The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

You can tell how tired I must be by this and it's probably obvious but

When Moore is in the chair in Live and Let Die and Tee Hee must 'snap a finger at the first wrong answer and then proceed to more vital areas (ouch)', Kananga gets his watch and tells Solitaire the registration number '3266' - 'Do I speak the truth', she looks at her cards and then after a pause says 'You speak the truth'

So (embarrassed), was that really the number on the watch, did she simply guess without knowing, even if she got it wrong Bond was going to die anyway, then when they take him away to the croc farm Kananga has a rant at her about it, and I'm getting confused now actually..

Bottom line is, was she right or not, OK it may be obvious to some but I was just thinking. Anyway time for some sleep

• echoecho 007 in New York
    edited April 2012 Posts: 5,962
    I think Solitaire got the number wrong. Kananga then deduces that she has lost her power by sleeping with Bond and hits her because his (eventual) plan was to sleep with her himself (and create a baby Solitaire?).

The line I've never liked is when Kananga says "I gave you better than a 50-50 chance." Um, no you didn't, Kananga. You asked her a true-false question. Therefore it was 50-50.
    You can tell how tired I must be by this and it's probably obvious but

When Moore is in the chair in Live and Let Die and Tee Hee must 'snap a finger at the first wrong answer and then proceed to more vital areas (ouch)', Kananga gets his watch and tells Solitaire the registration number '3266' - 'Do I speak the truth', she looks at her cards and then after a pause says 'You speak the truth'

So (embarrassed), was that really the number on the watch, did she simply guess without knowing, even if she got it wrong Bond was going to die anyway, then when they take him away to the croc farm Kananga has a rant at her about it, and I'm getting confused now actually..

Bottom line is, was she right or not, OK it may be obvious to some but I was just thinking. Anyway time for some sleep

Solitaire was wrong. I suppose Kananga never really intended to have Tee Hee snip Bond's finger but rather just have the threat of doing so over Solitaire's head.

In regard's to Dalton being to old for GE I used to think so but then I saw a clip of Dalton from 1994 and he still looked very dashing and bondian. I can't imagine 1 year making that much of a difference.

And Timothy Dalton if you can read this, how old are you? ;)
    In The Man with the Golden Gun, why do the three thugs at the nightclub in Beirut attack Bond when he is in Saida's dressing room? I've never figured out why they had some beef with Bond. Why were the suspicious of him in the first place? I've thought it could either be that they work for Scaramanga and this wasn't addressed because of poor direction, or maybe they just thought he looked like a rough customer to cause trouble. Either way, it doesn't make sense to me. Anybody know the truth on this matter?
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 1,778
    00Beast wrote:
    In The Man with the Golden Gun, why do the three thugs at the nightclub in Beirut attack Bond when he is in Saida's dressing room? I've never figured out why they had some beef with Bond. Why were the suspicious of him in the first place? I've thought it could either be that they work for Scaramanga and this wasn't addressed because of poor direction, or maybe they just thought he looked like a rough customer to cause trouble. Either way, it doesn't make sense to me. Anybody know the truth on this matter?

That's a good one @OOBeast. It seems to me that they threw that in there because Bond wasn't in the PTS and they figured they needed an action scene with Bond soon after. There's 2 explanations. One is Scaramanga sent them which I think is very unlikely as he's not that kinda villan. The second is there just some of Bond's many enemies that unfortunatly get no introduction. Either way I call it poor direction/writing. Typical for Guy Hamilton films.

I've got 2 more. In TLD when Bond meets with Feliz Leither to "talk shop" do the two discuss anything of relevance to the film? Because it doesn't seem like the meeting provides Bond with any useful information. It just seems like the scene was unneccesary.

And in DAF when Bond first meets Tiffany Case he asks her if Mr. Case is around and she says the T. is for Tiffany. Is there something about the letter T. that would lead Bond to believe Case was married?
    They're not official Bond henchmen either from what I could ascertain, maybe they were included to allow Roger Moore some half plausible fight scenes early in his Bond tenure, the fight in the dancers room in Beirut being not too bad a Bond battle, but we're talking Moore standards here remember

When Dalton meets Leiter in Daylights (having made off with some sunglasses without paying on route) on the boat in the marina we don't actually get to see what they discuss, it is only hinted at, i.e. keeping tracks of Whitakers recent movements etc, we only see the 1987 Leiter briefly, and they suggest what will be discussed and they quickly move the story on, I don't have a problem with it, I think we get the general picture of it

Diamonds, when Bond is in Amsterdam and arrives at the address, he doesn't know of Frank's contact, he sees the name and automatically assumes the T is for a male gender, he got a surprise when St John appeared as he was maybe expecting someone else, maybe I'm reading the question wrong again, but there you are

• edited April 2012 Posts: 128
    00Beast wrote:

The bald chap in that TMWTGG scene appears to be the owner of the club. His booth sort of overlooks the club and he calls for one of his goons who comes from another room. He's shown as being pretty displeased by the attention that the dancer pays to Bond - which Bond seems to reciprocate by following her to her dressing room.
    00Beast wrote:

That's a good one @OOBeast. It seems to me that they threw that in there because Bond wasn't in the PTS and they figured they needed an action scene with Bond soon after. There's 2 explanations. One is Scaramanga sent them which I think is very unlikely as he's not that kinda villan. The second is there just some of Bond's many enemies that unfortunatly get no introduction. Either way I call it poor direction/writing. Typical for Guy Hamilton films.

I've got 2 more. In TLD when Bond meets with Feliz Leither to "talk shop" do the two discuss anything of relevance to the film? Because it doesn't seem like the meeting provides Bond with any useful information. It just seems like the scene was unneccesary.

And in DAF when Bond first meets Tiffany Case he asks her if Mr. Case is around and she says the T. is for Tiffany. Is there something about the letter T. that would lead Bond to believe Case was married?

Thanks for the clarification! I had a feeling it was just poor direction or a bad plot hole, because like you said, Scaramanga isn't that type of villain. He just has himself, Nick Nack, Kra, and Andrea Anders, that's about all he needs really. I didn't expect him to have a worldwide network of thugs including Beirut, which is a LONG was away from the South China Sea! It is funny how most of these questions hail from the Guy Hamilton Bond movies.
    Cipher wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

The bald chap in that TMWTGG scene appears to be the owner of the club. His booth sort of overlooks the club and he calls for one of his goons who comes from another room. He's shown as being pretty displeased by the attention that the dancer pays to Bond - which Bond seems to reciprocate by following her to her dressing room.

Ah yes, I could see where you're going with that. I knew the baldie was either the owner of that club or a prominent staff member, but I wasn't sure of the motive in sending his men to beat up 007. This is a good thought, thanks for helping!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Ok, in FRWL the scene is this, at the end:
    Tatiana: [removes ring and hands it to Bond] Here you are. In case you ever need it again.
    James Bond: Oh, yes. All government property has to be accounted for. But as I said before, we won't always be working on the company's time. Will we?
    Tatiana: No
    [Tatiana kisses Bond passionately]
    Tatiana: James, behave yourself. We are being filmed.
    James Bond: Oh, not again.
    [Bond pulls a film reel from his pocket and unwinds it]
    James Bond: He was right, you know.
    Tatiana: What is it?
    James Bond: I'll show you.
    [Bond kisses Tatiana and throws the film away]
    Bond says "He was right, you know", I think referencing Grant, but out of all the dialogue between Bond and Grant in the train I can't connect the dots to exactly what Bond is agreeing with. I need help!
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Tatiana: [removes ring and hands it to Bond] Here you are. In case you ever need it again.
    James Bond: Oh, yes. All government property has to be accounted for. But as I said before, we won't always be working on the company's time. Will we?
    Bond says "He was right, you know", I think referencing Grant, but out of all the dialogue between Bond and Grant in the train I can't connect the dots to exactly what Bond is agreeing with. I need help!

He says that because it was a deleted scene where Grant comments about the moviee with Bond and Romanova " What a Performance ". And when Bond starts to kiss Tatiana he means that Grant was right about the performance ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    MrBond wrote:

He says that because it was a deleted scene where Grant comments about the moviee with Bond and Romanova " What a Performance ". And when Bond starts to kiss Tatiana he means that Grant was right about the performance ;)
    Ah! No wonder I was so confused. I hate when films do that, but with FRWL, I'll let it slide. ;)
    Here's a HUGE question and possibly a giant plot hole:

In You Only Live Twice, when Helga Brandt and Mr. Osato meet with Blofeld in apartment, Blofeld shows them the picture which Osato took from his special X-Ray desk of Bond's Walther PPK earlier in the movie. Then, when Blofeld says that it belongs to James Bond 007, both Helga and Osato act surprised, and say that Bond's "death" was in all of the newspapers. Hold on a minute! We saw that newspaper after the PTS, some guy on a big boat was looking at it and it clearly showed Bond's picture. Why would Osato and Helga be surprised if they saw the newspapers? Certainly they would have known that "Mr. Fisher" was really 007, especially since he wasn't wearing a disguise of any kind!!
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 1,082
    They knew it was Bond. They just pretended that they didn't know because they were afraid of Blofeld's punishment.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    My question...
    We always seen Bond making a lot of things, like speaking different languages, fighting in different modes, driving different cars... etc.

I'd like to ask, What/How many things is Bond graduated on? Which universities did he passed at?
    I know that he took a first in oriental languages at Cambridge atleast.
    00Beast wrote:
    Here's a HUGE question and possibly a giant plot hole:

In You Only Live Twice, when Helga Brandt and Mr. Osato meet with Blofeld in apartment, Blofeld shows them the picture which Osato took from his special X-Ray desk of Bond's Walther PPK earlier in the movie. Then, when Blofeld says that it belongs to James Bond 007, both Helga and Osato act surprised, and say that Bond's "death" was in all of the newspapers. Hold on a minute! We saw that newspaper after the PTS, some guy on a big boat was looking at it and it clearly showed Bond's picture. Why would Osato and Helga be surprised if they saw the newspapers? Certainly they would have known that "Mr. Fisher" was really 007, especially since he wasn't wearing a disguise of any kind!!

You're right. I never noticed that. A similar and more obvious plothole was Blofeld not recognizing Bond in OHMSS after meeting him only 2 years prior in YOLT. Yes it'd been 2 years but you'd think Bond's appearance would be cemented into Blofeld's head after all the trouble Bond caused for Specture. With these 2 back to back plotholes Bond should really have learned to wear some sort of disguise.
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    My question...
    We always seen Bond making a lot of things, like speaking different languages, fighting in different modes, driving different cars... etc.

I'd like to ask, What/How many things is Bond graduated on? Which universities did he passed at?

I guess the easy answer to that is a man like Bond simply couldn't exist. I read a bio on one of the DVD booklets that read Bond speaks 4 or 5 different languages fluently, is an expert marksman, an expert knife-thrower, is trained in multiple different forms of hand-to-hand combat, high IQ, expert wine taster, ect. It's just a matter of suspending your disbelief.

The biggest candidate is Batman. No human being could have amased all those talents and perfected them in 1 lifetime. Let's take a look at him. He's trained in almost every form of hand-to-hand combat, an expert scientist, an expert criminologist, an expert escape artist, an olympic level athelete, has a near photographic memory and yet he still finds the time to run a multi-billion dollar corporation, keep up with his philenthropic efforts, and work out to maintain his herculean physique. And all while battling Gotham's most dangerous criminals on a nightly basis. Somehow I find the character of Bond easier to swallow.
    I've said it before that (I read on more than one occasion) the original Fleming character was able to converse well enough in French, German and some Arabic but this seems to change from actor to actor and time to time, i.e Irma Bunt asks Bond 'you speak German', Lazenby -' 'Im afraid not' (Bunt) , 'French perhaps' , (Lazenby), - 'A Little', ..that's just one example maybe

Moore picked up a few words of Portugese in Brazil for Moonraker, I remember Craig speaking almost fluent Spanish in QOS, Moore again, Italian in Moonraker and FYEO, and Brosnan some words of Russian in TWINE. I guess it all goes out by the wayside of original character tongue sometimes and viewers don't pay much attention when the actions underway, but there you are

I've said it before that (I read on more than one occasion) the original Fleming character was able to converse well enough in French, German and some Arabic but this seems to change from actor to actor and time to time, i.e Irma Bunt asks Bond 'you speak German', Lazenby -' 'Im afraid not' (Bunt) , 'French perhaps' , (Lazenby), - 'A Little', ..that's just one example maybe

Moore picked up a few words of Portugese in Brazil for Moonraker, I remember Craig speaking almost fluent Spanish in QOS, Moore again, Italian in Moonraker and FYEO, and Brosnan some words of Russian in TWINE. I guess it all goes out by the wayside of original character tongue sometimes and viewers don't pay much attention when the actions underway, but there you are

The SMERSH dossier in From Russia with Love says that he speaks French and German (p. 51, 2003, Penguin Edition).
    While Lazenby's Bond said that probably because he was impersonating Sir Hilary Bray.
    In the movies Bond is much more learned than in the books. He showed knowledge in many subjects (eg. chemistry in MR), therefore also in languages.
    0013 wrote:

The SMERSH dossier in From Russia with Love says that he speaks French and German (p. 51, 2003, Penguin Edition).
    While Lazenby's Bond said that probably because he was impersonating Sir Hilary Bray.
    In the movies Bond is much more learned than in the books. He showed knowledge in many subjects (eg. chemistry in MR), therefore also in languages.

You're absolutly right about that. Im often suprised at how down-to-earth Bond is portrayed in the books. In the movies, especially the earlier ones, he's pretty much an expert at everything. There's no reason Bond should know the technical names of butterflies (OHMSS). 8-|

Not to mention in the same film it takes Bond only about a week of studying geneology to become familar enough to lecture a room full of people about it at Piz Gloria.
    I forgot about the whole Bray thing, of course, I was merely concentrating on Lazenby as Bond, and not who he was impersonating. Good thinking

I think we should never take original material too seriously, it seems Bond sometimes has a set in stone list of things he should do or can't do etc if we go back far enough, and that hasn't always been the case in the films, I haven't read much of the books I'm afraid so can't really comment on how it is deployed there. More of a film fan when it comes to Bond really if it's all very well and good. James Bond has surprised me in the movies sometimes with some of his knowledge, that I would instantly imagine he would know little about, so yes it can sometimes get a little confusing or raise issues etc

Does James Bond really know the scientific term for a Great White Shark for instance?

Great_White_Shark.jpg

I forgot about the whole Bray thing, of course, I was merely concentrating on Lazenby as Bond, and not who he was impersonating. Good thinking

I think we should never take original material too seriously, it seems Bond sometimes has a set in stone list of things he should do or can't do etc if we go back far enough, and that hasn't always been the case in the films, I haven't read much of the books I'm afraid so can't really comment on how it is deployed there. More of a film fan when it comes to Bond really if it's all very well and good. James Bond has surprised me in the movies sometimes with some of his knowledge, that I would instantly imagine he would know little about, so yes it can sometimes get a little confusing or raise issues etc

Does James Bond really know the scientific term for a Great White Shark for instance?

Great_White_Shark.jpg

Well anyone whose seen Jaws would know that. ;)
    But Dalton never saw Jaws -

Only Moore was a witness to that B-)

and once was enough too..
    Well, that's one of the things I love about the Bond universe: that the literary Bond (and his narrative world) is very different from the one in the movies.
    We could say he have to sagas in one franchise!
    After rewatching LTK I made my way to its wikipedia page and found that Della was both "raped and killed" the night of her honeymoon with Felix. This hit me like a rock and made me 100,000,000,000X more furious at her death at this apparent traumatic event. My question is, was there any mention of her being raped in the film, because I didn't find any when I watched it and this caught me off guard.
    For me it's when Dario says "We gave her a nice honeymooooon!"
    ^
    That makes sense. Man that fuels me with anger.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I think the line from Dario when Felix has been captured and is about to be lowered into the shark tank could suggest Della was raped.
    Felix - "Where's my wife?"
    Dario - "Don't worry. We gave her a nice honeymooooooon."

The way in which he says this and the evil look of delight in his eyes, suggests that something happened. More than just her murder.
    That's the way I've always looked at it.
    The other is that wiki is not always a reliable source of the truth. Afterall it can be edited by anyone.

Yeah it was that line from Dario that told the viewer that Della was rapped by Sanchez's thugs. Definatly one of the darker moments of the series and kinda caught me offguard the first time I saw it. Im sure it wasn't something audiences were expecting so soon after the Moore era.
    Something that has always bugged me about my #1. In CR when Bond chooses a password for the case of money if he would happen to win the texas hold 'em game, he means to type VESPER, but upon looking closely at it the password doesn't seem to spell VESPER at all. Can anyone enlighten me?
  • Questions

Bond has a Shawshank redemption moment in Octopussy...just how did he tie himself up in that body bag?

Why was Moneypenny invited to the racing in AVTAK?

Does Goldfinger react to getting shot at in Goldfinger?

What is the deal with Baron Samedi and the rolling eyes in LALD?

I always understood (or at least took it) that in TMWTGG, if Scaramange died, Nik Nak would inherit the island and Scaramanga's wealth thus that is why Nick Nack challenged him...why then would he be dramatically upset at his death?

In CR, when Vesper gets a text from MAthis saying the Americans have caught Le chiffre, who was telling the truth? And in QoS, has it ever been explained what determined MAthis's innocence?