The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

Into orbit I should imagine, although it wasn't a Star Trek mission..

For the life of me, and If I think about it now, it still doesn't make much sense really, it's simply for the benefit of the viewers and to hold a wild laser battle in space, is the answer above all else. The more I think about it now, (and I never gave it much thought before), the more it irritates it seems. From a James Bond perspective (as Moore himself that year), still seems like a pointless and unnecessary expedition, but as stated, I do think I see now the real reason why it was done

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I guess it's late and I'm tired (again) but suppose I don't know anything about James Bond (not a damn word..), and explain towards the end of Moonraker why Bond and Chiles decide to get in a Moonraker shuttle and blast off into space. For a start, they were firstly unaware that Drax's spacestation was even up there, and from what I remember, did not know that Drax himself was planning to go into space, to visit his spacestation (they were not aware about)

In the simplest terms, they simply took off into space for no reason whatsoever. This is almost embarrassing as there's surely a perfectly plausible explanation (Gilbert wanted to show a big space battle with lasers and a blatant rip off of Star Wars), but for arguments sake, if we can look beyond that, just seemed an unnecessary venture. I will make a determined effort to watch again at next available opportunity to see what I missed, but just felt like a mention

I can only assume that having seen the globes and the fleet of shuttles taking off they put two and two together and decided that the action was to be had in orbit.

And Drax had left them in the blast chamber saying he was off in Moonraker 5 so it was fairly obvious that the launch base would soon be a ghost town and space was the place to be if they wanted to stop Drax.
    A Licence to Kill question for you:
    this could be more or less answered by Felix at the end of the movie, or by the evaluation at the beginning of GoldenEye, but I thought I'd check with you guys anyway.

Were there any repercussions or penalties for Bond at the end of Licence to Kill? In terms of his employment I mean. He did win in the end but he still went rogue, escaped custody, possibly got the undercover Hong Kong agents killed, etc. Although technically Sanchez was already onto those guys, but still.

Just wondering if Bond got a slap on the wrist, or perhaps a more severe consequence, like a suspension-- before being allowed back on duty. What do you think?
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    He was dismissed from duty for 6 years ;-)

TBH, in the world of Bond we have to take these matters with a pinch of salt. Like you say he won, so M and his oppos would probably cover up what happened to the HK agents, although they were a bit heavy handed with Bond when they decided to 'chat' with him.
    NicNac wrote:
    TBH, in the world of Bond we have to take these matters with a pinch of salt. Like you say he won, so M and his oppos would probably cover up what happened to the HK agents, although they were a bit heavy handed with Bond when they decided to 'chat' with him.
    That's what I mean! They totally would have killed him if not for 'too many witnesses'. They certainly weren't taking it lightly!

Maybe they made Bond wash M's car for a month ;)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    NicNac wrote:
    That's what I mean! They totally would have killed him if not for 'too many witnesses'. They certainly weren't taking it lightly!

Maybe they made Bond wash M's car for a month ;)

Well to be honest it was maybe M who took the rap for having an agent go AWOL as he was binned for Judi Dench. Bond got away with a psycholgical evaluation in Monaco - albeit 6 years later.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 4,813
    That does make sense! Poor Robert Brown

StupidDalton-1.jpg
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited August 2012 Posts: 13,929
    ^ Epic post, @Master_Dahark! :)) DaltonBond would so do that.

I have a question regarding QoS. During the boat chase scene- just after Camille gets knocked out by the boat's bow, we see Bond throw an anchor into another boat. The boat then flips in the air. I'm not sure whether it's the editing, or maybe I'm just a little slow, :P but I never understood what happens here.
    That does make sense! Poor Robert Brown

StupidDalton-1.jpg

Priceless! =))
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    What type of space shuttle is Bird 1? I remember reading an article somewhere that there are actually space shuttles that open in the front, but there much smaller and I think there used for collecting space debris.
    Is the Plot to The Man With The Golden Gun a loose adaptation to The Most Dangerous Game?
  • If we take the short story, it seems there is little or no connection, movies that made an acknowledgement would include Schwarzenegger's The Running Man, Turkey Shoot or even Woo's Hard Target, I haven't read the novel, but it seems Golden Gun was not influenced in any way
    If we take the short story, it seems there is little or no connection, movies that made an acknowledgement would include Schwarzenegger's The Running Man, Turkey Shoot or even Woo's Hard Target, I haven't read the novel, but it seems Golden Gun was not influenced in any way

Ah thanks. :)

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Honor Blackman wrote a Self Defense book for women.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Murdock wrote:
    That is so awesome. I didn't know if it was legitimate or not.
    Murdock wrote:

Yeah, I think it was talked about on a different thread not too long ago, but it also had some pictures from it shown. But it was a long time ago so I'm not sure which thread you could see more about it on.
    Murdock wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Yeah, I think it was talked about on a different thread not too long ago, but it also had some pictures from it shown. But it was a long time ago so I'm not sure which thread you could see more about it on.

So she really could have flipped Bond in the barn in GF! :))
    Murdock wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Oh yeah, she really did those moves for real, In the documentary for GF she said, she actually did Judo. :)
    Murdock wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Oh yeah, she really did those moves for real, In the documentary for GF she said, she actually did Judo. :)

Nothing sexier than a woman that can lay you out.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Nothing worse than spammy comments.
    Come on guys, this is just chit-chat. Surely the post count isn't that important to you.
    Benny wrote:
    Nothing worse than spammy comments.
    Come on guys, this is just chit-chat. Surely the post count isn't that important to you.
    How am I spamming? I was just showing my surprise that Honor could fight for real, and how attractive a notion it was. And no regular member cares about the stupid post count.

• Just watched Moonraker and I hadn't questioned this before but:

Who does Hugo Drax call regarding a replacement for Chan? Is it me or does it sound like he's reporting to a superior (almost like SPECTRE) with how he reports that a crisis was averted?

Just a thought.... :D
    Just watched Moonraker and I hadn't questioned this before but:

Who does Hugo Drax call regarding a replacement for Chan? Is it me or does it sound like he's reporting to a superior (almost like SPECTRE) with how he reports that a crisis was averted?

I believe he was calling 1-800 HENCHMEN, The Henchmen for Hire phone service! :p
    Just watched Moonraker and I hadn't questioned this before but:

Drax HR... The ultimate evil.
  • Alright, here's something:

The Dutch 20th Century Fox Facebook has a contest where you can win some nice prices :)

The question, however, has me very puzzled (basically because it's totally stupid and un-logical). It goes as follows: What does the '00' in 007 stand for? The answers are: A. Licence to Kill, B. Special Agent or C. Barrels of a Shotgun.

Now '00' , as we probably all know, stands for the division of agents that carry a '00' number - meaning they are licenced to kill. So both A. and B. are somewhat correct (but both not fully) I think I'd go with A. , but since I really wanna make a good chance of winning, I thought I'd check what you would answer first.
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    Definitely 'A' my friend. Best of luck. ;-)
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 553
    It is flawed as a question, but 00 does denote the section of the secret service that are licensed to kill - so I'd go with A.
  • Just entered, I do hope I win :) Thanks for helping me out!
    I assumed the 00s were a symbol of your two kills you performed to get your status, and the number following that the order of your own instatement into that status amongst your section.