Skyfall - Teaser Trailer - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Creasy47 wrote:
    . I highly doubt SF will steer clear of Istanbul in the marketing because of Taken 2 -

Well, food for thought : in the message describing the alleged 4-minute trailer, there is no mention of the motorcycle chase on the roofs of Istanbul. That does not prove much, but one cannot help to think that if this alleged trailer was an invention of a fan that followed the production videos, why did he not mention that ? It was the piece of news for fans for a few days when it went out :)

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I get that people are annoyed by this but I think we need to look at the bigger picture.

For starters, the plot of both movies are vastly different, the character motivations and dynamics are again, vastly different, SF makes use of at least 4 different geographical locations, the caliber of actors are are significantly different. I don't need to remind you all of the talent involved in SF (Feinnes, Bardem etc...), whereas Neeson is the only draw in Taken 2 and most importantly, Turkey is only being used as a location for the PTS. Honestly, it's nothing to get bent out of shape over.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I meant is Bond the last remaining double 0 agent.

9 agents - 8 die = 1 left (Bond)

So is it 8 random deaths or the death of 8 double 0's, which would be really striking if so.

Do you think they killed off the other 8 double 0's is what I meant.

That sounds a bit 'Johnny English-ish.'
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote:
    . I highly doubt SF will steer clear of Istanbul in the marketing because of Taken 2 -

Well, food for thought : in the message describing the alleged 4-minute trailer, there is no mention of the motorcycle chase on the roofs of Istanbul. That does not prove much, but one cannot help to think that if this alleged trailer was an invention of a fan that followed the production videos, why did he not mention that ? It was the piece of news for fans for a few days when it went out :)

I didn't read it, so I didn't know that. I don't care to know more about the trailer unless I end up seeing it. Well, food for thought, right back at you: the description of the four-minute teaser was released BEFORE the trailer of 'Taken 2' was released. How would marketing for SF know about the trailer early on? Did they hear the word 'Istanbul' in the plot of 'Taken 2,' and request to see an early version of the trailer, just to decide how to market their trailer, because, God forbid, two locations pop up in trailers for films weeks apart? I doubt it.
    Germanlady wrote:
    Bond just has to spin his magic. I am sure, he can and will though. I said, i am not happy with it and that is true but I doubt, people will think, Bond copied from Taken.
    In the end - its the story that carries a film and from what I know, there is not mjuch of that in Taken or was - even though I really enjoyed part 1. Not sure, there is need to see the same again...

The story is different this time.

Anyway, people won't think Bond copied Taken or that Taken copied Bond, if people just don't compare the two at all. They're entirely different.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I meant is Bond the last remaining double 0 agent.

9 agents - 8 die = 1 left (Bond)

So is it 8 random deaths or the death of 8 double 0's, which would be really striking if so.

Do you think they killed off the other 8 double 0's is what I meant.

That sounds a bit 'Johnny English-ish.'

Hahaha, I thought of that too. I need to watch that film again some time.
  • Creasy47 wrote:
    Did they hear the word 'Istanbul' in the plot of 'Taken 2,' and request to see an early version of the trailer, just to decide how to market their trailer, because, God forbid, two locations pop up in trailers for films weeks apart? I doubt it.

They know for quite a long time that Taken 2 had shot just weeks before them at the very same location. Look at my next post, it's quite spectacular, it's only a few meters away :) And I work from time to time for movie marketing (on the technical side - web development for digital marketing) and believe me, they're hysterical when anything can "confuse" the audience !
    @Suivez_ce_parachute, don't be patronizing, I'm not a child.

I find it to be pretty pathetic that the entirety of a film's marketing would be altered because of a single location in a film, and I seriously doubt much of the larger "audience" today will put those pieces together.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 2,015
    Ok, so it seems they are quite some overreaction about this trailer comparison...

Well, I understand it's easy to find meaningless coincidence. For instance, here are two images from both trailers.

189526funcoincidence.jpg

If I was truly trolling, I could write tons about it and make quite a few others like that (the train, the fireworks, the running between cars etc..). But this is meaningless (although kind of fun)

On the other hand, here are the exact locations (I think) of two actions scenes as we know from Taken 2 trailer (in red), and from some video on the set of Skyfall (in blue - but obviously in both movies the action will keep on jumping from some place to another in this zone with no real coherency). It's pretty sure that when the Skyfall team arrived there, they learnt in case they did not know it before that another action scene had been shot just there a few weeks before.

967879twotrailers.jpg
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 2,015
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Suivez_ce_parachute, don't be patronizing, I'm not a child.

I find it to be pretty pathetic that the entirety of a film's marketing would be altered because of a single location in a film, and I seriously doubt much of the larger "audience" today will put those pieces together.

1) For the moment the larger audience has no clue Skyfall has something big happening in Istanbul. Taken 2 is a "Welcome to Istanbul" movie (a line in the trailer). In October 2012, I don't expect the Skyfall marketing to hit the same notes.

2) I've witnessed first hand marketing plans cancelled in the last weeks before the deadline just because "hey, it looks a bit the same as" something else most never heard of. It's totally irrationnal.

3) About the patronizing tone if it feels so, don't forget I don't master the English language, don't read too much in it.

Nobody is overreacting, as you were the one to point out the comparison.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    This is Skyfall teaser discussion, not worthless Taken 2/Bond comparisons. Taken 2 is just the new Bourne I guess...
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 12,837
    This is Skyfall teaser discussion, not worthless Taken 2/Bond comparisons. Taken 2 is just the new Bourne I guess...

So if Taken is the new Bourne, pretty soon we'll have annoying people who hate the modern Bond saying that Bond ripped off Taken. And then equally annoying people who think there's some kind of war between the 2 and that they're not allowed to like both, saying that Taken ripped off Bond.

Anyway lets stop talking about Taken now. At least in this thread. I hope they release a new trailer soon.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 306
    Well, first answer the beginning of the post : Have you seen the trailer for Taken 2 (which has just been released) ? I was quite shocked to see that the same location (with a foot chase on the paths on the roofs instead of a motorbike chase) was used. The car and the train stunt was just the ice on the cake of how similar things were looking on this Istanbul location (Taken 2 will take place there). We're talking about movies that are released in the same few weeks. It's done Dante Pic / Inferno or Armageddon / Deep Impact obviously, but it's quite some synchronicity though to have a chase there in Istanbul in two movies about a secret agent on a personal mission in October 2012, isn't it ?

Istanbul is a great place to shoot. Sue them. A lot of spy films are personal missions. Just coincidence.

Why can't you just admit he has a point and be done with it? Do we all lose our Bond fan membership if we have a valid concern about something?

Anyone can see the similarities...it's just weird.

And, yeah, check out the new Bourne trailer, he - his replacement that is - has yet another motorbike chase and does a nifty move down a stair bannister.

With Bond's wife on the back of the bike no less! Haha
    No no, Bourne was actually watchable. Taken wasn't. And the sequel will be even worst because it is directed by Olivier Megaton.

I must confess I had the same first reaction that Suivez_ce_parachute. But between Megaton and Mendes, the market in Istanbul won't be shoot in the same way. And it is pretty obvious the most impressive and memorable will be SkyFall and not this action movie written by Luc Besson.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    VeryBond wrote:
    Well, first answer the beginning of the post : Have you seen the trailer for Taken 2 (which has just been released) ? I was quite shocked to see that the same location (with a foot chase on the paths on the roofs instead of a motorbike chase) was used. The car and the train stunt was just the ice on the cake of how similar things were looking on this Istanbul location (Taken 2 will take place there). We're talking about movies that are released in the same few weeks. It's done Dante Pic / Inferno or Armageddon / Deep Impact obviously, but it's quite some synchronicity though to have a chase there in Istanbul in two movies about a secret agent on a personal mission in October 2012, isn't it ?

Istanbul is a great place to shoot. Sue them. A lot of spy films are personal missions. Just coincidence.

Why can't you just admit he has a point and be done with it? Do we all lose our Bond fan membership if we have a valid concern about something?

Anyone can see the similarities...it's just weird.

And, yeah, check out the new Bourne trailer, he - his replacement that is - has yet another motorbike chase and does a nifty move down a stair bannister.

With Bond's wife on the back of the bike no less! Haha
    No, to you they are "similarities". It is nit picking. Ideas for Taken 2 could have been thrown around since filming ended in 2008 on the first film, just as ideas could have began getting compiled for Bond 23 going into 2009 after QoS released. Does it matter who came up with it first? Hell no. They are two films in the same location. So what? Last time I checked, Bond's name isn't pasted anywhere in Istanbul, and same with Taken 2. You are all getting worked up about the location, instead of looking at what the cities themselves are being used for respectively. Both films will do individual things with the locations, so keep your pants on. I can see you all now. Bryan walked out in the street, and so did Bond. THEY COPIED THEY COPIED. Oh, Bond just shot a gun. Bryan did too! WHAT COPYCATS! And just because The Bourne Redundancy has a bike chase, not even in the same location of Tangiers, everyone is up in arms. Seriously people? It's just a bike chase! How do you expect Cross to escape? Levitate or transport himself away? You are grasping at straws that simply aren't there.
  • You are grasping at straws that simply aren't there.
    Do you want to bet a symbolic dollar/euro/pound (or much if you want!) that Istanbul will not be mentioned during the marketing of Skyfall ? Or that the rooftops motorcycle scene won't be in the trailers to come ? I'm putting my money where my mouth is :) I add that despite working in the digital marketing of movie world, it's rather Warner than Sony, so I don't have exclusive info to cheat !

And at least, please, when finding other "examples" to try to prove the issue is meaningless, do not use "examples" that are separated by several years. No one thinks that EON care about Clive Owen's "The International" shooting also there 4 years ago for the final chase.

Here we're talking about promotional material that will collide in October 2012. In Skyfall, something big is happening in Istanbul. In the meantime, another action movie, Taken 2, will heavily promote, before Skyfall, the fact that everything in it happens in Istanbul. Two actions scenes even happen at the very same location. Hence my bet they'll avoid promoting the Istanbul location (and focus on London/UK in the end I guess).

Brady - I never said anyone copied anyone. I don't believe they did. You're missing the point. It's about a fear that all three franchises (I'm severely flattering Taken with that word) have action that's very similar and that's not good for any of them. I just care about Bond, I want him to be the best. Maybe, in context, he will be. But I don't like his action seeming so routine, and yeah, that Bourne move looks mighty cool and...Bondian. I'm worried he might get bested by the pretenders to his throne. And no matter how you try to shrug it off, two chases across the rooftops of Istanbul in two films in the same year is kind of weird.
    VeryBond wrote:
    Brady - I never said anyone copied anyone. I don't believe they did. You're missing the point. It's about a fear that all three franchises (I'm severely flattering Taken with that word) have action that's very similar and that's not good for any of them. I just care about Bond, I want him to be the best. Maybe, in context, he will be. But I don't like his action seeming so routine, and yeah, that Bourne move looks mighty cool and...Bondian. I'm worried he might get bested by the pretenders to his throne. And no matter how you try to shrug it off, two chases across the rooftops of Istanbul in two films in the same year is kind of weird.

Welcome to Hollywood, where nearly everyone seems to copy everyone, and a majority of films these days tend to be prequels, sequels, reboots, or remakes. Rarely is something original, often is something copied.
    boby wrote:
    No no, Bourne was actually watchable. Taken wasn't. And the sequel will be even worst because it is directed by Olivier Megaton.

I must confess I had the same first reaction that Suivez_ce_parachute. But between Megaton and Mendes, the market in Istanbul won't be shoot in the same way. And it is pretty obvious the most impressive and memorable will be SkyFall and not this action movie written by Luc Besson.

Your opinion. Me and alot of others thought Taken 1 was a brilliant action film.
    VeryBond wrote:

Yay, another guy who thinks that Bourne ripped off Bond. Just as bad as saying Bond ripped off Bourne.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 2,598
    LOL. I couldn't help but think about the SF coffins too when I saw the Taken 2 trailer.

It's lucky only the PTS is set in Istanbul.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2012 Posts: 15,690
    Well for example, filming the 'amnesic Bond' plot from the YOLT novel would be a massive mistake, as a huge majority of moviegoers will think that Bond is completly ripping-off Bourne. In the end, it's the general audience that is important... so it's best no to confuse them with such things. Taken 2 will be released a few weeks before Skyfall, that is enough to make the general audience think that Bond ripped-off the Istanbul part from Taken.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited June 2012 Posts: 4,043
    Taken was a pile of junk, it was like watching Commando without the camp or humour, I've no intention in catching it's sequel.

Skyfall will outclass this rubbish in all departments.
    Shardlake wrote:
    Taken was a pile of junk, it was like watching Commando without the camp or humour, I've no intention in catching it's sequel.

Skyfall will outclass this rubbish in all departments.

That's just your opinion though. Me, and alot of other people, Taken was a brilliant, ejoyable, gritty action film and I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Can we please please stop comparing it to SF??? It's getting really tiring. And we have a Taken 2 thread.
    Well for example, filming the 'amnesic Bond' plot from the YOLT novel would be a massive mistake, as a huge majority of moviegoers will think that Bond is completly ripping-off Bourne. In the end, it's the general audience that is important... so it's best no to confuse them with such things. Taken 2 will be released a few weeks before Skyfall, that is enough to make the general audience think that Bond ripped-off the Istanbul part from Taken.

I doubt anyone will actually think that, unless people keep comparing them.

Besides, isn't SF is only in Istanbul for the PTS?
    @thelivingtoyale did you mean the Taken part, or the YOLT-novel part ?
    @DaltonCraig007 The Taken part, but it's also true for the YOLT novel part.
    @DaltonCraig007 The Taken part, but it's also true for the YOLT novel part.

the problem is that barely anyone, if anyone at all, has read the YOLT novel/know anything about it. so when you say 'amnesic Bond' they'll automaticly think 'Bourne rip-off'. the Damon/Bourne films have rendered impossible to use the YOLT plot for a very long time... until the Bourne trilogy is forgotten.

Bond fans and EON will have a hard time explaining to the general audience that 'amnesic Bond' predates 'amnesic Bourne'. So using this particular Fleming plot is total suicide if used in the next 20/25 years.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Bourne will likely not be remembered by the public at large or even be relevant in 20 to 25 years, so no issue there.
    I think Bourne will be remembered, especially considering the films in the future with a possibility of Matt returning, amping the hype. They are great films, and shouldn't be forgotten.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Bourne will likely not be remembered by the public at large or even be relevant in 20 to 25 years, so no issue there.

If Bourne Legacy is a hit financially, and criticly, than Bourne will be a big franchise for atleast another 8/10 years. They'll even try to cast a 3rd actor as the main role after Damon and Renner are too old.