"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

GadgetMan wrote: »
    Yeah. That's it. @Fire_and_Ice_Returns

Sure, Martinelli is good. The problem with Arsenal now is, it's been a while Arsenal had 6 very good players, that you can't tell which is better than the other. In recent years, It's always one player, Arsenal always count on and it's never enough.

The quicker Partey is back the better he has the leadership attributes you need.

Question is how long he's out for as he was rushed back only to get injured again. Won't be surprised if he misses all the December games.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Lionel Messi equalled Pele's record of 643 goals for a single club after scoring for Barcelona against Valencia in La Liga on Saturday. Amazing.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Sideshow Bob trying to get Richarlison off the pitch as quick as possible was funny.

Arsenal waited till the last two minutes to have any sense of urgency not good this team is in big trouble.

More than in trouble – it's completely shambles. It's very evident that this team is not capable of doing what Arteta asks them to do (whatever that is…). Can they afford to even give him until the next transfer window?

Very tough question I must say.

I think two very good creative Midfielders would just solve Arsenal's problems right now.
  • edited December 2020 Posts: 17,352
    Sideshow Bob trying to get Richarlison off the pitch as quick as possible was funny.

Arsenal waited till the last two minutes to have any sense of urgency not good this team is in big trouble.

More than in trouble – it's completely shambles. It's very evident that this team is not capable of doing what Arteta asks them to do (whatever that is…). Can they afford to even give him until the next transfer window?

Indeed. Would be really interesting to know what the board are thinking after these results.

I think two very good creative Midfielders would just solve Arsenal's problems right now.

Creative midfielders are highly sought after, and you'd think that the ones of the quality Arsenal require might find a proposal from a more "stable" club much more appealing. If I were Arteta, I'd consider giving Emile Smith Rowe some game time. Surely he can't be any worse than what recent performances have shown…
    Lionel Messi equalled Pele's record of 643 goals for a single club after scoring for Barcelona against Valencia in La Liga on Saturday. Amazing.

Great news for him. It was bound to happen though.

Indeed. Would be really interesting to know what the board are thinking after these results.

Creative midfielders are highly sought after, and you'd think that the ones of the quality Arsenal require might find a proposal from a more "stable" club much more appealing. If I were Arteta, I'd consider giving Emile Smith Rowe some game time. Surely he can't be any worse than what recent performances have shown…

Very interesting, indeed.

Yeah, Rowe would be a great addition, considering our recent situation.

All Arsenals top players have lost form at the same time.

Auba was one of the best strikers in the world months ago.

It looks like Arteta days are numbered unless he can miraculously transform them ?

It looks like Arteta days are numbered unless he can miraculously transform them ?

Yeah. The whole thing is a mystery right now.

It's mostly due to the opposition of course, but it's interesting to see that the EL team with the likes of Smith Rowe, Reiss Nelson, Balogun etc. look much more a creative threat than the PL team…

I doubt he can pull that out of the bag, the way the team are playing like now. The look out of ideas – from Arteta and the coaches to the players themselves. That's usually the sign of a manager who's time at the club is up, but I doubt the Arsenal hierarchy will resort to any other solution than hoping for the best.

This tweet sums up the club quite well.

@Torgeirtrap the scary part now is, I don't know which team Arsenal can beat right now in the Premier League....it's looking like Arsenal can't beat anyone at the moment.
    @Torgeirtrap the scary part now is, I don't know which team Arsenal can beat right now in the Premier League....it's looking like Arsenal can't beat anyone at the moment.

@GadgetMan Agree. They look capable of losing to anyone. Looking at some of the lower half teams play, they look much more structured than Arsenal do. Even Sheffield United and West Brom look more threatening.

I think it was Jamie Carragher who last night said Arsenal are too good to go down. They sure are not!

@GadgetMan Agree. They look capable of losing to anyone. Looking at some of the lower half teams play, they look much more structured than Arsenal do. Even Sheffield United and West Brom look more threatening.

I think it was Jamie Carragher who last night said Arsenal are too good to go down. They sure are not!

Exactly!

Exactly!

Carragher also commented that: "But they need a few more players in the January transfer window. If Arteta can get six or seven players in then he can be judged on the job that he's doing."

Arteta would need at least two transfer windows to even get seven players – and that might be to late anyway.

Exactly!

Carragher also commented that: "But they need a few more players in the January transfer window. If Arteta can get six or seven players in then he can be judged on the job that he's doing."

Arteta would need at least two transfer windows to even get seven players – and that might be to late anyway.

Yeah, that's it. We need like six very good players to make this team work. But we need at least two creative midfielders in January. But it's easier said than done though.

Exactly!

Yeah, that's it. We need like six very good players to make this team work. But we need at least two creative midfielders in January. But it's easier said than done though.

It's hard to see funds stretch to two quality creative midfielders, as much as that midfield requires it.

I really just don't know where Arteta can take things from here; he's picking players that are letting him down, which in turn affects the results and is putting the club in a relegation fight.

Exactly!

It's hard to see funds stretch to two quality creative midfielders, as much as that midfield requires it.

I really just don't know where Arteta can take things from here; he's picking players that are letting him down, which in turn affects the results and is putting the club in a relegation fight.

Very strange relegation fight to be honest. I still think keeping Xhaka in the team was a mistake from Arteta's part. Aside from Xhaka's usual shenanigans, I've never considered him good enough for a top team.

Exactly!

Very strange relegation fight to be honest. I still think keeping Xhaka in the team was a mistake from Arteta's part. Aside from Xhaka's usual shenanigans, I've never considered him good enough for a top team.

I agree, though I expect Xhaka will get straight back into that midfield when he returns. It seems that Arteta – as did Emery for that matter – is rewarding players that are a vocal presence in the dressing room with playing time. Yet, their leadership is non-existent on the pitch.
    edited December 2020 Posts: 4,247

Exactly!

I agree, though I expect Xhaka will get straight back into that midfield when he returns. It seems that Arteta – as did Emery for that matter – is rewarding players that are a vocal presence in the dressing room with playing time. Yet, their leadership is non-existent on the pitch.

Exactly! All talk and clapping of hands without action.

Exactly!

And the only actions they do on the pitch, is stuff like foolishly getting sent off, putting the team in more trouble…

Exactly!

And the only actions they do on the pitch, is stuff like foolishly getting sent off, putting the team in more trouble…

Sadly, true.
    edited December 2020 Posts: 2,357

Exactly!

Sadly, true.

Arteta and his players are lucky they are no fans allowed in the stadium. They would be copping heaps if there was, as you guys know.

Exactly!

Sadly, true.

Arteta and his players are lucky they are no fans allowed in the stadium. They would be copping heaps if there was, as you guys know.

In the one game with fans in the stadium there was quite a bit of booing at the end.

Exactly!

Sadly, true.

Exactly @007InAction and it's the more reason they have to sort themselves out, before the fans come back fully.

Exactly!

Sadly, true.

In the one game with fans in the stadium there was quite a bit of booing at the end.

Very true. Even with the little that came.

Exactly!

Sadly, true.

Do you think this is true ?

"The Mirror report that some Arsenal players have been left unhappy by the continued exodus of Mesut Ozil and Sokratis, who were big characters in the team in the past - causing a deepening crisis and toxic dressing room."

Exactly!

Sadly, true.

"The Mirror report that some Arsenal players have been left unhappy by the continued exodus of Mesut Ozil and Sokratis, who were big characters in the team in the past - causing a deepening crisis and toxic dressing room."

Hmmmm, Well, I think the dressing room is obviously not in a healthy shape at the moment. So unfortunately, negative things are possible at Arsenal now. They just need something positive to happen....and fast!
    edited December 2020 Posts: 2,357

Exactly!

Sadly, true.

Hmmmm, Well, I think the dressing room is obviously not in a healthy shape at the moment. So unfortunately, negative things are possible at Arsenal now. They just need something positive to happen....and fast!

Can you get down to the Arsenal Stadium, if you have time, and have a word to the boys ? :)>-

data=mD0CTbCFiZyNLRIXUPHXR9vjKCRTBLrMU0hME9lEUPx73f53DSmUttoZSW-8sGG09CQZmc5CwROURRbp-BM3Duc-54VBqnQdaH4sIWZ7MJgo1DVFNvdKAumQ5jrtQn4nRqd3aymX3c5LyC_bXDBxRVxO_xWIpt0IlZ46cixOUJf8PKGPR5EEM0wC4kj6CWfzR7yCRV65qFpdQElztq39IpJniJ2icd5P

What would you say to them ?

Exactly!

Sadly, true.

Can you get down to the Arsenal Stadium, if you have time, and have a word to the boys ? :)>-

What would you say to them ?

Hmmmm, I think Arteta has been saying a lot to them before as well. But what I really think is, majority of the players can't carry out Arteta's instructions on the pitch. I think he needs major signings at Arsenal. Most of the players at Arsenal are average players. And we need to stop having just one good player. It's either just Van Persie, Sanchez and now Aubameyang. We need like 6-7 very good players if we want to win the league again.

Even the Leicester team that won the league wasn't just about Vardy.