The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

DAF Sean says my name is bond james bond in a really strange voice then his next line is more like the voice we know
    oh i know i hate that voice! Check out the trailer to hear the real, un-dubbed version
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Alan007 wrote:
    DAF Sean says my name is bond james bond in a really strange voice then his next line is more like the voice we know

It was slightly sped up.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Murdock wrote:
    Alan007 wrote:

It was slightly sped up.

And it appears recorded via some form of ADR. See the original trailer, for how the line should have been.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Alan007 wrote:

It was slightly sped up.

And it appears recorded via some form of ADR. See the original trailer, for how the line should have been.

Yes I've the trailer, it is rather mind boggling. I suppose Sean said it too slow and they sped it up to keep with the pace of the scene. although I like it that way because that's my favorite delivery of "My Name is Bond..James Bond." :p
    Murdock wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Alan007 wrote:

It was slightly sped up.

Yes I've the trailer, it is rather mind boggling. I suppose Sean said it too slow and they sped it up to keep with the pace of the scene. although I like it that way because that's my favorite delivery of "My Name is Bond..James Bond." :p

I had really never noticed the difference until @Samuel001 pointed it out on an older thread sometime last year. I know it should be obvious, but to me it sounded like the real Connery. It never bothered me!
    A similar thing happened with Roger Moore in A View to a Kill when Max Zorin asked Bond to see him in his office in France, 'I understand you wish to see me'. Always one thing you always notice
    A similar thing happened with Roger Moore in A View to a Kill when Max Zorin asked Bond to see him in his office in France, 'I understand you wish to see me'. Always one thing you always notice

That always sounded natural to me since Moore's voice was deeper than usual in AVTAK.
    Murdock wrote:

That always sounded natural to me since Moore's voice was deeper than usual in AVTAK.

A bit off-topic here, but right after the PTS in A View to a Kill, when Bond walks into Moneypenny's office and says, "Good morning, Moneypenny", Roger's voice cracks so badly! It's amazing!!!!!!
    00Beast wrote:
    A bit off-topic here, but right after the PTS in A View to a Kill, when Bond walks into Moneypenny's office and says, "Good morning, Moneypenny", Roger's voice cracks so badly! It's amazing!!!!!!

I notice that every time. It always make me chuckle. xD
    Murdock wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

I notice that every time. It always make me chuckle. xD

I had missed it for so many years, and then finally on my last watch of AVTAK around May, I caught it, and I just about lost myself! It was terrific!
    'A little overdressed aren't we Moneypenny' I think were the actual words used, (I don't watch it much) as Moneypenny and other staff were off to the racecourse that day

It's not something I've ever really noticed to be honest, probably will be as clear as day now that's it been mentioned next time I have a watch of it though
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    That exchange makes me cringe. How wasn't that caught? It doesn't do Roger any favours with this film, as it is.
    This could well be equally suited to 'bits that don't make sense', but they are kind of similar and I'm not going to wade through archives for a thread that is just as appropriate here. Thing is, when Bond turns Japanese in You Only Live Twice, and goes through all that nonsense, getting a wife, training as a ninja, goes fishing with the locals to blend in, has surgery done to alter his image even, in order to investigate an island/volcano and not arouse suspicion, why go through all that, when all that was needed was a wetsuit and breathing apparatus, which would of worked just as well?

Maybe It's late and I'm tired again but I was thinking about this just then (I haven't seen this release for a while, but just something that should be asked)
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 1,778
    This could well be equally suited to 'bits that don't make sense', but they are kind of similar and I'm not going to wade through archives for a thread that is just as appropriate here. Thing is, when Bond turns Japanese in You Only Live Twice, and goes through all that nonsense, getting a wife, training as a ninja, goes fishing with the locals to blend in, has surgery done to alter his image even, in order to investigate an island/volcano and not arouse suspicion, why go through all that, when all that was needed was a wetsuit and breathing apparatus, which would of worked just as well?

Maybe It's late and I'm tired again but I was thinking about this just then (I haven't seen this release for a while, but just something that should be asked)

It's funny after watching GE I watched YOLT and thought the exact same thing. Was it just to use up screentime? Connery didn't look the least bit Japanese. He looked more like Spock
    Sharky wrote:
    Comeon guys lets not get petty.

Since I watched GE last night I've got another question. After Bond is attacked by Xenia in the steamroom he holds her at gunpoint and demands that she take time to Janus. But he's soaking wet, covered in pool cloreine, and in some skimpy shorts. Did Bond shower off, dry himself, dry his hair, style his hair, and then get dressed in a suit? What was Xenia doing? Did Bond do all this while still holding her at gunpoint? :))

I've wondered about this for years.

:)) i have always wondered that too, he must've immobolised (dont think i spelt that right) her somehow. it's been a while since i watched GE but doesn't bond go to zuchovsky to set up a meeting with janus? so did zuchovsky tip off Xenia to where bond is so he could get the meeting? sorry if the question isn't that clear.

That's also something I never understood. Would anyone care to elaborate?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @DoubleOhhSeven, Bond visits Zukovsky before Xenia visits him at the hotel. Bond offers the payoff in exchange for a meeting with Janus. Thus, two things pop into my head:

A.) Zukovsky contacts Janus/Xenia/someone close with Janus, tells them where Bond is, and they go to meet him. As for Xenia's methods, perhaps she either wanted to play around with him for a bit - see if he could handle himself with the random thug - or she went against Zukovsky and wanted to take down Bond because he obviously has a reason to see Janus that can't be good, and Trevelyan/Xenia put two-and-two together that Bond is out to stop him now.

B.) Zukovsky had another way for him to meet Janus, and Xenia received word about it and decided to take matters into her own hands by stopping Bond before he could get close to Janus.

Now, did Xenia call Trevelyan and get him to meet with Bond, or did she just tell Trevelyan to show up and ambush him? From the looks of things, Bond doesn't know exactly where to go, so it leads me to believe that it's an ambush. Also, from what Bond says (No, no, no. No more foreplay; take me to Janus.), I feel that Xenia's arrival was Bond's official way to get to meet Janus. She must have planned on subduing him first, but instead, he overpowered her. When they arrive at the graveyard, he is sent in, but Trevelyan and his men must know that something is awry, so they plan accordingly and stop him after their speech.

It's late, and I'm sure a lot of that is twisted around or may not make sense, but I hope it helps somehow. It's merely my view on things, I've never really delved into thought about that too much.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

And is it just me or does Bonds Japanese transformation completely disappear after the moment him and Kissy jump over the side of the boat? After all that effort and it just washes away the first time he is immersed in water?!
    There must also be a different toupe in his Batman utility belt as by the time hes in the volcano his barnet is back to as it was for the first half of the film.
    This is embarrassing but I think I've just realized (after 27 years) that the guy in the mine in A View to a Kill, who had an army of men and was working with Zorin, was not Bob Conley, but an actual foreman (different person) who owned the mine, or was in charge of operations, Zorin betrays him and shoots him down along with his workforce. They look so damn similar, I thought for all these years they were the same person, never gave it any thought until tonight in my defense, I thought they were the same person. I don't like this 1985 release much though, so excuses can be made if I maybe missed something others would of spotted long ago. I never really gave it any thought as mentioned, looked so damn similar. Have a watch next time and see for yourselves
    Why did Zorin carry Dynamite on his Blimp? :o3
    So when they crept up on Stacy Sutton, they could light the damn things and stick them in her backside. That would of got her attention.. :-<

Stacy, behind you! - Bang!....
    So when they crept up on Stacy Sutton, they could light the damn things and stick them in her backside. That would of got her attention.. :-<

Stacy, behind you! - Bang!....

Good point. Thanks! :p
    Murdock wrote:
    Why did Zorin carry Dynamite on his Blimp? :o3

I've always wondered why Dr. Mortner chose to use dynamite to kill 007 and Stacey in the first place. For starters, he should know the when he throws the dynamite at them, given its size, weight, and shape, it's just going to roll right off the bridge cable and blow up below them anyway, doing only damage to cars below. Secondly, there's a whole row of submachine guns sitting right next to the sticks of dynamite! Certainly this would be more preferrable!
    I think if we were to look at this seriously (which you can't - because it's A View to a Kill), maybe Mortner just had a spontaneous reaction of not sure quite what to do given the event, in extreme circumstances, any gamble can appear justified. I never really gave it much thought though,as I would rather look directly into the sun than watch AVTAK now, were there firearms also on the Zorin Airship?, I'll have a look next time, but could be a long wait..

My initial query involving this release was that I always thought the guy in the mine towards the end that gets betrayed by Zorin and Scarpine was indeed Bob Conley, look so damn similar. Felt a bit embarrassed even, but not too much
    Does anyone know the name of the Font or Typeface used for the DAD logo?

Die_Another_Day_Logo.jpg
    when Bond turns Japanese in You Only Live Twice, and goes through all that nonsense, getting a wife, training as a ninja, goes fishing with the locals to blend in, has surgery done to alter his image even, in order to investigate an island/volcano and not arouse suspicion, why go through all that, when all that was needed was a wetsuit and breathing apparatus, which would of worked just as well?

A very tall Scotsman skulking about would have attracted the suspicions of Blofeld's men.

The whole culture immersion process make more sense in the book.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited August 2012 Posts: 13,929
    @Murdock Apparently the logo uses the 'Britannic Bold' font. Hope this helps.
    QBranch wrote:
    @Murdock Apparently the logo uses the 'Britannic Bold' font. Hope this helps.

Thank you @QBranch it was indeed!
    No probs :)
    I guess it's late and I'm tired (again) but suppose I don't know anything about James Bond (not a damn word..), and explain towards the end of Moonraker why Bond and Chiles decide to get in a Moonraker shuttle and blast off into space. For a start, they were firstly unaware that Drax's spacestation was even up there, and from what I remember, did not know that Drax himself was planning to go into space, to visit his spacestation (they were not aware about)

In the simplest terms, they simply took off into space for no reason whatsoever. This is almost embarrassing as there's surely a perfectly plausible explanation (Gilbert wanted to show a big space battle with lasers and a blatant rip off of Star Wars), but for arguments sake, if we can look beyond that, just seemed an unnecessary venture. I will make a determined effort to watch again at next available opportunity to see what I missed, but just felt like a mention
    edited August 2012 Posts: 13,929
    I'm guessing Bond and Goodhead were curious to see where the shuttles were actually going. :-? :-??