The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

Two bigees here from LALD:

#1- Why does Solitaire attack Bond with her purse after her line, "My only regret is I won't be there to see it," when Bond is about to board the plane where he's going "skydiving"? Does she think that the meeting at the airport was a set up that Bond was in on? Surely not, since he's about to be killed!

#2- Mr. Big says during his second meeting with Bond, this time in New Orleans, "First you go up to Harlem and kill one of the brothers. Now that disturbed me." Who did Bond kill in Harlem? The only action that happened up there was when Bond knocked out the two thugs in the alley before Strutter rescued him. Bond barely did anything to them, in fact, they probably got back up right after Strutter drove away from the alley!
    00Beast wrote:

#1- Why does Solitaire attack Bond with her purse after her line, "My only regret is I won't be there to see it," when Bond is about to board the plane where he's going "skydiving"? Does she think that the meeting at the airport was a set up that Bond was in on? Surely not, since he's about to be killed!

#2- Mr. Big says during his second meeting with Bond, this time in New Orleans, "First you go up to Harlem and kill one of the brothers. Now that disturbed me." Who did Bond kill in Harlem? The only action that happened up there was when Bond knocked out the two thugs in the alley before Strutter rescued him. Bond barely did anything to them, in fact, they probably got back up right after Strutter drove away from the alley!

Good questions. I've got no idea about either. I've always wondered about the airport scene too. Anyone have any ideas?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Watched the last 30 mins of TWINE last night on ITV and was struck by a couple of things in the final sub sequence.

1. All the guys helping make the plutonium rod seem to be in on the plan so I know Renard has nothing to live for but I'm sure these guys want to spend their ill gotten gains rather than blow themselves up. Are they all so devoted to Renard they are going to kill themselves alongside him? Or do they all have bullets lodged in their brains?

2. The sub is driven nose first into the seabed yet at the end Bond and Christmas fire themselves from a torpedo tube back up toward the surface. How many subs have rear firing torpedo tubes? Not many I've ever seen and not Victor class (as quoted by Zukovsky earlier in the film).
    Watched the last 30 mins of TWINE last night on ITV and was struck by a couple of things in the final sub sequence.

1. All the guys helping make the plutonium rod seem to be in on the plan so I know Renard has nothing to live for but I'm sure these guys want to spend their ill gotten gains rather than blow themselves up. Are they all so devoted to Renard they are going to kill themselves alongside him? Or do they all have bullets lodged in their brains?

2. The sub is driven nose first into the seabed yet at the end Bond and Christmas fire themselves from a torpedo tube back up toward the surface. How many subs have rear firing torpedo tubes? Not many I've ever seen and not Victor class (as quoted by Zukovsky earlier in the film).

I had never thought about either of these actually, but they're great questions. I don't know about #2, but in regards to #1, I'd like to think that they had no idea in the first place. I would imagine that they didn't understand the science behind the plutonium rod into the reactor and so Renard figured he wouldn't have to tell them at all.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 13,350
    You would think if you're getting involved with something that big, you would know the basics of what you're getting into. Maybe they were all just picked up from 'Henchmen R Us'.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    You would think if you're getting involved with something that big, you would know the basics of what you're getting into. Maybe they were all just picked up from 'Henchmen R Us'.

Hahaha. I'm thinking that Renard was a crafty liar who didn't let them in on the whole "this submarine will create a nuclear explosion" idea. Either that or they had been in Renard's organization for many years and were prepared to die with their leader.

00Beast wrote:

I think that was just quick thinking on Solitaire's part to provide a distraction. Either that or she was just trying to cover herself. Attacking Bond could help her convince Kananga that she was taken against her will.
    00Beast wrote:

Maybe one of the thugs had eggshell skull syndrome?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Inspired by the SF/MR fan trailer:

In which Bond film is the title mentioned the most (not counting the song)? My guess is GF, but I suppose MR, OP, and GE are also contenders.
    echo wrote:

In which Bond film is the title mentioned the most (not counting the song)? My guess is GF, but I suppose MR, OP, and GE are also contenders.

This is more James Bond trivia than Bond questions, but a question nonetheless

I was thinking The World Is Not Enough for some reason but I couldn't possibly say off hand, Goldfinger would be worth a mention though, I was even thinking the awful Die Another Day too, Ms Ciccone did get a bit repetitive towards the end of the intro I remember

:-<
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Dr. No is also named a lot.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    In Die Another Day, Graves is asking Vlad about ergonomics (Man, Machine. "This is Still a suitcase!") what was the point of that line? It's boggled my mind for years and I still don't understand what the heck he was talking about.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 128
    It was there purely to set-up the power-glove suit thingy Graves wore in the climax. Without that line there's no reason for the suit as the laser already works perfectly fine.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    00Beast wrote:

I had never thought about either of these actually, but they're great questions. I don't know about #2, but in regards to #1, I'd like to think that they had no idea in the first place. I would imagine that they didn't understand the science behind the plutonium rod into the reactor and so Renard figured he wouldn't have to tell them at all.

Except that theres a guy there whos crafting the plutonium rod for him who seems to know more about the science than Renard. Surely hes wondering why as if hes plutonium engineer or whatever he would be only too aware of what sticking a plutonium fuel rod into the reactor would do.

By the way would sticking a rod of plutonium in a sub reactor cause a nuclear explosion or just meltdown of the reactor? Is this based at all on any scientific fact or just a flight of fancy from P & W?
    echo wrote:

Yes I'd say it's GF. However Louise Jordan says the word "Octopussy" quite a bit in that menacing yet funny tone.

BTW could you give me a link to that trailer?
    Would Ian Fleming have killed Bond off in a novel if he had still been alive to write other Bond books?
    fjdinardo wrote:
    Would Ian Fleming have killed Bond off in a novel if he had still been alive to write other Bond books?

That a question only Fleming himself could have answered. I will say that he seemed to be building up to Bond's death with YOLT and TMWTGG. Who knows maybe he was intending to kill him in TMWTGG but it was never finished.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    fjdinardo wrote:

That a question only Fleming himself could have answered. I will say that he seemed to be building up to Bond's death with YOLT and TMWTGG. Who knows maybe he was intending to kill him in TMWTGG but it was never finished.
    That's another thing. If EON knew that Bond died, that there was a set death for him as a character, would they be more willing to kill him off and end the franchise?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 14,875
    fjdinardo wrote:

That's another thing. If EON knew that Bond died, that there was a set death for him as a character, would they be more willing to kill him off and end the franchise?

Would you kill off the cash cow that is the Bond series?
    Thankfully Fleming didn't kill of James Bond, and we need never worry about that situation. Of course in years to come someone will possibly kill off OO7. But as Bond is ageless, then he can always come back.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    In a way Fleming did this to scare the audience in From Russia With Love.
    In Die Another Day when Bond escapes Gustav Graves' ice palace in his ice dragster, and Graves is demonstrating Icarus to the Korean generals by "drawing the line", where is Bond running to? Surely he can see that his path only leads to arctic wasteland or that giant cliff!
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    00Beast wrote:
    In Die Another Day when Bond escapes Gustav Graves' ice palace in his ice dragster, and Graves is demonstrating Icarus to the Korean generals by "drawing the line", where is Bond running to? Surely he can see that his path only leads to arctic wasteland or that giant cliff!

He is running to save Jinx from Dying on the ice palace.
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

Hmm...that sounds about right. Yeah, I guess that's what he was doing before Graves turned the Icarus laser on him. Thanks!
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    00Beast wrote:
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

Hmm...that sounds about right. Yeah, I guess that's what he was doing before Graves turned the Icarus laser on him. Thanks!

;) You welcome.
    edited May 2012 Posts: 5,979
    In OHMSS, M mentions a 1964 bullion job to Draco where he "got away with a chunk of the haul."

It's seemingly a GF reference, but no one actually took any gold from the vault.

What does M mean?
    echo wrote:
    In OHMSS, M mentions a 1964 bullion job to Draco where he "got away with a chunk of the haul."

It's seemingly a GF reference, but no one actually took any gold from the vault.

What does M mean?

Yeah, I've never gotten this either, because number 1, Goldfinger's thugs were all Korean, and Draco's men are, from what we've seen, have no Asians at all. Number 2, the US military got there in time to prevent anyone from stealing anything, so M's line would be a false statement.
    What does Connery mean by "I've grown accustomed to your face" in TB?
  • RC7RC7
    Louise Jordan says the word "Octopussy" quite a bit in that menacing yet funny tone.

Sorry I know it's childish, but this made me laugh. Diane 'Louise Jordan' was a TV presenter in the UK and I keep thinking of her being the villain in OP.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 128
    echo wrote:

What does M mean?

Simple answer: it's not a reference to Goldfinger, but another robbery. I don't know of any actual gold robberies taking place in 1964, but I wonder if it was a reference to an real-life event?
    What does Connery mean by "I've grown accustomed to your face" in TB?

That's a reference to the song "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face" from the musical My Fair Lady. It was a hit on the West End in the early sixties and the film version swept the Oscars in 1964. I guess we can add musical theatre to Bond's list of leisurely pursuits.
    Cipher wrote:
    echo wrote:

What does M mean?

Simple answer: it's not a reference to Goldfinger, but another robbery. I don't know of any actual gold robberies taking place in 1964, but I wonder if it was a reference to an real-life event?

I don't think it's that simple. It can't be coincidental that it's 1964. And involves gold.