Bond's Gaming Future(News, Speculation, Discussion)

Comments

I think a recurring problem with the games, even the really good ones like Nightfire and Everything Or Nothing, is that they're too influenced by the films.

EON is Die Another Day 2. Extremely OTT (two invisible cars, a secret base with a force field, etc), crap ridiculously autotuned pop/techno theme song, NSA agent Bond girl, etc.

Bloodstone is clearly influenced by Quantum Of Solace. It ditches all the traditional Bond elements (gunbarrel, gadgets, quips) in favour of a more "realistic" approach, there's a chase across rooftops, a story that's meant to be grounded in reality, Bond uses his smart phone a lot, there are fancy fonts telling us where he is whenever he goes to a new location, etc.

I think the next Bond games should create their own Bond (get a great voice actor who is actually enthusiastic about it instead of just getting the current film Bond (or a past one) to phone it in). Their own M, Q, MP. Or maybe don't have Q and MP. It's up to them, do their own thing, create their own brilliant take on it, their own Bond universe.

Look at Batman for example. The Arkham games are in their own, R rated (in contrast to TDK, which was a 12a/PG13) universe and it shows. Arkham Asylum came out right after The Dark Knight but it's nothing like it. The Dark Knight is a realistic crime thriller. The Arkham games are very comic book, from the way Batman moves and fights (and looks) to the grotesque cartoony villains to the supernatural elements. A far cry from the realism of TDK. But it worked brilliantly. The Arkham games are thought of to be some of the best games of all time.

I'd love if if, when there is a new Bond game (a shit mobile game doesn't count) they took this approach, but I'm not holding my breath. We got lucky with Rare and EA but it's clear EON don't care about the video game licence. When they do finally get a new publisher we'll probably end up with a knock off Call Of Duty game using a butchered version of the latest films story.

The honest issue here is I kind of like playing as the current 007

Really I don't get why the video game publishers use the post Fleming novels similar to eon useing the Fleming novels....

I just hope E3 has something for us bond fans
    @thelivingroyale

Very true observation and one that I've felt the same way about for years.

I'm ok with the games reflecting the current Bond films at the time. With limits. I also don't think we'll see a "game Bond" like Agent Under Fire ever again. Even if it's not the voice, I'm pretty sure it'll always be the current Bond actor in the game.

That being said, we NEED A GAME! I don't think Bond will get an e3 announcement. He's not a big deal in the gaming industry anymore. If anything, it'll be a simple press release. But I'm growing more and more doubtful of any game in time for SPECTRE...
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 12,837
    @Risico007 I think the problem with the current 007 is that the actor never wants to be there. He's there because his contract says he has to be. Craig, Brosnan and Connery really phoned it in when they did voice work for the games.

They should get a new, enthusiastic actor who's grateful for the opportunity to be playing James Bond because atm, Bond has never been played well in a video game. The best one is probably the bloke from Nightfire and even he was pretty wooden.

@bondbat007 I don't think we'll get a new game for at least a couple of years sadly.
  • @Murdock I thought Agent Underfire was ok (and I loved the original Goldeneye and Nightfire) but I'd prefer it if they moved away from shoot em ups in the future. There's way more to Bond than driving and shooting. Let me play poker with the villain, let me explore these exotic locations, let me perform death defying stunts. I don't want another shooter with a few driving bits chucked in. I want a game with variety that really makes me feel like Bond.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited February 2015 Posts: 7,526
    @Murdock I thought Agent Underfire was ok (and I loved the original Goldeneye and Nightfire) but I'd prefer it if they moved away from shoot em ups in the future. There's way more to Bond than driving and shooting. Let me play poker with the villain, let me explore these exotic locations, let me perform death defying stunts. I don't want another shooter with a few driving bits chucked in. I want a game with variety that really makes me feel like Bond.

You should check out the James Bond 007 game for Gameboy :P You had to win at Baccarat to progress through the story. It was a top down adventure game like the original Zelda.
  • I've heard of that but never played it even though I did have a gameboy at one point (think it was the second model? Idk, a friend gave it to me, all I remember is that I had GTA on it). I think something like that on the modern consoles would be great.
    A few points

1. The livingroyale I have been saying this for years I want more stealth more driving more exploreing and GAMBLING in the game

2. Nick I have been replaying Goldeneye for the 360 and James Bond 007 for the Gameboy lately and enjoying both emmencily I wish that I could combine the elements of both into one game.

3. Bond games just don't sell as well as they used to because in my opinion Activision lost touch with what makes a good bond gamne and for me it's a compelling story that is why Goldeneye is easily the best Activision game as it has an actual full complete storyline Quantum and Legends are both vinyette style which is ok I guess but not great where as Bloodstone is half a story shame as I loved the first half.
  • I think a recurring problem with the games, even the really good ones like Nightfire and Everything Or Nothing, is that they're too influenced by the films.

EON is Die Another Day 2. Extremely OTT (two invisible cars, a secret base with a force field, etc), crap ridiculously autotuned pop/techno theme song, NSA agent Bond girl, etc.

Bloodstone is clearly influenced by Quantum Of Solace. It ditches all the traditional Bond elements (gunbarrel, gadgets, quips) in favour of a more "realistic" approach, there's a chase across rooftops, a story that's meant to be grounded in reality, Bond uses his smart phone a lot, there are fancy fonts telling us where he is whenever he goes to a new location, etc.

I think the next Bond games should create their own Bond (get a great voice actor who is actually enthusiastic about it instead of just getting the current film Bond (or a past one) to phone it in). Their own M, Q, MP. Or maybe don't have Q and MP. It's up to them, do their own thing, create their own brilliant take on it, their own Bond universe.

Look at Batman for example. The Arkham games are in their own, R rated (in contrast to TDK, which was a 12a/PG13) universe and it shows. Arkham Asylum came out right after The Dark Knight but it's nothing like it. The Dark Knight is a realistic crime thriller. The Arkham games are very comic book, from the way Batman moves and fights (and looks) to the grotesque cartoony villains to the supernatural elements. A far cry from the realism of TDK. But it worked brilliantly. The Arkham games are thought of to be some of the best games of all time.

I'd love if if, when there is a new Bond game (a shit mobile game doesn't count) they took this approach, but I'm not holding my breath. We got lucky with Rare and EA but it's clear EON don't care about the video game licence. When they do finally get a new publisher we'll probably end up with a knock off Call Of Duty game using a butchered version of the latest films story.

I definitely agree, but even if they kept the likeness of Craig and MI6 regulars, they could still make it their own.
    My one hope is that EON realizes that 007 Legends failing to sell wasn't because there isn't a market for Bond games. It's because the game was bad and wasn't marketed at all. It's a common thing with Activision. Every time a game came out and didn't sell well, they didn't know why. But does anybody remember ever seeing a commercial for Blood Stone or 007 Legends? Goldeneye they marketed and those sold well. So I just hope the producers know that and eventually give the rights to a deserving company.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Activision didn't really care for the license, they just bid higher than EA for the sake of beating them in acquiring the license. I mean, I see nothing special in their efforts of all the four titles they have published, nothing but a generic COD MMS. No storytelling, no proper achievements, nothing. EA and Rare have put their own gems inside their products. I mean... take a look at FRWL, which has been criticized for butchering the classic film's plot. They added beautiful things. Additional missions to unlock (like GoldenEye and its subsequent games) and most important thing... the outfits! Now, that was a dream for me to have Bond running in a tuxedo in the middle of SPECTRE/OCTOPUS lair. Which Activision title gave us that surprise?
    Shrugs I liked Goldeneye Reloaded and I enjoyed BloodStone
    Probably just hopeful but could this be the Bond rights that Cryteck is teasing?
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/16/crytek-calls-new-licensing-deal-huge-will-announce-partner-soon
    Saints preserve me! I do sincerely hope so!
    I"m speculating on what else it could be. As for gaming, there aren't many "licensed" franchises that don't have a gaming partner. Imagine if Crytek UK worked on the next Bond game! What a full circle that would be!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    There is no Crytek UK anymore, they were absorbed by Deep Silver.
    There is no Crytek UK anymore, they were absorbed by Deep Silver.

Is that right? I thought DS just bought the Homefront IP but if that's true it's disappointing. Loved the Timesplitters games
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 9,771
    while it's probably some franchise I could care less about.. if it is Bond and they announce a bond game is coming this year. I would be so excited!

Just as possible fuel to the fire the teaser poster is being released tomorrow so maybe just maybe
    Good speculation you've got there, Risico007.
    I don't care of the new game is coming out this year or next year as long as we get the developer at least and hopefully a title and the announcement Daniel Craig Ralph Fiennes Naomie Harris and Ben Wishaw are all reprising their roles for the game
    Well, I, for one, am more in favour of games and storylines independent from the film series. I'd rather they have their own Bond, their own chronicles, and their own take on the franchise, much like how EA attempted to do since Agent Under Fire.
  • bond_azoozbondbond_azoozbond Portland,OR
    Some one in Twitter said its gonna be a huge movie franchise.. Is there anything bigger than bond ?!! Cross fingers
    Well, if it's a movie franchise, logically speaking, there are Star Wars, Star Trek, the Marvel Cinematic Universe so...

But, I sincerely hope it's Bond!
    I hope bond too .. Ea games own Star wars franchise now and they already working on 3 games .. Im sure its not Star Wars
    After four games of suffering, I'd like to see a fresh take on the gameplay. Something that will be a trademark with Bond.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'm honestly not excited about this at all. If it's true, all that means is more stupid FPS Bond games coming our way.
    If they were behind bond ..Then they better take care of the franchise and work hard on delivering a new experience .. Specially with the source saying they've been working on that game for a while ..
    Well, I wouldn't go that far and drop it just because it might be an FPS. There are good FPS games out there. Far Cry 3 for instance.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Well, I wouldn't go that far and drop it just because it might be an FPS. There are good FPS games out there. Far Cry 3 for instance.

I'm just not a fan of them, and feel disconnected from any character I'm supposed to be playing. That, and we've had an over-sautration of FPS Bond games for forever now. Blood Stone was a brilliant breath of fresh air in a valley of sub-par garbage. So much could be done with another proper 3rd person Bond game that hasn't been accomplished in the FPS ones, namely quality.
    Hmm well any idea what time tomorrow we will know I don't mind FPS honestly

I'm just not a fan of them, and feel disconnected from any character I'm supposed to be playing. That, and we've had an over-sautration of FPS Bond games for forever now. Blood Stone was a brilliant breath of fresh air in a valley of sub-par garbage. So much could be done with another proper 3rd person Bond game that hasn't been accomplished in the FPS ones, namely quality.
    I understand where you're coming from. Blood Stone had a lot of potential, but I've got to admit, it was very linear for a third person game. It would be better if they drift away from linear corridors, and give the player choices. Have many ways to accomplish a single level. A quality, like you mentioned. Give the product its worth, attraction, beauty. Something that Activision never attempted to achieve.