"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Paul Merson believes Thomas Partey's inclusion in the Arsenal midfield should allow for Mesut Ozil to be reintroduced to the team.

Ozil was left out of Mikel Arteta's squad for the Premier League and Europa League group stages this season, and has not played a minute for the club since March.

"For me, Mesut Ozil comes back in the team if Thomas Partey is fit," said the former Arsenal forward. "Partey gets around the pitch, dominates the midfield and dictates the game. Him playing opens up a chance for Ozil.

"At the moment, Arsenal have nobody in there to provide the forwards. You can make runs all day long, but if you're a centre-forward, your runs are only as good as the players playing behind you."
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Yeah @007InAction there's absolutely no doubt that Arsenal lacks serious creativity at the moment. Although, Ozil's Arsenal situation, at the moment seems odd. If only Ozil had a bit of physicality to his game. Fascinating that after all these years in the premier league, Ozil still struggles with the premier league's physicality.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Yeah @007InAction there's absolutely no doubt that Arsenal lacks serious creativity at the moment. Although, Ozil's Arsenal situation, at the moment seems odd. If only Ozil had a bit of physicality to his game. Fascinating that after all these years in the premier league, Ozil still struggles with the premier league's physicality.

Should they bring back Ozil or is it too late ?

Should they bring back Ozil or is it too late ?

Well, with Arsenal's present dire situation, he would be a good addition, but I think it's late, because pride might not let Arteta bring him back, since Ozil was never in his plans.
    Great to see Arsenal winning a game (!), with supporters back at the stadium.

Indeed @Torgeirtrap :-bd also great to have Pablo Mari back and good to see him scoring as well.

Indeed @Torgeirtrap :-bd also great to have Pablo Mari back and good to see him scoring as well.

His (and Chambers') return couldn't have come at a better time! Arsenal desperately need fit players available.

His (and Chambers') return couldn't have come at a better time! Arsenal desperately need fit players available.

Spurs v Arsenal is massive for both teams this week.

Exactly.

It is. Huge game.
    edited December 2020 Posts: 4,247

For Arsenal's case, it's a crucial game. Sp*rs look too strong to beat though, so I'm expecting Arsenal to lose.

For Arsenal's case, it's a crucial game. Sp*rs look too strong to beat though, so I'm expecting Arsenal to lose.

What are arteta's tactics ? Man mark kane and son or defend and attack on the break ?

What are arteta's tactics ? Man mark kane and son or defend and attack on the break ?

Wouldn't surprise me if that's the tactic this afternoon. Really interested in the Arsenal lineup today. Lacazette looked sharp on Thursday and should be in consideration.
    1-0 Sp*rs. Arsenal as bad you'd expect against a team like this.
    2-0 FT. This is just so, so bad. Won't be surprised to see them in the bottom three by the end of the year.

Question now is if they can stick with Arteta. They have given him more backing than Emery ever got, yet the results are worse. A top side would be looking at replacements for a while already, but I doubt Arsenal will be.
    2-0 FT. This is just so, so bad. Won't be surprised to see them in the bottom three by the end of the year.

Question now is if they can stick with Arteta. They have given him more backing than Emery ever got, yet the results are worse. A top side would be looking at replacements for a while already, but I doubt Arsenal will be.

But he's sooo handsome ;)
  • edited December 2020 Posts: 17,373
    jobo wrote: »

So is Giroud and they showed him the door – which is funny, because he'd do well in this Arsenal team right now.

If they have any abitions whatsoever, they need to address the managerial situation as much as the squad. The easiest way to start right now is with the former.
    edited December 2020 Posts: 2,362
    jobo wrote: »

So is Giroud and they showed him the door – which is funny, because he'd do well in this Arsenal team right now.

If they have any abitions whatsoever, they need to address the managerial situation as much as the squad. The easiest way to start right now is with the former.

Arsenal could do,
    With someone like Giroud

It even rhymes.... :)>-
    Right, let's start with some reaction to last night's big story involving unsettled Manchester United star Paul Pogba, who is unhappy at Old Trafford and has to leave the club in the summer transfer window, according to his agent Mino Raiola.

Well, former United captain and Sky Sports pundit Gary Neville has criticised the timing of yesterday's announcement, tweeting last night:

"Raiola - It’s happened many times before . However surely Paul knew he was making this announcement? If he wasn’t aware then we should see a quote from him very soon correcting his agent. Finally to do this ahead of Leipzig and the Man Derby is terrible timing for the Team."
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited December 2020 Posts: 23,689
    Right, let's start with some reaction to last night's big story involving unsettled Manchester United star Paul Pogba, who is unhappy at Old Trafford and has to leave the club in the summer transfer window, according to his agent Mino Raiola.

Well, former United captain and Sky Sports pundit Gary Neville has criticised the timing of yesterday's announcement, tweeting last night:

"Raiola - It’s happened many times before . However surely Paul knew he was making this announcement? If he wasn’t aware then we should see a quote from him very soon correcting his agent. Finally to do this ahead of Leipzig and the Man Derby is terrible timing for the Team."

As a United fan let him go in January, he is overrated, clearly has ability though hardly ever delivers. The timing is terrible before our biggest game of the season, totally irresponsible. If Ole plays him tonight he is weak.

I am not even angry, I am just bored of the saga.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Crazy night yesterday in Rome where Lazio made it through the second round for the first time since 2001 and only for the third time in their history.

A shaky qualification against my countrymen from Club Bruges, who were unlucky in the end, hitting the crossbar in the dying seconds of the game.

Elsewhere rather impressive wins for Juventus at Barcelona and for Leipzig against Man. United.

As a United fan let him go in January, he is overrated, clearly has ability though hardly ever delivers. The timing is terrible before our biggest game of the season, totally irresponsible. If Ole plays him tonight he is weak.

I am not even angry, I am just bored of the saga.

Yeah they should sell him and buy some more Portuguese players like bruno, jota etc
    Nice...... :D
    r788586_400x600_2-3.jpg

For Torgeirtrap ? :)>-
    r788602_656x656_1-1.jpg

For Fire_and_Ice_Returns ? :)>-
    r788587_899x899_1-1.jpg
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    lol at the Christmas jumpers, though the United jumper should have bah humbug written on it lol
    A must-win game and Xhaka does that?! What the hell?!!

Relegation here we go.

Relegation here we go.

Watching Leicester Xhaka sent off?
    edited December 2020 Posts: 23,689
    Goal to Burnley? AUBAMEYANG

Relegation here we go.

Watching Leicester Xhaka sent off?

Yes! Losing his head like that…It's reason enough for a player to be sold, given the situation the club's at.
    Goal to Burnley? AUBAMEYANG

It just gets better and better… What now Arteta?