"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    A must-win game and Xhaka does that?! What the hell?!!

Relegation here we go.

Watching Leicester Xhaka sent off?

Yes! Losing his head like that…It's reason enough for a player to be sold, given the situation the club's at.
    Goal to Burnley? AUBAMEYANG

It just gets better and better… What now Arteta?

Arteta lost against Wolves, Leicester, Burnley possibly etc... surely his position is untenable?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Fans leaving early despite only just returning, not good.
  • edited December 2020 Posts: 17,356

Relegation here we go.

Yes! Losing his head like that…It's reason enough for a player to be sold, given the situation the club's at.

Arteta lost against Wolves, Leicester, Burnley possibly etc... surely his position is untenable?

It should be, but this is Arsenal, a club not used to making big calls like the other clubs do. But there's two issues here: it's Arteta sticking with playing players that shouldn't be in the starting eleven, and there's the fact that he's inherited a squad filled with players that neither Wenger or Emery managed to get the best out of. Who can? And who wants to even get anywhere near the Arsenal job? I think it's few suitable managers who would want it.

These two issues will keep Arsenal from progressing at all, but does the club do anything? No.

Not surprising.

Relegation here we go.

It should be, but this is Arsenal, a club not used to making big calls like the other clubs do. But there's two issues here: it's Arteta sticking with playing players that shouldn't be in the starting eleven, and there's the fact that he's inherited a squad filled with players that neither Wenger or Emery managed to get the best out of. Who can? And who wants to even get anywhere near the Arsenal job? I think it's few suitable managers who would want it.

These two issues will keep Arsenal from progressing at all, but does the club do anything? No.

Not surprising.

Southampton at home next surely make or break for Arteta, surely the younger players should be given a chance they have been decent in cups?

Relegation here we go.

Not surprising.

Southampton at home next surely make or break for Arteta, surely the younger players should be given a chance they have been decent in cups?

You'd think that game would be, but I can't see them addressing the manager position. They've put all their confidence in Arteta to be the one to change things around, and I don't think they're even thinking about a post-Arteta situation at all.

My guess is that he will keep playing the younger players in Europe, then stick with the more experienced (but out of form) players in the league. He doesn't look remotely interested in changing things up.
    ____

On a side note: I can't help but dream of Henry or Vieira one day managing Arsenal. At the same time, I think they'd be too demanding for this Arsenal team.

Quite telling comment from Evra here:

Relegation here we go.

Not surprising.

You'd think that game would be, but I can't see them addressing the manager position. They've put all their confidence in Arteta to be the one to change things around, and I don't think they're even thinking about a post-Arteta situation at all.

My guess is that he will keep playing the younger players in Europe, then stick with the more experienced (but out of form) players in the league. He doesn't look remotely interested in changing things up.
    ____

On a side note: I can't help but dream of Henry or Vieira one day managing Arsenal. At the same time, I think they'd be too demanding for this Arsenal team.

Just watched the highlights what was Elneny doing in the box pushed a player then dropped to the floor as if he had been hit with bad acting, how was that not a red?

Henry and Vierra would certainly short term have a positive effect though have they both tried management and not done well?

Relegation here we go.

Not surprising.

____

Just watched the highlights what was Elneny doing in the box pushed a player then dropped to the floor as if he had been hit with bad acting, how was that not a red?

Henry and Vierra would certainly short term have a positive effect though have they both tried management and not done well?

Didn't even catch that incident, but heard about it afterwards. You don't even know what to say after a game like this. It's a project in meltdown. As Arsenal writer James McNicholas just said in one of his regular post-match Youtube videos:

"…and one thing that's fascinating as well is, I've never seen the positive sentiment a manager has evaporate quite so quicly."
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited December 2020 Posts: 2,357

Relegation here we go.

Not surprising.

____

Didn't even catch that incident, but heard about it afterwards. You don't even know what to say after a game like this. It's a project in meltdown. As Arsenal writer James McNicholas just said in one of his regular post-match Youtube videos:

"…and one thing that's fascinating as well is, I've never seen the positive sentiment a manager has evaporate quite so quicly."

I can't remember the last time Arsenal started the season this bad.
    Probably decades ago ?

Relegation here we go.

Not surprising.

____

Probably decades ago ?

This many home defeats in a row hasn't happened since the 50's, I believe. Saw it mentioned somewhere.

Relegation here we go.

Not surprising.

____

Probably decades ago ?

This many home defeats in a row hasn't happened since the 50's, I believe. Saw it mentioned somewhere.

Looks like he has lost the players. Do you think that's true ?
    Gerard Houllier: Former Liverpool manager dies aged 73 R. I. P.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/sport/amp/football/55300386

Relegation here we go.

Not surprising.

____

Probably decades ago ?

Rumour has it that he and David Luiz are not no longer on speaking terms, but we really don't know if there's any truth to it. But there's something terribly wrong at Arsenal, so it wouldn't surprise me if the players has had enough.

Relegation here we go.

Not surprising.

____

Probably decades ago ?

Rumour has it that he and David Luiz are not no longer on speaking terms, but we really don't know if there's any truth to it. But there's something terribly wrong at Arsenal, so it wouldn't surprise me if the players has had enough.

Arsenal have made their worst start to a top-flight season since 1974-75.
    How do you think you'll go against Southampton ?
    edited December 2020 Posts: 23,568
    Going to watch the Arsenal v Southampton a few changes for Arsenal, Arteta's demeanor does not inspire confidence he seems detached though maybe that just in front of the camera.

Arsenal Ultra defensive at home, there midfield looks week.
    Going to watch the Arsenal v Southampton a few changes for Arsenal, Arteta's demeanor does not inspire confidence he seems detached though maybe that just in front of the camera.

Arsenal Ultra defensive at home, there midfield looks week.

Arsenal are really lacking in midfield. If they're not targeting a creative midfielder, it's about time Maitland-Niles gets a run of games. It's strange that Arteta doesn't play him more often.
    Couldn't get more predictable. 0-1 Southampton, Walcott.

lol when I saw him warming up it crossed my mind

He's in good form too, so it wasn't at all surprising that it was him that should score that goal.

He's in good form too, so it wasn't at all surprising that it was him that should score that goal.

Always a good motivation when against former team, Southampton are a very well organised side will be tough for Arsenal. Though we came back from 2 - 0 to win 3 - 2 anything is possible.

Always a good motivation when against former team, Southampton are a very well organised side will be tough for Arsenal. Though we came back from 2 - 0 to win 3 - 2 anything is possible.

If Arsenal were capable of scoring, then maybe! Doesn't look to happen anytime soon though.

If Arsenal were capable of scoring, then maybe! Doesn't look to happen anytime soon though.

Arsenal look clueless to be honest, some players lack of effort is evident.

They've given up on Arteta, most likely.

And there Gabriel gets a red as well!

Close by Redmond, not good for Arteta

They're bound to score again eventually. No way into this game for Arsenal with ten men.

They're bound to score again eventually. No way into this game for Arsenal with ten men.

20 minutes to go going to be tough Southampton are a good side, Arteta looks like he will try to protect the draw.

Surely Auba needs to be playing as a central striker.

20 minutes to go going to be tough Southampton are a good side, Arteta looks like he will try to protect the draw.

Surely Auba needs to be playing as a central striker.

Arsenal really need more than a draw from this game. With Everton and Chelsea coming up, you won't expect Arsenal to get any points from those matches.

He really needs to, but somehow no manager at Arsenal lets him…
    So close at the end for Arsenal

So, so frustrating! This one point ain't doing much for them either. I mean, it's better than no points at all, but still…

So, so frustrating! This one point ain't doing much for them either. I mean, it's better than no points at all, but still…

A draw better than a loss in the end.

A draw better than a loss in the end.

Yes. But there's a lot to put the finger on (again): Three red cards in five games for Arsenal; that's something that needs to be addressed. The discipline seems non-existent.