Q & Miss Moneypenny have returned

Comments

• I was waiting for the new episode of Boardwalk Empire and found Harris in this movie called "Ninja Assassin". If I didn't know she wasn't Jamaican and hasn't seen her in POTC, you could have convinced me she was an American. How she will do with a proper or posh type of British accent I just don't know. But again, and this has absolutely nothing with skin color, I can't see her as Moneypenny unless they go out of their way to try and hide her looks. If I am Bond strolling into M's office, and hopefully I don't get censored for this, here's what I am thinking...

Harris behind the desk- I'll want to play "hide the salami" and bend her over her desk before I go and see M.

McCrory behind the desk- peek down her blouse, a little flirtation, but not much more. Moneypenny isn't supposed to be Harris kind of hot.

Bond behind the desk- I'd think she took her pet poodle to get a summer cut and decided to get a matching look. I'd much rather have the cigar :-))
    Well It look like only Miss Moneypenny had been announced but no word on Q yet. I do want Q to be in it. But nothing said. I won't be surprised they don't cast a Q but him been introduced in Bond 24 will be very Surprising. :-( :(|)
    Moneypenny has not been annouced. An annoucement would be someone from EON, Sam Mendes or Daniel Craig syaing "Miss Moneypenny is in BOND 23". What we have to date is merely press speculation, reporting that Naomie Harris has been cast in the role. There is light years of difference between an annoucement and press speculating.
  • edited October 2011 Posts: 1,856
    Well It look like only Miss Moneypenny had been announced but no word on Q yet. I do want Q to be in it. But nothing said. I won't be surprised they don't cast a Q but him been introduced in Bond 24 will be very Surprising. :-( :(|)
    While it is very hard to keep a secret in the Internet age, but not impossible. we never know...
  • edited October 2011 Posts: 5,745
    My point is, Bond has already had his first meeting with Q. Unless they recreate the scene from DN shot for shot, or (and Im interested in this) set the end of B23 to line up at the start of DN, and then B24 introduces our Q, but follows after the storyline of DN.

Or is this Q just going to be a new-guy-same-title type scenario.

*assuming of course they bring Q back*
    My point is, Bond has already had his first meeting with Q. Unless they recreate the scene from DN shot for shot, or (and Im interested in this) set the end of B23 to line up at the start of DN, and then B24 introduces our Q, but follows after the storyline of DN. *
    CR was the start of a rebooted continuity rember ? DN hsan't happened!?

• edited October 2011 Posts: 42
    Well, I just watched Martin Scorsese's film "The Departed" and Ridley Scott's film "Body of Lies", I think I've got a suggestion for the role of Ms Moneypenny and Q, why don't try Vera Farmiga as Ms Moneypenny and Russel Crowe as Q? Vera Farmiga is a typical actress who could play the role as secretary well, as she did similarly in The Departed as Psychologist. Russel Crowe, I guess can play comedic and serious role at once, and I think he suits for the role Q much,
    Oh maybe the other actor who suits the role of Q is Harris Yulin. I saw his acting in Mr Bean movie (1997) and in Rush Hour 2. I think, he has a similar character to the former q John Cleese. If you wanna an old man playing Q, ya maybe Harris Yulin could be someone well to pick
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Russell Crowe as Q could issue Bond a gadget phone which explodes when you throw it at someone.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I like Vera for Moneypenny! But many will say too old already I am guessing. But she would be great, I think.

"A Callaghan full-bore auto-lock. Customized trigger. Double cartridge thorough gauge. It is my very favorite gun. I call her Vera."
    My point is, Bond has already had his first meeting with Q. Unless they recreate the scene from DN shot for shot, or (and Im interested in this) set the end of B23 to line up at the start of DN, and then B24 introduces our Q, but follows after the storyline of DN. *
    CR was the start of a rebooted continuity rember ? DN hsan't happened!?

Yes but it WILL happen. So are they going to ignore the first introduction and create a new "007, meet Q" or will they just pretend they already know each other.

The Bond timeline is so confusing.
    Was CR an official start over, or did it just refresh some elements. WHY EON, WHY.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I really did not think the "reboot" meant that the films were now going to be remade chronologically according to the past timeline of the books or sequence of the films. That makes me think twice. I am fine with Q and Bond meeting again for the first time outside of Dr. No. I do not think I like the idea of strict adherence to that kind of timeline for our next Bond movies, actually. Hmmm ... I thought we were getting Bond at the beginning, and then moving on with new stories (hopefully more Fleming bits added in thoughtfully). Please tell me what else you know about this ... thanks! :-S
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited October 2011 Posts: 13,350
    When we first see Q (or Major Boothroyd) again, he and Bond should have already met. He should just be introduced to us, the audience, again. Though we'll know who he is. I think that would be for the best.

If you think about they never met for the first time in Dr. No did they? Bond in the last two films probably already knows him, we just haven't seen him yet. There has to be a Quartermaster at MI6 afterall.
    When we first see Q (or Major Boothroyd) again, he and Bond should have already met.
    I, too, think that's the best route to take. Do we think a modern Q would try to mimic DL or invent a new character?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    When we first see Q (or Major Boothroyd) again, he and Bond should have already met.
    I, too, think that's the best route to take. Do we think a modern Q would try to mimic DL or invent a new character?
    Try to grab what they can from the novels and put that on the screen I hope. There is no point of attempting to copy Llewelyn as it wouldn't work and would only make things worse.
  • edited October 2011 Posts: 44
    Just please, please, pleeeease, don't make it cheesy! :(

I don't want another DAD!

I'm not sure how Q and Moneypenny could come back without it being cheesy, it's bad enough with Dench and her "Christ I miss the Cold War" nonsense.

It would have to be seriously done, as though Bond already knows Q and he just walks on and gives him his equipment like in FRWL. It got silly when Q started being a field agent.

In the books, Moneypenny is not that attractive, pretty but not a bombshell, Bond would like to sleep with her but he's not really that bothered. She is really an insignificant part in my eyes, in a way it's a shame she became such a big character. Maxwell and Connery had the chemistry and Maxwell was a really good actress so they stuck with it I guess.

As for bringing her back, well, with her being a really pretty young mixed race girl, it just looks like another Jinx to me. :O
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Well it looks like Naomie Harris is confirmed to be in "Skyfall", most likely as Moneypenny.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Well it looks like Naomie Harris is confirmed to be in "Skyfall", most likely as Moneypenny.
    She isn't Moneypenny. Her character's name is Eve, and she made stunt training and maching gun firing practice. Surely MP hasn't been turned into an action role ?
  • Jazz007Jazz007 Minnesota
    No.... They don't.

If CR taught us anything, it is that Q and Moneypenny are the most expendable reoccuring characters of the franchise.

They are not necessary and, if they do not have anything interesting to do, do not add anything to the films.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited November 2011 Posts: 15,690
    No.... They don't.

If CR taught us anything, it is that Q and Moneypenny are the most expendable reoccuring characters of the franchise.

They are not necessary and, if they do not have anything interesting to do, do not add anything to the films.
    I hope not. I love Q and Moneypenny, they are essential to Bond, and can't wait for them to return... Frankly the franchise has been stale without them. Bond isn't Bond without Q and Moneypenny. One of the reasons for me that CR and QOS can't be described as Bond films.

What's next, @Jazz007 ? What other Bond traditions do you want to scrap ? How far will you erradicate the Bondian elements until the films become unrecognizable from other action films ? Sorry, but you seem to want to kill the franchise.

I hope not. I love Q and Moneypenny, they are essential to Bond, and can't wait for them to return... Frankly the franchise has been stale without them. Bond isn't Bond without Q and Moneypenny. One of the reasons for me that CR and QOS can't be described as Bond films.

What's next, @Jazz007 ? What other Bond traditions do you want to scrap ? How far will you erradicate the Bondian elements until the films become unrecognizable from other action films ? Sorry, but you seem to want to kill the franchise.
    They arent missed really. The Bond films have moved on. They are still Bond films without them. They just bring in other characters.

If introduced now they would stand out like a seventies kipper tie or an eighties ZX81

They arent missed really. The Bond films have moved on. They are still Bond films without them. They just bring in other characters.

If introduced now they would stand out like a seventies kipper tie or an eighties ZX81

CR and QOS cannot be described as Bond films, IMO. They are not Bond films. They are just normal action films. I hope Bond 23 is the return of Bond after not been seen since DAD.

• QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I loved CR, and thought QOS was alright, but those movies felt too much like the Bourne movies. They need to bring back some of the traditional elements of Bond (like Q and Moneypenny).

CR and QOS cannot be described as Bond films, IMO. They are not Bond films. They are just normal action films. I hope Bond 23 is the return of Bond after not been seen since DAD.

You're kidding right about CR. CR is IMO the best Bond film since OHMSS with the right mixture of action and emotion. Hopefully Mendes can use these as his template. But I agree that Q and Moneypenny would be welcome additions. Still think Kate Winslet (with her Sam Mendes connection) would make a great Moneypenny. Ben Wishaw I think we;ll find will be revealed as Q in due course. If not there are usually extra cast additions along the way even after shooting has begun. I agree about QOS. Great acting but too Bourne-like to be true Bond. I hope Dan Bradley has learnt from this!

Each series has to adapt and move on. It has to move in a different direction to stay fresh.

The seventies have gone. All Q and Moneypenny are crutches beloved of some fans who want to keep the Bonds the way they are comfortable with.

Time has moved on.

Each series has to adapt and move on. It has to move in a different direction to stay fresh.

The seventies have gone. All Q and Moneypenny are crutches beloved of some fans who want to keep the Bonds the way they are comfortable with.

Time has moved on.

In your opinion. As long as Q and MP aren't back, Craig cannot be considered as James Bond, and CR, QOS, B23/B24/... cannot be called Bond films.

You honestly cannot say that 'I am right because I don't want Q and MP back, and those who want them back are wrong because they belong in the past'. Your view on Q and MP isn't the correct one, it's just your own opinion. Frankly it seems you want to force your opinion of 'Q and MP belong in the past' down the throats of those who want them back. Sorry, but you are disrepectful to those who want Q and MP back. Not everyone share your views on Bond you know. So please accept that.

Honestly actonsteve I am tired of you lecturing people on how the series has to move on. Are we not allowed to want Q and MP and other traditions back ?

I struggle to dislike anything about Bond movies but DAD was genuinely bol......

CR was a great bond movie and the Moneypenny and Q characters are either brilliant or shouldn't be used. In many of the films they introduce interest in the same way Felix Leiter does but if you just keep chucking them in for no particular reason then the characters become boring

Time has moved on.

In your opinion. As long as Q and MP aren't back, Craig cannot be considered as James Bond, and CR, QOS, B23/B24/... cannot be called Bond films.

You honestly cannot say that 'I am right because I don't want Q and MP back, and those who want them back are wrong because they belong in the past'. Your view on Q and MP isn't the correct one, it's just your own opinion. Frankly it seems you want to force your opinion of 'Q and MP belong in the past' down the throats of those who want them back. Sorry, but you are disrepectful to those who want Q and MP back. Not everyone share your views on Bond you know. So please accept that.

Honestly actonsteve I am tired of you lecturing people on how the series has to move on. Are we not allowed to want Q and MP and other traditions back ?
    As Call me Dave would say......"calm down dear...."

As Call me Dave would say......"calm down dear...."
    And you should stop sounding like your opinion on Q and MP is a fact. That's all I'm saying.