Bond's Gaming Future(News, Speculation, Discussion)

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    @JWESTBROOK

there was an unconfirmed report about a year ago (looks like it originated from CBN forums) that a studio picked up the rights to Bond and were publishing a new Bond game to coincide with the release of Bond 24 in October of 2015, but the publisher was not announced - it was rumored in this report to be either EA, Ubisoft or Sony of America.....

i did quick follow up on this, and there doesn't seem to be anything giving this article credence.. if a new Bond game were due out next year, by now - especially with the reveal of the title and production about the start, you would think that something would've leaked through by now.... the last we heard anything about a Bond game was the Telltale president condemning the recent games from Activision - citing that they turned Bond into a mass murderer, and not a spy - and that if given the opportunity he'd do things a lot differently (though if there is one company i would be even less enthused making a Bond game than Activision - it's Telltale.)

my consensus, is that there will be no game tie-in for SPECTRE - more over a new Bond game, and we'll just have to go without... with as poor of sales numbers that Blood Stone, Goldeneye Reloaded and 007 Legends all had - it's doubtful any big developer sees potential in the Bond license.. it would be probably viewed as toxic

i did find this though... made me chuckle..

"007 Legends was nominated for Outstanding Achievement in Video Game Writing in the Writers Guild of America Awards."

seriously???
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    HASEROT wrote: »
    "007 Legends was nominated for Outstanding Achievement in Video Game Writing in the Writers Guild of America Awards."

seriously???
    Wow. That says just as much about 007 Legends as it does the rest of the competition for the award and the Guild itself.
    X_X
    I remember that. It had to be only because for some reason, it had a legitimate screenwriter attached to it. But not even Bruce could have done anything with that train wreck of a game
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    bondbat007 wrote: »
    I remember that. It had to be only because for some reason, it had a legitimate screenwriter attached to it. But not even Bruce could have done anything with that train wreck of a game

i dont even think Bruce tried.... if he did, then i think it's time for him to retire as a writer of anything... my 10 year old niece could write a better story for a video game than that crap in 007 Legends..... the only things i did like about that game - some of the player models looked good (all things considered), and Arnold's rendition of the Goldfinger theme - thats it..
    Bruce's Bond game scripts have been hit and miss. Blood Stone and Everything or Nothing weren't bad, but 007 Legends and Goldeneye were really lazy. Maybe it says something that he isn't really writing films anymore?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    GoldenEye was fine, honestly. His work on From Russia With Love wasn't spectacular, though.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 1,407
    Looking back on his Goldeneye script, maybe it wasn't THAT bad, but just brought down by bad visuals and not great voice acting. The reasoning behind 006's betrayal was good in a modern sense

I forgot he also did FRWL. That wasn't bad aside from the pointless new characters.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited December 2014 Posts: 15,423
    But let us remember that Robin Matthews modified the scripts the way Activision wanted. I think Bruce did just fine, and Blood Stone was written as a prequel to Skyfall.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Blood Stone as a prequel to Skyfall? Huh? I've never heard this before.
    Blood Stone as a prequel to Skyfall? Huh? I've never heard this before.
    They were all referred to in the game. Do you remember the cancelled Raven Bond game? All we see in the video footage is a location set in India, with Bond chasing someone, right? Wasn't Skyfall supposed to be shooting the pre-title sequence in India, first, before replacing it with Turkey? And some of the articles I've read alone at the time referred to it as "an early version of Bond 23."
    Huh... Never knew that. Guess that explains the drone strike at the end.
    Quite so. And the description Nicole gave at the very end "he's bigger than MI6, bigger than everything." fits the profile of Raoul Silva perfectly, don't you think?
    It does.
    Blood Stone was released in 2010, developed for probably two years before that. I don't see the Skyfall references. Blood Stone was definitely modeled after QOS. Same computer screens, little Bond theme, no "Bond, James Bond", stylized location titles. My first reaction to the ending was that the Quantum organization is what was being referred to.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Blood Stone was released in 2010, developed for probably two years before that. I don't see the Skyfall references. Blood Stone was definitely modeled after QOS. Same computer screens, little Bond theme, no "Bond, James Bond", stylized location titles. My first reaction to the ending was that the Quantum organization is what was being referred to.
    I thought Blofeld myself. Sadly, we'll never know.
    I thought Blofeld myself. Sadly, we'll never know.

Unless they drop a hint in SPECTRE and officially acknowledge the game.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Just to throw in there, the cancelled Raven game was based on Risico, not Skyfall
    18 months from what I've heard. Yes, it was modeled after QoS because at the time, there weren't any design plans on Skyfall. The similarities are obvious on that account. And mind you, mate, the Raven game was put on ice right after MGM fell into financial debts. Otherwise, we would've had 23/Skyfall coming in early-to-mid 2011.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Don't think Silva or quantum ...just Bruce's creation that never panned out.
    Well if anything, the one reason I'd like the Bond rights to go back to EA would be to get some re releases of their Bond games. It's amazing how we now look back on the majority of those games and finally see how good they actually were. I mean, Goldeneye is great, but it blinded people to legitimately good Bond games back then. Let's just hope we hear some new soon.
    I don't mind if Bond stops using gadgets and all in the films, but the games just can't work out without gadgets. It's part of the Bond essence in the gaming world. Otherwise, it's just another regular shooter game. Quantum of Solace proved it.
    I don't mind if Bond stops using gadgets and all in the films, but the games just can't work out without gadgets. It's part of the Bond essence in the gaming world. Otherwise, it's just another regular shooter game. Quantum of Solace proved it.

The next-gen QoS game is pretty meh (an FPS to start), but the PS2 version is brilliant.

The next-gen QoS game is pretty meh (an FPS to start), but the PS2 version is brilliant.
    I very much agree. I loved the PS2 version, which also had better narrative. I appreciated how Bond has made his escape from the Barge level, rescuing Vesper in the process, while the next-gen version followed the film's concept. I didn't mind that. Just... the narrative with computer-style briefings bothered me. Same with GoldenEye on Wii/360.
    I didn't mind the briefings in GoldenEye WiiLoaded, that wasn't a problem. But QoS on the PS2 was the QoS we needed, and it provided GoldenEye with a great multiplayer level. Though I do wish that PS2 QoS had more levels. It seems shorter than the PS3/360 version.

Funny coincidence:

2000, TWINE. PS1, Black Ops Entertainment; N64, Eurocom. Neither one is the full film outright, and the N64 version was the better received version.

2008, QoS. PS3/360/PC, Treyarch; PS2, Eurocom. Neither one is the full film outright, and the PS2 version was the better received version.
    Agreed that QOS on Ps2 was really fun. I didn't have my ps3 at the time so that was my only option. Obviously Activision saw how good of a game it was because I'm sure it wasn't long after it came out that they gave them a bigger Bond project. Still makes me sad that they're closed down, they really made some good games in their day.
    Over at commanderbond.net they are saying telltale games has the rights and are making a game for Spectre is this true?

Last I heard was glu games had the rights but we're only making mobile games (though praying they make the plunge and make a console game)
    After recently playing the amazing Walking Dead game, I'd be all up for TT to make a Bond game (although I prefer more of an action game, I'd still be intrigued). Do you have a link? And is it more than just some random poster on CBN?
    At this rate I would almost take any bond video game I will be buying a ps1 and hunting down the three bond games I never played 007 racing Tomorrow never dies and The world is not enough (I played the n64 version but much like quantum of solace for the ps2 is vastly different from the 360 version the same is also true for the world is not enough)

Is there ANY INFO On the the mobile James Bond video games to be released this summer?
    Risico007 wrote: »
    (I played the n64 version but much like quantum of solace for the ps2 is vastly different from the 360 version the same is also true for the world is not enough)
    Nightfire also had two different major platform versions.
    Played and beat both nightfire versions and both quantum of solace versions