"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited December 2020 Posts: 2,357
    Football 2-1 Anti-football.... :))

Tottenham completed only 75 passes in the first half, the fewest by a José Mourinho side in a league match since his Real Madrid side completed only 54 in the opening 45 minutes against Pep Guardiola's Barcelona in April 2012 - his Real side won 2-1. Strategy.

Asked about what appeared to be a testy exchange with Klopp after the final whistle, Mourinho told Amazon Prime: "The best team lost and he disagreed but that's his opinion.

"I told him the best team lost. He disagreed. That's his opinion. By the way, if I behaved the way on the touchline like he does, I have no chance to stay there - and I'm out after a minute. I'm treated different - and that's sad."
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    BREAKING: Premier League clubs vote to approve concussion substitutes but reject vote for five subs!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

'...we pinned them right back to the edge of our own box' :))
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria

'...we pinned them right back to the edge of our own box' :))

:)) This guy!
    Well, crucial game today for Arteta. I think the reason Arsenal are not that worried about sacking Arteta, is because he won trophies early and he has only done one transfer window.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Well, crucial game today for Arteta. I think the reason Arsenal are not that worried about sacking Arteta, is because he won trophies early and he has only done one transfer window.

The reasons the board probably has confidence in Arteta is the fact that the squad is too big, and that the big shakeup in the squad can only happen next summer, when several players with outgoing contracts are likely to leave. What is worrying though, is what can happen in the meantime. Arsenal need to keep themselves within the top six for financial reasons just as much as sporting reasons, but it's looking increasingly unlikely to happen now.

The reasons the board probably has confidence in Arteta is the fact that the squad is too big, and that the big shakeup in the squad can only happen next summer, when several players with outgoing contracts are likely to leave. What is worrying though, is what can happen in the meantime. Arsenal need to keep themselves within the top six for financial reasons just as much as sporting reasons, but it's looking increasingly unlikely to happen now.

Yeah. Fair point. Truly worrying times for Arsenal. I'm not sure I can stomach another loss today.

Yeah. Fair point. Truly worrying times for Arsenal. I'm not sure I can stomach another loss today.

We better brace ourselves. The fixture list doesn't fill me with confidence:

Everton (A)
    Manchester City (Carabao Cup)
    Chelsea (H)
    Brighton (A)
    West Bromwich (A)

Arsenal could easily lose all of these games…

Everton (A)
    Chelsea (H)
    Brighton (A)
    West Bromwich (A)

Honestly, they could at this rate. They just need to find some sort of spark from somewhere.
  • edited December 2020 Posts: 17,356

Everton (A)
    Chelsea (H)
    Brighton (A)
    West Bromwich (A)

Honestly, they could at this rate. They just need to find some sort of spark from somewhere.

Indeed!

Everton (A)
    Chelsea (H)
    Brighton (A)
    West Bromwich (A)

Indeed!

Again!!!!!
    Ouch! watching Everton v Arsenal i was just thinking how many Arsenal players would get in the Everton side.

Everton (A)
    Chelsea (H)
    Brighton (A)
    West Bromwich (A)

Indeed!

Again!!!!!

So, so predictable, isn't it.
    Ouch! watching Everton v Arsenal i was just thinking how many Arsenal players would get in the Everton side.

I think we all know the answer to that!

I genuinely belive this team will get relegated playing like this.
    Penalty... No Auba...

Yeah. Sadly, Most of the players are average.
    Decent pen, plus means no clean sheet for Everton ;)
    2-1. Couldn't even get to half-time without conceding again.
  • edited December 2020 Posts: 7,506
    It still disappoints me that Rob Holding is not a holding midfielder. Just as it did dissapoint med that Tom Cleverly was so lacking in football understanding... At least Eric Dier is as dire as they come ;)
    jobo wrote: »
    It still disappoints me that Rob Holding is not a holding midfielder. Just as it did dissapoint med that Tom Cleverly was so lacking in football understanding... At least Eric Dier is as dire as they come ;)

Dier is doing fine under Mourinho, to be honest.
    ______

There's your half-time change sorted, Mikel.

_______

Aaaaaand there's no changes made. Not surprised…
    I really don't understand Willian's Arsenal form to be honest.

Indeed, and you wonder why the club even wanted to pay him that enormous salary in the first place. Kia Joorabchian's influence on this club is truly worrying.

Indeed, and you wonder why the club even wanted to pay him that enormous salary in the first place. Kia Joorabchian's influence on this club is truly worrying.

Yeah. The salary's huge. And we know there's a PLAYER in him, that's why it's such a wonder as to why he's playing this way.

Yeah. The salary's huge. And we know there's a PLAYER in him, that's why it's such a wonder as to why he's playing this way.

It's worrying isn't it, that even those players you'd expect to step up under Arteta also fail to deliver.

It's worrying isn't it, that even those players you'd expect to step up under Arteta also fail to deliver.

Very worrying!

Yeah. Sadly, Most of the players are average.

Good younger players though cant souly rely on them as naturally will be inconsistent.

I remember Martinelli good talent at least a good goal threat.
    edited December 2020 Posts: 23,568
    Sideshow Bob trying to get Richarlison off the pitch as quick as possible was funny.

Arsenal waited till the last two minutes to have any sense of urgency not good this team is in big trouble.
    edited December 2020 Posts: 4,247

Yeah. That's it. @Fire_and_Ice_Returns

Sure, Martinelli is good. The problem with Arsenal now is, it's been a while Arsenal had 6 very good players, that you can't tell which is better than the other. In recent years, It's always one player, Arsenal always count on and it's never enough.
    Sideshow Bob trying to get Richarlison off the pitch as quick as possible was funny.

Arsenal waited till the last two minutes to have any sense of urgency not good this team is in big trouble.

More than in trouble – it's completely shambles. It's very evident that this team is not capable of doing what Arteta asks them to do (whatever that is…). Can they afford to even give him until the next transfer window?

Sure, Martinelli is good. The problem with Arsenal now is, it's been a while Arsenal had 6 very good players, that you can't tell which is better than the other. In recent years, It's always one player, Arsenal always count on and it's never enough.

The quicker Partey is back the better he has the leadership attributes you need.

The quicker Partey is back the better he has the leadership attributes you need.

Honestly! We need Partey for a quick fix.