.

I now view GE as Brosnan's best Bond.
    (But TND is still my personal favourite)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    @chrisisall, Great analysis. I've always seen GE as part of Dalton's era. I typically break down the Bond films into 3 seperate timelines. GoldenEye was always my favorite Brosnan Bond film because of that leftover 80's cinematography. As it was my first Bond experience I hold it so dear to me. :)

Original Bond 1962 -1985
    Reboot#1 -1986 - 2002
    Modern Bond - 2006 -
    Murdock wrote: »
    GoldenEye was always my favorite Brosnan Bond film because of that leftover 80's cinematography. As it was my first Bond experience I hold it so dear to me. :)
    I was a BIG fan of Remington Steele, so that combined with seeing Bond back after a 6 year delay with GE was just Heaven to me. Also a fan of Chinese gung fu movies, so seeing Michelle in a Bond film was Heaven a second time.

chrisisall wrote: »
    GoldenEye was always my favorite Brosnan Bond film because of that leftover 80's cinematography. As it was my first Bond experience I hold it so dear to me. :)
    I was a BIG fan of Remington Steele, so that combined with seeing Bond back after a 6 year delay with GE was just Heaven to me. Also a fan of Chinese gung fu movies, so seeing Michelle in a Bond film was Heaven a second time.
    I discovered Remington Steele not too long after Die Another Day's release so that was a joy to delve into. A shame the final season was terrible though.
    I discovered Remington Steele not too long after Die Another Day's release so that was a joy to delve into. A shame the final season was terrible though.
    Yeah, 6 episodes of going through the motions. At least they finally shagged. In the end. Lights out.

=D>
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Yeah, 6 episodes of going through the motions. At least they finally shagged. In the end. Lights out.

=D>
    I kinda wished it ended with Doris Roberts shaking her head saying, I don't like that Pierce. :))

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Similar to watching Roger Moore in The Saint and The Persuaders.
    I too was a fan of Remington Steele, used to be on Saturday nights
    On BBC 1.
    So when I heard he was to taker over from Roger, I was very happy. :)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    @chrisisall, Great analysis. I've always seen GE as part of Dalton's era. I typically break down the Bond films into 3 seperate timelines. GoldenEye was always my favorite Brosnan Bond film because of that leftover 80's cinematography. As it was my first Bond experience I hold it so dear to me. :)

Original Bond 1962 -1985
    Reboot#1 -1986 - 2002
    Modern Bond - 2006 -

I agree with this 100% This grouping represents three separate incarnations of the character. To a degree it's based on the age of the actors portraying Bond.

The Bond we see in Dr. No is the same Bond we see in A View to a Kill. Yes the three actors play him differently, but it is the same timeframe and they are from, roughly, the same generation.

The Bond we see in The living Daylights is the same Bond as we see in Die Another Day. If you look back at photos from the time, Tim could have played Bond until 2002.

Finally we have Craig's era; where it goes from there depends on how long he stays and how young the actor who follows.
    @talos7 & @Murdock, we have defined the THREE Bond eras here! \m/
    Ha, Pierce's demeanour at the start after his funny "blogging" remark is almost like "let's get this over with shall we" ;)
  • ml94ml94 Finland
    For me, Pierce is BEST 007.
  • I've alqays thought there were three timelines. Here's what I said about that a while ago

I've decided that there are three seperate timelines, instead of two.

DN to AVTAK is the original timeline, except DAF goes before OHMSS and FYEO goes before LALD. I say this because you can more or less believe that it's the same guy, he ages as time goes on.

Then there's a separate timeline, TLD to DAD, which I like to think goes like this.

Bond starts his career and eventually OHMSS happens. Then a few years later we have the Goldeneye PTS. Some officials are angry about the "death" of 006 so they order M to send the 00's on a training mission to Gilbatar, this is the beginning of The Living Daylights. Not long after that there's Licence To Kill. After LTK Bond starts drinking more and is struggling at work. M gives him one last chance, sends him to Japan, he meets Tiger, Blofeld is alive, etc. So that's YOLT. While in Russia, Bond finds his identity and he also meets Zukofsky and gives him a limp. Then he's captured, brainwashed, etc. TMWTGG begins, followed by Colonel Sun. After this the cold war ends and there are are a few more adventures, one of them involving Paris Carver. But after the assassination attempt and being kidnapped, Robert Brown's M has been feeling more and more stressed. In 1995 he retires and Judi Dench takes over. She looks over what's happened over the last few years and is shocked that Bond was even allowed his job back after LTK, so she has him evaluated. Goldeneye continues and then we have the rest of the Brosnan era.

The third timeline is the Craig era so far.
  • ml94ml94 Finland
    For me, Daniel is the WORST 007.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    ml94 wrote: »

Good to know. Welcome to the Pierce Brosnan News and Appreciation thread.
    ml94 wrote: »

And that show Brosnan appriciation in what sense??

I must be getting old missing the reference in this statement.

Pierce is for me the Gary Grant of modern cinema, classy and stylefull, he always make me interested in his projects. He did a hellufajob with bringing 007 back into the lights and deserved a fifth one in the style of FYEO to say goodbye to the franchise. Would have been nice for all Bondfans. Ending one franchise with a classic and beginning a new one with another in the guise of CR.
    Pierce Brosnan could be the ideal Bond if only the movies were better. Only Goldeneye was very good, the others failed for a number of reasons. And of course Die Another Day was a bitter farewell to him...
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,425
    RC7 wrote: »
    At around 13mins in Pierce gives his opinion on QOS:

Apparently it didn't really work. But he takes it all in good humour.

Ha ha. Fair play. Love Brozzer.

I like the bit where he's saying QoS didn't really work as a Bond movie and then says 'But I also had my moments' and the journalists break out into extended, hearty laughter!

Are they making a sequel to November Man?
    Getafix wrote: »
    Are they making a sequel to November Man?
    In the works.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited January 2015 Posts: 7,526
    He's still got it. :D
    edited January 2015 Posts: 17,691
    There's a commercial I'll happily revisit!!
    Thanks @NickTwentyTwo!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    That is a great ad.

Shades of DAD in the snow. Great cinematography in it.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,189
    "I like fireworks" :D

I reckon the car should be invisible.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Pierce has always had an exceptional amount of "fun" about him. Incredible guy!
    Interesting Pierce interview on Nov Man and Bond.

Is it true he's going to be in Expendables 4 or has that been quashed?

I hope Pierce turns down Ex4 if it ever happens. Expendables 3 was so F***ing awful.
    I hope Pierce turns down Ex4 if it ever happens. Expendables 3 was so F***ing awful.
    That´s why Stallone said PG13 will never happen again ;-).

I like Pierce´s Kia ad. Shows once again that he overacted as Bond.

boldfinger wrote: »
    That´s why Stallone said PG13 will never happen again ;-).

I like Pierce´s Kia ad. Shows once again that he overacted as Bond.
    Hopefully he keeps his focus on what the fans want. Old action stars kicking ass. Not Stallone going whimpy because Terry Crews got shot in the butt and dumping them for nobody wannabe action stars all.
    That KIA ad of Brosnan did make me laugh.