"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

jobo wrote: »
    With his 65th-minute strike against Real Valladolid on Dec. 22, Messi scored his 644th goal for Barca, breaking a long-standing record set by none other than the great Pele almost half a century ago.
    Astonishingly, Messi has scored more goals for one single club than any other player in the history of soccer.

Messi's record will never be beaten, maybe ?

Seems unlikely. They said the same thing about Pelé's record however...

The only record of Messis I am absolutely sure will never be beaten, is his record of 50 goals (!!) in one La Liga season. That is just absurd! 8-}

Pele had it easier than Messi because the brazilian league seemed much more inferior than playing in La Liga.

That is a bit of a myth actually. The Brazilian league was in fact very strong at the time. The Brazilian national team had an abundance of stars and basically all of them played in the Brazilian league. Santos would do occational European tours playing against European cup winners like Benfica, thrashing everything in their way.

On the othet hand I would make the case that defensive organization and fitness was not at the same level in the 60s, so on those terms one could argue Pelé had it "easier". But then again you could make a similar claim about Maradona in the 80s.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    With his 65th-minute strike against Real Valladolid on Dec. 22, Messi scored his 644th goal for Barca, breaking a long-standing record set by none other than the great Pele almost half a century ago.
    Astonishingly, Messi has scored more goals for one single club than any other player in the history of soccer.

The only record of Messis I am absolutely sure will never be beaten, is his record of 50 goals (!!) in one La Liga season. That is just absurd! 8-}

Pele had it easier than Messi because the brazilian league seemed much more inferior than playing in La Liga.

That is a bit of a myth actually. The Brazilian league was in fact very strong at the time. The Brazilian national team had an abundance of stars and basically all of them played in the Brazilian league. Santos would do occational European tours playing against European cup winners like Benfica, thrashing everything in their way.

On the othet hand I would make the case that defensive organization and fitness was not at the same level in the 60s, so on those terms one could argue Pelé had it "easier". But then again you could make a similar claim about Maradona in the 80s.

Santos was like the Brazilian team. They dominated in brazil. What was the opposition teams pele played against like in brazil ? Weaker financially and defensively no doubt ?

Don't you think Messi had it harder than Pele ?
  • edited December 2020 Posts: 7,500

Santos was like the Brazilian team. They dominated in brazil. What was the opposition teams pele played against like in brazil ? Weaker financially and defensively no doubt ?

Don't you think Messi had it harder than Pele ?

I stated in my post that I do think Messi had it harder, but for different reasons. After all most teams Messi face and have faced in La Liga are weaker financially as well, so that is not really a valid argument. I do however, as hinted at in my post, believe they are far better organized and more willing to park the bus than Brazilian teams in the 60s, and defenders are much more physically strong today. I say that without having watched a single Brazilian league game from that era though... It is basically speculation on my part... as it is with you as well... ;)

And I say this as someone who has dedicated my footballing fandom to Barca and Messi. Just so you know... However I do think the attempts by many to discredit Pelé's career don't hold up well in many cases. His reputation is well deserved! After all we are talking about a player that at the age of 17 played a decisive role for Brazil in the latter stages of the World Cup in 58, and was one of the tournaments best players. At seventeen!! :O
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited December 2020 Posts: 2,354
    Cristiano Ronaldo is best Premier League transfer, say Sky Sports News' Transfer Show team
    Cristiano Ronaldo's move to Manchester United for little more than £12m from Sporting Lisbon in 2003 won over signings of Thierry Henry for Arsenal, Mohamed Salah for Liverpool and Sergio Aguero for Manchester City

Top 20

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Thierry Henry
    Eric Cantona
    Frank Lampard
    Roy Keane
    Didier Drogba
    Sol Campbell
    Wayne Rooney
    Vincent Company
    Alan Shearer
    Mohamed Salah
    N'Golo Kante
    Dennis Bergkamp
    Virgil van Dijk
    Gianfranco Zola
    David Silva
    Patrick Vieira
    Eden Hazard
    Sergio Aguero
    Petr Cech
    https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12172596/cristiano-ronaldo-is-best-premier-league-transfer-say-sky-sports-news-transfer-show-team
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    @Torgeirtrap I guess if Arsenal are defeated today, it confirms our relegation fight status.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I think Arsenal will get a result v Chelsea today, if Arteta can't motivate them for this home London Derby then surely he is done.
    I think Arsenal will get a result v Chelsea today, if Arteta can't motivate them for this home London Derby then surely he is done.

Hmmmm wish I could have that confidence though.
  • edited December 2020 Posts: 17,294
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    @Torgeirtrap I guess if Arsenal are defeated today, it confirms our relegation fight status.

@GadgetMan Given their performances of late I'd argue that they're already there, it's just that they're not (yet) there on paper.

I think they'll stick with Arteta no matter the result today or going forward. They've put everything into backing him, and I can't see them even exploring the idea of replacing him.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Chelsea are fully capable of not turning up, looking forward to the game and as a United supporter I hope Arsenal win.

Chelsea are fully capable of not turning up, looking forward to the game and as a United supporter I hope Arsenal win.

Yeah, we can only hope for the best though.
    Yeah, it's the sad truth @Torgeirtrap
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns Wow! United really threw away that lead though.

Did not watch the game though sounds like bad defending from commentary.

Ten man Villa convincingly beat Palace 3 - 0 (It was 1 - 0 when Mings was sent off, Villa could easily have had 5 goals)

Ten man Villa convincingly beat Palace 3 - 0 (It was 1 - 0 when Mings was sent off, Villa could easily have had 5 goals)

Yeah, Bad defending it was.

Villa won't just go away LOL

Just watching highlights, Rashford missed two great chances and our defense were sleeping, probably had too much Turkey at Christmas lol

Just watching highlights, Rashford missed two great chances and our defense were sleeping, probably had too much Turkey at Christmas lol

:)) it could be.
    An OK start by the gunners Martinelli probably should have scored.
    An OK start by the gunners Martinelli probably should have scored.

Yeah. He should have.
    That tackle by Mari, I bet the bookies no longer take bets on whether Arsenal will get a red card.
    That tackle by Mari, I bet the bookies no longer take bets on whether Arsenal will get a red card.

Bound to happen. A very 'taking one for the team' booking though.
    Get in, Lacazette penalty, just want to see Chelsea lose.
    2 - 0 Cracking free kick
    2 - 0 Cracking free kick

Yeah. Good half for Arsenal. Let's hope they maintain the lead. Because I need to hear the final whistle before I can believe fully.
    2 - 0 Cracking free kick

Yeah. Good half for Arsenal. Let's hope they maintain the lead. Because I need to hear the final whistle before I can believe fully.

On recent form that makes sense, though Chelsea I have watched them when they have lost this season and in those games they looked liked they would not score if they had several hours to do so.
    2 - 0 Cracking free kick

On recent form that makes sense, though Chelsea I have watched them when they have lost this season and in those games they looked liked they would not score if they had several hours to do so.

Yeah. I'm seriously counting on that to see Arsenal through.
    Why Arteta has been so reluctant to start Emile Smith Rowe I will never understand…

The youngsters are carrying this team.
    Youngsters have done well, Martinelli is a player though just needs game time.
    Why Arteta has been so reluctant to start Emile Smith Rowe I will never understand…

The youngsters are carrying this team.

Honestly. It's all about the youngsters at the moment. There's something Fabregas about Rowe.