The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

echo wrote:
    I've got a question regarding Goldeneye's timeline. In the graveyard scene Trevelyn reveals that his father killed his mother and himself after they survived Stalin's execution squads when he was only 6 years old. Im assuming that this would've happened around the end of WW2 in 1945 meaning Trevelyn would've been born in 1939 making him 56 years old for the events of GE. Can that be right? Or maybe his father did so a number of years later (althought doubtful) but that would still make Trevelyn atleast pushing 50 if not in his early 50s already. Could someone shed some light on this?

I understand the age of the actor and age of the character are 2 different things but surely EON couldn't have expected a babyfaced 34 year old Sean Bean to be able to pass for a man in his mid 50s and have the audience believe it. If they absolutly had to have Bean in the role they could've atleast aged him with makeup.

The role was originally written for Anthony Hopkins, which would have made a lot more sense, agewise.

Yeah I heard that too but does that mean that Trevelyn is 56 or am I missing some peice of info?

Had Hopkins played the part it would've made more sense to have a teacher/student relationship between Bond and Trevelyn rather than being partners. Age-wise it would've made sense and it would've been a deeper conflict for Bond as he was going against the 00 who taught him everything he knew and broke him into the field.
    I was more concerned at his lame attempt at an Irish accent in Patriot Games..

Trevelyan was 27 years old at the time of the Severnaya incident and his presumed 'death', so we fast forward almost a decade, but at the time of his fathers suicide, the timeline would of been 21 years before, i.e, 1965 at the time of incident, supposing Severnaya took place in 1986, nine years before the actual Goldeneye timeline. It seems likely the event took place some years after WWII, his father lived with it for long enough before it came to a head and Trevelyan's plan for revenge on the British Government, or maybe there was a genuine mix up with years and ages. I wasn't aware of the Hopkins thing, but whatever is going on, it's best that Sean Bean got to play the role over the other (I'm tired btw)

How do you know how old Trevelyn was during the PTS? I've seen GE many times and it's never mentioned how old he is or when his father's suicide took place.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 1,778
    Im actually watching GE right now and I just noticed 2 lines of dialogue that must've slipped by me in recent viewing.

Bond: "A worldwide financial meltdown. And all so mad little Alec can settle a score 50 years on".

Trevelyn: "England is about to learn the cost of betrayal. Inflation adjusted for 1945".

Trevelyn mentioned earlier in the film that he was 6 years old when his parents died. These instances prove he is indeed 56 years old for the events of GE. I like Sean Bean alot as an actor but he was 22 years too young for the part. They probably should've cast someone more age appropriate. Don't get me wrong I still like GE. It's byfar the best of the Brosnan films but I'll always remember this for future viewings.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @DoubleOhhSeven, never put those two together. At most, I can see him 40, maybe 45, in GE, but most certainly not 56. I don't know, perhaps they hoped nobody would catch on to that or something.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @DoubleOhhSeven, never put those two together. At most, I can see him 40, maybe 45, in GE, but most certainly not 56. I don't know, perhaps they hoped nobody would catch on to that or something.

I wonder does this mean that Bond is supposed to be a similar age? Afterall they're established as partners not teacher and student. Those are some pretty yound looking 56 year-olds. I guess Vodka Martinis and killing people preserve one's looks. ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited July 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Creasy47 wrote:

I wonder does this mean that Bond is supposed to be a similar age? Afterall they're established as partners not teacher and student. Those are some pretty yound looking 56 year-olds. I guess Vodka Martinis and killing people preserve one's looks. ;)

The martini Bond drinks is very healthy, and improves your health for the future.
    edited July 2012 Posts: 40,457
    I'll have to stock up on vodka and weapons in the near future, then, along with a license to kill and a clandestine government job.

As much as I love GE, one thing that has always bugged me is the transition from the dam jump (what we see down below) to where Bond is at on the runway; the locations don't match up. I know that they used a painting for the zoomed-out runway shots, but it's always slightly irked me how the two don't match up in terms of where he is at.
    Creasy47 wrote:

The martini Bond drinks is very healthy, and improves your health for the future.

That's right I forgot. In Bond's world alcohol is actually very good for you. It works better than daily exercise and health foods. By DAD he's 63 but still kicking. But sadly Roger Moore's Bond gave up drinking in-between MR and FYEO which explains the drastic jump in age. He tried giving it up again after FYEO and the results were even worse. Luckily after a few all-night binges the boose morphed him into a youthful Timothy Dalton and all was well in the world.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    In all seriousness, the reason Bond's martini is seen as being so healthy is for its ability to break down antioxidants, in this case hydrogen peroxide in an experiment done by scientists. Though Gin left 58% behind, vermouth left only 1.9%, and only .157% was left in a stirred martini. But in a shaken martini there faired the best results, where only .072% of the hydrogen peroxide was left. Hence, it is considered very healthy, and will help you live longer over other drinks.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited July 2012 Posts: 5,961
    In all seriousness, the reason Bond's martini is seen as being so healthy is for its ability to break down antioxidants, in this case hydrogen peroxide in an experiment done by scientists. Though Gin left 58% behind, vermouth left only 1.9%, and only .157% was left in a stirred martini. But in a shaken martini there faired the best results, where only .072% of the hydrogen peroxide was left. Hence, it is considered very healthy, and will help you live longer over other drinks.

I can't take this seriously. Alcohol is not healthy (well, maybe red wine because of the grapes). I'm a drinker but I don't drink for my health (that's what exercise is for).
    echo wrote:

I can't take this seriously. Alcohol is not healthy. I'm a drinker but I don't drink for my health (that's what exercise is for).

I hate alcohol/cigarettes and the lot as well, and will never indulge in them, but there is a difference between being an alcoholic and drinking in small moderation like Bond does.
    It's too bad alcohol isn't healthy..... :(
    echo wrote:

I can't take this seriously. Alcohol is not healthy (well, maybe red wine because of the grapes). I'm a drinker but I don't drink for my health (that's what exercise is for).

Sorry @Brady I've gotta agree with @Echo here. Alcohol, even in small moderations is never actually good for you. That's like saying smoking cigarettes in small doses can be good for you. They're called vices for a reason. With all due respect. :)

Afterall if I drink too much over the weekend I'll always pay for it on the treadmill.
    echo wrote:

Sorry @Brady I've gotta agree with @Echo here. Alcohol, even in small moderations is never actually good for you. That's like saying smoking cigarettes in small doses can be good for you. They're called vices for a reason. With all due respect. :)

Afterall if I drink too much over the weekend I'll always gotta pay for it on the treadmill.
    I know, which is why I pledged long ago never to do it. I was just saying there is a difference between drinking heavily, and in moderation. I am by no means sponsoring it.
    edited July 2012 Posts: 40,457
    I drink with friends occasionally and indulge in cigarettes numerous times a day. You only live twice, and when I meet that fateful day, I want to know I did what I wanted to do.

No offense to those who don't drink or smoke, though, the healthy route you're taking is also good.
    If you don't enjoy a good drink now and again, will you live longer or will it just seem longer? ;-)
    Grinderman wrote:
    If you don't enjoy a good drink now and again, will you live longer or will it just seem longer? ;-)

Who knows. I want to be dead by the time I get decrepit and lose common abilities of movement. That's no life.
    0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 said:
    [of a shaken martini, an alcoholic drink] ... Hence, it is considered very healthy, and will help you live longer over other drinks.

and

0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 said:
    I am by no means sponsoring it. [the drinking of alcohol...]
    Can we please quit talking about liquor ? :-S

(took me a good part of the day to sober up)
    @Anon, I'm confused - are you pointing out a contradiction or something? If so, he isn't sponsoring it because he doesn't drink, that's why. He was stating that martinis are found to be healthier (as 'healthy' as an alcoholic drink can be, excluding wine) than other alcoholic beverages out there, for those that do drink.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Anon, I'm confused - are you pointing out a contradiction or something? If so, he isn't sponsoring it because he doesn't drink, that's why. He was stating that martinis are found to be healthier (as 'healthy' as an alcoholic drink can be, excluding wine) than other alcoholic beverages out there, for those that do drink.

Exactly, thank you for being able to read @Creasy47.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, thank you, as well. It's a really nice ability to have.
    Creasy47 wrote:

I just noticed something that I thought was hypocritical. Not a big deal - funny to me, and I thought others might have been amused by the patent contradiction and i could ingratiate myself by pointing it out in black and white.

Maybe you have an inside line on the poster's thinking - I just went by the words as typed . I don't think I've misrepresented what was said have I?

• echoecho 007 in New York
    Creasy47 wrote:

Exactly, thank you for being able to read @Creasy47.

I understood it. I just didn't buy it.
    @Anon, I do believe you are. I cleared it up in what I replied to you with.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Anon, I do believe you are. I cleared it up in what I replied to you with.
    Quite likely. I'm sure you're correct.
    Comeon guys lets not get petty.

Since I watched GE last night I've got another question. After Bond is attacked by Xenia in the steamroom he holds her at gunpoint and demands that she take time to Janus. But he's soaking wet, covered in pool cloreine, and in some skimpy shorts. Did Bond shower off, dry himself, dry his hair, style his hair, and then get dressed in a suit? What was Xenia doing? Did Bond do all this while still holding her at gunpoint? :))

I've wondered about this for years.

Since I watched GE last night I've got another question. After Bond is attacked by Xenia in the steamroom he holds her at gunpoint and demands that she take time to Janus. But he's soaking wet, covered in pool cloreine, and in some skimpy shorts. Did Bond shower off, dry himself, dry his hair, style his hair, and then get dressed in a suit? What was Xenia doing? Did Bond do all this while still holding her at gunpoint? :))

:)) i have always wondered that too, he must've immobolised (dont think i spelt that right) her somehow. it's been a while since i watched GE but doesn't bond go to zuchovsky to set up a meeting with janus? so did zuchovsky tip off Xenia to where bond is so he could get the meeting? sorry if the question isn't that clear.

That is an excellent question, and one which I can say I'm stumped! I've got no clue! Maybe he knocked her out while he changed, hahaha.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 4,813
    Maybe they both hopped in the shower-- I mean he did say 'he had a lovely evening'
    She was dressed up too
    What happened to Sir Godfrey Tibbett when Moore escaped the car underwater after being caught out by Zorin, first he was in the back seat with Bond as it was pushed in, lo and behold when Moore got out through a window, the body had disappeared?

Watch itself yourself and see