Q & Miss Moneypenny have returned

Comments

I don't know, but Moneypenny starting off as a field agent just doesn't sit right with me at the moment. Maybe my mind will be changed once I see Skyfall, but at the moment I have some reservations. (Assuming the rumor is true...and who knows, right???)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    After watching the series, spools, it puts a lot of things into perspective for me regarding certIn changes and approaches for where Bond is going. For starters, threre's no point bringing Q and MP back if they're going to be rehashes of before. The new take on Q with BW sounds interesting and MP potentially being. Field agent prior to being Ms right arm sounds interesting also and makes sense to me and is easy to visualise as a credible approach because of how I've seen certain characters evolve in shows like spools or even shows like 24.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited December 2011 Posts: 1,699
    doubleoego wrote:
    After watching the series, spools, it puts a lot of things into perspective for me regarding certIn changes and approaches for where Bond is going. For starters, threre's no point bringing Q and MP back if they're going to be rehashes of before. The new take on Q with BW sounds interesting and MP potentially being. Field agent prior to being Ms right arm sounds interesting also and makes sense to me and is easy to visualise as a credible approach because of how I've seen certain characters evolve in shows like spools or even shows like 24.

Yup, with such 'realistic' takes on how modern espionage is conducted very much part of today's zeitgeist, reintroducing the characters of Q and Moneypenny to the modern world-driven Craig era probably couldn't be done in a way that harks back to the Bond of old. Basically because it would strike audiences - certainly young 'uns brought up on the likes of 24, Spooks, Alias, Bourne and all the other spy dramas of recent years - as not credible. That's essentially why we've got a young (no doubt somewhat toned down) Q and why I think it's highly probable Eve, a field agent at least at first, will indeed turn out to be Moneypenny...
  • So, our wishes are heard ;)
    Having watched MI4 I must admit that EON's new Q can never match the wit and power Simon Pegg brings to his character which started as a sort of Q in the third movie and is now more a man of "inaction" but brings humor to the tale.
    SaintMark wrote:
    Having watched MI4 I must admit that EON's new Q can never match the wit and power Simon Pegg brings to his character which started as a sort of Q in the third movie and is now more a man of "inaction" but brings humor to the tale.
    I absolutely LOVE Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, but I occasionally found Pegg's character in MI4 annoying. He did have some good zingers, though. Just a little less of him would have been nice. (Similar to M:I:iii)
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    SJK91 wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    I absolutely LOVE Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, but I occasionally found Pegg's character in MI4 annoying. He did have some good zingers, though. Just a little less of him would have been nice. (Similar to M:I:iii)

I felt he was one of the highlights myself - horses for courses and all that...
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 371
    Quoting Naomie Harris in today's Sunday Mail Special edition:

'Despite speculation that she was to star as Miss Moneypenny, Harris reveals exclusively to Live ( the magazine ) that this was never under discussion. 'The idea of me being Moneypenny was a good, racy rumour, but Eve is not remotely office bound. She gets to see plenty of action.'

So, that settles that then?

She also added that most of her gun training had been using a Walther PPK......
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    edited January 2012 Posts: 1,182

'Despite speculation that she was to star as Miss Moneypenny, Harris reveals exclusively to Live ( the magazine ) that this was never under discussion. 'The idea of me being Moneypenny was a good, racy rumour, but Eve is not remotely office bound. She gets to see plenty of action.'

Maybe not my most mature moment, but when I read this a voice in my head screamed "YES"!

Thank God, the baseless Eve Moneypenny rumours came to an end.

I'd love to see the Daily Mail's reaction/respond to that, but I doubt there will be any.

Thanks for that quote, @Commander_Skyfall.
  • Quoting Naomie Harris in today's Sunday Mail Special edition:

maybe she is not Moneypenny but in fact a 00 agent or becoming one? I think the walther PPK is a standard British secret service issue or just 007?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Best news on Skyfall ever. I am so happy they didn't ruin Moneypenny by making her an action heroine.

I am glad that this persistant rumour has finally been put to bed! :D
    Just wait and see, she'll be Moneypenny.

why so sure?
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 4,619
    RogueAgent wrote:

why so sure?

Because ColonelSun said so. I'll always trust him until he's proven wrong. It's pretty obvious why Naomie Harris wants to deny the rumor.

That's fair enough i suppose. If Harris said wait and see when the movie comes out? Then their is always the possibility she is? But has now said she is not? I would not expect her to be now if someone above her has said lie to the public about your part as there would be no need too would their?
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 17
    If this is true, she will be MP

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2085302/Maldives-luxury-holidays-James-Bonds-new-Moneypenny-hits-beach.html

"I'm not sure yet how much travel will be involved in filming the new Bond film, Skyfall. There will certainly be some exotic locations – I've heard India being mentioned – but as Miss Moneypenny I'll probably get no further than Pinewood Studios."
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    So in one interview she says she's not Monepenny but in the other she does! I think she will be, though hope the opposite.
  • I dont what to believe anymore.....it too confusing
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    Samuel001 wrote:
    So in one interview she says she's not Monepenny but in the other she does!
    Yes, that's weird...

Also, since when does Harris write for the Daily Mail? And would she reveal such a big piece of news like that, with all the secrecy that we've seen from everyone so far? I don't know, something doesn't seem right. Or maybe it's just me not wanting to believe it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2012 Posts: 28,694
    gt007 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    So in one interview she says she's not Monepenny but in the other she does!
    Yes, that's weird...

Also, since when does Harris write for the Daily Mail? And would she reveal such a big piece of news like that, with all the secrecy that we've seen from everyone so far? I don't know, something doesn't seem right. Or maybe it's just me not wanting to believe it.

Maybe a writer at the Daily Mail just happened to type in Ms. MP to stir rumors again. I dunno. Darn gossip.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    edited January 2012 Posts: 1,182
    Maybe a writer at the Daily Mail just happened to type in Ms. MP to stir rumors again. I dunno. Darn gossip.
    That's what I thought too, but it says it was written by Naomie herself...
    Moneypenny's Maldives: Bond's girl finds paradise as Naomie Harris hits the beach
    By Naomie Harris

[...]
    It's all good though, the longer EON sit on it for, the more hype builds. We'll know before October, huh!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    gt007 wrote:
    That's what I thought too, but it says it was written by Naomie herself...
    Moneypenny's Maldives: Bond's girl finds paradise as Naomie Harris hits the beach
    By Naomie Harris

[...]

Why would Naomie write for the Daily Mail?! She's an actress. It isn't for $$$ of course, and she doesn't need to show off her writing skills. It doesn't make sense. I'll do some digging about.
    It seems rather old too, the whole, we could be going to Inida thing, is just one example of this.
    edited January 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Naomie has done a few of these travel log things, and they appear unconnected to Skyfall, her role, and Bond in any sense. I guess she does write for Daily Mail, travel logs at least. I've never heard of this...how strange... Either she was joking when she made the MP comment, or she can finally break the silence about her role. But if so, why wouldn't EON tell us first? AHHH MY HEAD!
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    It may be that:
    a) the travel piece was written quite a while ago
    b) a daily mail hack added the moneypenny line in
    c) the Live piece, which is more recent, denies the moneypenny story so that there is a surprise later
    d) her character adopts the moneypenny title after she's removed from field duty as an agent, thereby keeping both stories true
    The thing is why be so secretive about MP? Yet just blurt out Q is back? Makes no sense. If MP turns out to be a gun toting Bond girl? I will be VERY disappointed at Mendes for allowing it to happen? Yet Q is reduced to just being back. No back story as to if he was a field agent.....etc.

Yes there is a certain formula to certain parts of a Bond film. And i am happy for them to change it a little. But don't do a complete charactor assassination on them. If Eve turned out to be MP. What a transition from what she is in Skyfall to what we have always had seeing as this is all a reboot!
    JamesPage wrote:
    It may be that:
    a) the travel piece was written quite a while ago
    b) a daily mail hack added the moneypenny line in
    c) the Live piece, which is more recent, denies the moneypenny story so that there is a surprise later
    d) her character adopts the moneypenny title after she's removed from field duty as an agent, thereby keeping both stories true

The travel log just recently went up. There are two other pieces "Naomie" wrote, one from 2010, the other 2011. So, she's done all this before. I don't think anyone will be surprised if it turns out Eve is MP. Seriously, we have been debating since day one if MP show in Skyfall, so it is far beyond a surprise now. I also don't see why Eve would "adopt" the title of MP after her field duty is done. MP is a secretary, and I don't see Eve, who is used to action in the field, settling into a secretarial job. It doesn't fit the character of Eve, and the MP that could be Eve doesn't fit the MP we know. I'm starting to believe only Q will show, and not MP. But, pure and utter speculation as the usual.
    I like "step by step" solution for introduction Q & Monepenny.
    I'll be satisfied if we meet only Q in Skyfall. Time for Ms. Moneypenny will come when we meet new M (she'll be h i s secretary) in Bond 24.