The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I have. Good movie.
    It's not bad.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Great film, Caine and Brosnan give great performances.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I haven't seen it in a while. He's pretty good in that one too, although it's really Caine's movie. I may watch that tonight.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,189
    bondjames wrote: »
    I haven't seen it in a while. He's pretty good in that one too, although it's really Caine's movie. I may watch that tonight.

yes it is. But Brosnan is more of an anonymous figure hired to do a job. Sound familiar? ;)

I remember when
    he was shot
    I was like "nooooo".

Bad when I side with him over old Michael ;)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote: »
    I have. Good movie.
    How about Live Wire? I think it gets a bad rap; I enjoyed it immensely. Ron Silver was SO good at being bad...

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited January 2015 Posts: 12,459
    I love Brosnan's Bond. And I don't feel sorry for Brosnan's tenure, except for DAD, which had potential and was crap through no fault of his own. Other than that, he shared the pain that Moore also suffered: poorly cast Bond girls at times. But I really don't feel bad for Pierce overall because:

1) He was a very cool and popular Bond who came along at exactly the right time.

2) He has a well rounded post-Bond career, better than any other Bond actor.

3) He seems like a balanced, mature, and caring person aside from his work.

4) He made his mark as Bond, and by that I mean he is a memorable Bond for good reasons, and I'll just name two excellent ones: Goldeneye and Tomorrow Never Dies.

Pierce Brosnan did have his own look, style, and charm. And for sure, he looked fantastic in his Bond wardrobe - a sharp dressed man, the epitome of cool at times, with a warm chemistry with Q that was the best in the series, and he was very James Bond indeed.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 1,146
    TND starts off well enough, despite some of the action being pretty pedestrian, then falls right off the table after the HALO jump. TWINE needed Bond to be absolutely ruthless when he shot the villainess, and the filmmakers wimped out and showed the shot offscreen. I feel like that's a stronger overall story than TND, but TND has a stronger first half of the picture. At least the outright comedy of the Moore era was pretty minimal for the Broz films.
    Appreciation for Brosnan thread. So you just list faults in films? TND is one of my favorites. It is not perfect, but it is great fun with some wonderful moments. Look, I have reviewed every film and am happy to share my reviews, including faults of all films, but not in critical mode here. Mine are on the SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans thread.

So your last sentence is your positivity, and you do that by again bashing Roger Moore (whom I also enjoy very much).
    edited January 2015 Posts: 17,694
    I love Brosnan's Bond. And I don't feel sorry for Brosnan's tenure, except for DAD
    I'll go ya one better: I can tolerate the extreme nonsense & still enjoy DAD because Brosnan!
    ;)
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I have. Good movie.
    How about Live Wire? I think it gets a bad rap; I enjoyed it immensely. Ron Silver was SO good at being bad...
    I love Live Wire. It's good 90's fun. I like to think the climax inspired Skyfall. ;)
    I like to think the climax inspired Skyfall. ;)
    :-O
    I never thought of that!
    I like the first…half hour of DAD. The opening is cool.
    :)
  • doubleoego wrote: »
    Anyway, on the whole a good little actioner and I liked Olga better in this than in QoS.

The question is: are we ever going to see Camille again just as Barbara Broccoli intended? It seems like being in this movie might not be good for Camille.
    Pierce Brosnan was the first bond I ever saw so he will always have a special place in my heart and I loved goldeneye before I truly became a Bond fan and I still do I think its one of the best.I can watch his movies any time and be entertained I wish he would have gotten a fifth film four is just not enough in my opinion.Ya love his films always will he was a great James Bond.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Anyway, on the whole a good little actioner and I liked Olga better in this than in QoS.

The question is: are we ever going to see Camille again just as Barbara Broccoli intended? It seems like being in this movie might not be good for Camille.

I didn't realise that was what Babs wanted.

She's not a great character - leave her be, I say.

Gosh I hope not. She was a damp squid to me.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Squid?
    Getafix wrote: »
    Squid?

Sorry. Squib.

The IT crowd. :))
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited January 2015 Posts: 7,527
    Pierce Brosnan was the first bond I ever saw so he will always have a special place in my heart and I loved goldeneye before I truly became a Bond fan and I still do I think its one of the best.I can watch his movies any time and be entertained I wish he would have gotten a fifth film four is just not enough in my opinion.Ya love his films always will he was a great James Bond.

I agree wholly with this; GoldenEye was my first introduction to the Bond franchise (my dad rented it on VHS and we watched it) so Pierce will always be "my" Bond, even if he's not my favourite of the actors today.
    Every time he delivers the iconic line, though, all I can hear is "Bont. James Bont."
    :))
    Appreciation for Brosnan thread. So you just list faults in films? TND is one of my favorites. It is not perfect, but it is great fun with some wonderful moments. Look, I have reviewed every film and am happy to share my reviews, including faults of all films, but not in critical mode here. Mine are on the SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans thread.

So your last sentence is your positivity, and you do that by again bashing Roger Moore (whom I also enjoy very much).

Critical thinking is analysis, not hating.
  • - The Name's Deveraux . Peter Deveraux.
    Critical thinking is analysis, not hating.
    Agreed 100%!
    Now stop hating please.
    :))
    Bad is bad, regardless.
    Bad is bad, regardless.
    Pierce wasn't bad. 8-|
  • Pierce was also the first Bond I saw, BUT even then I knew that there was a void or some sort of darkness that his interpretation lacked. It was obvious that the Bond before his was like Michael Keaton dark/Batman Returns compared to Brosnan's Batman Forever.

The very fact that Brosnan didn't get as creatively involved with putting new ideas into use didn't help, neither did his concern for loyalty to the books.
    Guys ... this is an appreciation thread. Please respect that.
    I do respect that on other appreciation threads. If I can refrain, you can too. This is not the thread for criticism or negativity. No appreciation thread is. Debates on pos/neg and criticisms, complaints, etc. are for other threads.
    I very much appreciate, Corinne Cléry from MR. I really appreciated
    The hell out of her as teenage boy. :D