The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Oh, that's simply another case of Bond sacrificing himself on a mission.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    It was his hardest assignment yet.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    How does bond get better at shooting a gun by the end of skyfall?
    He gets his mojo back.
    Yes, of course, the hero is re-energized and rises to the challenge. He gets his Spidey-sense back.

Same with Spectre. Classic storytelling item. Love it.

Comic-Spidey-Sense-2.gif

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I can't recall who initially mentioned it or where it was even posted, but I saw someone ask about the two men responsible for loading the jewels on Orlov's helicopter in OP maybe a few weeks back: that's definitely their corpses that Bond runs into in the freezer, but it's oddly inconsistent. I believe Khan says something to the effect of being able to ensure their silence to Orlov (meaning he'll kill them - they can't say anything then), but how they're murdered, stuffed in the freezer, and made to look like they've been dead and hanging in there for hours on end, despite the entirety of events happening in a couple of minutes max, is a huge error.

Good catch, whoever it was, still bugs me I can't find where this was mentioned or I would've directly replied to the poster.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    @Creasy47 It was me. Your point seems to be the reason why I always thought that the dead bodies are other men. They look “too dead“' like they would hang there already for weeks.
    @goldenswissroyale and myself were discussing it on this thread on Jan 12. There is indeed a lot of colour lacking in their skin in such a short time. I don't think there was any need for that.
    edited March 2019 Posts: 40,474
    QBranch wrote: »
    @goldenswissroyale and myself were discussing it on this thread on Jan 12. There is indeed a lot of colour lacking in their skin in such a short time. I don't think there was any need for that.

Damn, much longer back than I thought, that explains it. I went back six or seven pages and thought "No, don't think it was that long ago." Thanks, guys!

@goldenswissroyale, I'm glad we had the same thought there. It's totally them too, mustache on one and the facial hair on the other perfectly match the few shots we see of them beforehand. That's the whole jarring aspect of it to me, how dead and disposed they look, despite them dying mere seconds prior.
    When Bond returns to Q, and discovers Vijay's been killed, we see Vijay's right foot, which is also looking pretty grey in no time.
    @thedove mentioned in another thread the slow motion scene with Leiter in the PTS of LTK. Slow motions in bond films are very rare. The ones I can remember are (apart from LTK) in DAD and the dove in MR. Are there others and does someone like any of these slowmotion scenes?
    @thedove mentioned in another thread the slow motion scene with Leiter in the PTS of LTK. Slow motions in bond films are very rare. The ones I can remember are (apart from LTK) in DAD and the dove in MR. Are there others and does someone like any of these slowmotion scenes?

I don't mind them at all if done right - I believe that breathtaking ski/parachute stunt that caps off the PTS of TSWLM is slightly slowed down.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed

Tomorrow never dies, abandon ship, sinking of the Devonshire
    Not keen on the slo-mos. The one in LTK is too Baywatch. All of them unnecessary.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Bond knocked unconscious after the Irma Bunt surprise in bed.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Not keen on the slo-mos. The one in LTK is too Baywatch. All of them unnecessary.

I think the way Michael Kamen scores that scene is over the top. Mind you this was the 80's with slow motion in lots of films of the day. I just think it's not really needed for that scene. Is that a director call or a director of photography call? Or does the editor get licence (pun intended) to insert these speciality shots?

w2bond wrote: »

Forgot this one. I think it works in this scene. It feels a bit more dramatic.
    w2bond wrote: »

Forgot this one. I think it works in this scene. It feels a bit more dramatic.

I really like this one. The score is terrific, too.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    One I thought about regarding TLD.
    How does Necros know about the Blayden safe house location?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Koskov must have tipped him off. Or they came to analyze and realize where they’d take him.
    They really are the laughing stock of the intelligence community.
    Why couldn’t Drax just built a brand new Moonraker ship before initiating his plan? If you think about it if Drax never stole back his shuttle to begin with Bond would have never been sent to investigate and Drax’s plan would have never been found out.
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Why couldn’t Drax just built a brand new Moonraker ship before initiating his plan? If you think about it if Drax never stole back his shuttle to begin with Bond would have never been sent to investigate and Drax’s plan would have never been found out.

I've always wondered this, too. It's not like he was on a timetable of any sort, and hell, he had gotten away with building so much of his secret rocket base in the Amazon and more without anyone else noticing, so such a highly publicized theft seems unnecessary.
    Well, from the perspective of narrative structure, Drax stole the shuttle so that there would be a Bond film. It's an excuse on which to hang the plot, not something meant to think about. Of course, one can make an attempt to come up with a plausible explanation. Clearly, the film wants us to think Drax was on a timetable. In real life, delaying a shuttle launch would imply significant monetary costs, but for all intents and purposes, in the film, Drax has endless money, and crucially, he's reinventing human society so his money might (will?) be worthless if his operation succeeds. So it's not something we're meant to consider either. Perhaps a better explanation would be that delaying the Moonraker program would result in several more months of needing to conceal the different aspects of the operation, at potentially great risk; not only the Amazon base, but the poison globes. We can imagine he'd be able to conceal those things as part of the work Drax Industries does, but there is a grey area there where we can speculate his employers at NASA might've grown suspicious of one thing or another.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited March 2019 Posts: 3,126
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that in terms of the Bond films, they pick and choose his DOB. As in it’s pretty changeable? I know that as the films move on and new actors come in that they’d have to change it, but instead of just year the entire date seems to change.
    Bond's DOBs, according to various documents:

10th November 1948 (TLD)
    10th November 1953 (GE/TND)
    6th May 1960/61 (DAD)
    13th April 1968 (CR)
    2nd March 1968 (SF)
    11th November 1972 (SP)

I guess James Bond is a codename.
    @mattjoes I'm guessing these are jokes as well?
    Revelator wrote: »

Wrong! He is a Time Lord.

I'm guessing this is a joke too? @Revelator
    Bond is really from Gallifrey. It would explain all the Bond props seen in Doctor Who episodes.
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that in terms of the Bond films, they pick and choose his DOB. As in it’s pretty changeable? I know that as the films move on and new actors come in that they’d have to change it, but instead of just year the entire date seems to change.

10th November 1948 (TLD)
    6th May 1960/61 (DAD)
    13th April 1968 (CR)
    2nd March 1968 (SF)
    11th November 1972 (SP)

Yeish.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    007Blofeld wrote: »

10th November 1948 (TLD)
    6th May 1960/61 (DAD)
    13th April 1968 (CR)
    2nd March 1968 (SF)
    11th November 1972 (SP)

Yeish.

Ok @mattjoes
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    fjdinardo wrote: »

I've always wondered this, too. It's not like he was on a timetable of any sort, and hell, he had gotten away with building so much of his secret rocket base in the Amazon and more without anyone else noticing, so such a highly publicized theft seems unnecessary.
    Exactly. Unless there was something about that particular Moonraker shuttle that he liked and wanted back. Maybe it was Moonraker 5 with the laser?
    edited March 2019 Posts: 6,733
    This is a long shot but no harm in asking.

Years ago I owned a CD featuring film music. It was mostly re-recordings, I think. I don't know if they were all made simultaneously for the CD or taken from different sources. Anyway, early into the album (probably no later than tracks 5-6), re-recordings of Thunderball and Goldfinger were included, one after the other, and I don't know in which order. They were instrumentals, with what I seem to remember was a synthesized sound. Does this album ring a bell for anyone? I looked it up but came up empty. I'd love to find out exactly what it was.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

Years ago I owned a CD featuring film music. It was mostly re-recordings, I think. I don't know if they were all made simultaneously for the CD or taken from different sources. Anyway, early into the album (probably no later than tracks 5-6), re-recordings of Thunderball and Goldfinger were included, one after the other, and I don't know in which order. They were instrumentals, with what I seem to remember was a synthesized sound. Does this album ring a bell for anyone? I looked it up but came up empty. I'd love to find out exactly what it was.

If it was synthesizer music I suggest you google for Ed Starink. He made a line of "Synthesizer Greatest" albums and not bad at all...just not the originals of course. I don't know if GF and TB were among them.

Yes I remember that CD. I bought it hoping to have all the original theme tunes and music. It was my holiday present for the r the summer of 1989. I was sorely disappointed.