Skyfall: Billion Dollar Bond

Comments

It's a pity one billion dollars no longer is a huge event like it was 10 years ago now we get at least two a year.
    As I already mentioned, 'Skyfall' has passed 'Inception' in my 'Please compare comparable franchises thoughtfully'-list (updated here as well). Now, BoxOfficeMojo started comparing the two movies :-):

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?id=skyfallinception.htm
    I'm confused skyfall has $221 mil in US while Inception has $292 mil so Skyfall has not passed it yet?
  • htall90 wrote:
    It's a pity one billion dollars no longer is a huge event like it was 10 years ago now we get at least two a year.
    Still a pretty significant accomplishment.

• htall90 wrote:
    As I already mentioned, 'Skyfall' has passed 'Inception' in my 'Please compare comparable franchises thoughtfully'-list (updated here as well). Now, BoxOfficeMojo started comparing the two movies :-):

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?id=skyfallinception.htm
    I'm confused skyfall has $221 mil in US while Inception has $292 mil so Skyfall has not passed it yet?

Sorry, almost! Hehe, updated by me. Sorry :-).
    Yes it is an achievement but we are getting to the point where every big franchise will expect a billion dollars from there films. For example warner bros will be disappointed with the Hobbit if it does not smash passed a billion dollars considering ROTK made $1.1 billion back in 2003. Also Batman and pirates will expect a billion dollars from future films after two already. We could soon have multiple $2 billion dollar movies at the moments these 2 Titanic and Avatar.
  • RC7RC7
    htall90 wrote:

I see where you're coming from. I still think it's pretty incredible to be where it is though, 50 years and 23 films down the line.
    As long as we can beat that bloody boy wizard. Flash B'stard. Comes round, makes a few billion in 10 years - and flies off. The cheek of it!
  • AgentJM7 wrote:
    As long as we can beat that bloody boy wizard. Flash B'stard. Comes round, makes a few billion in 10 years - and flies off. The cheek of it!
    Don't know as that will ever happen, as the boy wizard is going to draw in kids who won't necessarily be interested in the story of an assassin till later in life.

• htall90 wrote:
    Yes it is an achievement but we are getting to the point where every big franchise will expect a billion dollars from there films. For example warner bros will be disappointed with the Hobbit if it does not smash passed a billion dollars considering ROTK made $1.1 billion back in 2003. Also Batman and pirates will expect a billion dollars from future films after two already. We could soon have multiple $2 billion dollar movies at the moments these 2 Titanic and Avatar.

Not quite. I said it over and over again: Compare 'Skyfall' with similar franchises.

--> Batman is done now. Finished. Period. Unless Christopher Nolan wants to do a Robin-movie.

--> The Bourne movies? It shows us one thing. It was succesful, but the latest film 'The Bourne Legacy' is quite a failure compared to 'Skyfall'.

--> Mission: Impossible? Hmm, the last one was certainly a huge hit. I expect this franchise to compete slightly with Bond.

Pirates? Lord Of The Rings? Avengers? Avatar? 3D? The Hobbit? Those movies needs to have even bigger production budgets and are dependent on CGI much more than Bond. Considering the fact that from these franchises, the Bond films in essence are the most realistic movies to date. And that fact alone makes Bond a unique moneymaker.
    AgentJM7 wrote:

Lol unlikely to beat HP 8 that made $1.3 billion so almost no chance of that.

Batman is not finished it's being reboot as part of Justice league universe. G.G when you make this kind of money you get compared to other mega money makers no matter the genre also Lord of the rings was not that expensive relatively all three cost about $95 mil to make.
  • htall90 wrote:
    Batman is not finished it's being reboot as part of Justice league universe. G.G when you make this kind of money you get compared to other mega money makers no matter the genre also Lord of the rings was not that expensive relatively all three cost about $95 mil to make.

True, but that doesn't mean I should do that either. I mean, really, considering the quality of the movie 'Skyfall', apart from being a Bond film, it's truly amazing what it can do.
    Well historically if a movie is well received and part of a huge franchise they often make huge improvement on previous editions e.g TDK, Skyfall, HP8, The Avengers and ROTK.
    Just glad SF has whipped Mission Impossible and Bourne-less Legacy! (sorry Mrs Craig)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    LeChiffre wrote:
    Just glad SF has whipped Mission Impossible and Bourne-less Legacy! (sorry Mrs Craig)

Don't apologize. 'The Bourne Legacy' was trash.
    htall90 wrote:
    AgentJM7 wrote:

No, I was talking more about the franchises. I can't remember whether we have regained the top spot again?

Anyway, my point was that Bond should be in first place over an attention-seeking, book-trashing, cool-kid, 5 min wonder anyday.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Top spot may be ours with Bond 25. We've got a while yet plus who knows what will be top by that that? Marvel, I'd think. Plus there's Star Wars.
  • AgentJM7 wrote:
    htall90 wrote:
    AgentJM7 wrote:

No, I was talking more about the franchises. I can't remember whether we have regained the top spot again?

Anyway, my point was that Bond should be in first place over an attention-seeking, book-trashing, cool-kid, 5 min wonder anyday.

Still got a long way to go before overtaking Harry Potter, Bond's overtaken Star Wars though. That being said if Episode VII's any good the new trilogy may change that.

And don't knock Harry Potter, major part of my childhood there ;) (although movies 5 and 6 are the weakest for me)
  • htall90 wrote:
    Well historically if a movie is well received and part of a huge franchise they often make huge improvement on previous editions e.g TDK, Skyfall, HP8, The Avengers and ROTK.

Yup, I fully agree. The Bond franchise has updated itself with 'Skyfall' from a 'good assured moneymaker' to a 'extremely big soaring moneymaker'. I bet Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli want to keep it that way.

As I stated before, several aspects make 'Skyfall' unique from the previous six Bond films that Babs and Michael produced. They know it.
  • htall90 wrote:

Perhaps if you look at it this way it might seem a bit more special.

Only 13 films have ever made over a billion dollars, and the vast majority of that 13 have benefited highly form 3D ticket prices. Skyfall may end up in a very, very small group – a 50 year old franchise entry, in good old 2D, making it to a billion. A monumental achievement, in my opinion.

• htall90 wrote:

Perhaps if you look at it this way it might seem a bit more special.

Only 13 films have ever made over a billion dollars, and the vast majority of that 13 have benefited highly form 3D ticket prices. Skyfall may end up in a very, very small group – a 50 year old franchise entry, in good old 2D, making it to a billion. A monumental achievement, in my opinion.

Yup, an almost CGI-less, 2D movie. I fully agree.
    Tobester95 wrote:
    Still got a long way to go before overtaking Harry Potter, Bond's overtaken Star Wars though. That being said if Episode VII's any good the new trilogy may change that.

And don't knock Harry Potter, major part of my childhood there ;) (although movies 5 and 6 are the weakest for me)
    HP and Bond don't compare. HP has only been around a few years, with no long term future. Bond has been around 50 years, looks to continue for another 50 years, and is bigger than ever.

So I would say overall Bond is miles ahead of HP in terms of a franchise.

Amazing figures for Skyfall but thoroughly deserved. Looks like my prediction of $825 million is way out now! ;))
  • RogueAgent wrote:
    Amazing figures for Skyfall but thoroughly deserved. Looks like my prediction of $825 million is way out now! ;))

Are there any other forummembers here who were certain of a +$900 million figure? I am curious....
  • Tobester95 wrote:

HP and Bond don't compare. HP has only been around a few years, with no long term future. Bond has been around 50 years, looks to continue for another 50 years, and is bigger than ever.

I was merely comparing grosses, not longevity.
    Tobester95 wrote:
    Tobester95 wrote:

If you would look at overall grosses too, Bond has made more money in the long run obviously....having been going for 50 years.
  • Tobester95 wrote:
    Tobester95 wrote:

If you would look at overall grosses too, Bond has made more money in the long run obviously....having been going for 50 years.

Definitely if we're using inflation adjusted numbers, but unadjusted the top three are Harry Potter ($7 billion), Bond ($5 billion) and Star Wars ($4 billion)
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    edited November 2012 Posts: 1,380
    One thing to bear in mind peeps, the International total (as reported by box office stats sites like mojo) come from Sony who have live figures. Just because those said sites don't report the line by line updates per country does not mean we're "missing money" from the total. It's all there, it's just that the individual country's public reporting system all run slower than the info the studios & distributors get daily. So don't expect bumps because the likes of Brazil are 10 days late. It's already accounted for.

You can test this by adding up all the totals from the individual countries. It will be way short of the International total given by the studio as they lag behind publishing.

The exception to this is MGM's distributors, which are only a fraction of Sony's for SKYFALL, who can sometimes be late in reporting figures back to HQ.
    We talking like Skyfall has already passed $1 billion dollars WW lol. Although i think
    it will even it falls slightly short hopefully they release it again to push it over a billion like they did with TDK. I don't think there is any denying that HP is a worldwide Phenomenon one of the most popular film franchises of all time adjusted and unadjusted. Although i think the ending to Harry potter is dire really bad in my opinion like most big entertainment franchises it did not really no how to end well.
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    Top spot may be ours with Bond 25. We've got a while yet plus who knows what will be top by that that? Marvel, I'd think. Plus there's Star Wars.

There are more Avatar films coming soon too. Still, we're getting closer.